PDA

View Full Version : The Endless Dungeon - Sheen

Tyndmyr
2009-12-31, 10:41 PM
http://travislerol.com/D&D/Starting.jpg

You awaken in the center of a 10ft by 15ft room with stone walls, ceilings, and floors. A torch is burning on the wall behind you, while the other three walls have closed, metal doors with brackets allowing you to bar them from the inside. Unfortunately, only two metal rods are lying on the floor.

Chemus
2010-01-01, 12:39 AM
Sheen, surprised that he was asleep, mutters "One...two...hmm..."

He proceeds to bar the north and east doors. He takes the torch from the wall strikes the head of one of the sunrods hanging at his belt, activating it, then he kicks the south door open, torch in one hand, glaive in the other hand.

"You will tell Sheen what is going on!"

Tyndmyr
2010-01-04, 08:45 PM
http://travislerol.com/D&D/SouthDoor.jpg

Your cry echos off the halls once you open the door, and you see a short, narrow, unlit, hallway, five feet in width, and twenty in length. Just over halfway down, a door leads to the left, while at the end, another door leads straight ahead.

Chemus
2010-01-04, 09:18 PM
Sheen moves down the south hallway to the south door, probing the squares ahead of him with his glaive. If his probing finds no traps, he backtracks to the east door in the hallway and opens it.

If there are no creatures beyond it, he opens the south door as well. And if no creatures are beyond that as well, he returns to the original room and, shoulder to the door, removes the east bar. Then he steps back, ready to attack anything that tries to open the door. (Same for the barred north door as for the barred east door.)

Tyndmyr
2010-01-04, 09:25 PM
Well, to the east, thar be monsters.

In a particularily messy 15ft by 15ft room, you see two zombie kobolds feasting on the remains of one of their brethren. There is a door on the far side of the room.

Chemus
2010-01-04, 10:48 PM
Sheen yells, "By the Light! Foul abominations, come to your final rest!" Then he moves 10' north to be adjacent to the north door of the hallway, and readies to attack the first thing that comes out of the room with the zombie kobolds.

Tyndmyr
2010-01-05, 07:26 PM
Sure enough, the zombies head out. Ones steps out in front of you, and you can hear the next one slavering behind him.

Thanks to zombies being slow as dirt, they only take a single action, so after your AoO, feel free to skip to your turn.

Chemus
2010-01-05, 08:25 PM
Sheen's readied action's condition is met by the zombie kobold exiting the room, so he attacks it, hitting AC [roll0] with his glaive for [roll1] slashing damage. If that doesn't kill it, and it's still moving toward him, he takes his AoO against the same zombie, hitting AC [roll2] with his glaive for [roll3] slashing damage.

If that killered it, and the other Zobold is moving toward him, the AoO is against it.

Sheen will take a 5' step back, if he can (he never closed the door behind himself), and that ends his turn, since he readied a standard action to attack.

Tyndmyr
2010-01-05, 08:36 PM
The second attack connects, heavily damaging the first zombie, but not quite bringing it down.

The zombie nearest you takes an AoO as you move back.

Spear: [roll0]
Dmg:[roll1]

On his turn, he'll charge toward you, and of course, you get an AoO before his charge hits.

Chemus
2010-01-05, 08:45 PM
5' steps don't allow AoO's do they? Good thing Sheen's AC is 19 anyway.

Also, he needs 10' to charge, no? I was 5' away after my step, my AoO assumed that Zobold #1 closed with Sheen.

Unless Zobolds are denied free actions, it can take a 5' step and attack Sheen. But a 5' step normally doesn't allow AoO's, that I know of.

Edit: Anyway, to respond correctly to your post: AoO vs. Zobold #1 hits AC 1d20+4 with a glaive for 1d10+4 slashing damage.

Chemus
2010-01-05, 08:54 PM
Reposted from the edit above: "AoO vs. Zobold #1 hits AC [roll0] with a glaive for [roll1] slashing damage."

Darn. Didn't know that the forum roller doesn't work during an edit. I promise that I didn't remove a bad roll. I don't even know whether I can; never tried.

Tyndmyr
2010-01-05, 09:02 PM
Yeah, it's picky...good point, I could have 5ft adjusted...got to used to the "single action" zombie thing, I forgot about that option. Not that it matters, he died horribly.

