PDA

View Full Version : Critical hit damage (3.5)

Dandelions
2009-12-31, 03:29 PM
My friends and I are semi-new to D&D, and are playing the 3.5 edition.

Insofar, the way we have been doing damage on critical hits is by doubling the damage dice along with all modifiers (strength, magic weapons, ect.) with the exception of dice added by weapon special abilities.

However one of our players brought up the question of whether enhancement bonuses (like the +2 on a +2 longsword) counts as an ability over and above the usual damage, and should not be multiplied.

So, we have been playing:

Critical hit from a str 12 fighter with a +2 flaming longsword is
x2 (1d8 +1 strength +2 longsword enhancement, +2 weapon specialization) +1d6

Is this right? No one in our group can agree what it should be. Anyone able to clear this up?

Foryn Gilnith
2009-12-31, 03:32 PM
Extra flat bonuses (strength, power attack, +2 sword) are multiplied. Extra damage dice (sneak attack, flaming weapon, psychic strike) aren't multiplied.

See http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/glossary&term=Glossary_dnd_criticalhit&alpha=

KillianHawkeye
2009-12-31, 08:09 PM
Yes. Even the +2 from Weapon Specialization gets multiplied.

JaronK
2009-12-31, 08:14 PM
As others have said, if it's a flat bonus it's multiplied. If it's dice damage, only the base weapon damage is multiplied.

JaronK

Curmudgeon
2009-12-31, 08:54 PM
Extra damage dice (sneak attack, flaming weapon, psychic strike) aren't multiplied.
You've expressed this correctly, but for the OP let me point out that sneak attack damage not from dice (such as from the Craven feat) will also get multiplied on a critical hit.

Foryn Gilnith
2009-12-31, 09:50 PM
As would extra flat fire damage added to a weapon somehow. Say, if it were made out of Red Dragonfang (Dcn).

Yuki Akuma
2009-12-31, 09:53 PM
As would extra flat fire damage added to a weapon somehow. Say, if it were made out of Red Dragonfang (Dcn).

Or if you had Desert Wind Dodge.