PDA

View Full Version : Epic Gish

alexthemad
2009-12-31, 11:35 AM
So I have my character planned to level 20, never thinking that he might see levels beyond. But my DM says that as long we are are still having fun, he is going to keep rolling with these guys. I have no experience at all with epic classes and such. Never thought I would have a need to even look at them. And...we are at level 20. So my question is, where do I go from here?

I have an Illumian Pal2/Sorc4/SpelSwo1/AbjCh4/Swiftblade9. All 3.5 is fair game.

Grumman
2009-12-31, 11:49 AM
Once you hit level 20 there's no difference between full B.A.B. and not, so I'd start working on boosting something else. Once you've hit 20 effective sorcerer levels, I'd suggest taking Spellthief and the Master Spellthief feat, to give you sneak attacks (that destroy your enemy's spells!) and more skill points, while still advancing your caster level.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-12-31, 11:55 AM
Methinks tis time for a bit of Sacred Exorcist. Turn Undead attempts can be used to fuel various fun and entertaining feats.

AirGuitarGod32
2009-12-31, 12:21 PM
I almost agree. But considering the near abuseablity of it, I'd say the following:

5 in Contemplative
5 in Divine Oracle

or if you want more arcane, then drop one for Rainbow Servant.

Either case, you gain Domains, which are more useful to you than, as stated Above, a Full BAB.

Mushroom Ninja
2009-12-31, 12:25 PM
I'd be tempted to take the last level of Swiftblade. Timestops are fun.

kentma57
2009-12-31, 12:25 PM
If you like crafing magic items, there is a decent epic prestige class for that...

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-12-31, 12:35 PM
Definitely get the spells Iceberg from Frostburn and Invoke Magic from Lords of Madness. Also try to include Incantatrix 3 or 4 in the build, for Metamagic Effect: Persistent Spell. Extraordinary Spell Aim in Complete Adventurer with Persistent Antimagic Field is a cheesy but effective protection from most magical effects, plus it suppresses all of your melee opponents' buffs and magic items, including supernatural DR (X/magic, X/epic, and X/alignment). The entire Heart of- line of spells in Complete Mage is good to have up at all times.

You can't have a Sorcerer thread without it being suggested that you use a Dragonwrought Kobold Loredrake, with the Greater Draconic Rite of Passage (http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a). That gives you +3 levels of Sorcerer spellcasting ability, which can make up for lost levels or even make your spellcasting ability exceed your character level.

Draz74
2009-12-31, 12:43 PM
You can't have a Sorcerer thread without it being suggested that you use a Dragonwrought Kobold Loredrake, with the Greater Draconic Rite of Passage (http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a). That gives you +3 levels of Sorcerer spellcasting ability, which can make up for lost levels or even make your spellcasting ability exceed your character level.

Though, past a certain point in Epic, lost caster levels hardly matter anymore. 20 effective Sorcerer levels and 33 ranks in Knowledge (arcana) is the same as 27 effective Sorcerer levels and 33 ranks in Knowledge (arcana).

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-12-31, 01:49 PM
Though, past a certain point in Epic, lost caster levels hardly matter anymore. 20 effective Sorcerer levels and 33 ranks in Knowledge (arcana) is the same as 27 effective Sorcerer levels and 33 ranks in Knowledge (arcana).

True, but as-is his build misses five levels of spellcasting. He can't take Epic Spellcasting until he gets 9th level spells at 23, whereas the Kobold cheese will let him take it at 21 with the same build.

Grumman
2009-12-31, 02:15 PM
Of course if the DM has the faintest clue of what he'd be in for, he isn't going to use Epic Spellcasting.

alexthemad
2009-12-31, 02:36 PM
I think I should also say that the char fights with a greatsword and makes use of leap attack as often as possible. Also I guess it wasn't quite true when I said all 3.5 is fair game :smallredface:, I don't have the book with Incantatrix. :smallfurious: Although, it is the next on my list.

I am curious about the Sacred Exorcist, although I havn't really looked at it much. When I started the character, I had envisioned him as a undead slayer, but as the game went by (we didn't have much dealings with undead) and gear came my way, he turned into more of a mage slayer.

Dont know about the Contemplative and the Divine Oracle, I've looked at them less than the Sacred Exorcist. I'll definatly look at them though.

I'm still trying to decide about the last level of Swiftblade.

Don't you have to be a kobold to do the Greater Draconic Rite of Passage?