PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Spartan

chrono10487
2010-01-02, 02:27 AM
Spartan

Abilities: Strength is important to the spartan for he revels in physical combat. Constitution is weighed heavily upon for through spartan training came the peak of physical body prowess. Dexterity is seen as a skill in order to hone the shield to be able to move when needed.
Alignment: Any non-chaotic; No man is above spartan law not even the king, this being said all spartans have a strong grasp of law, order, and tradition.
Hit Die: d12

Class Skills
The spartan's class skills are Climb, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty), Knowledge (History), Listen, Martial Lore, Profession (Soldier), Sense Motive, Survival, and Swim.
Skill Points at 1st Level: (4 + Int modifier) x4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier

{table]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special
1st|+1|+2|+0|+2|Aristea 1/day, Fast Movement, Spartan Training (one-handed)
2nd|+2|+3|+0|+3|Armored Hoplite +1, Never Retreat, Never Surrender, Uncanny Dodge
3rd|+3|+3|+1|+3|Tonight We Dine in Hell (immune to fear)
4th|+4|+4|+1|+4|Aristeia 2/day, Spartan Training (adjacent targets)
5th|+5|+4|+1|+4|Improved Uncanny Dodge, Vigilant Defender I
6th|+6/+1|+5|+2|+5|Thicket of Blades
7th|+7/+2|+5|+2|+5|DR 2/-, This is Sparta! (+5)
8th|+8/+3|+6|+2|+6|Aristeia 3/day, Tonight We Dine in Hell (frightful presence)
9th|+9/+4|+6|+3|+6|Impaling Strike
10th|+10/+5|+7|+3|+7|Agile Shield Defense, DR 4/-
11th|+11/+6|+7|+3|+7|Armored Hoplite +3, Believe in Glory!
12th|+12/+6|+8|+4|+8|Devastating Throw (60 ft, +6d6)
13th|+13/+8|+9|+4|+9|DR 6/-, This is Sparta! (+10)
14th|+14/+9|+9|+4|+9|Spartan Vitality, Vigilant Defender II
15th|+15/+10|+9|+5|+9|Aristeia 4/day, Fight in the Shade
16th|+16/+11/+6/+1|+10|+5|+10|Devastating Throw (120 ft, +12d6), DR 8/-
17th|+17/+12/+7/+2|+10|+5|+10|Sure Strike
18th|+18/+13/+8/+3|+11|+6|+11|Return With Your Shield or On It, This is Sparta! (+15)
19th|+19/+14/+9/+4|+11|+6|+11|DR 10/-, Vigilant Defender III
20th|+20/+15/+10/+5|+12|+6|+12|A Beautiful Death, Armored Hoplite +5, Descendent of Hercules
[/table]

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A spartan is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, and with the greatspear. He gains proficiency with light and medium armor, shields, and any one exotic shield.

Spartan Training: A spartan can wield any polearm one-handed. At 4th level, he learns how to threaten adjacent targets with a polearm.

Fast Movement (Ex): A spartan’s land speed is faster than the norm for his race by +10 feet. This benefit applies only when he is not wearing heavy armor or carrying a heavy load.

Aristeia; Excellence of the Warrior (Ex): Spartans were the heroes of war and their training reflected that in the most resolute of ways. Once per encounter, a spartan can enter a state of focus in combat that enhances his skill to legendary levels. While using Aristeia, a spartan gains a +2 competence bonus to attack rolls, damage, and armor class, and a +2 morale bonus on all saves. Aristeia lasts until the end of the encounter, or for five minutes if activated outside of combat. A spartan may prematurely end Aristeia voluntarily. At the end of Aristeia, the spartan becomes fatigued for the duration of the current encounter (unless he is a 18th-level spartan, at which point this limitation no longer applies; see below) For all intents and purposes Aristea qualifies as rage for prestige class requirements and/or feat requirements.

Never Retreat, Never Surrender (Ex): A spartan never backs down, never surrenders, and his loyalty to the law of the spartan warrior is unbreakable. Upon reaching 2nd level, whenever you are affected by a daze, frighten, panic, paralysis, sleep, or stun condition that allows a saving throw, you may reroll the saving throw as an immediate action once per encounter. This ability refreshes whenever you score a hit against an opponent.

Uncanny Dodge (Ex): At 2nd level, a spartan retains his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) even if he is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, he still loses his Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized. If a spartan already has uncanny dodge from a different class, he automatically gains improved uncanny dodge (see below) instead.

Armored Hoplite (Ex): Beginning at 2nd level, the Spartan gains a +1 competence bonus to AC and Reflex saves while wearing light or medium armor and using a shield, and reduces his total armor check penalty by 1. At 11th level, increase the bonus to +3 and reduce his ACP by 2. At 20th level, increase the bonus to +5 and reduce his ACP by 3. If the Spartan is adjacent to an ally who is using a shield, double the competence bonus to AC.

Tonight We Dine In Hell! (Ex): A spartan is taught to never fear death and stare the most perilous opponents down with the raw tenacity only a blind man could muster. Starting at 3rd level the spartan becomes immune to fear of any kind magical or otherwise.

At 8th level the spartan instills fear within his enemies, he gains the frightful presence ability. When ever a spartan attacks enemies within a radius of 30 feet x the spartan's class level are subject to the effect if they have fewer HD than the spartan. A potentially affected enemy that succeeds on a Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 spartan's character level + spartan's Cha modifier) becomes immune to Tonight We Dine in Hell! for 24 hours. On a failure an enemy with 4 or less HD become panicked for 4d6 rounds and those with 5 or more HD become shaken for 4d6 rounds. Spartans ignore the frightful presence of other spartans.

Improved Uncanny Dodge (Ex): At 5th level and higher, a spartan can no longer be flanked. This defense denies a rogue the ability to sneak attack the spartan by flanking him, unless the attacker has at least four more rogue levels than the target has spartan levels. If a character already has uncanny dodge (see above) from a second class, the levels from the classes that grant uncanny dodge stack to determine the minimum level a rogue must be to flank the character.

Vigilant Defender (Ex):Starting at 5th level, you stand your ground against all enemies, warding the spot where you make your stand to prevent foes from slipping past and attacking those you protect. If an opponent attempts to use the Tumble skill to move through your threatened area or your space without provoking attacks of opportunity, the Tumble check DC to avoid your attacks of opportunity increases by an amount equal to your class level.

