PDA

View Full Version : Is there a spell to blow up doors? [3.x]

Eldan
2009-12-31, 10:42 AM
I finally started reading the Dresden Files after I got them for christmas. There's a scene where Harry Dresden blows a door to small splinters for a dramatic entrance. It made me think of all the many times I've seen that in fiction: someone destroys a door to look cool.
So, I was thinking: is there a spell which does that in DnD? Many spells could be used for that, maybe the correct Bigby Hand, force spells, even targeted damage spells, if they did enough damage. But is there a spell specifically designed for that? It would be easy to design if not: evocation, low level, make a strength check against some kind of locked portal. Probably the counterspell to hold portal. But if it's already there, well, then we don't need a duplicate. I don't have my spell compendium with me, so I can't check if it already exists.

Kobold-Bard
2009-12-31, 10:44 AM
Not specifically for it, but would Telekinesis (Bull Rush option) work?

Eldan
2009-12-31, 10:48 AM
Hmm. It probably would. Or at least I'd allow it as a DM.

Grumman
2009-12-31, 10:49 AM
Bigby's Forceful Hand? Disintegrate? Fabricate?

RagnaroksChosen
2009-12-31, 10:50 AM
Shatter? That spell would do it?

Foryn Gilnith
2009-12-31, 10:50 AM
Check the Spell Compendium for Battering Ram. It even has a cool illustration in the wizard spell listing. Only has a +10 to break doors or bull rush, though.

Kobold-Bard
2009-12-31, 10:51 AM
Check the Spell Compendium for Battering Ram. It even has a cool illustration in the wizard spell listing. Only has a +10 to break doors or bull rush, though.

On a related note: Ring of the Ram from the SRD? The Elf Wizard in the second D&D movie uses one, and it looked awesome.

Eldan
2009-12-31, 10:51 AM
Ah, thanks. That should do it. Shatter is also a good one.

As for Disintegrate and Bigby: as I said in the first post: there are many spells which can destroy a door. You could just cast a powerful fire spell at one and burn through it. I was looking for something slightly more specific.

ericgrau
2009-12-31, 10:57 AM
This will be helpful:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/dungeons.htm#doors

With telekinesis you'd just replace strength with int when making your strength check to bust the door. DC 13-23 for wood, 28 for iron.

Ring of the ram has an effective strength of 25-29 specifically for the purpose of busting doors. It depends how many charges you blow.

Metamagic fireball it and try to get 30-50 damage in one blow. Iron or stone doors would require a lot more though. With energy damage you get full damage for acid or sonic, half for fire or electricity and 1/4 for cold. Then in all 5 cases you subtract hardness from the adjusted damage.

Powerfamiliar
2009-12-31, 11:00 AM
I have to agree with Shatter on this one.

ericgrau
2009-12-31, 11:02 AM
Shatter is doable but it has a weight limit of 10 lbs. per caster level. Wood doors weigh 70-140 lbs. (simple-good) and stone or iron are way over the limit. EDIT: 7'x3' door assumed. A WotC page assumes 8'x5' which would weigh over twice as much.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-12-31, 11:03 AM
Do you know what happens to a door that's hit with a Lightening Bolt?

The same thing that happens to everything else!

Kobold-Bard
2009-12-31, 11:06 AM

Personally that would be my choice too. Use Chain Lightning and you can open the windows for your team-mates as well.

hamishspence
2009-12-31, 11:09 AM
And if the spell destroys more than just the door, you get to say

"You were only supposed to blow the blo*dy doors off!" :smallamused:

Telonius
2009-12-31, 11:11 AM
Get a full Necklace of Fireballs, stand back, and cast Scorching Ray.

Studoku
2009-12-31, 11:25 AM
1. Cast lots of explosive runes on the door.
2. Stand 15 feet away
3. Ask a party member if they can decipher the riddle written on the door to open it

Not particularly efficient since you have to use up multiple third level spells and a party member, but it's funny.

Kobold-Bard
2009-12-31, 11:30 AM
2. Stand 15 feet away
3. Ask a party member if they can decipher the riddle written on the door to open it

Not particularly efficient since you have to use up multiple third level spells and a party member, but it's funny.

