PDA

View Full Version : Shifter House Rules?

Jastermereel
2010-01-01, 04:39 AM
A player in my group is currently a Saurian Shifter (a Dragon Magazine variant of the race), but we're having some trouble with the mechanics. The rules make sense, but the number of feats that can be usefully taken at any time are very low, but most of her racial bonuses depend on taking more and more of them. We went through a round of leveling tonight and it was hard finding feat choices that didn't feel like flavor-boosted versions of Skill Focus or Dodge.

Consequently, I was thinking of house-ruling that anytime the number of Shifter Feats is used for something (# of shifts daily, bonuses based on shifter feat counts, shifter feat prerequisites) that we'd treat it as Shifter Feats + 1/2 the number of Regular Feats. That is, at level 3 (with a flaw) she'll have 3 feats, one of which would be a shifter feat and two which are not. So she'd have the equivalent of two shifter feats, giving her an extra daily shift, and letting her qualify for later feats requiring two shifter feats.

Is this a reasonable modification to the limiting feat-cult of Shifters, does it need tweaking (1/3 rather than 1/2 the number of other feats) or is it a bad idea all together?

zagan
2010-01-01, 05:41 AM
Yes, this seem reasonable.

Still while not all shifter feat are great a number of them are reasonably good. What's his shifter trait ?

Jastermereel
2010-01-01, 05:45 AM
Yes, this seem reasonable.

Still while not all shifter feat are great a number of them are reasonably good. What's his shifter trait ?

A number are, but mostly higher ones (Prereqs of two shifter feats and/or BAB +6). As she's a saurian shifter she does have an edge as the magazine has a contradiction granting either one or two traits with the Q&A thread here suggesting I use the two trait text as definitive for it. If I remember right, she has a running trait and a jumping trait (don't have her sheet in front of me). For a low-level one, I think she's using either Shifter Acrobatics or Shifter Stealth, but without the house rule those'll be pretty weak. Also, just for reference, she's playing a rogue.

zagan
2010-01-01, 05:53 AM
I would have though that a rogue would have take a trait granting a natural weapon for more chance to deliver sneak attack.

As I said the houserulle seem reasonable and that let her take other sort of feat for more versatily.