A spartan of 14th level or higher can make attacks of opportunity even against foes who have cover or concealment, although he must know that his foe is there. If the foe has cover, the spartan makes a Strength check to break it (including bonuses from This is Sparta). If the check is successful, the obstacle is destroyed and the spartan makes his opportunity attack normally. If the check fails, the obstacle remains intact and the spartan's opportunity attack is wasted. If the foe has concealment, the spartan attacks with a miss chance as normal.

A spartan of 18th level or higher maintains such an aggressive control of his threatened space that spellcasters cannot cast defensively while he threatens them, although they are aware that they cannot do so.

Thicket of Blades (Ex): At 6th level, a spartan learns the thicket of blades martial stance, even if he does not meet the prerequisites for it. He cannot use this stance while wearing heavy armor or carrying a heavy load.

This Is Sparta! (Ex): Starting at 7th level a spartan revels in using his strength to solve matters. He gains a +5 bonus all checks to break objects through sudden strength, as well as on bull rush attempts. This bonus increases to a +10 at 13th level, and +15 at 18th level.

Damage Reduction (Ex): At 7th level, a spartan gains Damage Reduction. Subtract 2 from the damage the spartan takes each time he is dealt damage from a weapon or a natural attack. At 10th level, and every three spartan levels thereafter (13th, 16th, and 19th level), this damage reduction rises by 2 points. Damage reduction can reduce damage to 0 but not below 0.

Impaling Strike (Ex): At 9th level a spartan strikes with such force that his attacks penetrate his first target and hit any target directly behind the first within reach. Use the same attack roll for the second target that hit the first. This ability functions only when the spartan is using a polearm that deals piercing damage.

Agile Shield Defense (Ex): At 10th level a spartan adds his shield bonus to Armor Class to his touch AC (but not his incorporeal touch AC).

Believe In Glory! (Ex): At 11th level, a spartan who makes a full attack gains an additional attack per round at his highest base attack bonus while in Aristeia. This additional attack is not cumulative with haste or other similar effects which grant an additional attack on a full attack. Additionally, a spartan's competence bonuses to attack, damage, and armor class each increase to +3 while in Aristeia, and his morale bonus on Will saves increases to +3.

Devastating Throw (Ex): As a standard action, a spartan of 12th level or greater can throw any throwing weapon with such force that it crushes his enemies. He automatically strikes all creatures in a 60-foot line originating from his square, dealing normal weapon damage + 6d6 bonus damage (Reflex half, DC 10 + 1/2 Spartan level + Str modifier). At 16th level the range improves to 120 feet and the damage bonus to +12d6.

Spartan Vitality (Ex): At 14th level, while in Aristeia, the spartan is an unstoppable force of myth. He becomes immune to all death effects and functions normally at negative hit points. These benefits are lost when he exits his Aristeia.

Fight in the Shade (Ex): At 15th level, as an immediate action, a Spartan with a tower shield can momentarily duck behind the shield to gain total cover against a single attack.

Sure strike (Ex): Once per round, if a spartan of 17th level or higher rolls high enough to hit his opponent's AC but misses him anyway (e.g. due to concealment or a mirror image spell), he gains an immediate extra attack at the same attack bonus against that same opponent.

Return With Your Shield or On It (Ex): At 18th level and higher, a spartan no longer becomes fatigued at the end of his Aristea.

A Beautiful Death (Ex): At 20th level, a spartan is fully prepared for the glorious death that awaits him. Once per day, when he enters negative hit points, the spartan can immediately expend one of his daily uses of Aristeia (this does not require an action). He enters Aristeia, if he is not already in it. He gains immunity to fatigue and exhaustion and cannot die from hit point loss while his Aristeia lasts. He may not use this ability if he has no uses of Aristeia remaining, or if his has already dismissed his Aristeia during the current encounter.

Descendant of Hercules (Ex): At 20th level, a spartan under the effect of a magical compulsion, even a powerful one such as dominate monster, cannot be forced to attack his allies while he is in Aristeia. The caster can still force him to take other actions within the spell's description, but he cannot be made to harm his allies. Further, while in Aristeia a spartan’s competence bonuses to attack, damage, and armor class during Aristeia each increase to +4, and his morale bonus on Will saves increases to +4.

Dienekes
2010-01-02, 02:38 AM
Firstly, let me say my amusement that a society that prided itself on it's control and discipline even in battle's main ability is the rage track.

secondly, Spartan law is worded oddly and may be too powerful at level 1.

cheezewizz2000
2010-01-02, 02:54 AM
Firstly, let me say my amusement that a society that prided itself on it's control and discipline even in battle's main ability is the rage track.

That's easily re-fluffed as say, combat focus. Perhaps swap the Con bonus for a dex bonus, remove the AC penalty and the penalty to will saves.

Altair_the_Vexed
2010-01-02, 05:30 AM
I'd suggest a code of conduct to go with Spartan Law - if you break those rules, you lose certain benefits (at least those that rely on the cooperation of your fellow Spartans, like Phalanx Fighter).

Also, the strength of Spartans (both in the comic / movie and history) was in their formation fighting - without other Spartans or similarly trained fighters to work with, they're just a tough guy with a shield and spear.
I think you should make more of the class features work with the party - maybe the defender features should gain bonuses from the Spartan standing within reach of another melee ally..?

GallóglachMaxim
2010-01-02, 10:57 PM
The last two class features still say 'Barbarian'.

Looks like an interesting cooperative 'barbarianish' character, something I haven't seen before.

Temotei
2010-01-02, 10:59 PM
I'll have to look at this. I'm playing God of War right now, so I'm in a barbarian/fighter type of mood. :smallbiggrin:

FlamingKobold
2010-01-03, 12:17 AM
I like the class a lot. It combines barbarian power with discipline and precision. That said, I agree with previous posters that "Rage" is not a good name for the ability. The spartans went into a kind of battle mode, where they were extremely focused on what they were doing, rather than flailing about and swinging thing really hard.

Helinon
2010-01-03, 12:20 AM
Instead of Rage how about calling it Battle Frenzy?

Temotei
2010-01-03, 12:21 AM
Instead of Rage how about calling it Battle Frenzy?

Because it's not really a frenzy they're going into. It's a heightened sense of focus.

Origomar
2010-01-03, 12:23 AM
i like it. doesnt seem too overpowered and doesnt seem like it would be awful.

Admiral Squish
2010-01-03, 12:30 AM
Frenzy is still too wild for this. I think battle clarity or combat focus would be best. It needs to be more different from rage. Like, +2 to all saves, +4 AC +2 to damage and gains the effects of diehard? Something like that.

FlamingKobold
2010-01-03, 12:42 AM
I had in mind:

Battle Focus (Ex): A spartan can enter a state of deep focus during combat a certain number of times per day. While using Battle Focus, a spartan gains a +4 bonus to attack rolls and armor class, a +2 bonus to damage, and a +2 Competence(?) bonus on all saves. Additionally, the character gains the benefit of the diehard feat. A spartan can use Battle Focus for a number of rounds equal to 4 + the character’s constitution modifier. A spartan may prematurely end combat focus voluntarily. At the end of combat focus, the spartan loses the bonuses granted and becomes fatigued (–2 penalty to Strength, –2 penalty to Dexterity, can’t charge or run) for the duration of the current encounter (unless he is a 18th-level spartan, at which point this limitation no longer applies; see below)

I'm kind of unsure on a few things.

1. The precise bonuses. I think that they're fitting, though.
2. The duration.
3. The lack of penalties... suggestions?
4. The inclusion of the diehard feat.

Origomar
2010-01-03, 01:00 AM
I find that trying to figure out what to name something is half the battle :-/

chrono10487
2010-01-03, 01:02 AM
There I decided that the name Delusions of Grandeur fit the bill properly because Spartans have throughout history stared at impossible odds with the truth of loss evident and yet still believed they would rise above it no matter what.

Admiral Squish
2010-01-03, 01:10 AM
There I decided that the name Delusions of Grandeur fit the bill properly because Spartans have throughout history stared at impossible odds with the truth of loss evident and yet still believed they would rise above it no matter what.

"If it's stupid but it works, it's not stupid"

Dienekes
2010-01-03, 02:00 AM

Reminds me of a bit of history.

When Alexander the Great's father, Philip II was going on his conquest of Greece the story goes that he confronted a man of Sparta. He gave warning to them (for he hated the Spartans above all others) "You are advised to submit, for if I must bring my armies I will burn your land, slay you're people, and raze your cities."
The Spartan responded. "If."

Sparta was never conquered by Philip.

And this brings up a second point. Why is there no ability

Laconic Speak= Spartan's may use their Strength modifier instead of their Charisma for Intimidation and Diplomacy. (Or some variation thereof)

Altair_the_Vexed
2010-01-03, 05:25 AM
I had in mind:

Combat focus (Ex): A spartan can enter a state of deep focus during combat a certain number of times per day. While using Combat Focus, a spartan gains a +4 bonus to attack rolls and armor class, a +2 bonus to damage, and a +2 Competence(?) bonus on all saves. Additionally, the character gains the benefit of the diehard feat. A spartan can use Combat Focus for a number of rounds equal to 4 + the character’s constitution modifier. A spartan may prematurely end combat focus voluntarily. At the end of combat focus, the spartan loses the bonuses granted and becomes fatigued (–2 penalty to Strength, –2 penalty to Dexterity, can’t charge or run) for the duration of the current encounter (unless he is a 18th-level spartan, at which point this limitation no longer applies; see below)

I'm kind of unsure on a few things.

1. The precise bonuses. I think that they're fitting, though.
2. The duration.
3. The lack of penalties... suggestions?
4. The inclusion of the diehard feat.

The bonus to saves from Combat Focus should be a morale bonus.

You should note that the duration is modified by the new Constitution modifier (or the original one, if that's what you want).

I really think you should tie in the bonuses of the class features to cooperation with other melee characters in the party - that will limit the power of the class, sure, but it contains all the penalties you need right there.

onthetown
2010-01-03, 09:03 AM
Is immune to fear at level 3 a little too much?

But I love this... a lot... You seem to have kept the flavour of the spartans. I do agree with the "rage" bit, though. They may have been enraged, but it was much more controlled than the average D&D barbarian's rage.

Ouranos
2010-01-03, 10:00 AM
There was another story i once heard about Spartan "dpilomacy" that may fit well with the previous idea. Sparta was once fully under siege, and the attacking army's general went out to negotiate with the Spartan king on his walls. When told that his options were to surrender or die, and asked what he would choose, his answer was simply "Neither."

Athaniar
2010-01-03, 10:04 AM
I really like this, and it can easily be refluffed to fit other settings. Nice work.

Admiral Squish
2010-01-03, 10:35 AM
There was another story i once heard about Spartan "dpilomacy" that may fit well with the previous idea. Sparta was once fully under siege, and the attacking army's general went out to negotiate with the Spartan king on his walls. When told that his options were to surrender or die, and asked what he would choose, his answer was simply "Neither."

Sparta had no walls. When questioned on this, a spartan king once said 'every spartan is a brick int he wall of sparta'. So, were thay having this conversation standing on solider's shoulders?

Roderick_BR
2010-01-03, 10:45 AM
I find that trying to figure out what to name something is half the battle :-/
Oh, so that's the other half?

It's an interesting class, though I'd simply use a warblade for spartans *hides behing a tower shield*

There's already a feat named combat focus. Maybe just have it as battle focus or something, just to avoid confusion.

Dienekes
2010-01-03, 04:27 PM
Oh, so that's the other half?

It's an interesting class, though I'd simply use a warblade for spartans *hides behing a tower shield*

There's already a feat named combat focus. Maybe just have it as battle focus or something, just to avoid confusion.

I'd assume the other half is making the mechanics work.

The problem with an actual Spartan (or Lakedaemonian if you're a history snob like myself) being a warblade is that it doesn't have the feel of the Spartan as a soldier that I think many would like, instead having the Spartan as just another lone fighting guy. Which admittedly probably works better for dnd style campaigning, otherwise we have abilities such as the Phalanx Fighter shown here, which is really worthless on the standard 4 party team, or even if you are surrounded by more optimized melee fighters.

Now some abilities I'd suggest. Spartan training allows the greatspear to attack adjacent enemies at a -2 penalty or remove the penalty to attack from tower shields.

FlamingKobold
2010-01-03, 04:42 PM
Altair: Why a morale bonus? I thought of it, and i couldn't figure out fluff-wise it could make sense. They get the bonus because they're super-focused on what they're doing, not because they're happy.

What's with the con mod thing you suggested? That's okay for rage, but the abilty I made doesn't get a bonus to constitution...

Name changed to battle focus. Editing it now.

Maybe Laconic Speaking (Ex): The Spartan may add their Strength modifier instead of their charisma modifier to Diplomacy and Intimidate checks.

Edit: Delusions of grandeur is, IMO, a bad name for the ability. It makes it sound like the spartans were just trying to be awesome and were really narcissistic, rather than conveying that they were super awesome in battle. The reason they fought better is because of vigilance, effort and focus. Not because they thought they were cool.

Admiral Squish
2010-01-03, 07:31 PM
Altair: Why a morale bonus? I thought of it, and i couldn't figure out fluff-wise it could make sense. They get the bonus because they're super-focused on what they're doing, not because they're happy.

What's with the con mod thing you suggested? That's okay for rage, but the abilty I made doesn't get a bonus to constitution...

Name changed to battle focus. Editing it now.

Maybe Laconic Speaking (Ex): The Spartan may add their Strength modifier instead of their charisma modifier to Diplomacy and Intimidate checks.

Edit: Delusions of grandeur is, IMO, a bad name for the ability. It makes it sound like the spartans were just trying to be awesome and were really narcissistic, rather than conveying that they were super awesome in battle. The reason they fought better is because of vigilance, effort and focus. Not because they thought they were cool.

Fait in one's self and one's allies is a VERY powerful factor. So, thinking you're cool actually does help in a battle.

jiriku
2010-01-04, 02:28 PM
Spartan

Abilities: Strength is important to the spartan for he revels in physical combat. Constitution is weighed heavily upon for through spartan training came the peak of physical body prowess. Dexterity is seen as a skill in order to hone the shield to be able to move when needed.
Alignment: Lawful Neutral; No man is above spartan law not even the king, this being said all spartans have a strong grasp of law, order, and tradition.

Class Skills
The spartan's class skills are Climb, Craft, Intimidate, Jump, , Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty), Knowledge (Tradition), Listen, Martial Lore, Profession (Soldier), Survival, and Swim.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c207/Zexion_Of_Twilight/untitled-1.jpg

Spartan Training: A spartan has spent their entire life training with a particular set of weapons that represents them as a Hoplite of legendary caliber. A spartan is proficient in the Greatspear which they can wield one handed which is otherwise impossible to do for a medium character. Simple and martial weapons, Light and Medium armor, shields and tower shields (the tower shield proficiency may be given up for the extreme shield proficiency).

Fast Movement (Ex): A spartan’s land speed is faster than the norm for his race by +10 feet. This benefit applies only when he is wearing no armor, light armor, or medium armor and not carrying a heavy load. Apply this bonus before modifying the barbarian’s speed because of any load carried or armor worn.

Spartan Law (Ex): A spartan never backs down, never surrenders, and his loyalty to the law of the spartan warrior is unbreakable. Whenever you are affected by a daze, frighten, panic, paralysis, sleep, or stun condition that allows a saving throw, you may attempt a new save to remove the effect as a free action once per encounter. This ability refreshes on a successful melee attack roll.

Delusions of Grandeur (Ex): Even in the face of hundreds of thousands spartans still believe in the victory at hand. A spartan can enter into a powerful state of confidence a certain number of times per day. In this state, a spartan temporarily gains a +4 bonus to Strength, a +4 bonus to Constitution, a +2 morale bonus on Will saves, and gains a +2 to Armor Class so long as another spartan enters this state within 10 feet of you. The increase in Constitution increases the spartan’s hit points by 2 points per level, but these hit points go away at the end of the state when his Constitution score drops back to normal. (These extra hit points are not lost first the way temporary hit points are.) While fighting in this state, a spartan cannot use any Charisma-, Dexterity-, or Intelligence-based skills (except for Balance, Escape Artist, Intimidate, and Ride), the Concentration skill, or any abilities that require patience or concentration, nor can he cast spells or activate magic items that require a command word, a spell trigger (such as a wand), or spell completion (such as a scroll) to function. He can use any feat he has except Combat Expertise, item creation feats, and metamagic feats. A delusion of grandeur lasts for a number of rounds equal to 3 + the character’s (newly improved) Constitution modifier. A spartan may prematurely end this state. At the end of the delusions of grandeur, the spartan loses the delusions of grandeur modifiers and restrictions and becomes fatigued (–2 penalty to Strength, –2 penalty to Dexterity, can’t charge or run) for the duration of the current encounter (unless he is a 18th-level spartan, at which point this limitation no longer applies; see below).

Uncanny Dodge (Ex): At 2nd level, a spartan retains his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) even if he is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, he still loses his Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized. If a spartan already has uncanny dodge from a different class, he automatically gains improved uncanny dodge (see below) instead.

Hoplite (Ex): Starting at 2nd level when wielding any shield a spartan gains an awareness bonus to his AC and reflex saves of +1. This awareness bonus increases to +2 at 11th level and +3 at 20th level.

Bulwark of Defense (ex): When you reach 3rd level, an opponent that begins its turn in your threatened area treats all the squares that you threaten as difficult terrain. Your strict vigilance and active defensive maneuvers force your opponents to move with care.

Tonight We Dine In Hell! (Ex): A spartan is taught to never fear death and stare the most perilous opponents down with the raw tenacity only a blind man could muster. Starting at 3rd level the spartan becomes immune to fear of any kind magical or otherwise. At 8th level the spartan instills fear within his enemies, he gains the frightful presence ability. When ever a spartan attacks enemies within a radius of 30 feet x the spartan's class level are subject to the effect if they have fewer HD than the spartan. A potentially affected enemy that succeeds on a will save (DC 10 + 1/2 spartan's HD + spartan's Cha modifier) remains immune to to that spartan's frightful presence for 24 hours. On a failure an enemy with 4 or less HD become panicked for 4d6 rounds and those with 5 or more HD become shaken for 4d6 rounds. Spartans ignore the frightful presence of other spartans.

