PDA

View Full Version : Quick question[3.5]

BenTheJester
2010-01-01, 10:46 AM
I cannot, for the life of me, find information on the effect of sleep, i.e: What happens if you don't sleep your 8 hours/day?

I know sleeping 8 hours removes fatigue. But I don't know what happens if you don't sleep

Pharaoh's Fist
2010-01-01, 10:47 AM
By RAW, none that I know of. However, Exhaustion then Fatigue would be logical.

Amphetryon
2010-01-01, 10:49 AM
By RAW, none that I know of. However, Exhaustion then Fatigue would be logical.

And we all know that logic is paramount in D&D.

Yuki Akuma
2010-01-01, 10:53 AM
There are no rules for sleep. Unless you happen to be an arcane spellcaster or psionicist, in which case you need to sleep to prepare spells/regain spell slots/regain power points.

Everyone else can stay awake for 24 hours with no ill effects! :smallwink:

Soranar
2010-01-01, 10:53 AM
first you get fatigued (-2 to str and dex)
then you get exhausted (-6 to str and dex)
eventually you need to make fortitude saves vs sleep if I remember right and another fortitude save vs constitution damage

there was a description in the player's manual, or was it the DM manual?

although I could be getting mixed up with 2nd edition , which had rules for everything

anyway, any good DM would houserule something

Ernir
2010-01-01, 06:52 PM
"I'll take this watch. I slept last week." - Greybeard, dwarven barbarian.

Draz74
2010-01-01, 07:03 PM
:miko: We can camp here in this muddy ditch by the side of the road. There are sharp rocks we can use as pillows and plenty of lichen to eat.

:miko: Luxury is the herald of weakness! There aren't even rules for sleeping, you know!!

Crow
2010-01-01, 07:17 PM
first you get fatigued (-2 to str and dex)
then you get exhausted (-6 to str and dex)
eventually you need to make fortitude saves vs sleep if I remember right and another fortitude save vs constitution damage

there was a description in the player's manual, or was it the DM manual?

although I could be getting mixed up with 2nd edition , which had rules for everything

anyway, any good DM would houserule something

I think you are thinking of the Forced March rules. Get fatigued, then anything that would make you fatigued makes you exhausted, and then you start making saves to resist non-lethal damage and unconciousness.

There is a similar passage for resting but I can't remember where it was. Basically if you don't get the required rest, you are fatigued, and so on.

tyckspoon
2010-01-01, 07:22 PM
There are no rules for sleep. Unless you happen to be an arcane spellcaster or psionicist, in which case you need to sleep to prepare spells/regain spell slots/regain power points.

Everyone else can stay awake for 24 hours with no ill effects! :smallwink:

They actually just need to rest. Sleeping is the most obvious way to do that, but there is no negative effect if the caster/manifester just sits up and plays solitaire for 8 hours instead.

Crow
2010-01-01, 07:23 PM
They actually just need to rest. Sleeping is the most obvious way to do that, but there is no negative effect if the caster/manifester just sits up and plays solitaire for 8 hours instead.

Or rides the horse that they are force-marching.

Temotei
2010-01-01, 08:02 PM
I wish we only had to rest. That would be awesome. *stays up all night sitting on computer, reading GitP forums* :smalleek: