PDA

View Full Version : Why didn't Monks get Uncanny Dodge and Improved Uncanny Dodge?

harpy
2009-12-31, 02:46 PM
In my ongoing series of questions on "Why did the 3E designers decide to do X?" Now I turn to the Monk and the curious lack of Uncanny Dodge and Improved Uncanny Dodge.

It fits with Rogues and Barbarians, but thematically it also fits with Monk, who'd you think, being the wisdom based classed oriented around "being present in the moment" type of flavor, would be a natural candidate for both of these class features.

Is it that the 3E designers saw all the class features the Monk was getting and thought, "we can't give them those also, it would be unfair for the Rogue and Barbarian!" or perhaps "We need to distinguish between the classes and so to make the Rogue and Barbarian more special, we'll withhold it from the Monk."

It's been a head scratcher for me for quite some time, and now after a decade it's quite clear that the Monk is a bit behind a lot of the other classes, and so now it seems even more odd that it was left off their class sheet.

Crow
2009-12-31, 02:49 PM
I think the designers looked at the monk and said "This guy is too powerful already. Giving him this would just be insane!".

Of course they were wrong, but that's probably what happened.

Foryn Gilnith
2009-12-31, 02:50 PM
Is it that the 3E designers saw all the class features the Monk was getting and thought, "we can't give them those also, it would be unfair

Hit the nail on the head.

Draz74
2009-12-31, 02:52 PM
That, and the way they get to keep their WIS bonus to AC while flat-footed is kind of like having Uncanny Dodge anyway.

LibraryOgre
2009-12-31, 04:42 PM
Because Wizards of the Coast is racist against Asians.

kpenguin
2009-12-31, 06:17 PM
I think the designers looked at the monk and said "This guy is too powerful already. Giving him this would just be insane!".

That's so crazy its almost undeniably true.

Tyndmyr
2009-12-31, 06:24 PM
Q: Why didn't Monks get Uncanny Dodge and Improved Uncanny Dodge?

A: Because God hates monks, and you should too.

Yuki Akuma
2009-12-31, 06:25 PM
Because Monks can't have nice things.

Tyndmyr
2009-12-31, 06:27 PM
Best monk thread of the week, by the way.

AslanCross
2009-12-31, 06:29 PM
Because Monks can't have nice things.

It might even be that they though "Monk has too many nice things already! They have Evasion, Slow Fall, Enhanced Speed, so many attacks per round, good saves, and can speak with anything! They're way too good!" :smallsigh:

Yuki Akuma
2009-12-31, 06:30 PM
It might even be that they though "Monk has too many nice things already! They have Evasion, Slow Fall, Enhanced Speed, so many attacks per round, good saves, and can speak with anything! They're way too good!" :smallsigh:

Yep! Just like how the Fighter has so many bonus feats, he doesn't need special abilities!

Melee can't have nice things.

Spiryt
2009-12-31, 06:32 PM
Beacuse....

In the midnight hour...
they suck more... more
MORE!