I love the way you see the world :smalltongue:

Also remember. When you break down the door you need a Light spell behind you, a Gust of Wind around you, and a spell that can mimic a choir. Combine with the shattering door and you have an instant Epic Holy Warrior entrance.

deuxhero
2009-12-31, 11:31 AM

It gets ignored by the creatures energy resistance?

Evard
2009-12-31, 11:34 AM
2. Stand 15 feet away

This reminds me of something i did with armor and an Orc ^ - ^ yay for beating sense motive checks

But yes anytime you want to blow something up explosive runes are the way to go. As long as you don't have a paladin around you could keep a goblin or something as your official reader for things like this ... of course there will be a vacancy afterward ^ ^

Schylerwalker
2009-12-31, 12:18 PM
In Hackmaster, there's a first level wizard spell called "Bash Door." :smallbiggrin:

All it does is knock down a single door. It cannot affect trapdoors in ceilings and floors, can't target cabinets, windows, or anything other than wooden doors. Metal, stone, and even glass doors are unaffected. However, wooden doors shatter inward as if giant's fist smashed them.

I tried to argue that I could smash a lich's phylactery with it, because it was the "door to his soul." The GM just looked at me.

Kobold-Bard
2009-12-31, 01:11 PM
In Hackmaster, there's a first level wizard spell called "Bash Door." :smallbiggrin:

All it does is knock down a single door. It cannot affect trapdoors in ceilings and floors, can't target cabinets, windows, or anything other than wooden doors. Metal, stone, and even glass doors are unaffected. However, wooden doors shatter inward as if giant's fist smashed them.

I tried to argue that I could smash a lich's phylactery with it, because it was the "door to his soul." The GM just looked at me.

Be grateful there isn't a DMG lodged in your skull :smallbiggrin:

Worira
2009-12-31, 01:31 PM
I'd allow Knock to do this.

Baron Malkar
2009-12-31, 02:09 PM
Same here.

*casts Knock*
*earth shattering explosion*
Wizard: "Doors open."

Eldan
2009-12-31, 02:36 PM
Hmm. I should develop a +0 metamagic feat called "Impressive spell". Everything cast with this gets loud sound effects, flashing lightning and generally has greatly exaggerated effects which do still the same by the rules.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-12-31, 02:42 PM
Hmm. I should develop a +0 metamagic feat called "Impressive spell". Everything cast with this gets loud sound effects, flashing lightning and generally has greatly exaggerated effects which do still the same by the rules.

Isn't that called "Refluffing"?

Oh wait, you wanted a feat. :smalltongue:

Seriously though, I'd say just ask your DM to let it be more impressive. Everyone wants to feel awesome, so I don't see why your DM wouldn't let you.

Eldan
2009-12-31, 02:44 PM
Right. I normally allow changes without rule effects anyway. Maybe add a deafening, blinding and/or dazzling effect. Makes a "knock" much funnier.

Hmm. If only I could apply "explosive spell" to non-area spells...

Jack_Simth
2009-12-31, 03:22 PM
Get a full Necklace of Fireballs, stand back, and cast Scorching Ray.
Technically doesn't work.

See, Scorching Ray doesn't permit a save, and in order for the Necklace of Fireballs to go kablooey, the wielder has to fail the save.

Now, if you Summon a Fire elemental, hand it the neclace of Fireballs, step back, and order the fire elemental to set off one of the beads at it's own feet, and fail all of it's saves vs. the Fire effects, you have a pretty spectacular result. But it's a little trickier.

Right. I normally allow changes without rule effects anyway. Maybe add a deafening, blinding and/or dazzling effect. Makes a "knock" much funnier.

Hmm. If only I could apply "explosive spell" to non-area spells...

You might want to look up a little feat called Spell Thematics (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Spell_Thematics,all)

OracleofWuffing
2009-12-31, 05:30 PM
Now, if you Summon a Fire elemental, hand it the neclace of Fireballs, step back, and order the fire elemental to set off one of the beads at it's own feet, and fail all of it's saves vs. the Fire effects, you have a pretty spectacular result. But it's a little trickier.
Ehhh... That's kinda iffy. The Fire Elemental has Immunity to Fire (and even if it can fail an auto-success save), so it's questionable whether or not it gets a save, and whether or not that Fire Immunity applies to its inventory.

