PDA

View Full Version : Silky Tongue'd Ones [PEACH]

A Ladder
2009-12-31, 04:15 PM
Ok I thought up two builds that would be garbage in combat, but able to talk thier way out of any situation and I think it would be fun. any input would be greatly appreciated.

My first build centered around bluffing. do all of these bonuses stack? I built this character to weave such a fanciful web of deceit that I can't be touched.

ECL is the first part with the "level" that corresponds, then I have my class and it's level in (#).

the total bonus at the end takes into account all the synergies and feat bonuses (besides Intimidate, which loses bonuses when the shawm/harmonica are in effect)

(human bluffer)
1st level Bard (1).
Feat: skill focus: Bluff (+3)
Feat: Persuasive (+2 bluff, intimidate)
2nd lvl Warlock (1).
(beguiling Influence +6 bluff, intimidate, Diplomacy)
3rd Lvl bard (2).
Feat: Deceitful: +2 Disguise, Forgery.
4th lvl Mountebank (3):
(Tongue of the Devil: +Int to bluff)
5th lvl Bard (3).
6th lvl Bard (4).
Feat: Charlatan (+2 Bluff, Disguise)
7th lvl Bard (5).
8th lvl bard (6)
9th lvl Bard (7)
Feat: Subsonics.
10th lvl Bard (8)

Assuming 32 point build. (input here please!) Should i keep my wisdom high so i can have a good sense motive?
Cha 18, Int 18, Wis 14, Dex 16, Con 14, Str 12,
Skill bonus (with harmonica/shawm +4)

Bluff: +21
Intimidate: +10 (syn +2bluff, [-4 if shawm/harmonica are in effect])
Disguise: +10 (syn: +2bluff)
Diplomacy: +16 (syn: +2bluff, +2Knowledge
Nobility/Royality, +2sense motive)
Gather Info: +6 (syn: +2Knowledge Local)
Forgery: +2

A successful Forged document grants a +2 circumstance bonus to either Bluff, Diplomacy, or Intimidate checks.

Remember: I can gain all this at 6th level…

Any input on other feats/magic items that would help someone who lies to EVERYONE?

And here is my second build. a bit more honest, but one who likes to take advantage of others' hostpitality.

(Half Elf wheeler dealer)
1st lvl Bard (1)
Feat: Skill Focus: Diplomacy (+3)
2nd lvl Warlock (1)
(beguiling Influence +6 bluff, intimidate, Diplomacy)
3rd lvl Bard (2)
Feat: Complementary Insight (Synergies = +3)
4th lvl bard (3)
5th lvl Bard (4)
6th lvl Bard (5)
Feat: Trustworthy (+2 Diplomacy, Gather Info)
7th lvl Bard (6)
8th lvl Bard (7)
9th lvl Bard (8)
Feat: Negotiator (+2 Diplomacy, Sense Motive)
10th lvl Bard (9)

Assuming 32 point build. (again, Input on abilities would be great!)
Cha 18, Int 18, Wis 14, Dex 16, Con 14, Str 12,
Skill bonus (with harmonica/shawm +4)
Elf racial +2 to diplomacy/Gather Info

Diplomacy: +28 (Syn: +3Knowledge Nobility/Royalty, +3bluff,
+3sense motive)
Bluff: +10
Intimidate: +9 (syn: +3bluff)
Disguise: +7 (syn: +3bluff)
Gather Info: +9 (syn: +3Knowledge Local)
Sense Motive: +2

Remember: All synergies are +3 thanks to Complimentary Insight.
So as you can see, not a straight up liar like my previous build. more of one who can make everyone his freind and spin things to his advantage.

Here are the rules on Harmonicas and Shawms

Harmonica: A later refinement on pan pipes (see below), the harmonica substitutes metal tubes for the reeds and encloses them in a small, rectangular casing. The musician simply blows into the top of the harmonica at various points to produce a range of notes. This instrument’s high, buzzing sound is popular among some halflings and gnomes.
Bardic Music: Harmonica music warms the hearts of commoners and other folk of humble station. Thus, a successful Perform check in such company grants the musician a +4 circumstance bonus on Bluff, Diplomacy, Disguise, and Gather Information checks involving any of those listeners for 1d6 hours after the performance ends. In addition, it shifts the attitude of the listeners by one category in the performer’s favor (for example, from friendly to helpful—see the NPC Attitudes section in Chapter 5 of the Dungeon Master’s Guide). However, it also imposes a -4 circumstance penalty on Intimidate checks made against such listeners for the same period. Producing these effects is a supernatural, mind-affecting ability.

Shawm: This double-reed precursor to the oboe looks a bit like an inverted scepter. Some shawms are highly decorated, which increases their resemblance to scepters even more. The typical shawm measures about 26-28 inches in length and has seven or eight fingerholes.
Shawms were developed for open-air performances; thus their music tends to be very loud. Many aristocratic amateur musicians have adopted the shawm as their instrument of choice, since it is not only attractive to the eye, but also quite distinctive in sound. Treants adore the sound of any sort of shawm, though they are most partial to the crumhorn (see above)
Bardic Music: A shawm bestows a certain prestige on anyone who can play it properly. Thus, a successful Perform check made in an aristocratic setting grants the performer a +4 circumstance bonus on Bluff, Diplomacy,
Disguise, and Gather Information checks made against listeners for 1d6 hours after the performance ends. It also shifts the attitude of such listeners by one category in the performer’s favor (for example, from indifferent
to friendly—see the NPC Attitudes section in Chapter 5 of the Dungeon Master’s Guide). However, it also imposes a -4 circumstance penalty on Intimidate checks against those listeners for the same period. Creating
the above effects is a supernatural, mindaffecting ability.