PDA

View Full Version : Neverending Dungeon - Talm

Tanaric
2009-12-30, 10:18 PM
The air surrounding you fairly hums with the residue of magic, an aftereffect of the spell that brought you to this place. A quick glance reveals that you are in a small room, devoid of any life save for yourself. The sound of dripping water can be heard faintly, and the stone walls are slick with moisture. In complete defiance of logic, a torch is already lit, resting in a sconce near the room's single door.
Map:{table]|A_|B_|C_
1|||
2||T|
3|||
4|||[/table]

There is a door at C-4, south side.

DM notes:Sheet. (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=169834)

Bandededed
2010-01-01, 06:38 PM
Woo! Sorry I missed this; apparently I skipped a couple posts when about 7 popped up over night.

Okay, let's go with...

Talm shakes himself off, and puts a reassuring hand on Frost. "It's okay, buddy. This kind of stuff happens to us all the time, though, yeah?"

He sets down his pack and takes twenty to search the area and the door. [27 total]

Tanaric
2010-01-01, 06:40 PM
Everything looks completely normal.

Bandededed
2010-01-01, 07:15 PM
Talm blinks. Completely normal, eh? This is a most suspicious place where I have arrived.

He hefts his pack, readies his sling with a bullet, and carefully pushes the door open.

Readied action to attack any living creature beyond the door.

Bandededed
2010-01-01, 07:16 PM
Oh,

Att: [roll0]
dam: [roll1]

If it matters.

Tanaric
2010-01-01, 07:19 PM
Opening the door reveals a hallway running to the east and south. To the south, it runs for thirty feet before teeing to the east and west. After twenty feet, it splits east.

To the east, it runs beyond the range of your darkvision. After ten feet, it splits north and south. After thirty feet, there is a door on the north side of the hall. After sixty feet, it splits north and south.

Bandededed
2010-01-01, 07:45 PM
Huh, a bunch of T's, he thinks. He stows his sling and pulls out his guisarme. He begins to travel, but a whine from Frost makes him hesitate. He pulls out a sunrod and lights it, then hangs it from his pack.

He then travels east, checking for traps as he goes [27], until he reaches the door. He spares a glance both north and south as he passes the junction. He also guides Frost over any tripwires that may occur.

When he reaches the door, he checks it for traps [27].

If untrapped, he opens the door cautiously.

Tanaric
2010-01-01, 08:08 PM
At the splits, you see that the hall continues north for twenty feet before turning east, and south for twenty feet before turning west. Fifteen feet to the south, there is a door on the east face of the hall.

Ten feet east of the split, you find a concealed pit trap.

Bandededed
2010-01-01, 08:42 PM
Not wanting to bother jumping if he didn't have to, Talm turns back, heading south at the splits, checking for traps all the while.

When he makes the door, he checks it for traps [27] and then opens it.

Tanaric
2010-01-01, 08:42 PM
You find a concealed pit trap five feet south of the split.

Bandededed
2010-01-01, 08:51 PM
"Seriously?" Talm mutters darkly.

Sighing, he uses his ten-foot poll to check that the ground on the other side of the pit is solid. If it is, he checks down the north section to ensure he has twenty-feet to get his run-up for the jump.

He ties a rope to Frost so he can get out if he falls.

If everything looks kosher, he takes ten on a running leap over the pit [12], and Frost follows him [18].

Tanaric
2010-01-01, 08:53 PM
Everything checks out. You land on the other side safely.

Bandededed
2010-01-01, 09:21 PM
"Friggin pits. Well, at least they aren't trip wires,"

He shakes his head, checks the ground in front of him, and moves on southward towards the door. He checks the door, then cautiously opens it if it is untrapped.

Frost keeps at his heels.

Tanaric
2010-01-01, 09:36 PM
Opening the door reveals the following room:

{table]|A_|B_|C_|D_|E_
1|||||
2|||||
3|||||
4||||B|H[/table]

There is a door at A-2, which you are just outside of, another at E-4, south side and another at E-3. There is a human standing behind a beast with patchy dark fur that covers its unhealthy shrunken black skin in some places. Open sores dot its hide and a feral, catlike head glances with it's blank eyes at the wall in front of it.

Roll initiative.

[roll0]

Bandededed
2010-01-01, 09:43 PM
"****-!" is all Talm has time to get out.

[roll0] - using my daily precognitive edge.

Awesome six! :smallsigh:

Tanaric
2010-01-01, 09:45 PM
The man gestures for you to leave, and places a restraining hand on the beast's neck as it bares its fangs at you.

Your turn.

Bandededed
2010-01-01, 10:12 PM
Talm takes half a second to study the human - trying to determine if he is in possession of any high-quality items or expensive goods.

Regardless, he steps back and closes the door.

After all, there are two other ways into that particular chamber, aren't there?

This is my current map; I want to make sure I've got the hallways right so far. Do you mind checking?
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c86/tyrolin/Map-1.jpg

He wants to go back to the original southbound hallway and take that east, then, if he can. He will check for traps the whole way, of course. [27]

Tanaric
2010-01-01, 10:19 PM
Five feet south of the split to the east, you find a magical trap of some sort on the floor in front of you.