Now, a Water Elemental, on the other hand, would certainly set off the Necklace of Fireballs.

erikun
2009-12-31, 05:33 PM
The Elf Wizard in the second D&D movie uses one, and it looked awesome.

Ahhhh! The bad movies! They're playing in my head!!!

noiadodh
2009-12-31, 05:40 PM
i heard the second movie actually is a good one..

Jack_Simth
2009-12-31, 05:41 PM
Ehhh... That's kinda iffy. The Fire Elemental has Immunity to Fire (and even if it can fail an auto-success save), so it's questionable whether or not it gets a save, and whether or not that Fire Immunity applies to its inventory.

Now, a Water Elemental, on the other hand, would certainly set off the Necklace of Fireballs.

Well, exactly as written out in the rules (such as they are...):
1) Just because you're immune to the results doesn't mean you auto-pass the save. It just means you're immune to the results.
2) You don't have to be damaged by the fire effect for the necklace to go off, just fail the saves involved.
3) You can voluntarily fail a save.

Basically, it's about as iffy as the Scorching Ray not working - both are strictly by the rules as listed.

gorfnab
2009-12-31, 05:46 PM
Shatter is doable but it has a weight limit of 10 lbs. per caster level. Wood doors weigh 70-140 lbs. (simple-good) and stone or iron are way over the limit. EDIT: 7'x3' door assumed. A WotC page assumes 8'x5' which would weigh over twice as much.

That's why you shatter the hinges of the door instead.

OracleofWuffing
2009-12-31, 05:57 PM
Basically, it's about as iffy as the Scorching Ray not working - both are strictly by the rules as listed.

I just like the image of a water elemental bursting into flames.

Jack_Simth
2009-12-31, 06:06 PM
That's why you shatter the hinges of the door instead.

There's two notable assumptions here:
1) Your DM will agree with you that the hinges qualify as objects separate from the door.
2) That you have line of effect to the hinges (you will only have line of effect to them if the door opens towards you - not if it opens away from you - and I've actually seen a few doors IRL where you wouldn't have Line of Effect to the hinges regardless of which side of the door you're on).

I just like the image of a water elemental bursting into flames.
Oh, then by all means, summon anything else you can communicate with instead.

But the fire elemental is likely to have the least hesitation on the order.

OracleofWuffing
2009-12-31, 06:16 PM
It's worth the wait. :smalltongue:

Flickerdart
2009-12-31, 06:18 PM
Vengeful Gaze of God (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/spells/vengefulGazeOfGod.htm) takes care of doors just fine.

Eldan
2009-12-31, 06:22 PM
I kinda doubt that Harry Dresden was casting that :smalltongue:

Zaydos
2009-12-31, 06:34 PM
Relics and Rituals (3rd party book by Sword and Sorcery) had a Greater Knock that specifically blew up doors.

As for the epic holy warrior entrance. Greater Luminous Armor and prestidigitation (have it moves your cloak about), and ghost sound. There done. Don't you love wizards, better at posing than a peacock.

Kobold-Bard
2010-01-01, 05:05 AM
i heard the second movie actually is a good one..

If you're talking about the D&D one; just because it was better, doesn't make it good :smalltongue:

Thespianus
2010-01-01, 06:44 AM

That's funny. Back in the day, I believe Lightning Bolts bounced off walls and stuff? It'd make Storm look even sillier.

"Stand Back! *bzzzt* Urgh... Reflex Save for half Urgh"

Triaxx
2010-01-01, 07:31 AM
So... Lightning Bolt is the Han Solo method of door opening?

