PDA

View Full Version : Best scroll ever? (3.5)

Stormlock
2010-01-01, 07:05 PM
What do you think would be the most powerful (epic obviously) scroll in the game, without homebrewing anything? I'm guessing something 9th level with every metamagic you can think of slapped on, but what would you use as the base, what metamagics, and why?

Edit: I just realized that Enhance Spell metamagic can be applied an unlimited number of times. Arbitrarily large number of damage dice sounds fun, if you can apply it to something that deals force or untyped damage with no saves.

Sstoopidtallkid
2010-01-01, 07:08 PM
Planar Binding. Grab an Efreeti, have him wish for a copy of the most powerful scroll in the game, and 2 scrolls of Planar Binding.

Boci
2010-01-01, 07:09 PM
Would the Cindy concept work? Or of X twinned, energy admiytured, chained, fell draining ect.

tyckspoon
2010-01-01, 07:15 PM
Gate, written at the highest possible caster level (let's take 40 as an example.) An 80-HD Epic critter at your service for up to 40 rounds, no obligation, no cost beyond using the scroll, since whoever wrote it very kindly already supplied the XP cost. The only real restriction is the inability to control specific named creatures.. but there still isn't much you can't do with the aid of a Great Wyrm Force Dragon.

Crow
2010-01-01, 07:21 PM
I agree with Tykspoon.

Everyone raves about the candle of invocation, but the candle only gives you the ability to cast Gate, so you still have to pay the xp cost. The scroll of Gate is no strings attached.

Xenogears
2010-01-01, 07:41 PM
A scroll of that 9th level corrupt spell from BoVD. Apocalypse From the Sky I think. Deals 10d10 damage to every creature and object in a ten mile radius.

Thats the base. Then add Intensify (Epic Metamagic that makes it do double maximum damage), Fell Animate for an army of undead, and whatever else seems fun.

Then spread rumors of a scroll that can only be used by a King from his throne room and doing so will grant eternal life. Then watch a kingdom burn, or freeze, or melt, or whatever energy you choose to use. Then the army of undead go berserk and kill the next country.

Skaven
2010-01-01, 07:43 PM
You can have multiple spells on one scroll, I believe.

Stormlock
2010-01-01, 07:55 PM
A scroll of that 9th level corrupt spell from BoVD. Apocalypse From the Sky I think. Deals 10d10 damage to every creature and object in a ten mile radius.

Thats the base. Then add Intensify (Epic Metamagic that makes it do double maximum damage), Fell Animate for an army of undead, and whatever else seems fun.

Then spread rumors of a scroll that can only be used by a King from his throne room and doing so will grant eternal life. Then watch a kingdom burn, or freeze, or melt, or whatever energy you choose to use. Then the army of undead go berserk and kill the next country.

I like this. Does the spell deal damage based on caster level or just a flat 10d10? If you can, go with multiple Enhances (Instead of doubled maximize, you just add a few dozen dice) and Widen it as well, if that can stick.

Dingle
2010-01-01, 07:58 PM
absurd cl holy word/blasphemy is an effective weapon.

robotrobot2
2010-01-01, 08:00 PM
The best scroll ever is a heightened locate city bomb, with widen spell slapped on x number of times. How does annihilating everything within an indefinite radius sound to you?

Stormlock
2010-01-01, 08:02 PM
absurd cl holy word/blasphemy is an effective weapon.

Oooohh thats a nice one too.:smallsmile:

Also, those are sonic element spells? Would not have guessed.:smallconfused:

Xenogears
2010-01-01, 08:18 PM
I like this. Does the spell deal damage based on caster level or just a flat 10d10? If you can, go with multiple Enhances (Instead of doubled maximize, you just add a few dozen dice) and Widen it as well, if that can stick.

I'm not positive since I don't have the book with me but I believe it is a flat amount of damage. Also I didn't mention it but it has a bloody ARTIFACT as a material component. I think you got to pick on of the five basic energy types tho...

Stormlock
2010-01-01, 09:10 PM
Also I didn't mention it but it has a bloody ARTIFACT as a material component.

All the more reason to have a scroll of the spell.:smallbiggrin:

Xenogears
2010-01-01, 09:14 PM
All the more reason to have a scroll of the spell.:smallbiggrin:

Well whoever made the scroll had to supply the artifact still. Of course the BoVD also lists angels, demons, and devils blood as minor artifacts so maybe thats easier to get than it seems.

I always wanted to run a campaign where Asmodeus had made a scroll of that eons ago and a holy temple guarded it from all those who would use it for ill (since for some reason it couldn't be destroyed). The BBEG would be sending minions (or maybe personally doing it...) trying to steal it. PCs would try to stop him/ uncover his identity. Make it time sensative. Price of failure is a ten mile radius crater.

Milskidasith
2010-01-01, 09:27 PM
The best scroll ever is a heightened locate city bomb, with widen spell slapped on x number of times. How does annihilating everything within an indefinite radius sound to you?

Locate city bomb does not work, and even if it did, the amount of damage it would do to anybody not standing on a flat plane would be painful, but not necessarily lethal, to 1 HD commoners (the average 2 HD commoner would live, and the average 3 HD commoner would have no chance of dying, assuming a 0 con modifier. Warriors of 1 HD live most of the time, experts slightly less than most of the time, and either of the two at 2 HD won't die.*

*This is all based on the assumption that, in a major city, not having a wall to stop you within 10 feet is very probable.

Tyndmyr
2010-01-01, 09:29 PM
Technically, since a scroll can have multiple spells on it, ya'll are thinking too small. =)

Signmaker
2010-01-01, 09:32 PM
Utility-wise? Disjunction. That is all.

Boci
2010-01-01, 09:53 PM
Locate city bomb does not work, and even if it did, the amount of damage it would do to anybody not standing on a flat plane would be painful, but not necessarily lethal, to 1 HD commoners (the average 2 HD commoner would live, and the average 3 HD commoner would have no chance of dying, assuming a 0 con modifier. Warriors of 1 HD live most of the time, experts slightly less than most of the time, and either of the two at 2 HD won't die.*

*This is all based on the assumption that, in a major city, not having a wall to stop you within 10 feet is very probable.

Could you use black moil lore to add damage? Plus there's always fell draining.

Signmaker
2010-01-01, 09:55 PM
Could you use black moil lore to add damage? Plus there's always fell draining.

While yes, another poster has already noted just as useful of a spell already exists in mass doom form, without the 3D vs 2D debate coming in to play.

Boci
2010-01-01, 09:56 PM
While yes, another poster has already noted just as useful of a spell already exists in mass doom form, without the 3D vs 2D debate coming in to play.

I know, its just more fun to do it with a 1st level spell.

Signmaker
2010-01-01, 09:57 PM
I know, its just more fun to do it with a 1st level spell.

I'd personally disagree, just because of how much baggage comes with the plan. Very few spells cause so much trouble, interpretation-wise.