PDA

View Full Version : PCGEN question

Evard
2009-12-31, 11:29 AM
Is there anyway to add the classes from other books into this program or would that be some copy write violation? I was going to take a look at the Beguiler but found it wasn't there ^ ^.

OracleofWuffing
2009-12-31, 05:16 PM
Someone who's willing to put the elbow grease into it could create the information PCGen needs to understand the Beguiler class, however, it is pretty much a no-go to redistribute any D&D 3.5 information that isn't in the SRD for reasons that you've already guessed.

Crow
2009-12-31, 05:38 PM
I would love to know just how to get feats into there. I am a PCGEN noob though.

noiadodh
2009-12-31, 05:42 PM
isnt e-tools better?

Crow
2009-12-31, 05:46 PM
E-tools is pretty darn good. It is easier to add in new feats/equipment. Adding classes can be a pain, but it is still easier than PCGEN from my experience.

OracleofWuffing
2009-12-31, 05:48 PM
You probably would want to start here (http://pcgen.sourceforge.net/autobuilds/pcgen-docs/index.html), it seems like the List File section is where you would want to begin should you decide to start there. Under List Files->LST File Class, lessons 12 and 13 appear to deal with feats.

If you're less into reading and more into hitting things with hammers, go into your PCGen folder->data->my_dataset.* Everything in there is a lst file, it opens up with any generic text editor, have at it. I'd give you more info, but I never learned java. Looks like there's enough comments that you could figure things out without learning the full language, though.

*Haven't fiddled with PCGen in a long time, so I don't know if this is a default directory. If it isn't, go to data\d20ogl\srd\basics.

Edit for all the new posts: Yeah, I enjoy e-Tools a bit better, but it's kinda not distributed anymore to my knowledge.

Evard
2009-12-31, 05:57 PM
thanks, but e-tools? I'll search for that and see if it works a tad bit better

nylanfs
2009-12-31, 07:38 PM
eTools is no-longer distributed. You might be able to find a torrent of it. And if you want to create your own data sets for the linked lessons above are a good start. You can also join out Yahoo group PCGenListFileHelp group and ask questions on creating your own data files.

Thurbane
2009-12-31, 08:34 PM
PCGen is a great tool, and I use it a lot. However, putting in a class manually is a major headache, and often produces unexpected glitches. I tried to put in Dragon Shaman a while back, and the results were not great. YMMV.