Armor Mastery (Medium) (Ex): Starting at 4th level, you are able to wear your armor like a second skin and ignore the standard speed reduction for wearing medium armor.

Improved Uncanny Dodge (Ex): At 5th level and higher, a spartan can no longer be flanked. This defense denies a rogue the ability to sneak attack the spartan by flanking him, unless the attacker has at least four more rogue levels than the target has spartan levels. If a character already has uncanny dodge (see above) from a second class, the character automatically gains improved uncanny dodge instead, and the levels from the classes that grant uncanny dodge stack to determine the minimum level a rogue must be to flank the character.

Vigilant Defender (Ex):Starting at 5th level, you stand your ground against all enemies, warding the spot where you make your stand to prevent foes from slipping past and attacking those you protect. If an opponent attempts to use the Tumble skill to move through your threatened area or your space without provoking attacks of opportunity, the Tumble check DC to avoid your attacks of opportunity increases by an amount equal to your class level.

Shield Ally (Ex): Starting at 6th level, as an immediate action you can opt to absorb part of the damage dealt to an adjacent ally. Each time this ally takes damage from a physical attack before your next turn, you can take half this damage on yourself. The target takes the other half as normal. You can only absorb damage from physical melee attacks and ranged attacks, such as an incoming arrow or a blow from a sword, not from spells and other effects.

Phalanx Fighter (Ex): A spartan is taught to fight in formation along other shielded fighters. When a spartan fights beside at least one ally who uses a shield he gains an additional +1 shield bonus to his AC, if the ally also has the Phalanx Fighter ability the bonus increases to a +2.

This Is Sparta! (Ex): Starting at 7th level a spartan revels in using his strength to solve matters. He gains a +5 bonus all break checks as well as bullrush attempts. At 13th level this bonus increases to a +10.

Damage Reduction (Ex): At 7th level, a spartan gains Damage Reduction. Subtract 2 from the damage the spartan takes each time he is dealt damage from a weapon or a natural attack. At 10th level, and every three spartan levels thereafter (13th, 16th, and 19th level), this damage reduction rises by 2 points. Damage reduction can reduce damage to 0 but not below 0.

Armor Specialization (Medium) (Ex): The spartan is extensively trained in medium armor and knows how to use it to it's fullest capability. When you are wearing medium armor, lessen the armor check penalty of the armor by 3 and increase the armor bonus by 2.

Impaling Strike (Ex): A spartan strikes with such force that his attacks penetrate his first target and hits any target directly behind the first within reach. Use the same attack roll for the second target that hit the first. The second target gains a +2 AC bonus against this attack.

Spartan Strength (Ex): A spartan has learned to put so much force behind his signature weapon, the greatspear, that it simply proves that spartans descended from Hercules himself. Increase the Strength modifier when using a greatspear by x3.

Believe In Glory! (Ex): At 11th level, a spartan's bonuses to Strength and Constitution during his delusions of grandeur each increase to +6, and his morale bonus on will saves increases to +3.

Devastating Throw (Ex): Starting at 12th level the spartan can throw a javelin or spear with such force that it crushes his enemies. Regardless of the range on the javelin or spear it can be thrown out to 60 feet for an additional +6d6 damage. This is coupled with the spartan's impaling strike ability but the targets gain a cumulative +2 AC bonus past the first. At 16th level the range improves to 120 feet and the damage to +10d6.

Improved Shield Ally (Ex): At 14th level, your ability to absorb damage increases. Once per round you can absorb all the damage from a single attack directed against an adjacent ally. In addition, you continue to absorb half the damage from other physical attacks on an adjacent ally, if you so choose. You must decide whether to use this ability after the attacker determines that an attack has succeeded but before he rolls damage.

Spartan Longevity (Ex): At 14th level, while raging, the spartan is an unstoppable force of myth. He becomes immune to all death effects, does not fall unconscious at 0 hitpoints, and does not die when hitting -10 instead he dies when he hits negative his entire constitution score. Lastly a spartan can still take full round actions on his turn, he is not limited for being in the negatives. If a spartan comes out of rage past -10 he immediately dies.

Indomitable Will (Ex): While in delusions of grandeur, a spartan of 14th level or higher gains a +4 bonus on Will saves to resist enchantment spells. This bonus stacks with all other modifiers, including the morale bonus on Will saves he also receives during his delusions of grandeur.

Impetuous Endurance(Ex): Starting at 17th level, your fighting spirit enables you to push your body beyond the normal limits of endurance. You no longer automatically fail a saving throw on a roll of 1. You might still fail the save if your result fails to equal or beat the DC.

Return With Your Shield or On It (Ex): At 18th level and higher, a spartan no longer becomes fatigued at the end of his delusions of grandeur.

Descendant of Hercules (Ex): At 20th level, a spartan’s bonuses to Strength and Constitution during his delusion of grandeur each increase to +8, and his morale bonus on Will saves increases to +4.

Overall Impression:
Overall, I like the direction and structure of this class. It has sufficient offensive and defensive abilities to press the attack or defend others, with enough skill points to contribute at least a nominal amount outside of combat.

Positive:

The class has sufficient defensive abilities to tank well, but sufficient offensive abilities to present a credible and dynamic melee threat. With 4 sp/level, it can contribute to non-combat encounters in at least a small way.
It's very true to the theme of spartans from the 300 movie (I like that the only profession a spartan can have is soldier).
The abilities are flavorful and well-named. They also synergize well with one another, and encourage a playstyle that is both aggressive and mindful of the advantages of teamwork.

Negative:

Your chart indicates that Indomitable Will is gained at 15th level, but the description states it is gained at 14th.
You only inconsistently list the level at which the feature is gained when providing detailed descriptions of the class features.
As written, Impaling Strike doesn't work unless you're enlarged, because the spartan won't normally threaten the square behind his opponent.
The class has too many similar-but-unrelated abilities. In actual play, it may be hard to keep track of them. For a DM, building and running an encounter with a mixed group of spartans of differing levels and builds would be very difficult.
Too many of the upper-level abilities are built around the assumption that your chief threats can defended against with high AC and lots of hit points, and that being successful in combat requires only substantial bonuses to hit and damage. This is incorrect. From levels 13-20, you are defending against effects that limit or deny your ability to take actions, and you need to be able to overcome powers that defeat or deny your attack roll.
The class doesn't gain any significant abilities from levels 17-20, just improvements designed to keep existing abilities relevant. If you intend the class to compete with Tier 1, 2, and 3 classes, it needs to acquire powerful abilities that are competive with 9th level spells, 9th level martial maneuvers, and dark invocations.

Recommendations:

Change the alignment requirement to Any Lawful, or even Any non-Chaotic. Some Spartans were despicable and evil. Some were noble and self-sacrificing. Also, you're creating a 20-level class, not a single build, so you want to create room for different players to create different builds and concepts within the class, and allow multi-classing with the many base and prestige classes that require good or evil alignments.
There is no Knowledge (tradition). Replace it with Knowledge (history).
Eliminate Craft from the list of class skills. The only things Spartans know how to craft are walls of corpses!
Level 1 is heavily front-loaded. Many classes would be tempted to dip a level of Spartan in order to get +1 base attack, +2 to two saves, a d12 hit die, spartan training, fast movement, spartan law, and delusions of grandeur 1/day. Consider making Spartan Law initially work 1/day, then later 1/encounter, then even later making it refresh on a critical threat, then yet later making it refresh on any hit. This dramatically reduces the incentive to dip for this ability. You might also shift fast movement up to level 2.
Delusions of Grandeur should include text describing if/how it interacts with rage-related feats and prestige classes. Also, it's customary to limit rage-like abilities to being usable no more than once per encounter.
In your Hoplite feature, there is no such thing as an "awareness bonus", so use a competence bonus instead. Note that competence bonuses to AC apply against touch attacks, which is a nice perk.
For simplicity's sake, combine Hoplite, Phalanx Fighter, and Medium Armor Specialization into one ability, like so:
Armored Hoplite: Beginning at 2nd level, the Spartan gains a +1 competence bonus to AC and Reflex saves while wearing medium armor and using a shield, and reduces his total armor check penalty by 1. At 11th level, increase the bonus to +3 and reduce his ACP by 2. At 20th level, increase the bonus to +5 and reduce his ACP by 3. If the Spartan is adjacent to an ally who is using a shield, double the armor bonus provided.
This is Sparta! should scale to +15 at 18th level. You'll need the increased bonuses to compete with the break DCs of exotic magical walls and doors, and to have a reasonable chance of bull-rushing the gargantuan and colossal monsters encountered at that level.
Instead of making repeated attack rolls and damage rolls with increasing AC modifers when using Devastating Throw (which is a math attack), simply make everyone in the path automatically affected, like a lightning bolt, with a Reflex save for half damage at a DC of 10 + 1/2 Spartan level + Str modifier. This will save you a LOT of math and dice rolls, plus it provides a handy way to hit creatures who are using invisibility/displacement/mirror image to avoid your attacks, and it provides you with a way to target an enemy's Reflex save (which may be weaker than its AC).
Spartan Strength, Indomitable Will, and Impetuous Endurance are all fairly trivial abilities. Consider eliminating all three of them to make room for some new class abilities that would better address the challenges of high-level play. Perhaps you could add some abilities like these:
Fight in the Shade (Ex): As an immediate action, a Spartan with a tower shield can momentarily duck behind the shield to gain total cover against a single attack.
Agile Shield Defense (Ex): A Spartan adds his shield bonus to Armor Class to his touch AC (but not his incorporeal touch AC).
Sure strike (Ex): Once per round, if a Spartan rolls high enough to hit his opponent's AC but misses him anyway (e.g. due to concealment or a mirror image spell), he gains an immediate extra attack at the same attack bonus against that same opponent.

Angry Bob
2010-01-04, 02:43 PM
If I may recommend an alternative name for the rage-like ability?

Aristeia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aristeia)

We call it "in the zone", the greeks called it Aristeia.

Prime32
2010-01-05, 01:52 PM
...and the "horselord" variant barbarian from Dragon magazine called it Battle Ecstasy.

Zom B
2010-01-05, 01:58 PM
Spartan

-100 points for Comic Sans.

chrono10487
2010-01-05, 05:49 PM
Thank you for all your opinions on this subject and i like a few of the ideas i have implemented what I liked most and changed the class appropriately again thank you for your insight I believe I have finally been able to create the spartan dnd forgot ^.^

Zaydos
2010-01-05, 07:41 PM
A few comments and questions:
Hoplite: Is awareness bonus a new type of bonus (and thus effectively untyped) or is it intended to be a more normal type of bonus (insight or dodge) although both of those have disadvantages (insight doesn't stack with some items/spells and dodge is lost when you lose Dex to AC).
Spartan Strength: Greatspear is two-handed correct? I'm guessing it was intended as a choice between their shield abilities and better offense (I like that actually).
Believe in Glory: Might should say the bonus from Aristeia.
Devastating Throw: Does this mean that it ignores max range or range increments as well, for example: throwing a spear [normally ri 10-ft, max range 50-ft] would it be a -12 to hit for 6 range increments or not? I'm guessing the second but would like to double check.
Spartan Longevity & Return With Your Shield On or On It: Refer to Delusions of Grandeur which should be changed to follow the new name.

All in all: I like it, I think it captures the feel of a spartan and ever since growing up watching The Three Hundred Spartans and reading Xenophon's Anabasis (might have mispelled that) I've loved the Spartans and wanted to play a good hoplite character in D&D. So thumbs up there. I will ask exactly what is this supposed to be balanced against? They have many of knight's neatest tricks (Impetuous Endurance, increased shield bonus, bulwark of defense, shield ally) and many of barbarian's (rage-like ability, uncanny dodge, indomitable will, better DR). I'd say that their Aristeia is also better than a barbarian's rage (+2 to +4 better to hit, ranging from -1 to equal damage; with power attack the to hit becomes damage at a 2 or even possibly 3 to one ratio; improves all saves instead of just Will; and an AC boost instead of penalty), although they don't get pounce (except by a 1 level dip into barbarian). I'm guessing they were intended to be stronger than either barbarian or knight, but I was wondering what I should be judging this against as those are the natural two options (and this actually seems almost like a gestalt knight-barbarian).

