PDA

View Full Version : Dice Storage

Quincunx
2010-01-01, 07:36 PM
Bags, boxes, or other, and more to my point, what's the volume of your dice storage doohickey and/or how wide does the opening have to be for comfortable use? My current dice bag design has the approximate volume of a soda can, which comfortably held two Chessex tubes' worth of dice but without much room to spare, and I'd like to know if that's useful to your play style or if I should be looking into widening the bag. (For extra credit, is there a way to pick out a particular die from a jewelry box without having half the dice hop over the sides as you rummage through them other than keeping a single layer and dealing with the subsequent rattling?)

Saintjebus
2010-01-01, 07:40 PM
I use a Crown royal cloth bag. Opens really wide, drawstring to close, big enough to hold my tone of dice and some of my minis.

Edit: I keep my "normal" set in a smaller bag inside the larger bag, so I don't have to dig through every time I need my favorite d20. I use a simple suede bag from the local gaming shop with a drawstring.

Swordgleam
2010-01-01, 07:43 PM
Similar to the above, I have a large cloth bag, with a few particular sets of dice in smaller bags inside the bag. It works - I can carry a ton of dice, but still get to specific ones quickly.

The Dark Fiddler
2010-01-01, 07:46 PM
Sandwich bag.

Needless to say, I've lost a few dice this year. :smalltongue:

TheCountAlucard
2010-01-01, 07:47 PM
Pound o' dice in a Ziploc baggie. Like Dark Fiddler, I think the number of dice are diminishing. :smalleek:

Mystic Muse
2010-01-01, 07:48 PM
Mine's about the size of a two litre bottle cut about a quarter of the way down and the opening is about that big as well (a cut open two litre bottle)

Siosilvar
2010-01-01, 07:49 PM
Lemonade container. :smallbiggrin: Pour out the dice into the lid.

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-01-01, 07:50 PM
I use a Crown royal cloth bag. Opens really wide, drawstring to close, big enough to hold my tone of dice and some of my minis.

Edit: I keep my "normal" set in a smaller bag inside the larger bag, so I don't have to dig through every time I need my favorite d20. I use a simple suede bag from the local gaming shop with a drawstring.

This is exactly what I do. Crown Royal may be an expensive dice bag, but at least it comes with some alcohol!

I also have some small, red bags from "Santa's Coal" gum, which I plan on editing slightly for some ghost rock-styled dice for Deadlands.

Saintjebus
2010-01-01, 07:51 PM
This is exactly what I do. Crown Royal may be an expensive dice bag, but at least it comes with some alcohol!

That's what you think. The father of one of the guys I used to play with drank Crown Royal, and one session he(my friend) came in with Crown Royal bags for everybody. Sadly, no alcohol was remaining. :smallfrown:

Thurbane
2010-01-01, 08:01 PM
I use an old potato salad tub...:smallbiggrin:

http://i49.tinypic.com/21nnllv.jpg

...it holds the 60 or so dice that I take to the game.

The other guys in my group use:
A velvet pouch
2 old, old leather pencil cases
A Tweety-pie pencil case
A wooden box that looks like a d6 with brass pips and hinges

I keep my spare/old dice (including my Red Box Basic dice) in a teak box.

http://i48.tinypic.com/29p7udh.jpg

Lioness
2010-01-01, 08:58 PM
I use an Mp3 player pouch, and it holds the 25 or so dice I take (7 of them are mini, so it doesn't count)

Before that I used the black cloth bag that came with my first dice set.

Mando Knight
2010-01-01, 09:02 PM

My parents once found a few Crown Royal bags (just the bags) for cheap when my mom was looking for some drawstring cloth bags a few (five? Eight?) years ago. Some of them have been recently repurposed as dice bags. A good seamstress can modify them easily if you want a smaller bag.

Grynning
2010-01-01, 09:11 PM
I tend to buy dice in sets, so I leave them in the plastic boxes they come in and keep them in the outside pocket of my man-purse that I carry my books in. I lose less of them that way.

There's a guy in my group who has a bad dice buying habit. He has so many that he had to buy a big plastic jar (like an iced-tea jar) to keep them in at first. He's since upgraded to a really big clear plastic pitcher (eyeballing it I'd say about a 2 gallon volume) with a hinged pour spout. I think there's well over a thousand dice in that thing. He also has several bowls of dice around his house, sorted by color.

Curmudgeon
2010-01-01, 09:22 PM
I use one of the heavier zipper type plastic bags, but add some duct tape around the edges because that's where most of the stress occurs.

Lioness
2010-01-01, 09:25 PM
Here we go - a picture of what I use

http://www.smiggle.com/SM_navIWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=8&Section_Id=&pcount=&Product_Id=1558269

I have the pink cat one.

Tyndmyr
2010-01-01, 09:27 PM
Large leather dice bag I picked up at the local Ren Faire...it's getting terribly full though, despite holding a couple hundred already.

Im gonna have to upgrade to a tackle box or somethin.

Claudius Maximus
2010-01-01, 09:37 PM
I carry all my dice around in a large ziploc bag, roughly a foot on a side. It's about a third full at the moment, but ever so slowly depletes as dice are lost.

jiriku
2010-01-01, 09:47 PM
I too once used a Crown Royal bag. They are indeed perfectly suited for the task, but my bag has unfortunately disappeared. Currently I have a small wooden treasure chest measuring about 8"x6"x5" to keep them, but they rattle terribly loudly against the wood. Perhaps I'll have the interior padded with something one of these days.

Archetype-
2010-01-01, 09:51 PM
I know of at least two people in my local circle of friends that actually make dice bags, one working with leather and the other with cloth (don't know which one, but it's synthetic and fairly smooth). The local college's Medieval Society also makes dice bags out of aluminium rings (yes, chainmail dice bags).

Me? I use a sock. I have about a pound and a half of dice, and one of my rogue socks can fit it all and still have room for more. It also makes for a nice little blackjack when push comes to shove, though drawing from my pack is fairly... problematic.

That reminds me of a story. Friend of mine is playing a game... dunno which one, but the dice ain't treating him well. Another friend who was playing with him asks if she can see it. He hands it over and she... pops it in her mouth. Obviously, everyone's wondering what the heck she's doing putting the miscreant d20 in her mouth. Then she hands it back and he rolls it. It comes up a nice nat twenty.

Tyndmyr
2010-01-01, 09:53 PM
The local college's Medieval Society also makes dice bags out of aluminium rings (yes, chainmail dice bags).

I need to get around to making me one of those sometime.

As for the die in mouth...thats one of the wierdest die rituals Ive ever heard of.

Dogmantra
2010-01-01, 09:53 PM
I use a clear plastic miniature chest. With a lock.

Unfortunately, I have to provide dice for all my friends, who are too cheap to purchase their own, with the exception of the craziest one who has a set.

Archetype-
2010-01-01, 10:16 PM
I need to get around to making me one of those sometime.

If memory serves, they were fairly reasonably priced. I could've bought one at the last gaming convention the college club held, but I opted for the chainmail hacky sack instead. Not something I'd let the kids whip around, but plenty of fun for its intended purpose. :smallbiggrin:

Oh, and both items are made of awesome. It must be an unspoken/unwritten rule that chainmail makes everything better.

As for the die in mouth...thats one of the wierdest die rituals Ive ever heard of.

The same friend of mine did the same thing with a transparent d12 of mine. One moment she's oohing over the shiny clear die, the next she's popping it in her mouth. I'm a bit more... paranoid about foreign bodily fluid getting on my beloved dodecahedronal random number generators, so I let her keep it. I had (and still have) so many d12s that I think Chessex is trying to tell me to play a greataxe/warmace wielding barbarian/knight/warblade. I also kind of forgot to mention that this friend of mine as about five or six times more dice than I do.

Though maybe I should get her to bless my Warhammer dice. With all the Space Marines and xenos scum in the galaxy, just being human often isn't enough. That and I don't feel like looting multiple boxes of Yahtzee for their dice.

Flickerdart
2010-01-01, 10:19 PM
I use a velvet pouch with drawstrings that came with one of my old earphones. I want a second one for d6es, but now I only have the one.

