PDA

View Full Version : The Apostle of Peace

Paganboy28
2009-12-31, 07:45 AM
Is this character class broken to the point of being really unsuitable for gaming?

Firstly, you have to give up all wealth and worldly goods. This means no magic items which in DnD is pretty much suicide for any mid to high end character.

Secondly, the party gets a negative effect for any actions they take that are violent near you. How do you explain that to the party when they are beset with beholders, mindflayers and worse? "Sorry chaps, we need to sit down over a nice cold beer and work this out peacefully".... don't see the illithids going for that.

Thirdly, spell casting. Having given up all those bonuses and niceities, one might think there would be a bonus on the holy spell casting. But not really. Or at least people I have spoken to think that the spell casting of the AoP is sub par and really not compensating for all the downsides.

So what are the pluses of being as devoted as an AoP and should the class be re-written to compensate for the huge losses endured by being so devoted to the cause of peace?

Way I see it, the AoP should be an uber healer, have an uber Sanctuary effect to compensate for lack of armour, be able to cast things like Hold spells, Calm, and anything else that gets round combat without actual conflict, with serious bonuses to compensate for magic items.

Otherwise I can see Apostles of Anti-Peace laughing and just getting their club and smacking the unarmoured, unarmed, AoP on the head and collecting another trophy. Not much incentive to become an AoP.

EDIT: It's a shame because I like the concept of the character and it makes a change from the stereotypical "oo there's a monster lets kill it" scenarios which are the mainstay.

It jsut doesn't feel or play like its something that a player would want to really choose.