PDA

View Full Version : 4e: Help building my Dwarven Plate Warlock

Touchy
2010-01-01, 03:36 PM
Let's get down to business, I somewhat new, and I feel weak compared to my part(ies)(I play at a hobby shop, so while we usually have regulars, we are split up), I've never like conventional stuff, I'd be playing the fighter who multiclassed as a cleric(cleric fighter), or playing a idiotic kobold who always managed to (nearly for awhile) kill myself in funniest manners due to stupidity. So a dwarven infernal warlock was sure to work for my odd character ideas. The fact I finally want to start optimizing him would help, but I am no good at optimizing.

Here's what I got so far.

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&DI Character Builder ======
Darth Travok, level 3
Dwarf, Warlock
Build: Scourge Warlock
Eldritch Blast: Eldritch Blast Constitution
Eldritch Pact: Infernal Pact

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 15, Con 19, Dex 10, Int 13, Wis 12, Cha 8.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 15, Con 17, Dex 10, Int 13, Wis 10, Cha 8.

AC: 18 Fort: 15 Reflex: 13 Will: 13
HP: 41 Surges: 10 Surge Value: 10

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +7, Insight +7, Bluff +7, History +7

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +1, Diplomacy, Dungeoneering +4, Endurance +7, Heal +2, Intimidate, Nature +2, Perception +2, Religion +2, Stealth +1, Streetwise, Thievery +1, Athletics +3

FEATS
Level 1: Armor Proficiency (Chainmail)
Level 2: Armor Proficiency (Scale)

POWERS
Warlock encounter 1: Vampiric Embrace
Warlock daily 1: Flames of Phlegethos
Warlock utility 2: Ethereal Stride
Warlock encounter 3: Fiery Bolt

ITEMS
Spellbook, Scale Armor, Magic Rod +1, Warhammer
RITUALS
Comprehend Language
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&DI Character Builder ======
I have Phb 1&2, martial powers, and the adventure's vault.
I'm going to level him up to 5 manually, I just use the Character creator as a something to help me start the initial design.
For my level 4 feat, I'm split between getting plate armor or taking reaper's touch, because what is the point in having an up and close warlock without being able to using my signature ability in melee range?

Any advice?

BobTheDog
2010-01-01, 03:51 PM
Instead of Reaper's Touch, you might consider taking Eldritch Strike instead of Blast at 1st level, to give you melee capabilities and save up a feat.

Touchy
2010-01-01, 03:56 PM
Instead of Reaper's Touch, you might consider taking Eldritch Strike instead of Blast at 1st level, to give you melee capabilities and save up a feat.

Which book is that in, or is that from dragon magazine? If it's dragon, then I can't use it. The only reason I put reaper's touch up is because I have the trial, so I can only see things from dragon that existed in the beta.
No DDI subscription.

Pramxnim
2010-01-01, 04:02 PM
Eldritch Strike is a power from the Player's Handbook Heroes book, and the December Update allowed all Warlocks to start with that power instead of Eldritch Blast if they so wish. Meanwhile, Reaper's Touch has been errata'd in the Dragon Magazine Annual so that it can only be taken by Shadar-Kai, so you're out of luck there. Eldritch Blast is essentially a melee basic attack that uses your Constitution (or Charisma) as the attack stat, and it slides an enemy 1 square on a hit. So it would deal 1[W]+Con mod and slide your target 1 square if you hit, and you can apply Curse damage on a hit. It's useful for Warlocks who like to be in melee.

Touchy
2010-01-01, 04:06 PM
Eldritch Strike is a power from the Player's Handbook Heroes book, and the December Update allowed all Warlocks to start with that power instead of Eldritch Blast if they so wish. Meanwhile, Reaper's Touch has been errata'd in the Dragon Magazine Annual so that it can only be taken by Shadar-Kai, so you're out of luck there. Eldritch Blast is essentially a melee basic attack that uses your Constitution (or Charisma) as the attack stat, and it slides an enemy 1 square on a hit. So it would deal 1[W]+Con mod and slide your target 1 square if you hit, and you can apply Curse damage on a hit. It's useful for Warlocks who like to be in melee.

Thanks, could you get me a copy of the PDF, I'll probably have to show it to them for them to believe me. Well atleast I can use my armor, or do I need a pactblade for this?

Pramxnim
2010-01-01, 05:02 PM
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mi/20090408a

There's a link to a page with the power available on the Wizards website. Posting a pdf would be illegal, but you can still show your friends where you got the power from. For this power at least, you don't need a Pact Blade, since it's a Weapon power, not an Implement power. You do need your Implement for other Warlock powers, and you want to be proficient with the weapon you're using. Since you're a Dwarf, your best bet would be the Warhammer (and use a Rod or something for your other Warlock powers).

Touchy
2010-01-01, 05:18 PM
Not sure how I'm going to explain it exactly. I didn't think it came with the miniatures. Some guy usually brings a laptop, so I could give him a link for proof. Any other sources besides that for a link to this power? I also I got a war hammer, so that is no big deal.

Anything else I should consider?

Edit: Found a PDF I can use the explain this.
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/UpdateNov2009.pdf
Page 58.

Swordgleam
2010-01-01, 05:23 PM
I don't know how much creativity with magic items your group allows, but could you make/get a warhammer with a magic rod as the haft? That way you wouldn't have to switch between a weapon and an implement.

Touchy
2010-01-01, 05:30 PM
I don't know how much creativity with magic items your group allows, but could you make/get a warhammer with a magic rod as the haft? That way you wouldn't have to switch between a weapon and an implement.

Warhammers can be wielded with-one hand. It isn't much of a problem. My wand is in my other hand, so nothing is conflicting. Also it varies between the player's, since DMing is more of whoever feels like it and if we need more than one or not.

Swordgleam
2010-01-01, 05:39 PM
I suppose there's nothing in the rules that gives penalties for having an implement in your off-hand, now that I think about it.

Archbear
2010-01-01, 06:04 PM
There's also the Pact Hammer (lvl 2+ magic weapon) in Adventurer's Vault, which is a hammer that functions as an implement (but only for dwarves).

Touchy
2010-01-01, 06:49 PM
There's also the Pact Hammer (lvl 2+ magic weapon) in Adventurer's Vault, which is a hammer that functions as an implement (but only for dwarves).

I'll check that out later, I already spent for a magic wand though. I might get that when I get some money.

Inyssius Tor
2010-01-01, 07:23 PM
I suppose there's nothing in the rules that gives penalties for having an implement in your off-hand, now that I think about it.

Yeah, that would kind of suck for bards. Like, a lot.