Tyndmyr
2010-01-01, 10:30 PM
If memory serves, they were fairly reasonably priced. I could've bought one at the last gaming convention the college club held, but I opted for the chainmail hacky sack instead. Not something I'd let the kids whip around, but plenty of fun for its intended purpose. :smallbiggrin:

Oh, and both items are made of awesome. It must be an unspoken/unwritten rule that chainmail makes everything better.

Oh, I've made various chainmail things off and on for quite a few years now. Mostly armor with the odd bits of jewelry, but hey, a dice bag can't be that hard. =)

Yknow what would make it even more badass? Silver/gold. Ah, gaming with bling.

Grommen
2010-01-01, 10:45 PM
Well..I have a big old burlap Lego bag...

Most everyone I know has used a Crown royal bag at some point, and today a friend showed me his new "Captain Morgan" bag.

dangerprawn
2010-01-01, 11:23 PM
Here's my dicebox. It's classy.

http://i804.photobucket.com/albums/yy322/dangerprawn/DSCN0424.jpg

Magdela
2010-01-01, 11:32 PM
I use a bag of Holding. :smallbiggrin:

I don't have that many dice, and they're not even mine at that. We can fit all of our dice into 1 black cloth back that says Dungeons and Dragons on it. It's nice.

Inhuman Bot
2010-01-02, 12:01 AM
I thought I was the only one who used Crown Royal bags!

So yeah, I use them too.

Ormur
2010-01-02, 12:13 AM
My basement is the default setting for sessions so I rarely take my dice with me. I keep them in a handcrafted chessboard along with the pieces that we uses as miniatures.

Nai_Calus
2010-01-02, 02:50 AM
Three plastic tackle organizers, each with four rows of six compartments and a large tub.

The tackle organizers are as follows:

#1:

Loose d4s, d6s, d8s and d12s, sorted by colour - Red, orange, yellow/white, green, blue/grey, purple/black.

#2:

Loose d10s and d20s, same colour sort as #1, one row of 10s and two of 20s, with the 4th row used for the odd sizes, sorted by size.

#3, the one I take with me for gaming:

Currently holds 30 sets of dice, in no particular arrangement.

Tub: Large dice that don't fit in the organizers, dice I have large numbers of(I have 100 translucent purple B&J d8s, for example. This is obviously not going to fit into the purple/black d8 compartment. I have a chainmail d8 that's a good 3 inches across that weighs a good two pounds. Unsurprisingly, this doesn't fit in the blue/grey d8 compartment.) This is overflowing at this point and needs to be replaced by a bigger one.

AirGuitarGod32
2010-01-02, 02:52 AM
I have a box made of duct tape for mine. However, my friend and his over 10,000 dice has a small crate with several locks, considering three dice are gold

Scoot
2010-01-02, 03:04 AM
Been using an old Ammo box from the surplus for awhile.

Looks kinda like this,

http://store.colemans.com/cart/images/2205.gif

It's very loud. :smallannoyed:

belul_kegbreaker
2010-01-02, 12:10 PM
I've been using the apparently standard small bag in the large bag system for my couple pounds of purple dice :smallbiggrin:.

A friend of mine though has so many he uses a couple chest high tool boxes for them. Thankfully we seem to only play at his place so he doesn't have to luge his collection anywhere just to find the maximum lucky dice for the night.

arguskos
2010-01-02, 12:46 PM
I use this:
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/bloodydoves/Photo12-1.jpg

It's a Dragon box I picked up years ago at my FLGS for peanuts. It holds plenty of dice rather comfortably and is easy to transport. I am pleased with it. ^_^

Duos Greanleef
2010-01-02, 12:57 PM
At a convention a few years ago, my college was giving away pillow cases with their name and a fancy design on them.
That pillowcase had Jones Soda spilled on it, staining it quasi permanently this summer at camp.
Also at camp, the same college was giving away shoelaces... for ten year olds. :smallannoyed:
A week or so later, I sat in my room, noticed that I needed a new dice bag, saw the pillowcase and shoestrings, found some thread and a needle, and started sewing.
About fifteen minutes (some cutting and sewing) later, I had a dice bag roughly the size of a soda can and holds about... 50 dice or so. It's double layered for strength and conveniently unique.

Who else has an Indiana Wesleyan University dice bag?
:smile:

dragonfan6490
2010-01-02, 02:17 PM
I'm with the ranks of the Crown Royal folks. But I used to use an old wooden Onyx cigar box that belonged to my grandfather.

Grommen
2010-01-02, 02:24 PM
I'm with the ranks of the Crown Royal folks. But I used to use an old wooden Onyx cigar box that belonged to my grandfather.

Old stuff from the family....Schweet.

RandomNPC
2010-01-02, 03:19 PM
crown royal bag, at least three different ones at different times.

also, i've got a home made goblin. You should be able to see them at dicegoblin.com but it takes about $3 and an hour to make one yourself.

Overshee
2010-01-02, 03:23 PM
Plastic bag :-P

AFS
2010-01-02, 03:36 PM
A simple carboard box you can buy at any hobby store. It is intended for holding cards but I use it for my dice.

Since we are on the subject of dice, anyone use any of the glow in the dark ones. I try to strickly use glow in the dark dice. Over the years I've lost/broken some.

alisbin
2010-01-02, 06:33 PM
I use an old carrying bag from a windbreaker/anorak cause its got a handy clip so its harder to lose. well technically i use that, that holds all my glass counters and the bag that ACTUALLY holds my dice which is the carrying bag for this awesome pair of sunglasses i got years ago on a trip to italy. then there's the gallon jar that i keep all my extra/goofy dice in but thats in storage somewhere... hmmm maybe i'll go look for it.

Studoku
2010-01-02, 06:51 PM
I use my glasses case.

It works, although I have no idea where my glasses are.

Quincunx
2010-01-02, 07:22 PM
Yep, definitely need to make the next dice bag a bit bigger and notably wider, although not up to bag-within-bag dimensions. Lots of cool dice storage devices already mentioned!

Oh yes, if you do sew your own, do something to stop the edges of the fabric fraying and shedding fuzz all over your dice, or line the bag with double fabric (nifty bag, Duos!), or something. Especially velvet. Velvet sheds. A lot.

Ravens_cry
2010-01-02, 07:25 PM
I use a soft camera case. The main dice go into the part where the camera would go, while the d20's go in the film holder.

jokey665
2010-01-02, 07:59 PM
I've got my 'pound o' dice' in the skull bag they came in, I've got "novelty" dice in a smallish and rather plain gray dicebag, and my sets that I actually use when playing/DMing in a nice handmade blue and teal dicebag.

Rhiannon87
2010-01-02, 08:08 PM
I have two (three, on a technicality) dice holders. One of them is this little box (http://dicepool.com/Dice-Accessories/Storage-Boxes/Game-Accessory-Case-zippered-/prod_1550.html). My chrome d6s came in it, and I now use it to hold those, my copper set, and my grey runic set. It doesn't work so great anymore, and I kind of want to find something else to keep my nice metal dice in.

My other dice holder is a suede bag that my aunt gave my for Christmas about seven years ago. It's light brown, zippered, and has a little beaded fringe along the zipper. I got it and was like "uh, thanks, wtf am I gonna-- DICE BAG YES." All my spare dice live in it, the random plastic ones I've collected over the years. It is also now home to a small leather bag containing my synthetic opal dice (http://dicepool.com/Premium-Dice/Stone-Dice/Synthetic-Opal-7-Dwarven-Stonei-12mm-Polyhedral-Die-Set/prod_1472.html) that I got for Christmas. They are sooooo pretty and soooo tiny and I finally get to use them for the first time tomorrow!

Window459
2010-01-02, 11:10 PM
i use an old tea tin that my grandma kept a bunch of d6s in, im also thinking of using my metal case my superman sleep shorts came in lol

Thurbane
2010-01-05, 01:32 AM
The other guys in my group use:
A wooden box that looks like a d6 with brass pips and hinges
I thought I'd get a pic of this at last night's game - I think it's really cool (holds about 12 or so dice):

http://i49.tinypic.com/21lmyxd.jpg