PDA

View Full Version : (Ex) Extraordinary Ability

DareTheRogue
2009-12-31, 12:21 AM
How would you give a bonus to a d20 roll for a class ability denoted as (Ex)?

Saintjebus
2009-12-31, 12:24 AM
What do you mean? What is the Ex ability in question?

Grumman
2009-12-31, 12:25 AM
Is it based on a stat?

Temotei
2009-12-31, 12:28 AM
Ability Focus (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsterFeats.htm#abilityFocus)?

DareTheRogue
2009-12-31, 12:30 AM
It grouping of homebrew classes being used in a 3.5 game with all the source books... It isn't working for most of us.

I am playing a character, and to not go into much detail, who has an Extraordinary ability. To use this ability a d20 roll must be made. Added to said d20 roll is the Character's Class Level and Wisdom Modifier.

I have found no way to increase the Class level without leveling of course. But increasing the Wisdom Modifier is not out of the question or something that would give a bonus to an Extraordinary Ability.

Now that I probably have explained a bit better...

DareTheRogue
2009-12-31, 12:31 AM
Ability Focus was almost my solution, then I realized this has nothing to do with a DC...

TheLogman
2009-12-31, 12:31 AM
What, what does the d20 roll accomplish then? Are we talking like you have to roll in order to confirm that you can even use it? Because without further information, I don't know of any feats you could take to confirm your ability, or anything other than boosting WIS.

I guess a direct answer is there is no feat that I know of that makes it more likely that your extraordinary abilities work properly more often.

DareTheRogue
2009-12-31, 12:33 AM
Darn... I guess Wisdom boosting items then...

The d20 roll measures the success as though it were a skill check, though it is not a skill.

RandomLunatic
2009-12-31, 12:34 AM
No, I think you have pretty much pegged it. Either level up or increase your WIS score.

Or, since it is homebrew class anyway, maybe you can hombrew a feat and run it by your DM.

Temotei
2009-12-31, 12:36 AM
Just wondering...what classes are you all playing? I'm curious. :smallsmile:

DareTheRogue
2009-12-31, 12:41 AM
I am playing a Thematist....

It is an extremely confusing spellcaster that must make Wisdom checks to create any type of spell effect. Thus the Wisdom based ability that I am attempting to boost to create a more favorable outcome for casting.

I unfortunately did not realize when we began that I must have a decent Wisdom for that ability, a decent Charisma for any divine spells I pick up and a decent Intelligence for any arcane. I am really not to happy about the class, but we have use combat so little that it has not mattered. It has been heavy roleplay and I am just looking for a way to smooth through spellcasting now so that I can just get on with the rest of the game.

Temotei
2009-12-31, 12:47 AM
I am playing a Thematist....

It is an extremely confusing spellcaster that must make Wisdom checks to create any type of spell effect. Thus the Wisdom based ability that I am attempting to boost to create a more favorable outcome for casting.

I unfortunately did not realize when we began that I must have a decent Wisdom for that ability, a decent Charisma for any divine spells I pick up and a decent Intelligence for any arcane. I am really not to happy about the class, but we have use combat so little that it has not mattered. It has been heavy roleplay and I am just looking for a way to smooth through spellcasting now so that I can just get on with the rest of the game.

How about playing a different class? Rolling to use your class features is bad design, in my opinion. That's like...truenamer. :smallyuk:

Draz74
2009-12-31, 12:49 AM
If the check is technically a "Wisdom check," then there are a number of good buffs that affect all "ability checks" that you could use. Such as the Heroism spell (Level 2). Or the Stone of Good Luck.

Optimystik
2009-12-31, 12:56 AM
Rather than making the check off an ability score (those are much harder to raise) there should instead be a special "casting skill" based on Wisdom that you can use - perhaps "Thematurgy." You then have the benefit of being able to benefit from all kinds of buffs, like bardsong; you'll still benefit from buffs to your Wisdom stat, and best of all you can gain an edge due to having ranks in Thematurgy = your level + 3 + WIS modifier, instead of relying solely on your WIS modifier.

How about playing a different class? Rolling to use your class features is bad design, in my opinion. That's like...truenamer. :smallyuk:

Truenamer's problem isn't skill-based casting; rather, it's the unholy DC scaling mechanic they used for the TN's targets, coupled with the asinine Law of Resistance that penalizes you for using your own abilities. If his Thematist has none of those issues, then it will work out significantly better than a Truenamer.

No other class in ToM or outside it, not even the Warlock or DFA, had to deal with their abilities getting harder to use the more they used them, and harder to use as they gained levels. That's the Truenamer's real problem, not the fact that it casts with a skill check.

Temotei
2009-12-31, 01:03 AM
Rather than making the check off an ability score (those are much harder to raise) there should instead be a special "casting skill" based on Wisdom that you can use - perhaps "Thematurgy." You then have the benefit of being able to benefit from all kinds of buffs, like bardsong; you'll still benefit from buffs to your Wisdom stat, and best of all you can gain an edge due to having ranks in Thematurgy = your level + 3 + WIS modifier, instead of relying solely on your WIS modifier.

Truenamer's problem isn't skill-based casting; rather, it's the unholy DC scaling mechanic they used for the TN's targets, coupled with the asinine Law of Resistance that penalizes you for using your own abilities. If his Thematist has none of those issues, then it will work out significantly better than a Truenamer.

No other class in ToM or outside it, not even the Warlock or DFA, had to deal with their abilities getting harder to use the more they used them, and harder to use as they gained levels. That's the Truenamer's real problem, not the fact that it casts with a skill check.

In retrospect, my post was awful in conveying my meaning. You have to roll to get past spell resistance after all, which many creatures have.

I meant this, basically. It sounds like it's difficult to use the class features, based on what the OP is saying. Maybe he/she's using hyperbole though. :smallamused: