PDA

View Full Version : epic invocations

Desmond Tiny
2009-12-31, 09:20 PM
I implore the forumgoers to help me create a system of epic invocations for the warlock.

Anonymouswizard
2010-01-01, 05:53 AM
Improved invocation capacity
Prerequisites: caster level 20, ability to use dark invocations.
Benefit: you learn one invocation of the epic grade or lower. You can use this invocation as any other.

We need a name for epic invocations, but that should get you started.

Mongoose87
2010-01-01, 10:22 AM
The thing about invocations, is that you can do them all day. An Epic level all-day power could be pretty devastating ( I won't say overpowered because, hey, it's Epic!). Perhaps letting them pick up a few higher level spells as invocations would be appropriate.

Arbitrarious
2010-01-01, 01:12 PM
Dread Invocations?

deuxhero
2010-01-01, 01:28 PM
Eldritch Cannon
Full power, destroy everything!
When you apply this blast shape to your Eldritch Blast it becomes a line that continues infinitely until it meets a target it can not destroy. Each hit does it's full damage (an exception to the rules for going through objects).

jokey665
2010-01-01, 02:32 PM
I could use some of these myself, as I'm doing a partial (but pretty large) rewrite of the epic rules to make them more usable, and more content is always good times.

Realms of Chaos
2010-01-01, 06:27 PM
On the wizards sight awhile back, there were full details on the stats of the epic-level warlock. There were no such things as epic invocations, I'm afraid. Instead, there were epic level feats.

Each feat required a set of different invocations and gave a collection of thematically similar abilities, normally greatly improving one or two of the prerequisite invocations (to keep them at least somewhat usable in epic play) and giving a couple of high-level (7-9th) spell effects (usable at will, of course).

also, the epic warlock can select dark invocations with the extra invocation feat.

Desmond Tiny
2010-01-02, 01:00 PM
Could you post a link to those feats. I might use them.

Eloel
2010-01-02, 02:24 PM
Could you post a link to those feats. I might use them.

http://tinyurl.com/yew773q

ScIaDrd
2010-01-02, 03:24 PM
Eldritch Cannon
Full power, destroy everything!
When you apply this blast shape to your Eldritch Blast it becomes a line that continues infinitely until it meets a target it can not destroy. Each hit does it's full damage (an exception to the rules for going through objects).
I see what you did there:smalltongue::smallbiggrin:
And in the same vein..
Multiblast<Invocation V, S, Medium
When you apply this essence invocation to your Eldriitch Blast you can fire up to (Int mod) shots of your Eldrtich blast simultaneously. Each blast can danage only one object or creature, but one object or creature can be targeted by multiple blasts. However, multiplying you Eldritch blast in this way is draining and the warlock takes either ( total damage dealt by Eldritch Multiblast,) as nonlethal damage or (number of Eldritch blasts shot simultaneously) points of temporary Constitution damage) at the DM´s choice.
Greater invocation. Effective spell level 8th

Binding blast <Invocation V, S, Long (eldritch essence)[compulsion] [Mind-affecting]>
When you apply this essence invocation to your Eldriitch Blast any creature struck is also affected as per the Hold Person spell as if cast by you for three rounds plus 1 per two caster levels. Lesser invocation. Effective spell level 3rd (Better now?)
Blast of Befriending Invocation [mind affecting]>
Any creature struck by the warlock´s Eldritch blast has to make will save at the difficulty of 10 + the level of the spell + your bonus for the relevant ability
or have it´s attitude torwards the warlock ,and any his allies that the target knows of changed to Friendly, for an indefite lenght of time until it is smehow changed. Thiis is a mind affecting ability.
Greater invocation. Effective spell level 7th

Scavenging blast V, S, Long Invocation (eldritch essence)
As you use this invocation you postpone the casting of your eldritch blast, gathering residual magical energy to fuel it. The Eldritch Blast deals additonal 1d6 point of damage per four spell levels of all spells cast in a 30 foot circle centered around the warlock up to a maximum of three times the maximum damage of your Eldriitch Blast. The warlock takes 8d6 points of lethal damage as backlash when he fires a blast supercharged in this way. Using this invocation is a full round action that provokes attacks of opportunity
Greater invocation. Effective spell level 9th
Done for now. Time to go for the crazy!

