PDA

View Full Version : Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XII

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Roland St. Jude
2010-01-01, 10:11 AM
(This is a fairly high procedure thread; please read the entire instructions carefully before posting. Thanks.)

Ever have a simple, straight-forward rules question that you can’t figure out the answer to? Ask it here. No question is too simple. No more worrying about whether your question is “worth” starting a thread. Ask here and receive an answer. You are, of course, welcome to start a thread for your question, and if you think your question is subject to many interpretations or will start a debate, you are encouraged to start a new thread for it.

This thread will serve as a catch-all for simple, discreet questions that can be answered quickly according to the RAW (Rules As Written). This thread is for all simple RAW questions about D&D 3.5.

If your question is about D&D 4e or some other system, ask here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6837321)
If your question is about real world weapons and armor ask it here (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=gaming;action=display;num=1149238581 ;start=0#0).
If your question is about homebrew rulings start a thread here (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=homebrew).
If you are looking for the meaning of an acronym or abbreviation look here (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=gaming;action=display;num=1121064702 ;start=0#0).

The Procedure:

Do:
Label your questions with bold Q#s.
Label your answers with the bold Q# that you are responding to and/or quote the question.
Be sure that your answer is correct before you post it; if you are the least bit uncertain, just let it pass and get the next one.
Try to give your answers in as clear and straightforward terms as possible.
Feel free to quote or link to relevant rules in the SRD, Errata, or FAQ that supports your answer. (You may want to give your answer and then modify it to add support – otherwise someone else may answer while you’re assembling yours.)
Specify if your question is for a system other than D&D (the default for this thread).

Don’t:
Ask Homebrew rules questions here.
Ask trick questions or attempt to “stump the panel,” so to speak.
Answer a question that’s already been answered.
Offer contradictions, clarifications, exceptions, or extensions of prior answers unless, in your opinion, the answer give is plainly and completely wrong.
Post to debate the answers given.
Post to carry on other conversations whether tangentially related or wholly unrelated.

Dispute Resolution Procedure:
If you dispute someone’s answer – meaning that they got it wrong in a critical fashion – post your answer and suggest that the original questioner start a thread to discuss it further if they want it hashed out.
If someone disputes your answer, don’t respond. Just wait to see if the original questioner starts a new thread to discuss it.
If your question leads to a disputed answer, start a new thread if you’d like it discussed further.

Here are some sample questions. “Bad” questions just mean they should be asked in their own thread where you can get many answers and opinions. “Good” questions just mean that these are the types of questions that are amenable to a quick straightforward answer (probably).

Sample “Bad” Questions:
How do I play D&D? (Great question, but not for this thread.)
What is a good 10 level TWF build? (Far too broad and requires much opinion)
What +2 LA race should I take for my sorcerer build? (Again, an opinion question)
Which is better GURPS or D&D?

Sample “Good” Questions:
Q.1. Are there any Large +0 LA races?
Q.2. As a sorcerer/rogue, do I get to add sneak attack damage to my attack spells?
Q.3. What effect would Dispel Magic have on a golem or similar construct?
Q.4. Is there a feat that allows me to get a familiar?

{The first several versions of this thread seemed to run pretty efficiently, but if you have any comments about how this thread could be improved please PM me.}

Please start over with the numbering. Thanks.

Totally Guy
2010-01-01, 10:31 AM
Perfect Timing...

Q.1

Does a Bard have proficiency with medium armour? Here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/bard.htm) doesn't mention it. But here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#armorProficiencyMedium) says they already have it.

Pharaoh's Fist
2010-01-01, 10:33 AM
A:

No, they don't.

Soranar
2010-01-01, 11:40 AM
Q # 2 are there any good races with at least 3 natural attacks outside of kobolds?

GoatBoy
2010-01-01, 11:45 AM
Q.3
Is a character with both hands full able to use Stilled arcane spells if they have a material component?

Q.4
Does Warforged 25% Fortification stack or overlap with Fortification from armor?

Pharaoh's Fist
2010-01-01, 12:04 PM
A.3
Yes they are.

Curmudgeon
2010-01-01, 01:16 PM
A 4

It overlaps, so you get the better of the two. This is an example of the Same Effect More than Once in Different Strengths stacking limitation.

Altair_the_Vexed
2010-01-01, 01:18 PM
Q5: When using a reach weapon, can you take attacks of opportunity against adjacent foes if you have spiked armour or Improved Unarmed Attack?

Claudius Maximus
2010-01-01, 01:20 PM
A 5

Yes, you can, but only with the weapon with which you threaten the adjacent squares.

Soranar
2010-01-01, 01:21 PM
A.5

unless your reach weapon is wielded in 1 hand, no you can't

correction (as pointed out below) you can threaten with other bodyparts than your hands

Claudius Maximus
2010-01-01, 01:24 PM
A.5

unless your reach weapon is wielded in 1 hand, no you can't

A 5 Correction

An Unarmed Strike can be made with any part of the body. You could kick someone, for example, while using a two-handed weapon.

GoatBoy
2010-01-01, 01:25 PM
Thanks for the answers!

Q6
Does the feat Nymph's Kiss grant 3 extra skill points if taken at first level?

Nymph’s Kiss (Exalted)
1. +2 bonus on all Charisma-based skill checks.
2. +1 bonus on saving throws against spells & spell-like abilities.
3. +1 skill point per level, starting at this level.

Q7
Does shield bonus to AC count for one's flat-footed AC? I think the rules imply that it does, but it seems so unfeasible that I feel the need to ask.

Soranar
2010-01-01, 01:26 PM
A.6

treat it the same as the human's ability to give extra skillpoints

Claudius Maximus
2010-01-01, 01:44 PM
A 6

No. Humans specifically get 4 extra skill points at first level. Nymph's Kiss gives one skill point per level, with no exception given for first level.

A 7

Yes. A flat-footed character loses his dex bonus to AC, and anything else that is lost as a consequence of that (such as many dodge bonuses). Shield bonuses are not lost as a consequence of losing Dex to AC, and thus are unaffected by the character being flat-footed.

Soranar
2010-01-01, 01:52 PM
A.6

thats weird, I saw a ruling that claimed you didn't get your human bonus at first level (only 1 and not 4)

sorry for the confusion

Coidzor
2010-01-01, 01:58 PM
Q8: Can a weapon that is not wielded in a hand (for example, an elbow blade, knee blade, boot blade) count as an offhand weapon for dualwielding purposes or can they only be used for primary attacks due to not being hand-wielded weaponry?

KillianHawkeye
2010-01-01, 03:21 PM
A 8

Being an "off-hand weapon" has nothing to do with wielding a weapon in your hand. Any time you attack with two or more weapons, you choose any one weapon to be your primary weapon, and all the rest are off-hand regardless of the manner in which you wield them.

akma
2010-01-01, 05:49 PM
Q9
Is there any creature who isn`t undead that got a turn resistence? I know that with certain domains you could turn creatures who aren`t undead, and I just wondered if someone bothered to create a creature who isn`t undead that has a turn resistance.

jokey665
2010-01-01, 06:25 PM
Q10
Do any of the 3.X issues of Dragon (or Dungeon...? lol I dunno what dungeon even has in it) have epic-related content in them? Mostly looking for [Epic] feats, but anything works.

Overshee
2010-01-01, 07:20 PM
[reposted from p51 of the XI thread]

Q11
If you have the ability to full attack after a charge (ex. through pounce), can you still use the effects of spring attack (movement before and after attack)?

Q12
How do gauntlets affect unarmed damage, and how do they effect monk unarmed damage?

Q13
How do you determine the cost for a spell to be cast on you and then permanancied?

The Dark Fiddler
2010-01-01, 07:27 PM
A12
Gauntlets, as a weapon, have their damage replaces Unarmed Damage.

ex cathedra
2010-01-01, 07:49 PM
A13

Use this table (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#spellcastingAndServices) to determine the cost of the first spell. Then, use the same table to determine the cost of Permancy (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/permanency.htm). Use Permancy's description (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/permanency.htm) to find the XP cost for the first spell, and add 5 times that XP cost to the gold required for the permancy casting.

For example, it would cost CL*10gp for someone to cast Enlarge Person (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/enlargePerson.htm) on you. Permancy has a two-round casting time, which means that a minimum CL of 3 or 4 would be required if you're buying this from one caster. I would suggest choosing a decent caster level so that you won't always be dispelled. Then, you would pay someone 450gp (CL9*50 for Permancy (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/permanency.htm)) + 2500gp (500xp*5, as per the XP-to-GP rules listed in Spellcasting Services) for the Permancy (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/permanency.htm) casting.

Curmudgeon
2010-01-01, 09:07 PM
A 9

I don't think so. I've looked in all the likely places and found only undead with turn resistance. There's some overlap, though. The Gravecrawler (Monster Manual II, pages 118-119) is an Undead with the earth subtype and turn resistance +6. This will benefit the Gravecrawler against both turn undead attempts and the turn earth creature attempts that a Cleric with the Air domain (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spellLists/clericDomains.htm#airDomain) gets.

Curmudgeon
2010-01-01, 09:13 PM
A 10

It appears not. The DragonDex Index of Feats and Flaws (http://www.aeolia.net/dragondex/feats.html) looks pretty comprehensive, and there's nothing listed as Epic in all of it.

Douglas
2010-01-01, 09:15 PM
A10

You want Dragon #297. The whole thing is focused on epic, with epic feats, epic PrCs, epic NPCs, epic spells, epic monsters, an epic adventure, an associated epic organization and artifacts, and so on.

A11

No. A Spring Attack is not a charge. Unless you have an ability that specifically states otherwise, you cannot both Spring Attack and charge at the same time.

jokey665
2010-01-01, 09:17 PM
A 10

It appears not. The DragonDex Index of Feats and Flaws (http://www.aeolia.net/dragondex/feats.html) looks pretty comprehensive, and there's nothing listed as Epic in all of it.

Yeah I ctrl-f'd that page first, but the reason I even bothered to ask is that a few of the feats listed there are [Epic] (notably the ones from #297 like "Battle Dance", as my finding of those led me to search for more in the first place...).

EDIT:

A10

You want Dragon #297. The whole thing is focused on epic, with epic feats, epic PrCs, epic NPCs, epic spells, epic monsters, an epic adventure, an associated epic organization and artifacts, and so on.

Yeah I found that one... is it the only one with epic things, then?

Curmudgeon
2010-01-01, 09:18 PM
A 11 No.

There's no connection between a charge and Spring Attack, because they have incompatible action types. A charge is a special full-round action. Spring Attack includes an attack that takes place in the middle of a normal move action. There are techniques that could allow a full attack in both cases (Pounce for the charge attack; a Belt of Battle for a full attack with Spring Attack), but there's still no way these two actions could be combined.

Temotei
2010-01-01, 09:35 PM
A 2

Lizardfolk -- LA +1, 2 Humanoid (reptilian) hit dice -- 2 claws and 1 bite
Kenku (MM3) -- LA +0 -- 2 claws
Warforged Charger (MM3) -- LA +4, 4 Construct hit dice -- 2 adamantine slams
Dragonkin (Dcn) -- LA +2, 7 Monstrous Humanoid hit dice -- 2 claws, and if making full round attack while flying, 2 rear claws in addition
T'kel (DR317) -- LA +0 -- 2 claws
Troglodyte (MM) -- LA +2, 2 Monstrous Humanoid hit dice -- 2 claws and 1 bite
Mind Flayer (MM) -- LA +7, 8 Aberration hit dice -- 2 tentacles
Quaraphon (MM3) -- LA +5, 9 Aberration hit dice -- 2 hooves and 1 bite
Troll (MM) -- LA +5, 6 Giant hit dice -- 2 claws and 1 bite
Rakshasa (MM) -- LA +7, 7 Outsider (native) hit dice -- 2 claws and 1 bite (note that the Naztharune (MM3) -- LA +5, 11 Outsider (native) hit dice -- have only 2 claws)
Windrazor (MM4) -- LA +2, 2 Outsider hit dice -- 2 claws and 1 bite
Windscythe (MM4) -- LA +5, 8 Outsider hit dice -- 2 claws and 1 bite
Bozak (DR315) -- LA +3, 4 Dragon hit dice -- 2 claws and 1 bite
Dracotaur (MM3) -- LA +5, 3 Dragon hit dice -- 1 tail slap and 1 bite

That's all I could find. Some of them only have two attacks, and some have subraces. Most of them have crippling level adjustments and hit dice, but there they are. You already mentioned the kobold, so that's not included. There are quite a few subraces of kobold as well, but they all have the same natural attacks.

Ossian
2010-01-02, 10:03 AM
Q. 14

When a character has both Rogue and Assassin levels, do the the levels of Rogue stack with the levels of Assassin for the purpose of determining the Fort. DC for the Assassin´s Death Attack SA?

Many Thanks,

O.

ex cathedra
2010-01-02, 10:15 AM
A. 14

No. While the damage dice granted by the assassin levels stack with those from your rogue levels, the assassin's death attack is based solely on assassin levels. There are various other obscure ways to increase it, but the basic ability is DC10+Int Mod+your Assassin level. Rogue levels contribute nothing to that DC.

Optimystik
2010-01-02, 10:36 AM
Q. 15

Am I correct in assuming that a Spellthief//Warlock gestalt build could combine his Eldritch Blast, Sneak Attack and Steal Spell abilities? That is, could I sneak attack with my EB and forego extra damage dice to take spells from my target?

Malsheem
2010-01-02, 10:37 AM
Q. 16

When a monster has grabbed an opponent, with improved grab or snatch for instance, what kind of actions can they take in the following rounds? Are they considered grappled along with all of the consequences of grappling? Can hey still make a full attack? If so do they have to target the enemy they have grappled? I ask this because the idea of a gargantuan dragon being unable to move or attack an opponent other than the one he has trapped in his claw seems unrealistic.

I hope this wasn't too complicated of a question for this thread, but I would love to have a straight forward answer to this

Ernir
2010-01-02, 10:46 AM
A.15

Yes, you are right.

A.16

A monster that has used Improved Grab has the option of making itself not considered grappled by taking a -20 penalty on its grapple checks. If it does not do that, the grapple is performed as usual.

Soranar
2010-01-02, 12:50 PM
Q.17

concerning the heavy armor optimization feat (and greater version)

can you use it with a mithral full plate considering it's classed as a medium armor?

Temotei
2010-01-02, 02:58 PM
A 17

Most mithral armors are one category lighter than normal for purposes of movement and other limitations.

When you are wearing heavy armor...

I would say that it's still considered heavy armor for the purposes of the feat, since under mithral it specifically states that armor is one category lighter than normal for purposes of movement and other limitations.

EDIT: Not to mention that it says "most" armors.

Kobold-Bard
2010-01-02, 05:23 PM
Asked in the last thread, but AFAIK it was never answered. Apologies if it was.

Q18
Do Soulmelds affect Vow of Poverty?

Specifically Incarnate weapon, which resembles (and has the stats of) a Martial Weapon despite not requiring proficiency to use it properly.

Douglas
2010-01-02, 05:34 PM
A18

No. They are not material possessions that can be bought and sold for money.

Bonecrusher Doc
2010-01-03, 07:54 AM
Q19

If I understand correctly, the trident is the only one-handed weapon that can be set against a charge. And as far as I can tell, it can be set against a charge one-handed... so you could still have some other weapon in the other hand. Has anyone come across anything to the contrary of either of these statements?

Mauril Everleaf
2010-01-03, 04:23 PM
A 19 Nothing I know of contradicts that. It is a one-handed brace weapon, and nothing in the text of brace states needing both hands or not letting you use a second weapon.

Temotei
2010-01-03, 04:31 PM
Q 20

I've been confused. In another thread, someone was talking about full attacks when they mentioned they would attack with their held weapon and their natural weapon. It makes sense if you have a high BAB, but I saw that they included the natural weapon's attack as an extra attack, like with flurry of blows.

Could someone clarify? Does a natural weapon give you another attack in a full attack, or is it just another means of attacking?

Thurbane
2010-01-03, 05:41 PM
A 20

You can generally attack with a natural weapon(s) in addition to using a manufactured weapon in a full attack, unless the weapon is held in your hands and your natural attack is with claws or similar. For instance, a Lizardfolk could attack with a greatclub at it's full normal attack bonus (including iteratives if it's BAB is +6 or higher), and also attack with it's bite at the normal penalty for a secondary natural attack (-5, or -2 if it has the Multiattack feat).
If it were using a one handed weapon (like a morning star) it could attack with the morning star at full normal bonuses, and with a bite and 1 claw, both at -5 (or -2 with Multiattack).
If it were using a weapon that left both hands free, say armor spikes, it could get a full normal attack with the armor spikes, plus a bite and 2 claws (all at -5, or -2 for Multiattack).
Note that secondary natural weapons only get 1/2x STR bonus to damage.

powerdemon
2010-01-03, 10:53 PM
Q 21
Is there any feat or special ability or wepon/armor enchantment that allows full strength bonus for secondary attacks?

AngelisBlack
2010-01-03, 11:53 PM
Q 21
Is there any feat or special ability or wepon/armor enchantment that allows full strength bonus for secondary attacks?
A 21
There's the smashing tail draconic graft. In a full attack I believe its used as a secondary attack but the damage does 1.5xstr bonus.

Douglas
2010-01-04, 12:03 AM
A21

The Bloodclaw Master PrC from Tome of Battle does it for Tiger Claw associated weapons. The Revenant Blade PrC from Player's Guide to Eberron does one better and lets you treat both ends of a double scimitar as being wielded two-handed - strength-and-a-half to damage, and double power attack bonus, on each end.

I am not aware of any WotC 3.5e ability that does it for the general case, though.

powerdemon
2010-01-04, 12:04 AM
A21

The Bloodclaw Master PrC from Tome of Battle does it for Tiger Claw associated weapons. The Revenant Blade PrC from Player's Guide to Eberron does one better and lets you treat both ends of a double scimitar as being wielded two-handed - strength-and-a-half to damage, and double power attack bonus, on each end.

I am not aware of any WotC 3.5e ability that does it for the general case, though.

Alright, well thanks for all that info guys :P.

Eloel
2010-01-04, 01:27 AM
Q22
What ways exist to be healed both my positive and negative energy?

Sstoopidtallkid
2010-01-04, 02:39 AM
Q23

Would the bonus from Augment Healing apply to ability damage healed by Lesser Restoration?

Xzeno
2010-01-04, 02:43 AM
Q24

Is power attack damage multiplied by a crit? Similarly, is it multiplied by charging with a lance from a mount?

Boci
2010-01-04, 02:44 AM
Q22
What ways exist to be healed both my positive and negative energy?

Binding the 5th level vestige Acererak, doable by level 8. Expedition to Castle Ravenloft also had a creature subtype that was healed by both provided they made their save.

Q24

Is power attack damage multiplied by a crit? Similarly, is it multiplied by charging with a lance from a mount?

Both yes because it is static. Sneak attack by contrast and the flaming enhancement are not because they add dice rolls.

Eloel
2010-01-04, 03:39 AM
Q23

Would the bonus from Augment Healing apply to ability damage healed by Lesser Restoration?

Yes, it's still damage healed, and it should apply.

Koury
2010-01-04, 05:48 AM
Q 25

Is/are the Protection from Chaos/Evil/Good/Law spell/s one spell that you choose the version of when you prepare/cast it, or multiple spells you must gain separately?

Also, hooray for slashes.

Corlindale
2010-01-04, 05:58 AM
A 25

I believe they are multiple spells. Note for example that you only gain one of them when a cleric domain grants Protection from X, and that only two of them are on the Paladin spell list.

Optimystik
2010-01-04, 06:17 AM
A 25:

To confirm, they are indeed multiple spells. You can see them all listed clearly here, (http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/spells.htm) both the "Protection from X" group and the "Magic Circle against X" group.

Eloel
2010-01-04, 10:08 AM
Q26
At minimum what level (with minimal cheese), can one get 3-4 save-or-die (or more like, save or be close enough to death ala Feeblemind) abilities per day?
Bonus points if the save is Cha based.

(unlimited at-will save-or-stun also works, can just sit there spamming it)

IthilanorStPete
2010-01-04, 10:16 AM
A 326

Level 1. Just be a Sorceror who knows Sleep or Color Spray.
In all seriousness, that question is too broad for this thread. Make a thread of your own.

Eloel
2010-01-04, 10:29 AM
Q27
Is there a way to swap Stunning Fist DC to Cha?

Koury
2010-01-04, 08:14 PM
Q 28

Regarding Spellcraft to identify spells being cast:

Does the DC change if metamagic is used (Is a Fell Drained Magic Missile DC 16 or 18)?

Does success reveal metamagic was used?

If so, does it revel what metamagic was used?

JaronK
2010-01-04, 08:27 PM
Q24

Yes. Damage multipliers always apply to weapon damage and any non dice source of bonus damage. Since Power Attack is not dice damage, it's multiplied. Likewise, sneak attack dice are not multiplied, but the bonus damage from Craven while sneak attacking is.

JaronK

graeylin
2010-01-04, 08:34 PM
Q 29

Is there an anarchic version of the Axiomatic Creature Spell from the book of exalted deeds?

Axiomatic Creature/ Transmutation/ Level: Cleric 8, sorcerer/wizard 8
This spell transforms the target into an axiomatic creature -- a perfect version of itself.

Claudius Maximus
2010-01-04, 10:42 PM
Q 30

Can a spellthief with more than 1d6 sneak attack sacrifice multiple dice in a single attack to steal more than one spell? Basically, can Steal Spell and other such abilities be applied more than once per attack?

Soranar
2010-01-04, 11:39 PM
A. 30

after rereading the description I would say no:

the Spell Thief may “steal” a Prepared or Spontaneous spell and
then cast it when desired.

the sentence is clearly singular, each theft only applies to 1 spell or ability and using multiple dice merely makes you able to steal higher level spells or abilities

much like you can only steal 1 item at a time, unless said item is a bag containing multiple items

Soranar
2010-01-04, 11:46 PM
A.29

the book of exalted deeds concentrates on Lawful, or Good aligned spells and class abilities

as such there is no perfect anarchic creature, actually an anarchic creature is described as a failure in a different book (forget which)

however,it would be a reasonable homebrew to simply reverse the spell (smite Law instead of Chaos, etc)

I doubt a DM would refuse

Soranar
2010-01-04, 11:50 PM
A. 27

no there is not

the feat Ascetic Mage let's you use your Cha to AC only
Battledancer (similar to monk but Cha based) doesn't use stunning fists and would still be wisdom based if it took the feat

however the feat kung-fu genius let's you use your INT instead for both AC and stunning attacks

otherwise I haven't found any reference to the contrary

Critical
2010-01-05, 12:06 AM
Q. 31

In which book can you find Subsonics feat?

Koury
2010-01-05, 12:15 AM
A. 31

Complete Adventurer Pg 112 I believe.

Zavrith
2010-01-05, 12:48 AM
Q. 32

For the Dragon Disciple prestige class, if I am a race with no natural armor bonus, do I get the increased natural armor bonus?

This provides an increase to the character's existing natural armor (if any)

In other words, would a human Dragon Disciple get natural armor for this prestige class, or would it only apply to creatures that already HAD a natural armor bonus?

Thurbane
2010-01-05, 01:28 AM
A 32

Yes, all creatures without a listed natural AC are considered to have "natural armor +0".

Human Paragon 3
2010-01-05, 02:19 AM
Q33

Are factotums considered to have all the wizard spells on their spell list for activating wands and scrolls? Or do they need to make UMD checks?

Thurbane
2010-01-05, 02:32 AM
A 33

Arcane Dilettante allows a Factotum to mimic spells as SLAs, so they do not have the spells "on their list" as such. They would need UMD checks for spell trigger and spell activation items.

Koury
2010-01-05, 02:40 AM
Q 34

What is the answer to question 28?

Q 28

Regarding Spellcraft to identify spells being cast:

Does the DC change if metamagic is used (Is a Fell Drained Magic Missile DC 16 or 18)?

Does success reveal metamagic was used?

If so, does it revel what metamagic was used?

Kosjsjach
2010-01-05, 05:02 AM
Oh yeah, Factotums...

Q 35
Is there a reason a Factotum could not use its SLAs from Arcane Dilettante to craft magic traps with Craft Wondrous Item? (They're allowed to take the feat, thanks to the granted Caster Level.)

Boci
2010-01-05, 05:48 AM
A 35
No it is perfectly legal

Fitz10019
2010-01-05, 05:57 AM
Q36

A lance does 1d6 damage (crit 20,x3), but 2d6 damage on a charge. What damage does one do when critting on a charge with a lance? I think there's a 'multiple multiplier' rule, and I'd like to know where to find it.

Duke of URL
2010-01-05, 06:14 AM
A 36

The description for lance (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm#lance) actually says:

A lance deals double damage when used from the back of a charging mount.

The subsection on multiplying (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/theBasics.htm#multiplying) (in the "Basics" section) says:

Sometimes a rule makes you multiply a number or a die roll. As long as you’re applying a single multiplier, multiply the number normally. When two or more multipliers apply to any abstract value (such as a modifier or a die roll), however, combine them into a single multiple, with each extra multiple adding 1 less than its value to the first multiple. Thus, a double (×2) and a double (×2) applied to the same number results in a triple (×3, because 2 + 1 = 3).

Therefore, a conformed critical hit with a lance used from the back of a charging mount is a triple plus a double, which is actually x4 when added together. WotC math made easy. :smallwink:

Duke of URL
2010-01-05, 06:21 AM
A. 28 (A. 34)

No, the DC does not change. The description for metamgaic feats (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#metamagicFeats) says:

In all ways, a metamagic spell operates at its original spell level, even though it is prepared and cast as a higher-level spell.

Since the spellcraft skill description merely says "Identify a spell being cast", RAW suggests that you would only be able to use the skill to determine what spell was being cast, not how it was altered by metamagic. Once the spell is identified, however, using logic based on the effects of the spell (or how the spell was cast) may allow you to guess what metamagics, if any, were added to it.

Killer Angel
2010-01-05, 07:20 AM
Q 37

Magic missile Vs Mirror Image. It works?
Only a successful attack against an image destroys it, and the images have a AC; does a magic missile count for "successful attack"?
You simply select a target (the image) but you don't do any attack roll...or mm is considered an auto successfull attack roll?

Duke of URL
2010-01-05, 07:50 AM
A. 37

Missiles from a magic missile always hit their target (if in range), subject to spell resistance, yada, yada, yada.

As such, a magic missile directed at a mirror image duplicate would destroy it as would any successful attack.

Koury
2010-01-05, 08:03 AM
Q 38

Can you apply shield, or a similar effect, to your images? Blink, etc? Do they benefit from them?

Killer Angel
2010-01-05, 08:04 AM
A. 28 (A. 34)

No, the DC does not change. Description for metamgaic feats (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#metamagicFeats)

A 28 (A 34)

Exception: Heighten Spell.
A heightened spell has a higher spell level than normal (up to a maximum of 9th level). Unlike other metamagic feats, Heighten Spell actually increases the effective level of the spell that it modifies

Specific trumps general

Duke of URL
2010-01-05, 08:26 AM
A. 38

A shield is personal, and cannot be applied to mirror image duplicates.

As for blink, et. al., the description for mirror image states:

The figments mimic your actions, pretending to cast spells when you cast a spell, drink potions when you drink a potion, levitate when you levitate, and so on.

Since the duplicate copies you visually, spells that affect your visibility, such as blink should work. Since magic missile is a force effect that can work on ethereal targets, mirror images working under a blink effect should confer a 20% miss chance to magic missile attacks.

Thames
2010-01-05, 08:37 AM
Q39.

How much information does a listen check give you about an invisible creature? (Presence of it, general direction or certain squares?)

Q39.b

What page are the relevant rules on?

Duke of URL
2010-01-05, 08:51 AM
A. 39

Under Special Abilities, the entry for Invisibility (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#invisibility) says:

A creature can use hearing to find an invisible creature. A character can make a Listen check for this purpose as a free action each round. A Listen check result at least equal to the invisible creature’s Move Silently check result reveals its presence. (A creature with no ranks in Move Silently makes a Move Silently check as a Dexterity check to which an armor check penalty applies.) A successful check lets a character hear an invisible creature “over there somewhere.” It’s practically impossible to pinpoint the location of an invisible creature. A Listen check that beats the DC by 20 pinpoints the invisible creature’s location.

Malsheem
2010-01-06, 02:47 AM
Q40

Concerning the bane enchantment, do multiple bane enchantments on a weapon stack? For instance, if a weapon had both evil outsider bane and chaotic outsider bane on a it, would its enhancement bonus be increased by 4 and would it gain 4d6 extra damage against demons? Also, can a weapon's enhancement bonus being increased to 6 or higher because it is being used against a creature it has bane against make it an epic weapon for purposes of penetrating damage reduction?

Gnaritas
2010-01-06, 05:09 AM
A40

If the weapon itself is not epic, i do not believe it becomes "epic" against that creature. Though i do not know the official ruling for it.

On the stacking: the bonus to enhancement does not stack, since they are the same, but the extra damage does stack.

Curmudgeon
2010-01-06, 07:23 AM
A 27 correction

however the feat kung-fu genius let's you use your INT instead for both AC and stunning attacks
Kung Fu Genius applies to "all monk special abilities that normally rely on Wisdom". The Monk AC Bonus and Quivering Palm abilities meet this specification. Stunning Fist, a general feat, does not.

Douglas
2010-01-06, 07:23 AM
A40

Technically by RAW the increased enhancement bonus does not stack due to specific wording ("+2 better than its normal enhancement bonus") but the bonus damage dice do.

The definition of "epic" for purposes of penetrating DR is "enhancement bonus +6 or higher". If the +2 from Bane is enough to satisfy that, then the weapon penetrates DR/epic against its specified creature type.

Thurbane
2010-01-06, 08:27 PM
Q 41a

Is there any items (excluding a wand or scroll) that allows a character (specifically, a Sorcerer or Cleric) to use Dispel Magic, either with charges or daily uses? Also, it needs to be 6500gp or less if possible.

Q 41b

If no such item exists, how much would a custom item cost? Assuming CL 5th and 1 use/day, I calculate it at 6000gp (or 12000gp for an unslotted item).

Temotei
2010-01-06, 08:32 PM
A 41a

I'm looking through my books now. I'm sure there's something...maybe a dispelling cord. I remember seeing the item, but not looking at the description.

In the meantime, an abjuration staff (65,000 gp!) has dispel magic as an option. Take off the lesser globe of invulnerability, dismissal, and repulsion, and you probably get a much cheaper item.

The dispelling cord adds +2 to dispel checks 5/day, but the item itself doesn't grant the ability to dispel.

A 41b

I got 6,000 gp as well for the cost.

Boci
2010-01-06, 08:36 PM
A41a

An ethereal wand from Eberron Campeign Setting will let us do so 2 / day, but due to scalling caster level dispell magic is not the best spell to be used from an item.

A 27 correction contested

A 27 correction

Kung Fu Genius applies to "all monk special abilities that normally rely on Wisdom". The Monk AC Bonus and Quivering Palm abilities meet this specification. Stunning Fist, a general feat, does not.

Whilst stunning fist is a general feat, the monk gain it as a class feature and it applies differently to their class than to others (in its number of uses per day).

And the monk's bonus feats are listed under class features.

Edit: Without a firm RAW definition of "special features", Temotei221 is right: there is no point in discussing this further here.

Temotei
2010-01-06, 08:39 PM
A 27 protest contested

Whilst stunning fist is a general feat, the monk gain it as a class feature and it applies differently to their class than to others (in its number of uses per day).

This deserves its own thread. It's a feat, not a class feature. The monk gains it as a bonus feat at 1st level if they choose.

Duke of URL
2010-01-06, 10:04 PM
A. 41. additional

Players Guide to Faerun has a Dispelling property that can be added to a weapon for a flat 6,000 GP cost. It's 1/day, targeted only, but can be used as a free action after the attack is successful. (There's also a "greater" version that uses greater dispel magic 3/day for 79,200 GP.)

Lord of Syntax
2010-01-07, 04:19 PM
Q42:
What is the meaning of life, the universe, and everything?
When are you denied your Dex to AC?

Claudius Maximus
2010-01-07, 04:37 PM
Q 43

Is there anything stopping a Spellthief from using Absorb Spell to continuously absorbing Invisibility spells from a Ring of Invisibility, or similar item that can use a spell at-will?

Temotei
2010-01-07, 04:53 PM
A 42

When you are flat-footed, grappling, helpless, paralyzed, petrified, unconscious, pinned (in a grapple), stunned, blinded, cowering, or dying (unconscious).

The exact quote for it is:
If you can’t react to a blow, you can’t use your Dexterity bonus to AC. (If you don’t have a Dexterity bonus, nothing happens.)

Douglas
2010-01-07, 04:56 PM
A42 correction

Being flanked does not deny dex bonus. It allows sneak attack, but that's because flanking is its own separate criterion for sneak attack.

Twilight Jack
2010-01-07, 08:04 PM
Q. 44

Can the horse conjured by phantom steed take a double move action and/or hustle during overland movement?

Thurbane
2010-01-07, 08:11 PM
Q 45

Can the bonus feats and abilties granted by vestiges as power be used to qualify for Feats and PrCs? If so, when the vestige is not bound, would one lose access to the feat or PrC is question? For instance, a Binder is binding Otiax gains Combat Reflexes feat so long as the vestige is bound. Could he use this to qualify for the Vexing Flanker feat? Also, if the answer is no, how about if the vestige is permanetly bound, as with the Eternal Bondage class feature of the Tenebrous Apostate?

Duke of URL
2010-01-07, 09:28 PM
A. 45

The most literal reading of RAW has no prohibitions against using non-permanent sources to qualify for feats and PrCs. In that case, you would lose the benefits from the feat or PrC at any time when you do not have the prerequisite.

Note that RAW doesn't explicitly permit this, it just doesn't prohibit it. Your mileage with your referee may vary. (Of course, if your ARE the referee...)

Duke of URL
2010-01-07, 09:33 PM
A. 44

RAW is fairly ambiguous here. I'd lean toward the interpretation that since the spell specifies a fixed maximum speed and makes no provision for running or hustling, that the speed listed in the spell cannot be exceeded by run or hustle movement options.

Bagelz
2010-01-07, 11:34 PM
A 43
Absorb spell specifically states "This ability only affects spells that have the spelltheif as their target". A ring of invisibility does not cast the spell invisibility, it grants an effect as per invisibility (and you cannot therefore save from it).

A spell theif may however use Steal Spell Effect, on a target benifiting from a ring of invisibility (I think).

other items such as an ally using "eyes of doom" on you would be able to be absorbed continuously assumming your level+char is greater than the casterlevel to make the item.

Temotei
2010-01-08, 01:07 AM
Q 46

What are the best levels to stop taking factotum? Also, if you could name some multiclass options that work well, that would be swell. :smallamused:

Boci
2010-01-08, 01:22 AM
A 42 Addition
Balancing (with less than 5 ranks in balance) and climbing creatures are also flatfooted.

A 46

The factotum's handbook should have everything you need: http://209.85.135.132/search?q=cache:syQ3PLpUUTsJ:community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19871722/The_Factotum_Handbook+factotum%27s+handbook&cd=1&hl=hu&ct=clnk&gl=hu

Basically, common break points are: 1st, 3rd, 5th, 8th, 11th, 13th, 16th, 18th, 19th

Other classes it can be used with are: the martial adept classes warblade and swordsage, as well as the chameleon PrC. A factotum can also dip into swahsbuckler and duskblade class.

KillianHawkeye
2010-01-08, 02:10 AM
Q 46

What are the best levels to stop taking factotum? Also, if you could name some multiclass options that work well, that would be swell. :smallamused:

Despite Boci's answer, this type of question should be asked in it's own thread as it has nothing whatsoever to do with game rules.

Lord of Syntax
2010-01-08, 02:13 AM
Q47:
What races can get Feline as a automatic or bonus language

Kallisti
2010-01-08, 02:14 AM
A 47: Tibbit is the only official mention of Feline as a language, IIRC.

Koury
2010-01-08, 03:24 AM
Q 48

If I am a wizard with two quickened spells memorized, can I cast them both and then a regular spell by using my swift action on one as normal, my move on the other quickened one and my standard as normal?

Boci
2010-01-08, 03:30 AM
A 48

You cannot exchange a move equivilant action for a swift action.

Koury
2010-01-08, 03:36 AM
Q48 Clarification

I'm not. I'm asking to exchange a swift action for a move.

Boci
2010-01-08, 03:44 AM
A 48
Not by default, although there are ways to do so. Belt of Battle from MiC will allow you to do so 3 times per day.

Curmudgeon
2010-01-08, 03:49 AM
A 47 additional

Catfolk (Races of the Wild, page 92) also have Feline as an automatic language. Cat familiars (see Races of the Dragon, page 141) have "speak with felines", which seems like the same thing. A monstrous cat can communicate with other felines (see Savage Species, page 124).

SethFahad
2010-01-08, 05:25 AM
Q 49

Does Goliath qualify for Warhulk PrC?

Thurbane
2010-01-08, 05:36 AM
A 49

No. Warhulk requires that you actually be large. Goliath only gets certain benefits of being large, but is not actually considered large.

Curmudgeon
2010-01-08, 05:37 AM
A 49 No.

The War Hulk requires Large size or larger. Powerful Buld does not actually increase size.

Gnaritas
2010-01-08, 05:43 AM
A 49

No, the Goliath's Powerful Build specifically mentions when it counts as a large creature. This is not one of them.

Duke of URL
2010-01-08, 07:16 AM
A. 48, additional

Explicitly, no, you may not cast more than 1 quickened spell per round:

Casting a quickened spell is an swift action. You can perform another action, even casting another spell, in the same round as you cast a quickened spell. You may cast only one quickened spell per round.

What makes this interesting is that this text predates means of gaining additional actions within the same round (such as the belt of battle, or White Raven Tactics). By RAW, you may still only cast one quickened spell per round, even if you gain essentially another round's worth of actions within that round.

Koury
2010-01-08, 07:39 AM
Q48, extension

Doesn't that mean, technically, you only get one quicken spell during a Time Stop? Apparent time is not actual time, after all.

Optimystik
2010-01-08, 08:06 AM
Q48, extension

Doesn't that mean, technically, you only get one quicken spell during a Time Stop? Apparent time is not actual time, after all.

A48 extension:

As the apparent time is measured in rounds just as actual time is, the distinction between the two is moot. You get as many quickened spells during a time stop as you do rounds.

Koury
2010-01-08, 08:29 AM
A48 extension:

As the apparent time is measured in rounds just as actual time is, the distinction between the two is moot. You get as many quickened spells during a time stop as you do rounds.

I agree with you, by the way, that that is intent, but don't think that that is (with an EXTREMELY literal reading of the rules involved) RAW.

But that is far enough for this in terms of for this thread.

Thelas
2010-01-08, 11:26 AM
Q. 50
What metamagic feats can reduce effective spell level (for DCs, not the spell slot level)?

Douglas
2010-01-08, 12:03 PM
A50

Reduce? Why would you want to do that?

Sanctum Spell gives -1 effective spell level when outside your sanctum. Other than that, I don't think there is anything. The only way I can think of where anyone would ever want to lower, rather than raise, their spell save DCs would be a cheesed out Shadowcraft Mage who's casting a Shadow spell with greater than 100% reality, and that's such a specific and cheesy build that no feats were made with it in mind.

powerdemon
2010-01-09, 12:05 AM
Q 51

I saw a feat a while back that allows a mediums size character to use a reach weapon (Such as a spear) within 5 feet as well as at 10 feet. What is this feat and where is it found?

Boci
2010-01-09, 02:15 AM
A 51
There is one in the Plyers Handbook II and one in Dragon Magazine. Both can be found on crystalkeep.com.

Temotei
2010-01-09, 02:31 AM
A 51

The feat you're looking for is Short Haft. It's in PHB II (Player's Handbook II...silly Boci).

Q 52

Is a continuous true strike effect item 8,000 gp like I've calculated?

Mauril Everleaf
2010-01-09, 05:11 AM
A 52 No. Since true strike doesn't have a duration measured in rounds, minutes, hours or anything quantifiable on the chart for creating custom magic items, there is no way to properly adjudicate the price based on that.

You can, however, put it in a wand for 750 gold and invest some ranks in UMD (or take a level in an class with true strike on its spell list) for a much less cheesy way to get that +20 to hit.

powerdemon
2010-01-09, 06:40 AM
A 52 No. Since true strike doesn't have a duration measured in rounds, minutes, hours or anything quantifiable on the chart for creating custom magic items, there is no way to properly adjudicate the price based on that.

You can, however, put it in a wand for 750 gold and invest some ranks in UMD (or take a level in an class with true strike on its spell list) for a much less cheesy way to get that +20 to hit.

Additional 52

On top of that, the rules state that the formulas are just a guideline and you should ask your DM.

Soranar
2010-01-09, 12:02 PM
A. 52

considering the effect, any weapon with continuous true strike would be an epic level weapon ,

if any DM is crazy enough to allow it

true strike cannot be extended or persisted, there is a reason for that

Errandir
2010-01-09, 12:17 PM
Q.53. Is a skeleton immune to piercing damage? I've heard so, but all it says here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/skeleton.htm) is that they have damage reduction for bludgeoning.

Q.54. If I want to draw a weapon and then use a full attack, do I need the Quick Draw feat? Or is there another way to do it?

MichielHagen
2010-01-09, 12:33 PM
A53

DR 5/Bludgeoning means it has Damage reduction 5 which is OVERCOME by bludgeoning damage...Piercing damage will be 5 less than originally vs a Skeleton.

A54

Yes, have the weapon in your hand at the beginning of your turn.
Another option is the Crystal of ...Return? from MIC.

Kobold-Bard
2010-01-09, 02:15 PM
Q55

Are there any Prestige Classes that a Level 4 Warlock can enter for their 5th Level?

Emmerask
2010-01-09, 03:27 PM
Q 56:
A:
If someone is invisible(using the spell) will detect magic still detect his magic aura(s)?
B:
If he is sneaking is there a malus you get if someone is using detect magic and you are wearing magic items? (sneaking inside the detect magic cone that is)

powerdemon
2010-01-09, 03:39 PM
Q 57

Besides DMG pg 101, is there another place to find info on the cost of buildings and such?

Temotei
2010-01-09, 03:57 PM
A 57

If you have Cityscape, it's likely to be in there, although I couldn't find any specific pages that had it.

Emmerask
2010-01-09, 05:12 PM
A 57 additional

The Stronghold Builder's Guidebook should have some usefull information on that too it is a 3.0 book to my knowledge but is compatible with 3.5

Starbuck_II
2010-01-09, 05:36 PM
A 56
Part A:

Yes, Invisibility is a spell. Detect Magic will detect it. Spellcraft will identify the school as well.

KillianHawkeye
2010-01-09, 05:38 PM
A 56a Yes.

Detect magic will still reveal the magical auras (if any) present on an invisible person, including the aura of the invisibility spell itself. If the invisible person doesn't move, the caster can use detect magic to pinpoint their location in 3 rounds (they still have total concealment, however).

A 56b

Using detect magic grants no specific bonus to a person trying to find a sneaking or hiding character, however it does mean that the caster is alert and paying attention. A hiding character's location (assuming they are carrying magic items) can be pinpointed as above in 3 rounds, but if the caster can't beat the target's Hide check, they'll still have total concealment.

Thurbane
2010-01-09, 07:12 PM
Q 58

Are there any feats, PrCs, items or spells that allow a Wizard to speed up the process of learning and scribing new spells into his book? (8 hours to learn, 24 hours to scribe).

ChakraChanter
2010-01-09, 09:41 PM
Q59

Can you combine Overpowering Attack (Fighter ACF lvl 16) with the Whirlwind attack?

Curmudgeon
2010-01-09, 10:26 PM
A 59 No.

Each of these (the ACF and the feat) requires a full-round action to enable its mechanism, and they have incompatible requirements. Overpowering Attack stipulates that you make only one attack. Whirlwind Attack stipulates that you make an attack at every opponent within reach. Unless there's only one opponent in reach (in which case you'd be better off skipping Whirlwind Attack entirely), these conditions are incompatible.

Runestar
2010-01-09, 10:38 PM
Q59

Can you combine Overpowering Attack (Fighter ACF lvl 16) with the Whirlwind attack?

However, if you had 2 full actions (say via belt of battle), you could first use overpowering attack, then whirlwind attack (which would deal double damage).

But no, each is its own full round action, and cannot be combined.

Temotei
2010-01-09, 11:24 PM
Q 60

Does the fast healing on the evolved template stack if you take the template more than once? I believe it does because it seems to be untyped, but I might be missing something.

Lord of Syntax
2010-01-10, 03:00 AM
Q61:
Would a item of continuous geas with a open ended quest cause it to last forever?

Koury
2010-01-10, 03:19 AM
Q62:

Quick verification that this is within the rules.

2 Flaws allowed. 32 pt buy.

Wizard (Conjuror)//Warblade Fire Elf (+2 Dex/Int; -2 Con/Cha)

Stats:
Str - 8
Dex - 20
Con - 6
Int - 20
Wis - 8
Cha - 6

Feats:
Level 1 - Weapon Finesse
Wizard 1 - Martial Study: Shadow Hand (via Fgt Bonus Feat ACF)
Flaw - Martial Stance: Child of Shadow
Flaw - Shadow Blade

Variants:
Wiz - Fgt Bonus Feat ACF
Wiz - Focused Specialist (Conj)
Wiz - Immediate Magic (Abrupt Jaunt)

Simple "Yes, you broke no rules" or "No, this can't happen because..." is all I'm after.

JaronK
2010-01-10, 04:00 AM
Q.54. If I want to draw a weapon and then use a full attack, do I need the Quick Draw feat? Or is there another way to do it?

The Eager enchantment would do it. A Gnomish Quickrazor can be drawn as a free action too.

JaronK

Koury
2010-01-10, 04:44 AM
Q63

If I am a Wizard with the Magic Domain (Via trading out my level 5 wizard bonus feat) and have banned schools can I:

1) Cast spells of spell completion items of my banned school(s)?
2) If so, do they count as being on my class list or do I need UMD?

Curmudgeon
2010-01-10, 07:43 AM
A 61

There is no such thing as an "item of continuous geas" in the D&D game. All custom items are subject to individual DM judgment, and thus your question doesn't have a RAW answer.

Curmudgeon
2010-01-10, 08:00 AM
A 63

Assuming you're referring to the Domain Granted Power Alternative Class Feature (Complete Champion, page 52), you would be treated as a level 1 Wizard for your banned school(s), and all previously banned Wizard spells would be available via the Magic domain granted power. Spell completion requires a caster level check (DC = scroll’s caster level + 1) to cast the spell successfully. If you fail, you must make a DC 5 Wisdom check to avoid a mishap. So roll a d20, add 1 for your caster level when using the Magic domain, and see if you can complete the spell.

This ACF has nothing to do with the Use Magic Device skill.

Douglas
2010-01-10, 08:28 AM
A62

You have to specify a single shadow hand maneuver for Martial Study, but other than that nothing you mentioned breaks the rules for a gestalt game where those variants are allowed.

Sliver
2010-01-10, 10:25 AM
Q64

Are there rules for checking if a food item is poisoned by tasting it a bit?

Kobold-Bard
2010-01-10, 12:12 PM
Q64

Are there rules for checking if a food item is poisoned by tasting it a bit?

A64

No. The Detect Poison (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/detectpoison.htm) spell will do that for you though.

KillianHawkeye
2010-01-10, 12:20 PM
Q 60

Does the fast healing on the evolved template stack if you take the template more than once? I believe it does because it seems to be untyped, but I might be missing something.

A 60 No.

The ability makes no provision for adding to any preexisting fast healing the creature might have, whether from a previous application of this template or from some other source. Thus, it is treated like any other replicated feat or ability. It does not have a "type" because it is not a bonus, so being typed or untyped is a meaningless classification.

Eloel
2010-01-10, 12:26 PM
Q 52

Is a continuous true strike effect item 8,000 gp like I've calculated?

Sounds like a fair price. Keep in mind that each casting of True Strike is good only for a single attack, so you just spent 8k to get +20 attack roll once.

Kobold-Bard
2010-01-10, 12:35 PM
Sounds like a fair price. Keep in mind that each casting of True Strike is good only for a single attack, so you just spent 8k to get +20 attack roll once.

Ring of True Strike is specifically mentioned here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20050118a) regarding exceptions to the normal crafting rules.

Thurbane
2010-01-10, 03:40 PM
Repost for a new page:

Q 58

Are there any feats, PrCs, items or spells that allow a Wizard to speed up the process of learning and scribing new spells into his book? (8 hours to learn, 24 hours to scribe).

Lord of Syntax
2010-01-10, 06:07 PM
Q65:
Where can I find Boccob's Blessed Book?

Kobold-Bard
2010-01-10, 06:08 PM
A65

<Non-OGL Deity>'s Blessed Book (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/WondrousItems.htm#blessedBook)

Soranar
2010-01-10, 06:10 PM
A.52

for a 1/day effect sure, he was talking about a continuous (always on) power

Lord of Syntax
2010-01-10, 06:19 PM
Q66:
Could a Wizard//Archivist gestalt use a Blessed Book as both a spellbook and a prayer book?

Kobold-Bard
2010-01-10, 06:23 PM
Q66:
Could a Wizard//Archivist gestalt use a Blessed Book as both a spellbook and a prayer book?

Yes. Prayerbooks are basically Spellbooks renamed, so BBB is useable by both classes. Still ha the 1000 page limit to be shared between both classes spells of course.

Warclam
2010-01-10, 07:11 PM
In feats such as Augment Summoning, reference is repeatedly made to "summon spells". What is a summon spell? Is it any spell of the summoning subschool, or spells with "summon" in their names, or something else? Would summon swarm or summon elemental monolith count?

Runestar
2010-01-10, 07:34 PM
In feats such as Augment Summoning, reference is repeatedly made to "summon spells". What is a summon spell? Is it any spell of the summoning subschool, or spells with "summon" in their names, or something else? Would summon swarm or summon elemental monolith count?

Any spell with the summoning tag/subschool.

Agent_0042
2010-01-10, 10:23 PM
Q68
Can a monk TWF using an unarmed strike as both a primary and secondary weapon? How about a regular weapon in the primary hand with an unarmed strike as the secondary, and vice versa?

Kallisti
2010-01-10, 10:35 PM
Q69

How exactly is "drop" defined for Cleave? Could I Cleave off an attack that stuns? Nauseates? Paralyzes? Trips?

Koury
2010-01-10, 10:49 PM
Q69

How exactly is "drop" defined for Cleave? Could I Cleave off an attack that stuns? Nauseates? Paralyzes? Trips?

Drop is defined immediately afterward in parenthesis
by dropping it to below 0 hit points or killing it

Temotei
2010-01-10, 11:40 PM
A 69 Additional

You could make attacks that stunned, paralyzed, tripped, etc. as long as you do enough damage to drop them.

Vaynor
2010-01-10, 11:45 PM
Q68
Can a monk TWF using an unarmed strike as both a primary and secondary weapon? How about a regular weapon in the primary hand with an unarmed strike as the secondary, and vice versa?

A68

Your unarmed strike is considered a single, natural attack, and is treated as such for all intents and purposes, regardless of the fact that you have two hands.

Lord of Syntax
2010-01-10, 11:55 PM
Q70:
Can a Incantarix use cooperative metemagic with his own spells?

Q71:
Does Arcane Thesis apply to metamagic applied with a Incantarix's cooperative metamagic ability?

Q72:
How can I make my bite attack poisonous?

Runestar
2010-01-11, 06:13 AM
Q68) Can a monk TWF using an unarmed strike as both a primary and secondary weapon? How about a regular weapon in the primary hand with an unarmed strike as the secondary, and vice versa?

Apparently so, you simply incur the normal penalties associated with TWFing. You can even combine them with flurry. It should be covered in the FAQ somewhere.

Ah, found it - page 19

The description of the flurry of blows ability says there’s no such thing as a monk attacking with an off-hand weapon during a flurry of blows. What does that mean, exactly? Can the monk make off-hand attacks in addition to flurry attacks?

Actually, the text to which you refer appears in the entry for unarmed strikes. When a monk uses her unarmed strike ability, she does not suffer any penalty for an off-hand attack, even when she has her hands full and attacks with her knees and elbows, using the flurry of blows ability to make extra attacks, or both.

The rules don’t come right out and say that a monk can’t use an unarmed strike for an off-hand strike (although the exact wording of the unarmed strike ability suggests otherwise), and no compelling reason why a monk could not do so exists.

When using an unarmed strike as an off-hand attack, the monk suffers all the usual attack penalties from two-weapon fighting (see Table 8–10 in the Player’s Handbook) and the monk adds only half her Strength bonus (if any) to damage if the off-hand unarmed strike hits.

To add an off-hand attack to a flurry of blows, stack whatever two-weapon penalty the monk has with the penalty (if any) from the flurry. Attacks from the flurry have the monk’s full damage bonus from Strength, but the off-hand attack gains only half Strength bonus to damage. If the off-hand attack is a weapon, that weapon isn’t available for use in the flurry (if it can be used in a flurry at all, see the previous question).

For example, a 4th-level monk with the Two-Weapon Fighting feat and a Strength score of 14 decides to use a flurry of blows and decides to throw in an off-hand attack as well. The monk has a base attack bonus of +3 and a +2 Strength bonus. With a flurry, the character can make two attacks, each at +3 (base +3, –2 flurry, +2 strength). An unarmed strike is a light weapon, so the monk suffers an additional –2 penalty for both the flurry and the off-hand attack, and the monk makes three attacks, each at an attack bonus of +1. The two attacks from the flurry are primary attacks and add the monk’s full Strength bonus to damage of +2. The single off-hand attack adds half the monk’s Strength bonus to damage (+1).

If the monk in our example has two sais to use with the flurry, plus the off-hand attack, she can use both in the flurry (in which case she must make the off-hand attack with an unarmed strike) or one sai for the off-hand attack and one with the flurry. The sai used in the off-hand attack is not available for the flurry and vice versa.

Coidzor
2010-01-11, 06:20 AM
A68: Addendum/Clarification: As you can tell, the first question has a bone of contention. The second part, yes, an unarmed strike may be used as either the primary or secondary component of a TWF routine. Wielding a different weapon and an unarmed strike does not invoke the natural attack rules either, just the standard TWF mechanics.

Kobold-Bard
2010-01-11, 06:20 AM
A72

Take a level of Assassin (or any class with the "Poison Use" Class Feature), then apply poison to your teeth since you don't risk poisoning yourself.

Obviously there may be other, less stupid ways.

Curmudgeon
2010-01-11, 07:25 AM
Re: A 72

Take a level of Assassin (or any class with the "Poison Use" Class Feature), then apply poison to your teeth since you don't risk poisoning yourself.
Actually, you still have that risk, even with the Poison Use ability. From Dungeon Master's Guide, pages 296-297:
Perils Of Using Poison

A character has a 5% chance of exposing himself to a poison whenever he applies it to a weapon or otherwise readies it for use. Additionally, a character who rolls a natural 1 on an attack roll with a poisoned weapon must make a DC 15 Reflex save or accidentally poison himself with the weapon. A creature with a poison attack is immune to its own poison and the poison of others of its kind. Even if applying the poison is safe, you still can poison yourself with a bad attack roll and failed save. Only those immune to the poisons they use are truly safe.

Kobold-Bard
2010-01-11, 07:29 AM
Re: A 72

Actually, you still have that risk, even with the Poison Use ability. From Dungeon Master's Guide, pages 296-297: Even if applying the poison is safe, you still can poison yourself with a bad attack roll and failed save. Only those immune to the poisons they use are truly safe.

Crud :smallannoyed:

Then yeah, get a template that makes you immune to Poison and go nuts.

Curmudgeon
2010-01-11, 07:29 AM
A 72

The Yuan-Ti Poison Fangs graft (Fiend Folio, page 215) adds poison to your bite attack.

theterran
2010-01-11, 08:10 AM
Q73

Kobold only has 3 languages listed, (Draconic, Common, Undercommon), is there a way for a Kobold to speak Infernal, strictly RAW, no fluff plz.

Thanks,

Kobold-Bard
2010-01-11, 08:15 AM
A73

Have an Intelligence of higher than 12 and choose Infernal as a bonus Language.

Or buy a rank in the Speak Language Skill (Cross Class for most classes) and choose Infernal.

Zom B
2010-01-11, 12:08 PM
Q74

I seem to remember a feat that allowed a spontaneous caster to prepare some or perhaps all of their spells as a wizard. Anyone know of it? If it exists, (cut because it is not really relevent to the question)

I'm thinking it would make it possible to enter a PrC like Ultimate Magus with only one class (although the logistics of that would be strange, the one class would count as both your highest-level and lowest-level spellcasting class, and so would get all sorts of crazy spellcasting level bonuses.)

Duke of URL
2010-01-11, 12:10 PM
A 74

Arcane Preparation (CArc).

Douglas
2010-01-11, 12:22 PM
A74 note

While this feat does allow qualifying for Mage of the Arcane Order, it does not allow qualifying for Ultimate Magus. UM specifically requires that you prepare spells from a spellbook, which a Sorcerer with Arcane Preparation does not do.

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-01-11, 01:55 PM
A 73 Correction

A73Have an Intelligence of higher than 12 and choose Infernal as a bonus Language.
Bonus Languages from High Intelligence can only be selected from a list in the race’s description. In this case, Common and Undercommon are the Bonus Languages, and are the only languages available from a high Intelligence for most kobolds.

Note, though, some classes, such as Cleric (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/resources/systems/pennpaper/dnd35/soveliorsage/cleric.html) do add additional languages to a character’s list of bonus languages. An Intelligent kobold cleric can choose Infernal as a bonus language, but an Intelligent kobold rogue cannot.

Telonius
2010-01-11, 05:20 PM
Q75
Can't seem to find the answer to this anywhere - do monsters have racial class skills? If so, what are they - just the number of skills listed in the monster entry? Or do the various types/subtypes have their own list of "racial skills"? (I'm applying the half-dragon template to a Minotaur, and this will increase the number of skill points).

jokey665
2010-01-11, 05:29 PM
A75

SRD entry on monster skills (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/intro.htm)

Skills

This line gives the creature’s skills, along with each skill’s modifier (including adjustments for ability scores, armor check penalties, and any bonuses from feats or racial traits). All listed skills are class skills, unless the creature has a character class (noted in the entry). A creature’s type and Intelligence score determine the number of skill points it has.

The Skills section of the creature’s description recaps racial bonuses and other adjustments to skill modifiers for the sake of clarity; these bonuses should not be added to the listed skill modifiers.

An asterisk (*) beside the relevant score and in the Skills section of the descriptive text indicates a conditional adjustment, one that applies only in certain situations.

So a minotaur has class skills of intimidate, listen, search, and spot. Note, tough, that the "minotaurs as characters" section also lists jump as a class skill.

Half-dragon says "Treat skills from the base creature’s list as class skills, and other skills as cross-class," so it does not add any new class skills.

Temotei
2010-01-11, 05:48 PM
A 72

The Yuan-Ti Poison Fangs graft (Fiend Folio, page 215) adds poison to your bite attack.

A 72 additional

And if you don't want that, you could always take a [Luck] feat that allowed an attack re-roll. Or be a swordsage with the Shadow Hand maneuver that allows you to roll 2d20 and take the better roll.

Lord of Syntax
2010-01-11, 06:59 PM
Q70:
Can a Incantarix use cooperative metemagic with his own spells?

Q71:
Does Arcane Thesis apply to metamagic applied with a Incantarix's cooperative metamagic ability?

New page bump.

Telonius
2010-01-11, 07:45 PM
A75

SRD entry on monster skills (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/intro.htm)

So a minotaur has class skills of intimidate, listen, search, and spot. Note, tough, that the "minotaurs as characters" section also lists jump as a class skill.

That'll be extremely helpful when I start adding some Warblade levels on top of it. I expect my players will have many curses for this. Thanks!

Douglas
2010-01-11, 07:55 PM
That'll be extremely helpful when I start adding some Warblade levels on top of it. I expect my players will have many curses for this. Thanks!
Note that the Warblade levels will use the Warblade class list, not the minotaur class list. Any skill points from Warblade spent on minotaur skills that aren't also on the Warblade list will cost 2 points per rank, though the maximum ranks will still be as for a class skill.

A70

No. Cooperative Metamagic requires that you have a readied action to use it when the beneficiary casts. Unless you can somehow have a readied action and cast a spell at the same time (Schism might do it), the required combination of actions makes using it on your own spells impossible. You can use Metamagic Effect on your own stuff just fine, though, but that's limited to spells with non instantaneous durations.

A71

Yes, provided the spell you are applying the metamagic to is the one you selected for Arcane Thesis.

Lord of Syntax
2010-01-11, 08:40 PM
A70

No. Cooperative Metamagic requires that you have a readied action to use it when the beneficiary casts. Unless you can somehow have a readied action and cast a spell at the same time (Schism might do it), the required combination of actions makes using it on your own spells impossible. You can use Metamagic Effect on your own stuff just fine, though, but that's limited to spells with non instantaneous durations.

One more reason to play a psion!

Gorgondantess
2010-01-11, 11:01 PM
Q 76
Can symbionts be enchanted like normal items? So, for example, can a living breastplate take a +1 twilight enchantment?

KillianHawkeye
2010-01-12, 02:58 AM
Q 77

Is there a non-Epic version of the demi-lich?

FishAreWet
2010-01-12, 03:19 AM
Q 77

The lich. :smallcool:

Curmudgeon
2010-01-12, 05:26 AM
A 76 No.

The Craft Magic Arms And Armor feat only works on items in the "magic weapon, armor, or shield" categories. A Living Breastplate is an aberration. It can't be crafted.

Koury
2010-01-12, 08:25 AM
Q 78

Say I am a level 5 Wizard casting a Sculpted Hail of Stone. Is there any reason I cannot choose to place all 4 10' cubes in the same spot and deal 20d4 damage to someone? Meteor Swarm comes to mind as a spell that allows overlapping of its own area to deal more damage.

Douglas
2010-01-12, 08:56 AM
A78

If I remember the wording of the spell correctly, it is similar to most area damage spells and does not "do damage to the area". I don't see anything prohibiting you from putting all 4 10' cubes in the same spot, but this would not result in 5d4 damage to the area repeated 4 times. The way such spells are worded, it works as a binary check of "is X creature inside the spell's area?", with damage as given dealt to creatures that are and no damage dealt to creatures that aren't. If a creature is in all 4 cubes, which could happen with a large creature even without stacking them in the same spot, then it is in the spell's area and takes the damage - once.

Koury
2010-01-12, 09:27 AM
RE: A78

You create a rain of stones that deals 1d4 points of damage per caster level (maximum 5d4) to creatures and objects within the area. Material Component: A piece of jade worth at least 5 gp.

I believe the bolded is what you are referring to. However, it is in 4 separate areas that happen to overlap. Meteor Swarm can affect single individuals multiple times, why not this? And for a more level appropriate example, Magic Missile.

Duke of URL
2010-01-12, 09:36 AM
A 78, additional

Assuming for the moment that you can overlap the squares (which seems doubtful, but I don't have a RAW reference to back that up at the moment), you would need to make four separate attack rolls against the target, doing 5d4 damage on each successful roll.

That aside, a potential 20d4 to a single target with a 1st level spell (even using metamagic to up the spell slot by 1) seems excessive, and is almost certainly not RAI.

Douglas
2010-01-12, 09:36 AM
RE: A78
I believe the bolded is what you are referring to. However, it is in 4 separate areas that happen to overlap. Meteor Swarm can affect single individuals multiple times, why not this? And for a more level appropriate example, Magic Missile.
"The area" is the total of all 10' cubes. A creature is either in the area or not, as far as the spell is concerned.

Meteor Swarm is an exception because it specifies four separate areas and each area, rather than the spell as a whole, does damage. Similarly with Magic Missile, each missile does damage rather than the spell as a whole doing damage.

Sculpt Spell changes the area of a spell but does not change that it is the spell as a whole that does the damage, and the spell only cares about whether a creature is in the area or not, not how many times it is in the (single) area.

Edit: Hail of Stone does not require an attack roll, so Duke of URL's point is irrelevant for this case. It also doesn't allow a save. Or SR. And it's untyped. And an area spell. Yes, this makes it rather difficult to avoid taking full damage. And by "difficult" I mean that, in a level 50 gestalt arena where a typical character is immune to damn near everything it's possible to be immune to, I seriously considered making a character based on using this spell as his primary offense.

Duke of URL
2010-01-12, 09:41 AM
Edit: Hail of Stone does not require an attack roll, so Duke of URL's point is irrelevant for this case. It also doesn't allow a save. Or SR. And it's untyped. And an area spell. Yes, this makes it rather difficult to avoid taking full damage.

The version I'm looking at is from Underdark, which requires a ranged attack roll. Was this changed in the Spell Compendium?

Douglas
2010-01-12, 09:43 AM
The version I'm looking at is from Underdark, which requires a ranged attack roll. Was this changed in the Spell Compendium?
Yes. 1d4 untyped damage/level, max 5d4, area effect, no save, no SR, instantaneous conjuration. If it weren't capped at such a low amount of damage with a very small area it would be an incredibly broken spell. At epic levels where Enhance Spell is available, it is incredibly broken.

Eric Phail
2010-01-12, 02:03 PM
Q79. In Gestalt you take the better BAB and saves from each side is this each level or do you use the better sides total?

eg. Wizard 20//Fighter 1/Sorcerer 19 could be read as having 20 BAB since the wizard and sorceror BAB increases are now on opposite levels

2nd eg. Wizard 5//Fighter 4/Sorceror 1 could be considered to have will save of 6 (4 from the first four levels of wizard and 2 from the sorceror level) even though neither side has that by right

Duke of URL
2010-01-12, 02:11 PM
A 79

Gestalt rules are typically vague to the pointy of having no reliable RAW answer. However, the best RAW on the subject says "Choose the better progression from the two classes". Key word is "progression", meaning you take the better advancement rate at each level, not the sum total.

This is why many gestalt games use fractional BAB and saves.

Douglas
2010-01-12, 02:29 PM
A79 clarification

RAW is rather vague on this. Level by level best with whole numbers leads to the silliness of fighter1/wizard19//sorcerer20 with 20 BAB, as you mentioned. Best side or best progression with whole numbers doesn't handle multiclassing well and can lead to some nonsensical results, usually of saves not improving when they logically should.

The by far best solution in my opinion is level by level best using fractional BAB and saves. Instead of getting 1 BAB every 2 levels, wizards get .5 BAB at every level. Similarly, medium BAB is .75 per level, good saves are .5 per level +2 at level 1, and poor saves are 1/3 per level. Take the better of each at each individual level, add them all up, and round down at the end.

KillianHawkeye
2010-01-12, 02:33 PM
Q 77

The lich. :smallcool:

Thanks for nothing. Would anyone care to provide an actual answer?

Douglas
2010-01-12, 02:57 PM
Thanks for nothing. Would anyone care to provide an actual answer?
That's the best answer you're going to get. Demilich is, in essence, an epic version of lich. Taking away the epic part just brings you back to an ordinary lich.

KillianHawkeye
2010-01-12, 03:22 PM
That's the best answer you're going to get. Demilich is, in essence, an epic version of lich. Taking away the epic part just brings you back to an ordinary lich.

In that case, a simple "No" would have sufficed.

Considering that being a Lich is a requirement of becoming a demi-lich and the fact that it's clearly a different creature, I don't consider them to be the same thing at all. Thus the confusion.

Anyway, thank you.

Lyth
2010-01-12, 05:39 PM
Q80

I apologize if this has been asked in the past. How long do half-elves sleep for, or do they trance for 4 hours like their elven brethren?

Curmudgeon
2010-01-12, 05:50 PM
A 80

Half-Elves sleep for 8 hours, and do not normally trance. The Elf trance isn't actually included in their racial traits, so qualifying for Elven Blood doesn't pick up that ability. You should talk to your DM to see if it would be possible for a Half-Elf to learn how to trance.

Thurbane
2010-01-12, 08:41 PM
Q 81

Question about magic items that simulate special metals. MIC has Ring of Adamantine Touch and Gauntlets of Weaponry Arcane (Silver). Is there a similar item for cold iron (apart from the Metalline weapon property)?

Foryn Gilnith
2010-01-12, 08:49 PM
A 80 continued

The PHB2 Teamwork Benefit "Group Trance" allows a half-elf to lead a group in a group trance. While this is not conclusive proof that half-elves trance, it is certainly a way for half-elves to learn to trance. If the half-elf in question has 4 or more HD, a free teamwork benefit slot, 1 rank in Concentration, and a friend with the same; both the half-elf and the friend learn to trance.

Lord of Syntax
2010-01-12, 09:33 PM
Q82:
Is there a way to make the blue incarnum energy not be visible?

Sstoopidtallkid
2010-01-12, 11:04 PM
Q83

Where are the rules on pt-buy costs per ability score located? I have a player who has apparently never heard of the system.

deuxhero
2010-01-12, 11:24 PM
Q83

Where are the rules on pt-buy costs per ability score located? I have a player who has apparently never heard of the system.

DMG IIRC. you can also use this calculator (http://www.hackslash.net/?p=73).

(crossposted at BG)

q84:Any non-dragon things a Horizon Tripper can swap combat style for that are of use?
q85:Any Ranger ACFs that drop a class feature from 4th level or above and give any form of bonus at level 1-3?

Lord of Syntax
2010-01-13, 01:51 AM
DMG IIRC. you can also use this calculator (http://www.hackslash.net/?p=73).

(crossposted at BG)

This one is better (http://yellowrex.com/tools/pbcalc.php)

Lord of Syntax
2010-01-13, 02:16 AM
Q84:
Could you use Prevenom Weapon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/prevenomWeapon.htm) on a bite attack?

FishAreWet
2010-01-13, 02:31 AM
Q84:
Could you use Prevenom Weapon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/prevenomWeapon.htm) on a bite attack?

A84 No, it's not a weapon. You could, however, a Monk's fists.

Curmudgeon
2010-01-13, 06:54 AM
A 83

The point buy rules are in Dungeon Master's Guide on page 169. Note that the two calculators linked to do not follow those rules, as the DMG does not provide for scores starting below 8 (before racial adjustments).

Stegyre
2010-01-13, 12:31 PM
q85:Any Ranger ACFs that drop a class feature from 4th level or above and give any form of bonus at level 1-3?
1. Suggest bolding your question numbers, so they are not overlooked (particularly when stuck at the end of an answer to another question.

2. No. As a rule, ACFs trade one ability for another at the same level. You don't get to play with something new and shiny before you've paid for it.

Lord of Syntax
2010-01-13, 05:44 PM
Q82:
Is there a way to make the blue incarnum energy not be visible?

New page bump.

Thurbane
2010-01-13, 08:27 PM
Q 81

Question about magic items that simulate special metals. MIC has Ring of Adamantine Touch and Gauntlets of Weaponry Arcane (Silver). Is there a similar item for cold iron (apart from the Metalline weapon property)?
New page bump.

drengnikrafe
2010-01-13, 10:07 PM
Q. 87

Do the enhancement bonuses already present on a weapon stack with Magic Weapon or Greater Magic Weapon? I.E., if I cast Magic Weapon on a +3 Sword, would it become +4, or remain +3?

Douglas
2010-01-13, 10:44 PM
A87

It would remain +3.

Adamaro
2010-01-14, 06:18 AM
Q 88

I want to run a high-powered campaign in 3.5. Can someone recommend me a high-powered (high lvl) premade campaign?

Duke of URL
2010-01-14, 07:22 AM
A 88

That is not a RAW question. I suggest you start a separate thread in the gaming forum.

Duke of URL
2010-01-14, 07:25 AM
A 87, additional

Specifically, bonuses of the same type (enhancement in this case) or that come from the same source do not stack. (There are some exceptions to that, specifically circumstance and dodge bonuses; and of course, a specific rule can always trump the general rule.)