The second zombie will move up to you(falling corpse in between would mess up his charge)

Chemus
2010-01-05, 09:06 PM
Sheen takes another 5' step and is adjacent to the barred north door in the starting room now. He swings his glaive at Zobold #2, hitting AC [roll0] with his glaive for [roll1] slashing damage.

Tyndmyr
2010-01-05, 09:20 PM
That's a hit. The zombie adjusts next to you and takes another stab. If he were brighter, he might rejoice at having trapped you against a wall.

Spear: [roll0]
Dmg: [roll1]

Chemus
2010-01-05, 09:37 PM
Sheen, heedless of the threat the Zobold poses, moves around it, from I2 to I1, then south to L1 K1. Sheen then takes a powerful swing with his glaive, hitting AC [roll0] for [roll1] slashing damage. His AoO for the charging hits AC [roll2] for [roll3] slashing damage.

Tyndmyr
2010-01-05, 09:40 PM
The zombie takes his AoO on you, before you crush him like a bug.

[roll0]
[roll1]

+300 XP, +60GP found on the bodies.

Chemus
2010-01-05, 09:58 PM
(woohoo! Re-Deaded 'em!)

Sheen grabs the coins and spears. Do they have the small crossbows too?

Sheen examines the iron door he opened that leads from K2 to L2. How thick is it? If it's less than an inch thick, he stands at J1 and uses detect evil (http://dndsrd.net/spellsDtoE.html#detect-evil) with the cone facing east, and says, "Don't know why I didn't try this before..."

Otherwise, he continues to the east door at J2 and, holding it shut, slides out the bar.

If something resists the door, he moves to L2.

Assuming an opened door, Sheen's initiative roll is [roll0].

Tyndmyr
2010-01-05, 10:08 PM
It is somewhat less than an inch thick. You definitely detect evil to the east and, presuming that you then want to concentrate for the full three rounds, realize it's a single, faint evil aura coming from a bit to the right.

Chemus
2010-01-05, 10:23 PM
Sheen lifts out the bar, and if something resists, he moves to L2. Otherwise he tries to open the door with his glaive from L2. (Is that possible?)

Tyndmyr
2010-01-05, 10:26 PM
Well, on doors opening outward, it is, so you're good in this case, after unbarring the door.

You peer down a long, gloomy, empty hallway, with half a dozen mouldering wooden doors, all alike, along it's length.

http://travislerol.com/D&D/CenterDoor.jpg

Chemus
2010-01-05, 10:53 PM
Sheen prods the floor at J3, moves there, probes J4 and moves, then probes j5. Then, from j4, opens the southern mouldering door at J3/K3.

Tyndmyr
2010-01-07, 09:23 PM
When you prod the door at J3, you hear a bit of crashing, then an orc bursts out after you.

Fortunately, his arrival was sufficiently clumsy as to not take you by surprise, so time for init.

[roll0]

Chemus
2010-01-07, 10:09 PM
Sheen's reflexes allow him to go [roll0]...

...first. So he moves 5' southwest, and attacks mightily, swinging with sheer brute force. His glaive attack hits AC [roll1] for [roll2] slashing damage.

...second. So he moves 15' south and readies to attack the orc as it approaches. His glaive attack is the same as above.

If the orc's movement provokes an AoO, Sheen's attack hits AC [roll3] for [roll4] slashing damage.

Tyndmyr
2010-01-07, 10:10 PM
Can't take both a move action and a 5ft adjust, Im afraid.

Edit: Clarification>>> Can't move and 5ft adjust. You can take a move action and a 5ft adjust so long as the move action doesn't actually involve moving. It's sorta a weird rule, I know.

Chemus
2010-01-07, 10:14 PM
I apologize for being unclear.

Those statements are for if he goes first or second.

He went first and most likely missed, unless the orc is a real pansy. His AoO also most likely missed.

Tyndmyr
2010-01-07, 10:18 PM
Ahhh, gotcha. Yeah, that makes sense. Yes, both miss unfortunately(the orc does provoke), however, due to the way you moved, the orc can't get a charge coming out the door.

So, normal attack.

Falchion: [roll0]
Dmg: [roll1]

Chemus
2010-01-07, 10:24 PM
Sheen is grateful for the protection provided by his armor (takes 5 damage) and that the attack didn't do better.

Sheen drops the glaive, and draws the heavy flail as a move action (no AoO). He then proceeds to pummel at the orc with all his might, hitting AC [roll0] for [roll1] bludgeoning damage.

Chemus
2010-01-07, 10:25 PM
Crit check, hitting AC [roll0] for [roll1] more bludgeoning damage.

Tyndmyr
2010-01-07, 10:32 PM
The orc is...dead. Deader than dead, if possible. Sheen's pretty sure that such a blow probably killed his descendants, too.

+150 xp.

Of course, you'll loot the body, where you'll find his armor and weapons(assume this to be the case for all mobs you kill) as well as 1000 copper coins.

Chemus
2010-01-07, 10:37 PM
"May you now find peace."

Sheen retrieves the glaive, and takes the falchion, putting it on his back, and removes the armor placing it in the sack with the 20# of coins the orc was carrying.

He goes to the room that the orc was guarding, detecting for evil along the way.

Tyndmyr
2010-01-07, 10:41 PM
Inside the small 10ft by 10ft room, you find a crude, wooden chest the orc was apparently guarding.

No sign of evil, other than the lingering aura on the orc's body...until you get into the center of the orc's room. Then, you get a hint of evil on the other side of the wall. The wall appears to be quite solid at this point, though.

Chemus
2010-01-07, 10:47 PM
Sheen tries to see if the chest is locked. If not, he opens its latch, then tries to lift the lid from outside the room. If so, he uses his breath weapon, once, as acid to try to damage the lock/chest enough to open it. [roll0] Acid damage to the lock/chest, no hardness, full damage to objects. he may use it again in [roll1] rounds.

If the lock/chest is intact after the attack, he hits the lock with his heavy flail afterwards, hitting AC [roll2] for [roll3] bludgeoning damage.

Then he opens the chest from outside if he can...

Tyndmyr
2010-01-07, 10:50 PM
Completely unlocked, and while he can't open it from outside the room, he can manage to open it, and discover that it is untrapped and containing 200 silver pieces.

Chemus
2010-01-07, 10:55 PM
Sheen empties he chest into the orc's former sack.

Sheen exits the room, and prods the floor at J4, then J5, detecting for evil to both the north and south.

Tyndmyr
2010-01-07, 11:05 PM
Nothing detected via either means of investigation.

Chemus
2010-01-07, 11:10 PM
Sheen returns to the Zobold room, checking for evil there, and along the way. Once there, he checks it for treasure, and then for doors (Search DC [roll0]), that done, he returns to the door south of the Zobold's chamber and uses detect evil, then opens the south door.

Tyndmyr
2010-01-07, 11:24 PM
The zobolds have a faint aura of evil...probably what you detected from the orc's room.

In the SW corner, before opening the door, you can definitely detect something or someone evil on the other side.

In the center of a 15ft square dark room, an lone kobold is standing, wearing nothing but a floppy cloth hat, which bears the word "Sorrc" on it. You also note another wooden door in the center of the east wall.

Chemus
2010-01-07, 11:32 PM
Sheen moves to grapple the kobold, dropping his glaive in the square before the kobold. If it's armed, he takes an AoO for the touch attack [roll0] to grab the kobold (unless the spiked gauntlets help here...). His grapple check to hold the kobold is [roll1]. If he beats the kobold's opposed grapple check he deals [roll2] nonlethal damage.

If an initiative roll is required, it's [roll3].

Tyndmyr
2010-01-07, 11:35 PM
Grapple check: [roll0]

Init, if it turns out to matter: [roll1]

nah, you knock him out instantly.

+300 xp. Whatcha doin' with the unconscious kobold in your arms?

Chemus
2010-01-07, 11:43 PM
(Seeing as neither Sheen nor the kobold have ever had humanlike organs... I mean... heh heh :smallredface:)

Sheen places the kobold in the NW corner of the room, and detects for evil in a circle.

Tyndmyr
2010-01-07, 11:49 PM
Definitely an evil kobold there. Rest of the room seems good. Looks like some evil to the east, beyond that door.

Incidentally, are you looting the kobold? I only assume looting for dead bodies when there's no combat going on, otherwise I generally wait for it to be declared.

Chemus
2010-01-07, 11:55 PM
Aha. Well, yes, Sheen loots the kobold. If it was wearing anything but the hat, he ties it up with its clothes. (Are non-paladinly deeds ignored, as in the arena? If so, leave no enemy un-stoned...)

Sheen concentrates for number and direction of sources, then if there's but one source, opens the east door.

Tyndmyr
2010-01-08, 12:00 AM
Unless it violates a RAW prohibition, alignment is pretty well ignored. I mean, you can punch him so far into the negatives random encounters will eat him alive before he awakes if you like, with no impact on alignment whatsoever.

Loot: One(1) floppy hat. Oddly enough, no...no other clothes. And as the random loot dice would have it, no other loot either.

Two sources inside, faint, one each a bit to the right and to the left.

Chemus
2010-01-08, 12:11 AM
(For silliness) Sheen appraises the floppy hat making DC [roll0].

(As for loot, am I supposed to roll for it, on the forum roll I assumed, as per your OP, or did you change that convention to remove confusion?)

Sheen opens the east door and breathes a line of acid at the lefthand source of evil for [roll1], DC 14 reflex save for half, if it's within 5'. He can breathe again in [roll2] rounds. If not a surprise round, then he also adjusts 5' west.

Initiative [roll3]

Chemus
2010-01-14, 12:45 PM
I'd like to slightly alter Sheen's actions on opening the door.

Assuming that they haven't noticed him, he breathes a 5' line of acid at any creature that is within 5', rather than focusing only on lefthanded ones (:smallwink:). All else the same...

Tyndmyr
2010-01-16, 09:36 PM
You enter a 15ft by 15ft room, with two Orcs inside(S5, Q6). There is a door on the far side.

The closest one has a 5ft gap between you, and the furthest one has a 10ft gap. They heard you dealing with the kobold sorc, so no surprise.

Init, closest to furthest:
[roll0]
[roll1]

The floppy hat appears to be of no particular value. As for loot, it is (almost entirely) random...Ive just been rolling it to cut down on the clutter.

Chemus
2010-01-17, 05:05 AM
Alright, Sheen attacks the nearest orc, hitting AC [roll0] for [roll]1d10+6[roll]. (Crit. confirmation, if pertinent: [roll1] for [roll]1d10+6[roll])

If that drops the orc, ...even if it doesn't, he moves north 5' and west 5'.

Chemus
2010-01-17, 05:06 AM
for the damage roll I messed up: [roll0]

Tyndmyr
2010-01-17, 10:51 AM
Just enough. You drop him swiftly, then move NW to deny the other orc a charge.

The orc there takes a wack at you with his falchion.

Chemus
2010-01-17, 12:29 PM
(I presumed that NW of the doorway was in the west room, forcing the orc to come to Sheen, or wait for him to come back...) Since the orc is next to him, Sheen swings with his spiked gauntlet, power attacking for 1, hitting AC [roll0] for [roll1]. He then adjusts 5' south, still adjacent to the orc.

Tyndmyr
2010-01-17, 12:45 PM
You're correct, I should have done that. Muddled up NE and NW. No matter though, as either way, you hit, and slaughter the orc.

+300 XP, 600 SP found, along with a bloodstone worth 60Gp as you no doubt search the bodies.

Chemus
2010-01-17, 05:53 PM
Ding! Sheen now has 21 HP (13+7=21), but with the previous damage taken, he's at 16 HP. Sheen takes the 2nd warforged paladin level (RoE 130-133) gaining Con to Will (rather than cha to all saves), and Con x Level LOH, rather than Cha x Lvl (Only usable to heal constructs, as well as healing living creatures at 1/2, not usable vs. undead) Fort & BAB increase by 1.

Edit: Sheen gathers the loot, puts it in the sack, and then pokes the floor 10' ahead of himself, testing for traps. He also 'radar's' for evil, and then opens the east door.

Tyndmyr
2010-01-17, 08:16 PM
Before you open the door, you note that your evildar pings three hits from the next room...or the next 15 feet, anyway.

Edit: Oh yeah, no traps found in this room/door.

Chemus
2010-01-17, 11:07 PM
(Is Sheen able to use his LOH yet, or must he rest 8hrs first?

If he may use it, it's half gone already down to 3 pts left, as he uses a standard action to heal for 4 5.)

In either case, he's pretty sure that the dudes on the other side heard him beat the two orcs to death.

Sheen opens the east door, hoping that the evildoers on the other side are surprised. (Initiative [roll0])

Tyndmyr
2010-01-24, 10:45 AM
Unfortunately, all daily abilities granted on level up are only charged after 8hrs of rest.

