PDA

View Full Version : Familiars (DnD v.3.5)

realbombchu
2009-12-31, 11:00 AM
For whatever reason, I've decided to have a toad familiar for my new sorcerer character. I usually choose a hawk, but I guess I wanted something a little more humble this time. I know there are lots of ways to make a toad familiar still work, including something as simple as casting expeditious retreat on it before a battle, but I was wondering about something.

If I don't have any spells left to make it stronger or faster, and I really need it to deliver a touch spell in the same round (or least quickly), can I put the touch spell charge into my character's toad familiar and throw the little guy at my enemy? Would it damage the toad? What if I threw it gently? Just a thought that was bugging me, I guess.

Also, is there a feat that lets you share spells with a familiar over a distance and lets you make touch spells short range when used on your familiar? I think there's one for animal companions called Companion Spellbond, but I can't find one for familiars.

Finally, if anyone knows a good full caster sorcerer build that focuses on a (not improved) familiar, or at least uses one a lot, I'd like to see the general idea. Thanks everyone!

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-12-31, 11:05 AM
If I don't have any spells left to make it stronger or faster, and I really need it to deliver a touch spell in the same round (or least quickly), can I put the touch spell charge into my character's toad familiar and throw the little guy at my enemy? Would it damage the toad? What if I threw it gently? Just a thought that was bugging me, I guess.
You can throw him, and he'd probably take a bit of damage. I suggest you save this for a really important battle, because it is likely that your familiar will not survive being thrown at an enemy.

Yuki Akuma
2009-12-31, 11:23 AM
If you want a familiar that can deliver touch spells for you... don't take a toad.

realbombchu
2009-12-31, 01:27 PM
If you want a familiar that can deliver touch spells for you... don't take a toad.

Well yeah, I know. I guess I find toads kind of funny as familiars for that reason. I'm trying to find a way to make a toad work, even though it's not the best choice.

slayerx
2010-01-01, 12:45 AM
Also, is there a feat that lets you share spells with a familiar over a distance and lets you make touch spells short range when used on your familiar? I think there's one for animal companions called Companion Spellbond, but I can't find one for familiars.

Found this on DnDwiki
http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Enspell_Familiar_(3.5e_Feat)
Extends the range to up to 30ft

Since i'm not sure what's homebrewed on not on that site, may have to get it DM'd approved

Finally, if anyone knows a good full caster sorcerer build that focuses on a (not improved) familiar, or at least uses one a lot, I'd like to see the general idea. Thanks everyone!
Furtharmore their are a bunch of other familiar feats
http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Category:Familiar_Feat
Not sure how useful they can really make it but it's worth a look

familars start off very small and weak, they are not really meant to be relied on, only give you an trick or two

you might need to run some possibilities by your DM to see how open he would be... for instance, if you could use both "Big familiar" and "improved familiar" at the same time, you might be able to get a familiar thats more useful... probably need to homebrew a few feats

Zaydos
2010-01-01, 12:50 AM
Dragon Magazine Compendium has a feat for a 1 mile share spells with your familiar.

Also drakken familiar (Dragon Magic) allows you to trade Deliver Touch Spells for an hourly firebreath not much damage (1d6? + sorcerer level I think?) if you really think it can't do touch spells. I'd say it's not as good, but if it only has speed 5 might be worth it. Besides firebreathing dragon toad FTW.

Vizzerdrix
2010-01-01, 01:06 AM
So you took the worst familiar available? Don't panic :smallsmile:

If it was me, I'd dip Alienist-5 for the psudonatural familiar to help the toad, then go into The Familiarist (http://www.heliodragon.com/index.php/d20/familiarist)PrC.

Optimystik
2010-01-01, 03:22 AM
If it was me, I'd dip Alienist-5 for the psudonatural familiar to help the toad, then go into The Familiarist (http://www.heliodragon.com/index.php/d20/familiarist)PrC.

No! Unless you don't plan on summoning creatures anymore, Alienist is a trap!

Go Fiend-Blooded (HoH) instead - great abilities, no lost caster levels (just skip the capstone) and you get a Fiendish Toad :smallcool: