PDA

View Full Version : Adding Shapechange, At-Will.

Flarp
2009-12-31, 02:53 PM
Does anyone know if it is possible to give a standard human NPC the ability to Shapechange at will, without outside assistance? Class and level required are no object so long as he is below level 21, for obvious reasons.

Tavar
2009-12-31, 02:59 PM
Why does he need it at will? The simplest way would probably be to persist the spell, but that's not quite at will.

Grumman
2009-12-31, 03:06 PM
A Divine Minion with levels in Master of Many Forms would come quite close.

Schylerwalker
2009-12-31, 03:08 PM
If he's an NPC, and you're the DM...just give him the ability to change into anything he wants, at will, as the Shapechange spell. Whether he's related to dragons, dopplegangers, or dream-farting world-bending unicorns of Sugarpuff Land, or if the gods gave him his ability, or "a wizard did it"...it doesn't really matter if you're the one making the NPC.

Xzeno
2009-12-31, 03:35 PM
A Divine Minion with levels in Master of Many Forms would come quite close.

Not enough wizard. Need that familiar.

My first bit of advice would be to not make an NPC with such an overpowered spell at will. My next bit of advice would be to just give it to him. You are the DM, after all.

Flarp
2009-12-31, 04:14 PM
Why does he need it at will? The simplest way would probably be to persist the spell, but that's not quite at will.

I think I'll go with this.

As for those of you who are saying I should Rule 0 it, this NPC is going to be a rather important minion of the BBEG, and his use of said Shapechange ability and acquiring of it are going to be rather important.

I MAY just house-rule in that Shapechange can be made Permanent, which is basically just this idea taken further.

Flickerdart
2009-12-31, 04:15 PM
I MAY just house-rule in that Shapechange can be made Permanent, which is basically just this idea taken further.
Make sure to add enough of an XP cost to this that players can't abuse it. The BBEG, of course, can use baby souls to pay for it.

Je dit Viola
2009-12-31, 04:25 PM
What you could do is just have the guy be a minderaped succubus. That always works.

Flickerdart
2009-12-31, 04:37 PM
What you could do is just have the guy be a minderaped succubus. That always works.
Succubi don't have Shapechange. They don't even have Polymorph. They have a gimped version of Alter Self.

The Glyphstone
2009-12-31, 04:39 PM
A mindraped Phasm would work better, though that's only Large or smaller forms.

Je dit Viola
2009-12-31, 04:42 PM
Succubi don't have Shapechange. They don't even have Polymorph. They have a gimped version of Alter Self.

Oh, my mistake.

Something else then?