PDA

View Full Version : Factotum's Spellbook?

Talbot
2009-12-30, 11:02 PM
I was trying to decide which spells would most benefit a Factotum, remembering that he has very few per day and can only use each one once. That being the case, I was looking for spells that were/are effective in a wide variety of situations, and/or influence the battle for many rounds... here's what I've got so far (help wanted):

Tenser's Transformation- Lets you melee
Enervation/Touch of Idiocy/etc.- The usual. Ability reduction is good.
Grease- As usual.
Alter Self- Tenser's before you have Tenser's
Spell Theft- really ruin an opposing wizard's day
Orbs- For damage. Nice because you can switch the type based on what sort of enemies you're fighting
Freezing Fog (I think that's what it's called, anyways)- Great battlefield control

I'm sure there are dozens I'm missing. Contributions?

Signmaker
2009-12-30, 11:05 PM
Nightstalker's Transformation, if you're feeling like a skillymonkey? Heroics, if you're feeling like a fighter?

Foryn Gilnith
2009-12-30, 11:07 PM
Mental Pinnacle, since we mentioned all the other transformations?

mabriss lethe
2009-12-30, 11:19 PM
Once you get high enough level, here's the mix I use.

1. Battlefield control spell: put your solid fogs and black tentacles here
2. Blaster spell: Lesser orbs/magic missiles/fiery rays in the beginning, scaling up through fireballs and lightning bolts and then onto big nasties.
3. Combat Buff: Bulls strength/ transformations/ my favorite: Steeldance.
4. Utility spell:/misc. Shadow conjuration is a good one, as is a major image.

Once you have more than four spells...fill in as you like.

With this combination, you always have *something* you can do in a fight/to prevent a fight.

Yuki Akuma
2009-12-30, 11:20 PM
I second Mental Pinnacle.

Once per day, you become a Psion. With hardly any powers, granted, but still, free powers and power points.

It's as if a spell gave you more spell slots.

SethFahad
2009-12-31, 12:36 AM

Where can I find Mental Pinnacle???

Draz74
2009-12-31, 12:38 AM
Where is Mental Pinnacle from?

Nightstalker's Transformation, if you're feeling like a skillymonkey? Heroics, if you're feeling like a fighter?

My two favorites. Heroics is available as early as Level 5, and at high levels it has a pretty robust duration. If you're willing to use another two precious spell slots on it, you can even bypass the expensive material component by using the spells Cat's Grace and Quick Potion. (Probably only worth it if you know you'll want the spell a day ahead of time, and waste two spell slots on a non-adventuring day on the potion prep.)

raitalin
2009-12-31, 12:45 AM
I'm a big fan of Elemental Body: gives you elemental immunities (sleep, paralysis, stunning, sleep, crits), darkvision 60 and either fly and air mastery; +3 NA, Earth Mastery and Push; burn and fire immunity or a swim speed, water mastery and drench. Useful in a variety of situations

Also Ruby Ray of Reversal: Undoes all sorts of inconvenient situations that there's little way to get rid of otherwise: Forcecage, entanglement, grease, undoes any bond, spring any trap, undoes polymorph and petrification, and dispells magic jar. About the only thing it doesn't do is slice and dice.

The other Transformations are good, but don't forget you can't use wands after casting Tenser's. Use it with your last IP of the combat.

root9125
2009-12-31, 12:59 AM

Once per day, you become a Psion. With hardly any powers, granted, but still, free powers and power points.

It's as if a spell gave you more spell slots.

There is a spell for that. It has mnemonic in the name, but I forget it.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-12-31, 01:01 AM
There is a spell for that. It has mnemonic in the name, but I forget it.

If only there were some sort of device to enhance your memory of it.

Lycanthromancer
2009-12-31, 01:11 AM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/spells/mentalPinnacle.htm

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/mnemonicEnhancer.htm

josh13905
2009-12-31, 01:24 PM
A tad off topic, but does it say somewhere a factotum can only have one spell of each level or just one of the highest level?

So to clarify when I get 8 spells, and max level of seven, can I have 1 seventh level, and 7 sixth level spells? Or only one of each level?

Draz74
2009-12-31, 01:45 PM
A tad off topic, but does it say somewhere a factotum can only have one spell of each level or just one of the highest level?

So to clarify when I get 8 spells, and max level of seven, can I have 1 seventh level, and 7 sixth level spells? Or only one of each level?

1 seventh level, and 7 sixth levels. Nowhere does it say only one per level.