Psychotrapeutic blast Invocation V, S, Long (eldritch essence)[compulsion] [Mind-affecting]>
Any creature struck by the Any creature struck by the warlock´s Eldritch blast has to make will save at the difficulty of 10 + the level of the spell + your bonus for the relevant ability or be dazed for 1d6 rounds. It allso takes -2 morale penalty to saving throws made against any behavior influencing effects made by the warlock for (Cha mod ) days. This is a mid affecting abillity.
Lesser invocation. Effective spell level 4th

:smallconfused: Sorry no epic ones, but I really enjoyed making these. Also PEACH please.
EDIT: And the rest of these are good? In particulary curious about Scavenging blast and Multiblast. Also is there any way that Befriending blast can be made sufficiently (and seriously) workable?
Beacuse, yeah, it is an offhand gag and shoutout most of all, but it´d be realy cool to have. What about it instead does this: Target is [I]Charmed[/I for (Cha mod+CL hours) rounded down and then it takes a -4 penalty against any Diplomacy checks and Conpulsion effects made by the warlock for (cha mod ) days rounded down.
Is it any better now?

TabletopNuke
2010-01-02, 11:37 PM
VERY YES!

Epic invocation doesn't have the right ring? What about cataclysmic invocation? That classy enough?

Blast of Befriending Invocation (eldritch essence) [mind affecting]>
Any creature struck by the warlock´s Eldritch blast has to make will save at the difficulty of 10 + the level of the spell + your bonus for the relevant ability
or have it´s attitude torwards the warlock ,and any his allies that the target knows of changed to Friendly, for an indefite lenght of time until it is smehow changed. Thiis is a mind affecting ability.
Greater invocation. Effective spell level 7th

"My warlock blasts the ogre warlord in the face with a blast of befriending!"
"The orge warlord takes 83 points of damage and wants to be friends with you now."

LOL.

Does that seem kind of screwed up to anyone else? Maybe you should change it from an eldritch essence invocation to a regular one. As for range, um, long? (I haven't run epic games in a while).

Zaydos
2010-01-02, 11:45 PM
Binding blast <Invocation(eldritch essence)[compulsion] [Mind-affecting]>
When you apply this essence invocation to your Eldriitch Blast any creature struck is also affected as per the Hold Person spell as if cast by you.
Lesser invocation. Effective spell level 3rd

I'd say this one at least is a little too strong. Binding Blast (Complete Mage) is a save or 1 round stun dark invocation. This is limited to humanoids only but has a longer duration (more saves) and lower DC but at a much lower level.

Desmond Tiny
2010-01-03, 06:30 PM
Thank you guys for helping I may post some of my own later.

Xtomjames
2011-05-08, 09:34 AM
Here are my rules for Epic Invocations (I posted them on D&DWiki http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Epic_Invocation_Creation)

Seed:Epic Invocation Creation Varied [The following is a set of rules designed to allow for the creation of Epic Invocations instead of being limited to standard invocations at epic level.]

Sadly the Standard 3.5 system does little in the way for the Epic Warlock. Invocations are limited to the Least, Lesser, Greater, and Dark invocations. What is funny is that the one class in the game that is innately powered by Arcane influences can't create new invocations. The following is a set of rules designed to allow new invocations to be made

Epic Invocations unlike the pre-Epic invocations are limited in uses per day as per Epic spells with a reduced divisor. Thus the number of Epic invocations that can be used per day is the ranks held in Knowledge Arcana divided by 5 (rather than 10). Unlike Epic Spells the number of Epic Invocations that can ever be known is equal to the ranks the character has in Knowledge Arcana. These invocations can't be affected by any Meta-magic or Epic Meta-magic feats. The Spellcaster DC is 15+half the epic Warlock's level+Cha Mod, this is used for overcoming SR and Counter spell.

