PDA

View Full Version : Help me decorate my room!

Exeson
2010-01-01, 04:54 PM
So recently I have sort of been in a decorating mood, not a big one mind you, but one. Thing is I have a fair amount of wall space left in my room that I want to fill but I don't know what with. I do have a few posters up but I very much prefer some form of ornament or artwork that is not 2D to posters. However, despite this the objects must not be too heavy as my walls are no very solid.

Examples of what I have on my walls:

A katana
Arrows tied together with a leather strip
A stenciled skateboard deck (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7607284&postcount=1008)
(playing with the idea of) A baboon skull that is sitting on my window sill

So anyone got any cool ideas for other things I can do? As with the skateboard I very much like the idea of making or modifying things to go on the walls either. Also I don't have an unlimited supply of cash, so the cheaper the better.

Jack Squat
2010-01-01, 05:12 PM
You could hang a cowboy hat or a sombrero.

Maybe old signs or some flags. I've got a pirate flag, a US flag, and am currently looking for those old triangular minefield signs.

Maybe some old gadgets? I've got an old telegraph key that I might try to do something with.

Mounted animals may be a possibility as well. You could probably find them at an estate sale. I know my late great uncle had a marlin mounted in his living room, which was a nice change from all the deer you normally see around here.

I suppose it really depends on what you're wanting to do with your room. Is there supposed to be some sort of theme, or are you more of wanting to look like you robbed a TGI Friday?

Dallas-Dakota
2010-01-01, 05:13 PM
Kazazzle Kazizzle it!:smalltongue:
/obscure Malcolm in the Middle reference.
:smalltongue:

Exeson
2010-01-01, 06:02 PM
I suppose it really depends on what you're wanting to do with your room. Is there supposed to be some sort of theme, or are you more of wanting to look like you robbed a TGI Friday?

Well anything that catches my imagination really. I don't want it to end up looking like TGI friday though, it still has to be neat and ordered and not cramped and jammed full of stuff.

Ilena
2010-01-01, 06:18 PM
Hmmmm im probably not the best one to suggest things, as i have a lot of posters up (even a towel that the picture on it looks like my horse) but i have some shelves with a lot of stuff on them, you may try putting in some shelves, (should be stronger hold as it would be spread over a larger area) and put things on it like statues of some things you like, or possibly framed photos if you want (i know you said non 2d but its on a shelf so kinda 3d :P) or some favorite toys you still have or things you have won,

Moff Chumley
2010-01-01, 06:23 PM
1) Free up as much space on one wall as possible
2) Get an ENORMOUS 'Big Brother is Watching You' poster
3) ????
4) Profit

Klose_the_Sith
2010-01-02, 12:53 PM
Buy a cheap acoustic guitar, smash it, then put together a sort of 'jigsaw' from the pieces onto one wall :smallcool:

Mystic Muse
2010-01-02, 01:04 PM
I suggest a little mini fridge AGAINST the wall not on the wall. This way you don't have to go downstairs for your soda/juice/milk/whatever. I don't think they cost too much but I could easily be wrong.

Egiam
2010-01-02, 01:12 PM
-BEAN BAG (high quality is a must)

assuming that you are a DND enthusiast...

-Poster of the map of Middle Earth
-Shelves of RPG books
-Replica weapons (such as the Katana you mentioned)

Assuming that you are a dude:
-Go down to your local army/navy surplus store and pick out some stuff, such as a blanket, garrison t-shirts, boots. For decorating, I suppose you could mount a bayonet or old helmet. Current issue LWH helmets run for about $300:
http://www.baesystems.com/BAEProd/groups/public/documents/content_image/bae_cimg_mps_ie_usmc_lwh.jpg

1990's issue PASGT helmets are about $50 at a shop near my house:
http://www.operation-helmet.org/images/helmets/pasgt.jpg

WWII, Korea, Vietnam issue M1 helmets. Vietnam ones tend to be about $30 and up
http://www.global-manufacturer.com/upload/product/00379/type-1-of-m1-helmet.jpg

If you have any other questions about US military gear decorating, just PM me. I will likely be able to help.

EDIT:
Just noticed that you live in the UK. Nevermind. :smallredface:

Mystic Muse
2010-01-02, 01:34 PM
also, if the bean bag gets all saggy just toss a couple pillows into it.