Thanks to rolling a maximum of a 2 on listen checks, they somehow did not hear the slaughter. Go figure.

Looking inside room P7, you see a grand hall with high, arched ceilings. It's twenty by twenty feet in size, but the ceiling appears to be a solid forty feet high, and decorated with dwarfish stonecarvings. Unfortunately, the room also appears to have four orcs relaxing in the center(Q8, Q9, R8, R9). All are carrying falchions, but the furthest one(R9) appears to have a torch crudely fastened to the haft of his falchion, casting a dim, flickering light over the scene. Two doors are visible in the far wall, one on the north side, one on the south.

You have surprise.

Chemus
2010-01-24, 02:44 PM
Sheen charges the orc at Q8, hitting AC [roll0] for [roll1]. His AC is 19 until his next turn on Init 5.

Tyndmyr
2010-02-02, 10:09 PM
Init 5 eh? Ouch.

Init for the three surviving orcs, after seeing you splatter their comrade about the room gruesomely...

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Tyndmyr
2010-02-02, 10:11 PM
As all of them go before you, and all of them can reach you with only a five foot adjust, they'll do that.

Falchion: [roll2]
Dmg:[roll3]

Falchion: [roll4]
Dmg:[roll5]

Tyndmyr
2010-02-02, 10:15 PM
Confirming crit on the last swing:

Falchion Confirm: [roll0]
Addtl Dmg if Confirmed:[roll1]

Chemus
2010-02-02, 10:16 PM
Sheen is wielding a glaive, and he charged, making it so that he had to be 10' from the one he splattered, how can all 3 make only a 5' adjust? You sure there's no AoO? (If there is, Sheen hits AC [roll0] for [roll]1d10+4[roll])

...and that third orc gets to try to crit. [roll1]: 25 or less avoids the crit, if it happens.

If no crit, sheen is down to 9 HP; 16-(9-2).

Chemus
2010-02-02, 10:18 PM
Botched damage roll: [roll0]

Demons_eye
2010-02-13, 11:34 PM
Do you have room to charge? If you just opened the door (Q6, where you are) the orc would be 10 feet away so no room for charge. Regardless:

The Orc see's his comrade spliced open by your might weapon roars with anger and charges at you, only to meet your blade impaling him to the hilt.

The other two learn from the others mistake and step over the their comrades bodies throwing their sharp javelins at you.

Remaining orc #1
[roll0] Ranged Attack
[roll1] Damage

Remaining orc #2
[roll2] Ranged Attack
[roll3] Damage

Chemus
2010-02-15, 09:36 PM
You're right that I couldn't charge, so I had no extra bonus to hit, but it still hits the orc's AC.

Those attacks miss, but Sheen's at 2 HP due to the Crit. (I assume that they 5' step away...)

Sheen adjusts 5' toward #2, and attacks, hitting AC [roll0] for [roll1] damage.

Demons_eye
2010-02-15, 09:47 PM
The orc side steps your blow and 5'ft to meet you while the other moves to flank. AoO from orc number two will still roll his attack tho I think you will kill him.

Orc1
[roll0]
[roll1]

Orc2
[roll2]
[roll3]

Chemus
2010-02-16, 03:26 AM
Sheen's AoO: [roll0] for [roll1]

Sheen adjusts 5' back, and attacks #2 again [roll2] for [roll3], unless he's down in which case that's for #1.

Demons_eye
2010-02-16, 06:31 PM
You drop the last two and besides there armor and weapons you find 752 silver coins and a medium masterwork longsword.

Chemus
2010-02-16, 09:42 PM
oo-rah. MW weapon! ...XP?

Sheen considers his predicament, then detects for evil on the other side of the door to the east.

Demons_eye
2010-02-17, 03:19 PM
Sigh... I all was forget Exp. The 4 orcs are worth 900 exp.

Chemus
2010-02-17, 10:38 PM
If Sheen detects no evil to the east, or in any other direction, he moves into the room to he west that he just left, and begins the eight hour process to repair himself. Taking 10, he gets a 19 for 4 points of 'healing'. This presumes that there are no interruptions, but a crafting process is not lost due to interruptions; he still has to go through all 8 hours though. If that resets his 'day' then he also uses his lay on hands to repair himself further...