PDA

View Full Version : Help from those who play Wind Instruments

Gaelbert
2009-12-31, 07:43 PM
I received an Irish tin whistle for Christmas and I'm trying to learn how to play it. I don't really know how to tongue an instrument, as the other ones I play have never required it. The instruction manual was confusing, so I was hoping someone could help me out with instructions on how to properly tongue an instrument.
Thanks.

onthetown
2009-12-31, 08:12 PM
I bought a tin whistle and learned to play it awhile ago, though it's been awhile... I never had to "tongue" it or do anything requiring a tongue with it to play songs. :smalleek:

Sorry if it's not that helpful, just an observation. I'm a fiddler, so wind instruments aren't really my specialty... But, yeah. Never did any tongue stuff.

Froogleyboy
2009-12-31, 08:19 PM
Make a "Tsk" sound whilst playing

Sneak
2009-12-31, 08:50 PM
Make a "Tsk" sound whilst playing

More like just a "t" sound, but yeah, this.

THAC0
2009-12-31, 08:58 PM
Ta. Basically, your tongue is just barely touching the back of your teeth, near where they meet the roof of your mouth.

That said, I don't tongue very often on the pennywhistle.

Mando Knight
2009-12-31, 10:27 PM
Ta. Basically, your tongue is just barely touching the back of your teeth, near where they meet the roof of your mouth.

Basically. Trying to do more than that takes more practice and should be used mostly on faster songs. Basic tonguing is a piece of cake, and will probably feel natural once you realize what it is.

Rutskarn
2009-12-31, 10:45 PM
I am a wind instrument!

Ahahaaha! Aha! Ahaahaaha! Ahahahaha!

Hehe. Heh. "Wind instrument."