Miss Nobody
2010-01-02, 02:10 PM
Besides 2D things, I have a decorative mask on my wall, kinda like these (http://www.masqueradevenetianmasks.com/images/display_tragicamia.jpg). And I guess that something more tribal-ish (http://www.aspencountry.com/assets/product_images/product_lib/34000-34999/34757.jpg) would look nice next to those arrows.

Also old helmets/bayonets are cool, so I second that suggestion.

Moff Chumley
2010-01-02, 02:10 PM
Or just Duct-tape together a bunch of pillows.

Duct-tape: the foundation of modern technology! :elan:

Phae Nymna
2010-01-03, 05:19 AM
If you're a photographer (or if you know one) you may find it worthwhile to invest in giclee prints of your photos (or your friend's). Or, you can go to local art markets to find giclees done by local artists. It's a really good printing medium, as it's a mounted canvas printed with pigments so it doesn't get all slurry like inks do. I'm actually thinking about getting giclees of my photography made as I have one very blank wall as of present.

If you're in the mood for classy and refined, the addition of crown molding (real or false) can add a great atmosphere to a room. Then again, a fresh coat of paint in some kind of outgoing or cheery new color can refresh a room in a million ways. Wallpaper is much tougher, but...

Come to think of it, vinyl wall stickers come in all sorts of classy designs. Not only classiness can be achieved, but stylishness as well. Yeah.

Last but not least, the scent of a room can be a big part of how it's "decorated". I suggest investing in some nice candles or some incense. Pick something you like and isn't too strong. Think of it like buying cologne. But for your house. Yeah.

Don Julio Anejo
2010-01-03, 06:33 AM
A lot of my apartment feels like an upscale hipster bar. Or a booze museum if you will. It does, however, come with a best friend who's an alcoholic connoisseur (the kind of person who buys a $200 bottle of whiskey to see what it tastes like, says it's the best whiskey he ever had and spends the rest of the night getting smashed by mixing it with coke... grrr :mad:). Basically about 15 or so pseudo-antique bottles of all shapes and sizes in random places, including a few on the wall. With a pirate pistol and an old wooden barrel to complete the impression. Doesn't work if you're over 30 or you don't want to give your girlfriend a reason to think of you as a frat boy.

A few more things that would work great:
- Plants. More specifically, tiny palm trees are awesome.
- A cat. Hey, if it's going to sleep for 18 hours a day, it might as well be useful and sleep somewhere where it would add on to the overall Feng Shui.
- Plushies. Hey, you can make them manly! I have a hedgehog that could pass off as 50cent with all the bling he's got. Or a giant teddy bear that wears my Canucks jersey when I'm not.
- A nice rug. Obviously only if you have hardwood floors
- Touristy stuff if you've got it. Like tribal masks, little Parthenon/pyramid/Taj Mahal/Tower statuettes or Egyptian papyri
- Furniture if your room feels empty (works better if we're talking about apartment scale at the minimum, but in any case, hit IKEA for a lamp and you could be stylin' in no time).

If you're a photographer (or if you know one) you may find it worthwhile to invest in giclee prints of your photos (or your friend's). Or, you can go to local art markets to find giclees done by local artists. It's a really good printing medium, as it's a mounted canvas printed with pigments so it doesn't get all slurry like inks do. I'm actually thinking about getting giclees of my photography made as I have one very blank wall as of present.
Dude, I love you for this idea :smile:

Shikton
2010-01-03, 07:02 AM
Personally I've got some shark jaws on the wall and a corkboard where I put up various stuff to remind me of things I've done.

Apart from that I've only got shelves with dvd's and books and stuff on them.

If you have enough cash you should by a full suit of armor. Full plate. :smallcool:

Minstrel Cowboy
2010-01-17, 02:49 PM
If you have a printer (Or a place that you could get pictures from) Print out some photo's or drawings and make themed mobiles. There a blast to make when you dig up old memories. There's a few ways I found that really work well. one is to glue the photo's onto an index card that has about two centimeters of index card when you put the picture on and then poke a hole out at the top and string it. You can also cut out shapes with the index card and photos. (Remember to leave that space!)