Epic Invocations do not have to be prepared, and can simulate or emulate Epic Spells provided in the Epic Level Handbook but always consider the listed Gold Cost and XP to be half for a Warlock.

Constructing Epic Level Invocations. Creating your own epic invocations can be rewarding. On Page 88 of the Epic Level Handbook the process of developing your own Epic Spells is explained. It is exactly the same for Epic Invocations except as I describe below.

Cost: An Epic Invocation costs 4500 gp X Final Spellcraft DC of the Epic Invocation, an Epic Invocation requires twice as long to develop as an Epic Spell per 50,000 gp spent to develop it. XP cost is a major difference; where an Epic Spell requires that 1/25 of the total materials cost be spent in XP, an Invocation only requires 1/50th. Epic Invocations are cast in 30 seconds not one Minute. Duration is always half of what an Epic Spell would have with a minimum of Instantaneous.

Besides the Spell Seeds listed I'll add a few here.
Invocation: Evocation
Hellfire DC 25
Components: S
Casting Time: 30 seconds
Range: See Text
Target: See Text
Duration: 20 minutes
Saving Throw: Reflex For Half (including Evasion and Improved Evasion)
Spell Resistance: No
Energy Resistance: No

You call forth the fires of Hell its self merging one of the nine hells momentarily with a space you define. This can target one or more creatures or be an area of effect no more than 30 feet squared. (Reduce DC by 3 if for a single target, 1 if its a group of creatures of which there are no more than 10 with in 10 feet of each other).

This does 20D6 Hellfire damage to the creatures affected. Targeted Creatures who do not leave the effected area will continue gain +2d6 points of damage per round for the duration of the spell. There is a 20% chance that any person still within the spell effect area (unless single target spell) will be dragged back into the Hell dimension when the spell ends.
Shadow Plane Essence 31
Components: V. S.
Range: See Text
Target: See Text
Duration: See Text
Saving Throw: none
Spell Resistance: No

You call forth the Plane of Shadow into a space. The shadowy darkness is so deep and non-magical that nothing but Blindsight, Tremorsense, and Blindsense can see through it. Not even True Seeing and other spells that would normally allow you to see through magical darkness penetrate this darkness. Normal site is hindered as if you were blinded. Creatures with Darkvision can see up to five feet in front of them. Creatures native to the Shadow Plane can see as usual and gain access to this realm and exist in this space with a 30% chance of creatures entering into the space with no more than 5 HD per round the rift has been opened max 15 HD.

The tear in space that allows for the Shadow Plane to enter into the physical realm remains open until closed. Every five rounds it is open there is a added 10% chance it cannot be closed by the caster and will become bigger, this is an accumulative percentage. 40 Cubic feet of True Darkness seeps out per round. It is a Will save on the part of the Caster, DC Half the Caster Level+ Cha Modifier +1/round open to will the rift closed. If the Rift remains open it will grow to a 10 foot by 10 foot rift and the Shadow plane will continue to spill out. A targeted Dispel or Anti-Magic field could collapse the rift presuming it beats the DC of the Invoker.

Evils' Visage DC 20
Components: V
Range: Personal
Target: Self
Duration: 1/round per caster level minimum 21 rounds.
Saving Throw: N/A
Spell Resistance: N/A

You call forth the evil presence of an Elder Evil as a Visage. You gain +20 to the following: Strength, Con, and Dex. Immunity to Good Aligned Spells. You take 1 point of con damage for each round this is used. If you reach 0 Con there is a 50% chance your soul will be ripped from existence and taken down to the Deepest Hell where pure Evil Resides.

(Hope this helps; XtomJames)