Runestar
2010-01-14, 07:30 AM
Q 81

None that I am aware of, though you could simply wield a cold iron weapon. With aforementioned ring and gauntlets, you will automatically overcome any metallic-based dr. :smallsmile:

Stegyre
2010-01-14, 10:12 AM
A 82 Not by RAW.
This is a "talk to your DM" situation: so long as there is still some visual effect that would allow a soul meld to be identified, the particular color descriptions are just fluff, subject to re-fluffing.

Eloel
2010-01-14, 11:38 AM
Q89
Is there a way to bypass Lightning Resistance/Immunity of golems and/or Energy Immunity? Something similar to Searing Spell or Piercing Cold I'd assume.

FrigginLoon
2010-01-14, 12:21 PM
Q90

Somewhere there is a feat that allows you to use a spear one-handed along with a shield, does anyone know the name of this feat and it's source?

Thank you in advance. :)

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2010-01-14, 06:09 PM
Q91: Do bonus HD (temporarily) effect ECL and everything based off it?

Claudius Maximus
2010-01-14, 07:23 PM
Q 92

What means exist for a humanoid to gain the Dragon type? So far I know about the Dragonwrought feat and the Half-Dragon template, but I'd like to know of more, if they exist. Preferably involving no more than one lost level.

Curmudgeon
2010-01-14, 08:56 PM
A 92 partial

The Dragon Disciple (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/dragonDisciple.htm) prestige class conveys the dragon type at 10th level.

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-01-14, 09:26 PM
A 91

Yes. The benefits of extra HD are one of the reason they are granted as HD rather than simply temporary hit points. Note that temporary HD most likely do not carry a class, so they only affect character level, and not class level.

[hr]
A 92 Further Partial

The Dragontouched feat from Dragon Magic allows any creature to gain the Dragonblood subtype. This allows an affected humanoid to be treated as a Dragon for most purposes while still retaining its Humanoid type. While not the Dragon type itself, Dragonblood will let you do almost anything you would otherwise need to be a Dragon to do.

Treebranch
2010-01-14, 11:12 PM
Q93:

Is there an exotic one-handed weapon that works with weapon finesse and can be wielded in two hands for +1.5*str damage?

Runestar
2010-01-15, 12:09 AM
Q93:

Is there an exotic one-handed weapon that works with weapon finesse and can be wielded in two hands for +1.5*str damage?

Elven thinblade (races of the wild), basically a finessable longsword.

Koury
2010-01-15, 12:11 AM
Q94

Are there rules for the distance at which you can read stuff? I know Explosive Runes says you must be adjacent, but is there anything else? As far as I can tell, by RAW, you have to be adjacent to a huge billboard to read it, for example. Thats hardly the silliest thing ever per RAW, but I'm curious if I've missed something.

Lord of Syntax
2010-01-15, 12:29 AM
A 94:
You just have to make the spot check.

Koury
2010-01-15, 12:34 AM
A 94:
You just have to make the spot check.

I see nothing about reading things under the Spot entry. Well, reading lips, but that's not what I'm looking for.

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2010-01-15, 04:59 AM
Yes. The benefits of extra HD are one of the reason they are granted as HD rather than simply temporary hit points. Note that temporary HD most likely do not carry a class, so they only affect character level, and not class level.Since ECL is based of HD, that raises ECL which temporarily raises max skill rank limits as well... I think I am going to like my bard friend :smallredface:

Duke of URL
2010-01-15, 07:53 AM
A 94, additional

There's no actual RAW on the subject, but pieces of RAW can be put together to get a basic idea.

Vision and Light (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/exploration.htm#visionAndLight) says:

Dwarves and half-orcs have darkvision, but everyone else needs light to see by. See Table: Light Sources and Illumination for the radius that a light source illuminates and how long it lasts.

In an area of bright light, all characters can see clearly. A creature can’t hide in an area of bright light unless it is invisible or has cover.

In an area of shadowy illumination, a character can see dimly. Creatures within this area have concealment relative to that character. A creature in an area of shadowy illumination can make a Hide check to conceal itself.

In areas of darkness, creatures without darkvision are effectively blinded. In addition to the obvious effects, a blinded creature has a 50% miss chance in combat (all opponents have total concealment), loses any Dexterity bonus to AC, takes a -2 penalty to AC, moves at half speed, and takes a -4 penalty on Search checks and most Strength and Dexterity-based skill checks.

Characters with low-light vision (elves, gnomes, and half-elves) can see objects twice as far away as the given radius. Double the effective radius of bright light and of shadowy illumination for such characters.

Characters with darkvision (dwarves and half-orcs) can see lit areas normally as well as dark areas within 60 feet. A creature can’t hide within 60 feet of a character with darkvision unless it is invisible or has cover.

And Spot (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/spot.htm) says:

The Spot skill is used primarily to detect characters or creatures who are hiding. Typically, your Spot check is opposed by the Hide check of the creature trying not to be seen. Sometimes a creature isn’t intentionally hiding but is still difficult to see, so a successful Spot check is necessary to notice it.

Note that the spot check takes a -1 for each 10' of distance.

Now, both descriptions cover creatures, not objects, so here we have to see if we can treat an inanimate object as a creature. In fact, the Breaking and Entering (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/exploration.htm#breakingAndEntering) section gives rules to this effect:

An inanimate object has not only a Dexterity of 0 (-5 penalty to AC), but also an additional -2 penalty to its AC.

Since an inanimate object has no skill points, its Hide score is 0 ranks, -5 Dex, plus any size modifiers, which would be the base DC of the spot check.

Therefore, any creature within vision range should be able to spot the object with a DC equal to its size modifier -5, but with a -1 penalty to the check for each 10' distance they are from it. Note that this is to spot it, not necessarily read it.

Oddly enough, concealment offered by shadowy illumination does not affect the spot checks at all, it only provides a "miss chance" if the creature/object is being attacked. As always, however, any skill check can be modified by Favorable and Unfavorable Conditions (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/usingSkills.htm#favorableAndUnfavorableConditions) :

Some situations may make a skill easier or harder to use, resulting in a bonus or penalty to the skill modifier for a skill check or a change to the DC of the skill check.

The chance of success can be altered in four ways to take into account exceptional circumstances...

The referee, of course, always has the discretion of determining DCs for tasks that are not explicitly listed. The spot DC above would likely be significantly higher to read the writing, as opposed to simply noticing that it is there.

Koury
2010-01-15, 08:01 AM
I appreciate the effort, Duke, but doesn't all you just said pretty much equal I can spot an object via Spot (gasp!:smallbiggrin:) but there are no rules for reading what it says?

Sadly, without something to contradict Explosive Runes ruling of needing to be adjacent to read, I think that the adjacent requirement will have to stand as RAW. :smallmad:

Duke of URL
2010-01-15, 08:11 AM
A 94, discussion

RAW doesn't seem to cover "reading" at all, except in the context of specific spells. But the skills section gives guidelines on how to set your own DC. Personally, I'd recommend making the default "read" DC equal to the spot DC + 10, as it would be an average task.

Taking an example -- "large" sized writing would have a spot DC of -9 and a read DC of 1. In other words, reading it would be almost as easy as seeing something in plain sight (DC 0). This makes sense.

Tiny writing, on the other hand, has a spot DC of 3 and a read DC of 13. Spotting that it's there might be easy, but reading it is no longer automatic for most characters, at least not without taking 10.

Koury
2010-01-15, 08:30 AM
A 94, Discussion

But thats all opinion, not RAW. Thank you for the discussion, but I believe I have my answer (that is, the only available RAW on reading, in terms of distance, comes from Explosive Runes and says you must be adjacent).

Douglas
2010-01-15, 08:51 AM
A94 house rule suggestion

Since RAW is silent on the matter, I'd say copy Listen's rule for understanding speech and say reading something has a DC 10 higher than just spotting it.

Duke of URL
2010-01-15, 08:56 AM
A 94, Discussion

But thats all opinion, not RAW. Thank you for the discussion, but I believe I have my answer (that is, the only available RAW on reading, in terms of distance, comes from Explosive Runes and says you must be adjacent).

I disagree. The point is that there is no relevant RAW, and that this falls under the category of referee's discretion, within the guidelines provided and common sense.

Koury
2010-01-15, 09:04 AM
I disagree. The point is that there is no relevant RAW, and that this falls under the category of referee's discretion, within the guidelines provided and common sense.

Why does the rules given in Explosive Runes not count?

And regardless, common sense has nothing to do with a RAW question. (Drown healing, for example.) I believe your suggestions to be fair and commonsensical, but not RAW, and RAW is all I'm looking for on this subject. If we ignore Explosive Runes for some reason, then we are left with nothing regarding reading at any distance. At least ER gives SOME form of rules

Duke of URL
2010-01-15, 09:10 AM
The explosive runes spell provides a trigger condition on what is required to read the writing created by the spell. It is not a general-purpose condition for reading writing of any type, style, or size created by any means.

The simple fact is that the rules do not cover every conceivable action or possibility. This is why they provide guidelines for DMs to do things like set their own DCs for tasks that are not explicitly spelled out.

Koury
2010-01-15, 09:20 AM
Its just weird that there are no reading-at-distance rules.

Its not like its some obscure thing that will never come up. Its pretty damned common, imo.

And why is the writing from Explosive Runes harder to read or different in any way from reading normal words?

Douglas
2010-01-15, 09:21 AM
Did you notice my post at the end of the previous page?

Anyway, this discussion is getting long enough that if you want to continue it you should take it to a different thread.

Koury
2010-01-15, 09:24 AM
Yeah, I did. Its just, I'm looking for RAW, not house rules. Thanks for the suggestion though :smallbiggrin:

theterran
2010-01-15, 04:01 PM
Q95

Can I carry my familiar on my shoulder? Is it dependent on the size of the familiar? Source?

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2010-01-15, 04:28 PM
Q95: Can a creature with a fly speed use a savnok tooth to fly with a medium or heavy load?

Lord of Syntax
2010-01-15, 05:01 PM
Q96:
How can you "cheat" the skill ranks max = LVL+3?

Curmudgeon
2010-01-15, 05:02 PM
A 95

For your familiar to share your space, you both must be able to fit without impeded movement.
Any creature can move through a square occupied by a creature three size categories larger than it is. If you're Medium size, you can have a Diminutive or Fine familiar share your space. Of the standard familiars only Bats and Toads would fit.