All in all: good job, I like it. Might use it for an NPC villain at some point. I'd say it's naturally a little stronger than most of the (at least non-ToB) WotC melee classes but then again they tend to be on the weak end. Whether as a DM I'd allow it to a PC would depend upon the make up of the party (if it was a knight, a barbarian, a rogue, and a warmage no; if it was an optimized fighter/barbarian/X/X/psychic warrior, a druid, a wizard/x, and a warblade much more likely). As a PC I'd enjoy playing it.

jiriku
2010-01-06, 12:41 PM
I will ask exactly what is this supposed to be balanced against? They have many of knight's neatest tricks (Impetuous Endurance, increased shield bonus, bulwark of defense, shield ally) and many of barbarian's (rage-like ability, uncanny dodge, indomitable will, better DR). I'd say that their Aristeia is also better than a barbarian's rage (+2 to +4 better to hit, ranging from -1 to equal damage; with power attack the to hit becomes damage at a 2 or even possibly 3 to one ratio; improves all saves instead of just Will; and an AC boost instead of penalty), although they don't get pounce (except by a 1 level dip into barbarian). I'm guessing they were intended to be stronger than either barbarian or knight, but I was wondering what I should be judging this against as those are the natural two options (and this actually seems almost like a gestalt knight-barbarian).

Speaking as chrono's part-time DM, I'd say he's building towards a Tier 3 balance point. The campaigns he plays in feature primarily Tier 1, 2, and 3 PCs, many of whom are heavily optimized, and the game I run features house rules which substantially increase the power and versatility of Tier 4 and Tier 5 classes.

Zaydos
2010-01-06, 03:22 PM
Speaking as chrono's part-time DM, I'd say he's building towards a Tier 3 balance point. The campaigns he plays in feature primarily Tier 1, 2, and 3 PCs, many of whom are heavily optimized, and the game I run features house rules which substantially increase the power and versatility of Tier 4 and Tier 5 classes.

Ah, thought that seemed likely (it was obviously a considered and serious class, yet looked like an almost gestalt so I simply had to wonder what houserules were in effect). I'm not the best with most of the Tier 3 classes so I can't hazard to say more except that it looks like it would be a fun class and does capture the Spartan feel better than anything I've seen.

imp_fireball
2010-01-06, 10:16 PM

And then he threw a spear and killed the general right?

jiriku
2010-01-12, 09:52 PM
Chrono, here is my proposed revision for our Sunday campaign. I've eliminated most of the defensive abilities copied from the knight class and the extra damage abilities you wrote in with your most recent revision, but added the thicket of blades stance and some unique defensive abilities that allow a spartan to function as an effective defender. I've also added several self-buffing features into Aristeia, and the elimination of shield ally has relieved some of the bottlenecking from having too many abilities that activated as an immediate action. As the class was somewhat front-loaded, some of the low-level features have been moved back a level or modified to phase in over several levels.

Alignment: Any non-chaotic; No man is above spartan law not even the king, this being said all spartans have a strong grasp of law, order, and tradition.

Class Skills
The spartan's class skills are Climb, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty), Knowledge (History), Listen, Martial Lore, Profession (Soldier), Sense Motive, Survival, and Swim.

{table]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special
1st|+1|+2|+0|+2|Aristea 1/day, Fast Movement, Spartan Training (one-handed)
2nd|+2|+3|+0|+3|Armored Hoplite +1, Never Retreat, Never Surrender, Uncanny Dodge
3rd|+3|+3|+1|+3|Tonight We Dine in Hell (immune to fear)
4th|+4|+4|+1|+4|Aristeia 2/day, Spartan Training (adjacent targets)
5th|+5|+4|+1|+4|Improved Uncanny Dodge, Vigilant Defender I
6th|+6/+1|+5|+2|+5|Thicket of Blades, Spartan Training (shield bash)
7th|+7/+2|+5|+2|+5|DR 2/-, This is Sparta! (+5)
8th|+8/+3|+6|+2|+6|Aristeia 3/day, Tonight We Dine in Hell (frightful presence)
9th|+9/+4|+6|+3|+6|Impaling Strike
10th|+10/+5|+7|+3|+7|Shield Ward, DR 4/-
11th|+11/+6|+7|+3|+7|Armored Hoplite +3, Believe in Glory!
12th|+12/+6|+8|+4|+8|Devastating Throw (60 ft, +6d6)
13th|+13/+8|+9|+4|+9|DR 6/-, This is Sparta! (+10)
14th|+14/+9|+9|+4|+9|Spartan Vitality, Vigilant Defender II
15th|+15/+10|+9|+5|+9|Aristeia 4/day, Fight in the Shade
16th|+16/+11/+6/+1|+10|+5|+10|Devastating Throw (120 ft, +12d6), DR 8/-
17th|+17/+12/+7/+2|+10|+5|+10|Sure Strike
18th|+18/+13/+8/+3|+11|+6|+11|Return With Your Shield or On It, This is Sparta! (+15)
19th|+19/+14/+9/+4|+11|+6|+11|DR 10/-, Vigilant Defender III
20th|+20/+15/+10/+5|+12|+6|+12|A Beautiful Death, Armored Hoplite +5, Descendent of Hercules
[/table]

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A spartan is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, and with the greatspear. He gains proficiency with light and medium armor, shields, and any one exotic shield.

Spartan Training: A spartan can wield any polearm one-handed. At 4th level, he learns how to threaten adjacent targets with a polearm. At 6th level, he may perform a shield bash even with a tower shield or an extreme shield. Extreme shields deal damage as a heavy shield when used to bash, while tower shields deal damage as a heavy shield of one size category larger.

Fast Movement (Ex): A spartan’s land speed is faster than the norm for his race by +10 feet. This benefit applies only when he is not wearing heavy armor or carrying a heavy load.

Aristeia; Excellence of the Warrior (Ex): Spartans were the heroes of war and their training reflected that in the most resolute of ways. Once per encounter, a spartan can enter a state of focus in combat that enhances his skill to legendary levels. While using Aristeia, a spartan gains a +2 competence bonus to attack rolls, damage, and armor class, and a +2 morale bonus on all saves. Aristeia lasts until the end of the encounter, or for five minutes if activated outside of combat. A spartan may prematurely end Aristeia voluntarily. At the end of Aristeia, the spartan becomes fatigued for the duration of the current encounter (unless he is a 18th-level spartan, at which point this limitation no longer applies; see below) For all intents and purposes Aristea qualifies as rage for prestige class requirements and/or feat requirements.

Never Retreat, Never Surrender (Ex): A spartan never backs down, never surrenders, and his loyalty to the law of the spartan warrior is unbreakable. Upon reaching 2nd level, whenever you are affected by a daze, frighten, panic, paralysis, sleep, or stun condition that allows a saving throw, you may reroll the saving throw as an immediate action once per encounter. This ability refreshes whenever you score a hit against an opponent.

Armored Hoplite (Ex): Beginning at 2nd level, the Spartan gains a +1 competence bonus to AC and Reflex saves while wearing light or medium armor and using a shield, and reduces his total armor check penalty by 1. At 11th level, increase the bonus to +3 and reduce his ACP by 2. At 20th level, increase the bonus to +5 and reduce his ACP by 3. If the Spartan is adjacent to an ally who is using a shield, double the competence bonus to AC.

Tonight We Dine In Hell! (Ex): A spartan is taught to never fear death and stare the most perilous opponents down with the raw tenacity only a blind man could muster. Starting at 3rd level the spartan becomes immune to fear of any kind magical or otherwise.

At 8th level the spartan instills fear within his enemies, he gains the frightful presence ability. When ever a spartan attacks enemies within a radius of 30 feet x the spartan's class level are subject to the effect if they have fewer HD than the spartan. A potentially affected enemy that succeeds on a Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 spartan's character level + spartan's Cha modifier) becomes immune to Tonight We Dine in Hell! for 24 hours. On a failure an enemy with 4 or less HD become panicked for 4d6 rounds and those with 5 or more HD become shaken for 4d6 rounds. Spartans ignore the frightful presence of other spartans.

Improved Uncanny Dodge (Ex): At 5th level and higher, a spartan can no longer be flanked. This defense denies a rogue the ability to sneak attack the spartan by flanking him, unless the attacker has at least four more rogue levels than the target has spartan levels. If a character already has uncanny dodge (see above) from a second class, the levels from the classes that grant uncanny dodge stack to determine the minimum level a rogue must be to flank the character.

A spartan of 14th level or higher can make attacks of opportunity even against foes who have cover or concealment, although he must know that his foe is there. If the foe has cover, the spartan makes a Strength check to break it (including bonuses from This is Sparta). If the check is successful, the obstacle is destroyed and the spartan makes his opportunity attack normally. If the check fails, the obstacle remains intact and the spartan's opportunity attack is wasted. If the foe has concealment, the spartan attacks with a miss chance as normal.

A spartan of 18th level or higher maintains such an aggressive control of his threatened space that spellcasters cannot cast defensively while he threatens them, although they are aware that they cannot do so.

Thicket of Blades (Ex): At 6th level, a spartan learns the thicket of blades martial stance, even if he does not meet the prerequisites for it. He cannot use this stance while wearing heavy armor or carrying a heavy load.

This Is Sparta! (Ex): Starting at 7th level a spartan revels in using his strength to solve matters. He gains a +5 bonus all checks to break objects through sudden strength, as well as on bull rush attempts. This bonus increases to a +10 at 13th level, and +15 at 18th level.

Impaling Strike (Ex): At 9th level a spartan strikes with such force that his attacks penetrate his first target and skewers a second target within reach. He gains Great Cleave as a bonus feat, even if he does not meet the prerequisites for it. If he already has Great Cleave, he may instead choose a fighter bonus feat for which he qualifies.

Shield Ward: At 10th level a spartan gains Shield Ward as a bonus feat, even if he does not meet the prerequisites. If he already has Shield Ward, he may instead choose a fighter bonus feat for which he qualifies.

Believe In Glory! (Ex): At 11th level, a spartan who makes a full attack gains an additional attack per round at his highest base attack bonus while in Aristeia. This additional attack is not cumulative with haste or other similar effects which grant an additional attack on a full attack. Additionally, a spartan's competence bonuses to attack, damage, and armor class each increase to +3 while in Aristeia, and his morale bonus on Will saves increases to +3.

Devastating Throw (Ex): As a standard action, a spartan of 12th level or greater can throw any throwing weapon with such force that it crushes his enemies. He automatically strikes all creatures in a 60-foot line originating from his square, dealing normal weapon damage + 6d6 bonus damage (Reflex half, DC 10 + 1/2 Spartan level + Str modifier). At 16th level the range improves to 120 feet and the damage bonus to +12d6.

Spartan Vitality (Ex): At 14th level, while in Aristeia, the spartan is an unstoppable force of myth. He becomes immune to all death effects and functions normally at negative hit points. These benefits are lost when he exits his Aristeia.

Fight in the Shade (Ex): At 15th level, as an immediate action, a Spartan with a tower shield or extreme shield can momentarily duck behind the shield to gain total cover against a single attack. If the attack deals damage, the shield takes the damage instead.

Sure strike (Ex): Once per round, if a spartan of 17th level or higher rolls high enough to hit his opponent's AC but misses him anyway (e.g. due to concealment or a mirror image spell), he gains an immediate extra attack at the same attack bonus against that same opponent.

Return With Your Shield or On It (Ex): At 18th level and higher, a spartan no longer becomes fatigued at the end of his Aristea.

A Beautiful Death (Ex): At 20th level, a spartan is fully prepared for the glorious death that awaits him. Once per day, when he enters negative hit points, the spartan can immediately expend one of his daily uses of Aristeia (this does not require an action). He enters Aristeia, if he is not already in it. He gains immunity to fatigue and exhaustion and cannot die from hit point loss while his Aristeia lasts. He may not use this ability if he has no uses of Aristeia remaining, or if his has already dismissed his Aristeia during the current encounter.

Descendant of Hercules (Ex): At 20th level, a spartan under the effect of a magical compulsion, even a powerful one such as dominate monster, cannot be forced to attack his allies while he is in Aristeia. The caster can still force him to take other actions within the spell's description, but he cannot be made to harm his allies. Further, while in Aristeia a spartan’s competence bonuses to attack, damage, and armor class during Aristeia each increase to +4, and his morale bonus on Will saves increases to +4.