PDA

View Full Version : Ships in the PHB and Animate Object

Matamane
2009-12-31, 11:34 AM
Does anyone have the mapping for a galley, and what size would that be considered?

Zeta Kai
2009-12-31, 11:49 AM
Does anyone have the mapping for a galley, and what size would that be considered?

Check Stormwrack, pages 98-102. Colossal, to be sure.

EDIT: A galley is on page 100 of Stormwrack. There's no map, but there are full stats (it is Colossal), & you can get an idea of how it should look from the other maps in that section.

DOUBLE EDIT: A quick Google search under "galley deckplan" turned up these (http://images.google.com/images?gbv=2&hl=en&sa=1&q=galley+deckplan&aq=f&oq=&aqi=&start=0). They're worth a look.

Melamoto
2009-12-31, 11:54 AM
The title seems appropriate, and yet at the same time, so inappropriate. Sure, you mention ships, but what does this have to do with animate object? And shouldn't you have called it something more like "Mapping PHB Ships" or something, rather than just "Ships in the PHB"? Do you have any more questions about animate object?

Matamane
2009-12-31, 12:32 PM
I want to build a pseudo airship for my Gnome. It needs to include a construct lab, an alchemist lab, enough luxury spacing for 8 PC's, and weaponry.

Any ship with mapping would work.

Also is animate objects affected by enlarge spell?

jmbrown
2009-12-31, 12:41 PM
I want to build a pseudo airship for my Gnome. It needs to include a construct lab, an alchemist lab, enough luxury spacing for 8 PC's, and weaponry.

Any ship with mapping would work.

Yes, you'll increase the range to 200 ft. + 20 ft./level.

But seriously, what does this topic have to do with animate object?

Zom B
2009-12-31, 12:43 PM

Yes. The range of Animate Objects is 100 ft + 10 ft/level. Enlarge Spell makes that 200 ft + 20 ft/level.

Matamane
2009-12-31, 04:16 PM
I want to affect twice as much. would Widen spell do it?

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-12-31, 04:19 PM
I want to affect twice as much. would Widen spell do it?Chain spell might, actually.

taltamir
2009-12-31, 04:22 PM
The range is only between you and a point in the ship closest to yourself. the range does not have to be enough to cover the entire object... since you are not casting it mid combat, it is irrelevant, you can just walk up to it and touch it.

A problem you have no thought about is, that unlike in NWN and other graphical representations, animated objects do not fly. if they have no locomotion they might hover (at 10ft per round), but they don't fly.
A wooden object can float on water at half its speed. (5ft/sec)
A sheetlike object can fly at half speed (so, flying carpet).

Since it is permanancied and not enchanted, it can be dispelled.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/animatedObject.htm
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/animateObjects.htm

An animated object can be of any nonmagical material. You may animate one Small or smaller object or an equivalent number of larger objects per caster level. A Medium object counts as two Small or smaller objects, a Large object as four, a Huge object as eight, a Gargantuan object as sixteen, and a Colossal object as thirty-two. You can change the designated target or targets as a move action, as if directing an active spell.

This spell cannot animate objects carried or worn by a creature.

Animate objects can be made permanent with a permanency spell.

To permanantly animate a colossal ship, you need to be caster level 32, and cast a permanancy spell costing 3000XP.
You can do a gargantuan at CL 16.

that CL32 seems to be the problem...

if you can find a creature that has an SLA to permanantly animate objects, you can avoid the XP cost... I doubt you could find one, especially one that can animate such a large object... maybe a creature that can animate a colossal object, but doesn't have permanancy? you can cast gate to summon it, have it cast the spell, then you cast the permanancy yourself (Spending 3000XP on it will probably make your DM more accepting of it).

deuxhero
2009-12-31, 04:34 PM
You still save a fortune on crew.