Cheers!

Minstrel Cowboy

Minstrel Cowboy
2010-01-17, 02:51 PM
Oh and please tell me what you think of with a PM.

Ertier
2010-01-17, 04:03 PM
I think a life size statue of you cutting off a helpless Gnoll's legs with a giant cleaver would appropriate. If not, perhaps a doily.

Dallas-Dakota
2010-01-17, 04:14 PM
Rapalje+Omnia+KorpiKlaani+Eluveitie+Flogging Molly

Effin' crowded stage..but...

The result would be....

ApeofLight
2010-01-17, 04:19 PM
Go and buy a small cheap thing of paint and paint something cool on your wall? Like... a dragon or something? Does that work?

Why am I asking so many questions?

Solaris
2010-01-17, 04:32 PM
I've always preferred the blood of my enemies. Makes an excellent paint, but you have to reapply it fairly frequently and most people just don't have enough enemies to keep it bright.

Writing 'All work and no play make Jack a dull boy' over every available surface is always a good one.

In all seriousness, I've put mementos from my various adventures in for decoration. Example: I have a Beanie Baby squirrel that someone sent me as part of a care package back in Iraq. I'd seized upon the squirrel as an excellent method for messing with heads. Hence the time someone walked by my guard tower, heard me talking to someone, then climbed up to discover the squirrel sitting in the window sill and me saying "It helps to give the voices a face."
... They wouldn't let me take the AT mine we found back to base, much less on a plane full of sane people. Otherwise I'd have that on my doormat.

Anuan
2010-01-17, 04:38 PM
This. Totally. (http://www.globalgear.com.au/prod3651.htm)

OverdrivePrime
2010-01-17, 05:41 PM
Have a paper mâché casting done of your (or better yet, a few friends') torso and then cut and mount it so that it's flush with the wall. Get a few hands like this as well. When it's all properly mounted, putty up the cracks between the castings and the wall and then paint to match the rest of your room. The overall effect should make it look like you have people trapped in your walls. Bonus points if they're sexy as hell. :smallcool:

Kurien
2010-01-17, 08:07 PM
Papier mâché someone's torso? Wouldn't they have to keep it on for hours, if not days, to allow it to dry?

What about a tapestry?

Mystic Muse
2010-01-17, 08:08 PM
Papier mâché someone's torso? Wouldn't they have to keep it on for hours, if not days, to allow it to dry?

that's why you get ballistics gelatin instead!:smallbiggrin:

although you might have to contact Mythbusters for that.:smalltongue:

Solaris
2010-01-17, 08:08 PM

Only if you're doing it wrong. Most paper mache I've encountered only needs thirty minutes.

CMOTDibbler
2010-01-18, 02:10 AM
... They wouldn't let me take the AT mine we found back to base, much less on a plane full of sane people. Otherwise I'd have that on my doormat.

That would be totally awesome. I want a mine...

But really, I have tree painted on one wall, my name in Japanese on another, and a sword on third. Weapons are always cool.

reorith
2010-01-18, 02:20 AM
That would be totally awesome. I want a mine...

But really, I have tree painted on one wall, my name in Japanese on another, and a sword on third. Weapons are always cool.

using a weapon for decoration is an affront to the weapon's design and function. unless it is something like a khyber pass copy in which case, decorate to your hearts content.

golentan
2010-01-18, 02:31 AM
using a weapon for decoration is an affront to the weapon's design and function. unless it is something like a khyber pass copy in which case, decorate to your hearts content.

Speaking as a weapon... aficionado, I'd much rather weapons be decorative than employed.

Besides which, if it's decorative you can dust it off and use it if you have it in a reasonable mount. And you can simultaneously keep the neighbor kid from cutting his own hand off.

reorith
2010-01-18, 02:50 AM
the neighbor's kid's hand could make a pretty cool decoration. i'll concede that using a weapon in or as part of a design element like a gun cabinet or sword with a stylish plaque would make a good addition to the decoration of a room, but i meant along the lines of say jamming a broadsword into a coffee table and claiming whoever pulled it out would become the next king of the parlour, an instance where the weapon's functionality was negated by its use as a design element is disrespectful to its long and glorious combat heritage.