PDA

View Full Version : The Winged Master of Flight!

Narazil
2009-12-31, 05:19 AM
In my crushing boredom of pre-New Year's Eve, I was looking through my books. Reading through Complete Arcane got me thinking:How many pairs of wings can a character have?
The next obvious step would of course to attempt to build such a character, in the spirit of thought experiments!

So - who wants to see how many wings a single humanoid character can have?

Restrictions:
No permanent magic, no polymorph, no loops, no stacking poorly worded buffs or the like.

No stacking templates, keep it reasonable. 0-4 is fine.

Assume the target is Humanoid.

ECL 20, LA is obviously fine.

No relying on other casters or cohorts. Our winged Humanoid is proud and despises others, being the abomination he is.

Glimbur
2009-12-31, 12:49 PM
Raptoran gets you a set. Dragonborn of Bahamut: Wings gets you another if you get reborn when you have enough hit dice to have a fly speed from Raptoran. There is a wing graft in Fiend Folio that lets you fly... and will also drive you insane due to alignment conflicts but whatever.

This doesn't cover any class levels, so go Favored Soul to get a fourth set.

Olo Demonsbane
2009-12-31, 02:21 PM
Plus the winged template from savage species, and Wings of Flying.

Alleine
2009-12-31, 03:00 PM
There are actually two wing grafts in Fiend Folio, both of which will slowly turn you evil, but who cares? You'll have the magnificence of more wings than should be healthy.

If you're a changeling or other kind of shapeshifter due to class levels, Warshaper might be able to grow you wings. They'd be useful only for smacking people around though.

taltamir
2009-12-31, 03:13 PM
Dragon Discple (level 9) gives you wings
robe of wings aren't your own wings or permant, but they look and work like a set of wings.

So let me do a summary.

1. raptoran
2. Dragonborn of Bahamut: Wings
3. winged template from savage species
4. wings of flying
5. A graft in fiend folio
6. A second graft in fiend folio
7. Dragon Discple (level 9) gives you wings
8. maybe a set from warshaper. although non funcational
9. robe of wings aren't your own wings or permant, but they look and work like a set of wings.

Flickerdart
2009-12-31, 04:09 PM
Half-Fey (Fiend Folio) and Half-Dragon (SRD, but only if you're large) give you some more wings, but I don't think you can apply both to one creature.

bloodhawk
2009-12-31, 09:11 PM
Winged (1 set) Dragonborn (1 set) Raptoran (1 set) Sorcerer 6/Rainbow Servant 4 (1 set)/Dragon Disciple 9 (1 set)
Feats: 1 - Dragon Wings (1 set), 3 - Vestigal Wings (1 set), 6,9 - any 2 aberrant blood feats, 12 - Starspawn (1 set), 15 - arcane disciple (demonic) (1 set from 3rd level spell), 18 - free
Flight of the dragon is a 5th level sorcerer spell, which you can cast if you go by the rainbow servant +1 CL/level text (1 set)

Add in the two grafts from the fiend folio and that's 12 sets (at least until you go crazy and lose rainbow servant class features). Some of them don't grant fly speeds though, and 3 of them are magical or supernatural.

I have no idea why I spent so much time on this.

Swordgleam
2009-12-31, 11:22 PM

If you're asking that question, you're doing it RIGHT! :smallbiggrin:

BobVosh
2009-12-31, 11:27 PM
Winged (1 set) Dragonborn (1 set) Raptoran (1 set) Sorcerer 6/Rainbow Servant 4 (1 set)/Dragon Disciple 9 (1 set)
Feats: 1 - Dragon Wings (1 set), 3 - Vestigal Wings (1 set), 6,9 - any 2 aberrant blood feats, 12 - Starspawn (1 set), 15 - arcane disciple (demonic) (1 set from 3rd level spell), 18 - free
Flight of the dragon is a 5th level sorcerer spell, which you can cast if you go by the rainbow servant +1 CL/level text (1 set)

Add in the two grafts from the fiend folio and that's 12 sets (at least until you go crazy and lose rainbow servant class features). Some of them don't grant fly speeds though, and 3 of them are magical or supernatural.

We all have to leave our mark in the world. Out of idle curiosity, how many of those wings are feather and how many are...leather? Meh bat wings.

deuxhero
2009-12-31, 11:28 PM
True Mind Switch Cheese with Metatron look alike? That is 18 pairs right there if you can find the right outsider.

taltamir
2010-01-01, 12:44 AM
True Mind Switch Cheese with Metatron look alike? That is 18 pairs right there if you can find the right outsider.

how many of those grafts / class levels would he qualify for?

mabriss lethe
2010-01-01, 01:46 AM
No one has mentioned animal devotion.

-you could also add another pair with a level one psion (shaper) and the skin of the construct feat.

Mahtobedis
2010-01-01, 02:08 AM
I believe there is also a dragon wings graft in RotD

Mushroom Ninja
2010-01-01, 02:14 AM
I'm pretty sure once you get all those wings, you end up looking something like this:
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/EPIC_Gallery/Gallery5a/44173_C5_Chichimec.jpg

PhoenixRivers
2010-01-01, 02:30 AM
Let's not forget that Warlocks have an invocation for wings. At fairly low level, too.

taltamir
2010-01-01, 07:58 AM
I'm pretty sure once you get all those wings, you end up looking something like this:
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/EPIC_Gallery/Gallery5a/44173_C5_Chichimec.jpg

op... this looks like it could be your new avatar.

AmberVael
2010-01-01, 11:21 AM
I don't think this is everything, but here is a good start on a list (along with abbreviated requirements).

Incidentally, bloodhawk, I note that your method is invalid. Not only are you at ECL 21 (assuming no LA buy off), but if you use Dragonborn at level 1, then you do not gain wings from Raptoran. But if you become Dragonborn at level 5 or 10, you cannot gain the feat Dragon Wings (since you're not a dragonblooded at level 1).

Races and Templates:
Raptoran (level 5, 10)
Dragonborn (can be stacked with Raptoran at level 10 or 5)
Winged Template (+2 la, cannot already have a fly speed)
Half-Fiend (+4 la)
Half-Celestial (+4 la)
Half-Dragon (+3 la, must be large size)
Half-Fey (+2 la, cannot already have wings)

Classes:
Dragon Disciple (lvl 9, know arcana 8, spontaneous arcane casting)
Rainbow Servant (lvl 4, know arcana 4, non-evil or chaotic, 3rd arcane spells)
Enlightened Spirit (lvl 3, 3d6 eldritch blast, 8 know planes, good)**
Favored Soul (lvl 17)
Dragon Shaman (lvl 19)

Feats:
Dragon Wings (dragonblood subtype, 1st level only)
Starspawn (two other abberant feats)
Vestigial Wings
Skin of the Construct (astral construct power)*
Animal Devotion*

Soulmelds:
Pegasus Cloak (bound to shoulders)**
Incarnate Avatar (bound to soul, evil or good)**
Manticore Belt (bound to waist)**

Spells:
Flight of the Dragon (level 5, sorcerer)*
Demon Wings (level 3, Blackguard/Demonic Domain)*

Invocations:
Fell Flight (lesser, warlock)**
Draconic Flight (lesser, dragonfire adept)**

Grafts:
Feathered Wings (10,000 gp, slowly turns user evil)
Membranous Wings (50,000 gp, slowly turns user evil)
Buffeting Wings (100,000)

Magic Items:
Wings of Flying (54,000 gp)**

Notes:
* Denotes a method that has a duration below 24 hours.
** Denotes a method that has a duration of 24 hours or over.

deuxhero
2010-01-01, 11:27 AM
[snip]
Not quite Metatron, but can you true mind swap it?