Ask and ye shall recieve:

Gate Destroyer
Evocation
Level: Cleric/Druid/Sorceror/Wizard 3
Components: V, S, XP
Casting Time: 1 full action
Range: 10ft+5/per caster level Touch
Target: One Door/Gate
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No
Focus: A masterwork Adamantite Hammer.
Targeting a Gate for destruction is a difficult choice and the gate should be checked for traps, and spells before making the attempt. A backfire from a Gate Destroyer spell is not a pleasant experience. Raising an outstretched hand towards the offending door, the caster must intone the words and hold him or herself steady. A roll is then made, using casters applied stat to calculate Base Attack Bonus. Crit range is 1-2, 19-20.
There are several possible outcomes to targetting a door with Gate Destroyer, such as:
1:Gate shatters inwards showering anything within 15' with wood splinters doing 1d4 points of damage.
2:Gate is destroyed, and topples in causing a DC 10 reflex save or be knocked unconscious to any creature directly behind the door.
3:Gate is unaffected.
4:A Critical hit is rolled. Gate is obliterated, but backlash from the spell forces a DC 18 Reflex save or be knocked flat.
5:A Critical Miss is rolled, Gate remains standing, and backlash does 2d10 damage to caster, with DC 22 Reflex for half. Automatically knocked flat.
Gate Destroyer has no effect on animate objects, though may be used on constructs at GM's discretion.

Basically it's left up to the DM whether you succeed in breaking down the door and what happens to you when it does. Could be nothing, could be picking up bits of your wizard with tweezers.

JerichoPenumbra
2010-01-01, 08:20 PM
Would the Battering Ram spell in Spell Compendium be an adequate door opener here?

taltamir
2010-01-01, 08:27 PM

Also remember. When you break down the door you need a Light spell behind you, a Gust of Wind around you, and a spell that can mimic a choir. Combine with the shattering door and you have an instant Epic Holy Warrior entrance.

mmm... i'd say... take battering ram, bump it up 2 levels, and make it do everything you described above (the light effects, the wind, and the choir)

Xenogears
2010-01-01, 08:31 PM
Someone else thread reminded me of it but there was a spell in the Conan the Barbarian D20 system that IIRC did exactly what you want.

Oh wait. They had a different magic system so it probably wouldn't help too much...

AirGuitarGod32
2010-01-01, 08:45 PM
To this thread, I have two instances of Door Death(s).

First, our dwarf barbarian, with an int of 8 blew himself up, as well as a Drowcrafted Adamantine door using 200 bags of Alchemist's fire and 12 exploding runes. Lets say the DM had to houserule an Adamantine Door flying at 60mph's damage to the unfortunate drow underling caught behind it. :P

and second, we had an Oak Door. The same PC with his dwarf fighter kicks the door at full strength. nada. he tries to open the door. It was unlocked. This was followed by a Half-Black Dragon Troll's pseudo-vorpal bite attack, ripping his dwarfey head off.

the Moral: Always send the Dwarf in first...

Roderick_BR
2010-01-01, 08:59 PM

If it were AD&D, the answer would be "it hits you back in the face".

INWranger
2010-01-01, 09:32 PM
You or your DM may consider a "Delayed Explosive Runes" spell which would function just the same as explosive runes except for no one has to read it, it goes off after X amount of time.

J.Gellert
2010-01-01, 09:54 PM
If it were AD&D, the answer would be "it hits you back in the face".

Didn't it only bounce off things it didn't destroy?

Temotei
2010-01-01, 10:09 PM

Or if you want to be evil, get an organ in the background. Bard?

Ironically, I just noticed I quoted that from Kobold-Bard. Make it a kobold bard that brings in this mini organ you summon for him/her, or one (s)he has already to play an epic entrance song for you. Instead of light, you have to have something like fire or lightning behind you.

Grommen
2010-01-01, 10:36 PM
That's funny. Back in the day, I believe Lightning Bolts bounced off walls and stuff? It'd make Storm look even sillier.

"Stand Back! *bzzzt* Urgh... Reflex Save for half Urgh"

Many a geometrically challenged mage died in this fashion....Many a mage...

My vote is for Shatter. Maybe make a greater Shatter or empower that one or something. Should work just fine.

Now for greater sillyness, have a local wizard create a magic item out of some clay with spell. That way you can spread over the door for that added effect of C4.

mabriss lethe
2010-01-02, 01:24 AM
not quite what you're looking for, but the Thieve's Bane invocation in Cityscape is absolutely hilarious.