PDA

View Full Version : Please help me flesh out a character´s backstory (calling anime fans)

ScIaDrd
2009-12-31, 08:46 PM
So my fellow Playgrounders, I decided to apply to a PbP game here on our fine fora (Got ditched by my IRL group, but that is beside the point...)
So I´m vriting my very first charcter backstory ever an here is what have I got so far:
Warning: really honking long:smallamused: Also note: all that angst and 1800´s romance novel-prose is entirely intentional. But feel free to comment on my writing style anywas, I want to improve as a writer. And yes, I am aware that his father has a girl´s name. By the way I intend to go NG human Bard.

Background

Dagda Airemal was born a in the small rural village of Yewfaire as the only son of Elaine Airemal, a craftsman whose trade was making various musical intruments, and Madb Airemal, a moderately wealthy trader in ale, glass and other common wares. She had a drop of green dragon blood in her veins and wielded minor sorcerous powers.
Little Dagda always wieved her as as a mysterious and majestic force much greater than himself and , althoug he did not love her as much as he loved his father, bacuse she wasn´t around much of the time, doing ,,grown-up stuff¨ as she called it, the kid still admired he beceause she was able to escape the boring dullnes, or his everyday life that mostly involved cleaning, helping dad carve flutes, assemble lutes and playing these intruments in his spare time.
However, everything changed that fateful night when Dagda stayed up late. to hear his parents talking about something in the kitchen.
,,I have were good news honey said.'' Madb to her husband¨almost bursting with self-assured childish glee.
And what is that?' inquired Elaine
,,We are gonna be rich! Rich! Rich like the Baron of Bennen. Ely, honeybun!'' her voice rising into almost a sing-song. ,,I cheated those dullards at Ciarak and Sons out of a whole 5000 gold pieces.¨
Elaine´s face instantly went almost the same shade of pale greyish white as the week old porridge on the table.
,You did what?¨ the father sputtered, nearly boiling with rage.
Hohhoohhoo, she tittered, her laughter sounding like glass breaking into a thousand chips on a stone. , You think I care wether you care or not! We are gonna be rich and vthat´s all that matters.¨ she let out another shrill laugh and advance to hug her husband but he recoiled in fear and disgust of what his belowed wife had become. ,,Fine!" she snarled but you are blind fool who would not know furtune if it kicked him in his sorry knavish ass!" she then went to bed but let out one last slightly evil sqeal under her breath that in particular drew Dagda´s attention, because he knew instantly in the very core of his soul that this was a fateful moment an a very ill omen indeed.
He coulden´t have been more right.
Several days later, Somebody knocker harashly on the door The parents went to answer , telling little Dagda to stay behind. He hid bein a column and when his fater opened the door he saw several armed representatives of the Ciiarak and Sons´Common Wares guild that supplied his mother. The tall man who appeared to be the leader interrogated Dagda´s father. ,Our diviners and, um, informants tell us that it were you Mister who was involved inb the recent fraud in our esteemmed guild. What can you tell us about that, Mister?
,,I.. Um..Uhh I ded nat do et!... honest! Elaine stammered in horror, nearly\ bawling.
This maggot is no good , besides boys,the seer and every body says he did it.. I Think I´´ ll do him a favor..'' Snarled the capitan. And drew his dagger. Dagda quicklt turned his head away from the comfrotation, that has by the the sounds of gruntig and straining devolved in to a brutish brawlan then he let out a shriek of horror obscured the horrible sound of sword stabbling flesh.
From that day one everythig Changed. Dagda did his cores without any joy, as a mere zombie would, And his bother didnot talk to him except when giving orders wha he was to next and beate him cruelly for even the smallest mistakes. And one day Dagda could not bear it anymore. He picked his meager belonging and the beloved lute his father made for him and left. Dagda walked and walked far far away with only one wish, to be free from it all. It was then that he realiyed what he wanted most in his life was to be able to let people around him experience that what his late father shoven him and what has his mother so crully denied.also he wished to find somebody who would be close to him. Then after many months of living as a beggar until he was picked up by a travelling theatrical company, where a senior actor by the name of Onegus Finn.took him under his wing a taught him all there is to know about theatrics and stage fighting. Dagda travelled with the Nomadic actors for several years although he didn´t earn wealth or fame it was a happy , albeit monotonous life, in a tightly knit circle of friends
(Yeah, you guessed right, he is based off of Fate Testarrosa from the anime Magical girl lyrical Nanoha.)
Personality
Dagda is quite reserved and shy , partculary around women, but getting him into a varm and amaable copany, preferably with lot of quality ale and liqueur will unie his tounge, as will talks about music theathre an the fine arts. H eis very unconfortable around women because of the traumas he suffered in childhood. He cannot often admit his own feelings and is either fearful and shy, or cold and dismissive an only occasionaly happy and friendly
Appearance
Dagda Airemal is a lanky and slim man with small sad bluegray eyes ,and dark brown hair styled in a frizzy unkempt bobcut. His only distinguishing features are his knobbly knees and some mostly healed over scars on his back, that he recieved in his childhood from his grief-stricken mother´s beatings.
When not outfitted in armor he primarily wears a green linen shirt with long sleeves,plain brown flax trousers that go to his shins and tacky leather shoes.
(whev it took the better part of two holday days...)
So what I want you to help me with is how to properly characterize him so he´ll fit the mold of a Tsundere (or an Oranyan to be exact) (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Tsundere).
because I indended for him to meet a soceress who theaches him to use bardic magic by helping him acess his draconic heritage and she falls for him, but he, being emotinally stunted and scarred by his childhood, cannot realize his feelings and Oranyan-ness ensues And I have no idea how to roleplay it in the game
Now you may ask why I want play such a cliche character type.
Firstly I´m a noob roleplayer and I thought it would be easy to RP (turns out, I was wrong)
Secondly I want to see how it is like to use such a personality type in an actual (quasi-)reality. Thirdly I think it a logical conseqence of his backstory.
So, now can I ask you to provide whatever and any sort of constructive criticism? I love to hear any notes and comments on this chracter, his backstory, his Oranyan-ness and how to roleplay it.