PDA

View Full Version : BFS , big ... sword character

Soranar
2010-01-01, 07:26 PM
idea for a joke character

play a Goliath : powerful build makes you able to wield weapons 1 category larger than you should be

add the monkey grip feat to wield and even bigger Greatsword

Medium is 2d6, large 3d6, huge 4d6

now I'm not sure how big a huge Greatsword is , but wouldn't it be normal to treat it as a reach weapon?

deuxhero
2010-01-01, 07:29 PM
Don't think Monkey grip works that way.

That said, if you wanted a huge sized two handed sword, and get some strong arms bracers and a huge bastard sword (it's one handed) or better yet a huge sunblade (expedition to castle ravenloft 3000 gold, no frills +1 version). Not sure if they stack though.

ex cathedra
2010-01-01, 07:30 PM
It would be normal to treat it as a normal weapon. It would be a houserule to treat it as a reach weapon.

Monkey grip is a trap, and is a terrible feat. Power Attack serves the same function, but much more effectively.

Stormlock
2010-01-01, 07:33 PM
For a 2 handed weapon like a greatsword, it's the same size as it's category.

Don't forget to add half ogre template and use psionic Expansion for another 3 size categories.

Soranar
2010-01-01, 07:33 PM
no , monkey Grip is great for hilarious (and pointless) characters that must be overcompensating for something

like a ranger dualwielding a greatsword and a halberd with OTWF

so I could go for Gargantuan sword instead? good to know

starwoof
2010-01-01, 07:35 PM
Monkey grip does not work that way. Greatswords and halberds are still two handed weapons.

Siosilvar
2010-01-01, 07:37 PM
Questionable rules use aside,

why not go the whole way? Use a fullblade. Base damage 2d8.

Stormlock
2010-01-01, 07:39 PM
I was wrong about wielding whatever size you want. It also moves from light to one handed to two handed to unwieldable. You could go for a kukri designed for extra large titans though.

Tengu_temp
2010-01-01, 07:40 PM
Titan bloodline. Wield a Gargantuan warhammer without penalty. Well, it's not a sword, but I'm one of the few people who think hammers are cooler anyway.

Stormlock
2010-01-01, 07:45 PM
Better make it a mithral weapon though, so you aren't heavily encumbered jsut holding it.

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-01-01, 07:46 PM
Also, note that Monkey Grip does not stack with powerfull build. Both reference the creature's base size, not the effective size for weapon wielding.

On that note, go Goliath substituted Barbarian 1/Psionic Warrior X for mountain rage and Expansion. Grab strong arm braces and Extra Rage.

Combat starts: use expansion to eat a mushroom, then begin raging. Depending on your level, you could be wielding anywhere from a huge to a colossal weapon.

Alternate plan: Goliath Barb 1/Wu Jen X, as above, but your base size is colossal+ for combat, wielding a colossal++ weapon. Enjoy.

Soranar
2010-01-01, 07:47 PM
hum, a mithral kukri of gargartuan proportions , might do the trick

oh right, mountain rage makes you bigger , add this to a Mario mushroom and you're set (and no wasted feats either)

Keld Denar
2010-01-01, 08:31 PM
Monkey Grip and Powerful Build explicitly don't stack.

I'd go with an Exectioner's Mace as a base weapon. 2d6 like a Greatsword, but bludgeoning. Make it Heavy for 3d6 at medium size, or 4d6 at large size. If you had a Half Giant (XPH) and augemented Expansion, you'd be Huge, treated as Gargantuan. That would mean you have a 12d6 weapon. Since its bludgeoning, you could then affect it with Greater Mighty Wallop from Races of the Dragon. CL20 would get you 5 size increases for 18d6 > 36d6 > 64d6 > 128d6 > 192d6.

lulz....

ex cathedra
2010-01-01, 08:38 PM
While that is more-or-less possible, I believe, you have to receive the Greater Mighty Wallop before you receive the size increases, because of GMW's maximum size limitation. There are a few other ways to increase those dice, as well, though you're far past needing them.

Androgeus
2010-01-01, 08:49 PM
Mountain Rage doesn't allow you to wield a huge weapon. It states the size increase does not stack with the benfits from powerfull build.

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-01-01, 09:18 PM
Mountain Rage doesn't allow you to wield a huge weapon. It states the size increase does not stack with the benfits from powerfull build.

Right, which is why said character would be using Strongarm Bracers, which basically give you the benefits of Monkey Grip sans penalty. You lose Powerful Build, which those means you are able to actually benefit from the bracers.

Bandededed
2010-01-01, 09:18 PM
^: That's why you have monkey grip, silly :smallbiggrin:

Bah, ninja'd