Bandededed
2010-01-03, 08:07 PM
Talm sighs, whips out his tools, and takes his sweet time disabling the device. [27]

"If I can see it I can unmake it," he singsongs in a rather bad, high pitched voice.

Tanaric
2010-01-03, 08:10 PM
You can't take 20 on disable device, since it has a chance of failure. See Take 20 rules in the SRD.

I should have mentioned that the trap seems to have a blind spot on the square you found it on. It seems incapable of targeting anything standing there.

Bandededed
2010-01-04, 12:21 AM
Right right, geez. Sometimes I feel so dumb :smallredface:

I'll back around the corner with Frost and poke it with my stick (ten foot pole). If my map is anywhere near correct it should work out alright.

Tanaric
2010-01-04, 12:38 AM
...kay.

An orb of acid forms in midair at the spot where you detected the trap. It shoots toward you.

[roll0] ranged touch, for [roll1] acid damage. You have cover from this attack.

Bandededed
2010-01-05, 12:24 AM
"Wohoo! Love the adrenalin baby!" Talm shouts, conveniently ignoring the fact that he'd pulled probably one of the most foolish stunts he had since entering the dungeon.

"What? It worked, didn't it?" he thought. His subconscious simply sighed in aggravation.

Meanwhile, Talm check to make sure the trap was still sprung, and, if it is, moved across with Frost, hoping to get around the next corner before it rearmed, assuming it could.

He still kept his eyes out for traps [27]. Damn things

Tanaric
2010-01-05, 08:16 PM
Twenty-five feet beyond the acid trap, you find a pit trap. Thirty feet further east, there is a door on the north side of the hall.

Bandededed
2010-01-05, 09:09 PM
Once again, Talm poked the ground on the other side of the pit to make sure it's solid, and takes another jump with Frost [12, 18]. He heads on the way towards the door, keeping his eyes out for traps [27].

Tanaric
2010-01-05, 09:27 PM
Fifteen feet beyond the pit, you find another magical trap identical to the first you found.

Bandededed
2010-01-06, 01:03 PM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c86/tyrolin/Newmap.jpg

I'm fairly sure that you lost me somewhere :smallredface:. This is the map I currently have, and my character would be aware of the placement of things (he even has a pen and paper to write it out with).

My current list of events is:
Ran into pit trap at H5, returned to hallway in F
Ran into pit trap at F6, checked down north hallway (found nothing) jumped pit
Opened door and found a man and beast duo. Let me leave. Valuables ???
Returned to hallway in D, planned to go east in the hallway in 11.

And then things start getting weird. From your description, I took the first acid trap to be in square D10. Unless my map is horridly wrong, both that square and D6 fit the bill for "five feet south of the east split"

Things were alright, but your next description was "25 feet beyond the acid trap, you find a pit trap" Now, if the acid trap was in D10, the hallway doesn't run another 25 feet. If it is in D6, 25 feet is at d11, which would make it difficult to get by (or impossible, due to walls).

So I'm basically lost. If you'd tell me where I went wrong, that would be greatly appreciated.

Tanaric
2010-01-06, 02:38 PM
Things went wrong when I failed reading comprehension. :smallredface:

I... accidentally took you on a completely different path. My mistake.

As of post 17, this is what actually happened:

At the T, you see that the hall runs to the west for ten feet before turning south, or to the east for forty feet before turning north. After thirty-five feet there is a door on the north side of the hall. There is a large bullseye painted on the floor directly outside the door.

Bandededed
2010-01-07, 11:40 AM
Oh, that's no problem. I've done similar things before!

In hallway 11, Talm heads east towards the bullseye, keeping an eye out for traps along the way, and stops just before he would step on it. He looks around carefully, trying to figure out what would happen if he stepped on it.

[27] search, [26] spot.

Tanaric
2010-01-08, 05:16 PM
As far as you can tell, the only danger is that you might get some paint on your boots.

Bandededed
2010-01-09, 12:53 AM
"I still don't like it," Talm mutters. He engages in a brief mental debate about the dangers of talking to oneself, he comes out victorious when he argues that he is simply pointing things out to Frost.

He misses the irony completely.

Regardless, he decided to stand far away and poke the bullseye with Stick, his trusty 10 foot pole.

He is entirely too prepared to flee screaming like a girl if a large boulder falls and rolls after him. (it's in all the travelling shows these days...)

Tanaric
2010-01-09, 07:17 PM
An enormous boulder falls and starts chasing you.

...no wait. A rain of gold coins falls from the ceiling.

Nothing happens.

Bandededed
2010-01-09, 10:25 PM
Damn, option two sounds so nice :smallbiggrin:

Ah well.

Talm, excited by the prospect of jumping that weird dude from earlier and taking his stuff, confidently walks onto the bullseye. There, he searches the door for traps - being quite about it [27 search] [16 move silently?]. He does not, in any way, touch the handle of the door.

He then ties a rope about the handle - being very careful not to turn it. The knot faces the east. He walks back west for about fifteen feet, and pulls on the rope, turning the handle and (hopefully) opening the door.

Of course, if the door is trapped, then the point is moot.

Tanaric
2010-01-09, 10:30 PM
I might have failed to mention it previously, but all doors are sliding metal sheets. No handles to tie anything to.

Bandededed
2010-01-11, 01:47 AM
Wonderful. Hrm...

Talm nods judiciously as he makes up his mind. "I've decided, Frost, that we shall simply have to march onwards and hope there aren't any pianos around here,"

Frost merely looks at him and whines.

Talm moves past the bullseye, looking to go around the corner, keeping his eyes out for new traps and such [27]

Tanaric
2010-01-12, 12:52 PM
No pianos. :smallsmile:

Around the corner, the hall continues north for twenty feet before turning east. After ten feet, there's a door on the west side of the hall.

Bandededed
2010-01-14, 04:57 PM
Talm moves the ten feet to the door, checking for traps on the way, and searches the door for traps.

His eyes burn slightly, but that's what happens when you spend your entire day staring at the floor and walls looking for tiny things.

Tanaric
2010-01-14, 07:24 PM
Nothing out of the ordinary that your burning eyes can detect.

Bandededed
2010-01-16, 12:19 PM
Smiling, Talm casts Force Screen on himself, and takes a deep breath.

He let's Frost come up in front of him, slams the door open and orders Frost to attack.

Talm
{table]Hp | AC/T/FF | PP
10/10| 18/11/16 | 5/6[/table]

Frost
{table]Hp | AC/T/FF
13/13 |19/12/17[/table]

Initiative (if rerolling): [roll0]

If it comes to Frost's attack this round
Attack: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]
Free Trip(if attack hits): [roll3]

Tanaric
2010-01-18, 10:07 PM
Initiative: [roll0]

Edit: And which target is he attacking?

Bandededed
2010-01-18, 10:09 PM
Talm can't see in the door, so the dog would attack whichever is closest, I think.

He kinda stepped back so Frost could get through.

Tanaric
2010-01-18, 10:12 PM
That's the man then, so...

Dex check: [roll0]

Tanaric
2010-01-18, 10:15 PM
Concentration: [roll0] DC 16.

Open if success:Make a will save for your wolf.

Bandededed
2010-01-19, 09:01 PM
that looks like a save to me :smallsigh:

[roll0]

DAMN YOU PROBABILITY!

Tanaric
2010-01-19, 09:04 PM
Your wolf is out of commission for a while.

Your turn.

[roll0] [roll1]

Bandededed
2010-01-19, 09:10 PM
Talm
{table]Hp | AC/T/FF | PP | Insp
10/10| 18/11/16 | 5/6 | 2/2[/table]

Frost [out of commission :smallfrown:]
{table]Hp | AC/T/FF
13/13 |19/12/17[/table]

Talm will round the corner and check into the room. He'll cast psionic grease on any standing enemy, but he'll try to catch both in range if he can.

Tanaric
2010-01-20, 01:50 PM
{table]|A_|B_|C_|D_|E_
1|||||
2|||||
3|||||F
4|||||H[/table]

F is Frost. H is the human. The beast from earlier is nowhere to be found.

Where do you want to target that Grease?

Edit: And where do you want to end your movement?

Bandededed
2010-01-20, 03:22 PM
I'll end in E2. Is the human standing or prone?

Either way, I'll cast the spell so it hits D4 and E4, and the 5x10 section of the wall south of those squares, if possible. Nothing in the grease description disallows that, I think.

If I'm wrong, I think I'll drop it on D3&4 and E3&4.

Tanaric
2010-01-20, 03:25 PM
He's standing.

Reflex: [roll0]

What's the save DC on your Psi-Grease?

Bandededed
2010-01-20, 09:38 PM
14 :smallyuk:

Tanaric
2010-01-22, 01:32 PM
Well then.

Have a Color Spray. :smallbiggrin:

Bandededed
2010-01-22, 01:47 PM
I have a will! Will save: [roll0]

And now I realize that I haven't drawn my weapon yet. :smallfurious:
Blah, I feel like an idiot.

Assuming I don't raped get coup de grace'd, I'll draw my guisarme and attack.
att: [roll1] dam: [roll2]

On my turn he'll need another DC: 14 reflex to stay standing and he's flatfooted without the requisite 5 balance ranks.

Edit: Oh g'dammit.

Tanaric
2010-01-22, 01:50 PM
Unconscious [roll0]
Blind/stunned: [roll1]

On the plus side, with the grease, it's possible he won't reach you in time to kill you.

Tanaric
2010-01-22, 01:56 PM
Hm, nope. Even assuming he fails the first time, you'll get four CDGs.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

If you survive all of those, make some fort saves vs Death.

Bandededed
2010-01-22, 01:57 PM
Well, we can all hope, eh :smallbiggrin:?

Just in case he can't, I'll keep the same actions in the ranks. I guess it is somewhat fortuitous I didn't draw my weapon, as I can't drop it.

Am I prone now? I would assume so, but it doesn't really say.

Edit: bah. I have 10 hp. I'm dead as a door-nail.