PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Telepathy Powers and Undead/Mind Affecting Immune

alisbin
2009-12-31, 11:25 AM
hey mates,
i've got myself a Telepath in my groups current campaign and as luck would have it, we're up against a cult that loves themselves some undead. for now (we're all about 3rd level) its not so bad since about half of our excursions are only peripherally related to the undeath cult (goblin raiders/bandits under the cult's loose employ mainly) but i know the time is going to come where we're going to hit some lichs/vampires/mummies/other intelligent undead.
so i'm looking for assistance on powers/feats that will allow me to contribute in those fights.
Character build/concept: Telepath->Thrallherd (gonna make the thrall psychokinetic, lotsa energy powers to make up for my near total lack of direct damage), he's totally into social skills and powers, mainly i'd like some powers that would buff my party a bit, and/or feats that would let me affect intelligent undead with my powers. i'm not looking to be superpowered, just useful when we inevitably start hitting undead/otherwise mind affecting immune enemies. our campaign is kinda a mix of low magic and medium magic and progression is fairly slow (i hit 3rd level at session 10-12) so i don't think i can count on getting above 12th level in this campaign, and that might not be for a year, maybe 2.
i'm currently working out of the SRD and Tome of Feats 2 (i think my group as a whole has just about every book but thats what i've got with psionics in it). also, i really don't want to cheese my way to power, i'd rather just be a badass party face if cheese is the only option.

current powers: Mind Thrust, Psionic Charm Person, Mindlink, Empathy, Demoralize, Psionic Suggestion, Read Thoughts.
Current Feats: Psicrystal Affinity, Psionic Body, Psionic Talent, Psionic Focus

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-12-31, 12:04 PM
If your DM is open to items from unofficial sources, I created a feat for such a scenario. It hasn’t seen much playtesting, but it should be pretty balanced. But if you do use it, I’d love some feedback.

Contact the Dead Mind

NEO|Phyte
2009-12-31, 12:20 PM
If feasible, purchase a manifestation or two of Psychic Reformation (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/psychicReformation.htm), and retrain some of your powers into more general-use ones. You may not be able to pull off a Batman level of general usefulness, but you can at least avoid a Superman level of crippling weakness. Malous (http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/profiler/view_char.php?cid=20557) would be a Telepath/Thrallherd I had in a game a while back, he's just a touch higher-level than you are, but it would give you an idea of stuff you can grab to still be useful when the mindless/mindblanked stuff rolls around. The first 6 levels worth of powers are properly sorted, after that, they're in the order I grabbed them on levelups.

alisbin
2009-12-31, 12:51 PM
my DM and i were talking about something in the vein that you suggested windrider, i'd very much like something like that but he seems on the fence so far.
as for retraining that won't help me, for RP purposes my character will never acquire powers that aren't Telepathy or Clairsentience (and no clairsentience until he's gotten all the telepathy powers that are useful and currently available) and all the damaging powers from those disciplines are mind affecting i think. his thrall will help even things out since she's going to have all the psychokinetic powers, i just want something so i don't just spend all my actions during fights with intelligent undead using my longspear to help out the fighter. whether it be a power that gives allies a bonus of some sort or a way to screw with the minds of some undead.