PDA

View Full Version : The ethical implications of Elan founding the cult of Banjo.

Sewblon
2010-01-02, 05:40 AM
I mentioned this in another thread, but no one replied. http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0080.html Doesn't Elan trying to smite Roy reveal that he is a little bit evil? I mean his thought process went "Banjo can't smite Roy enough. I will recruit more followers so that he can smite Roy effectively."

Zerter
2010-01-02, 05:51 AM
Chaotic smite X_X.

Sewblon
2010-01-02, 06:07 AM
Chaotic smite X_X. Elaborate.

Surfing HalfOrc
2010-01-02, 06:15 AM
Elaborate.

Smite is not limited to Smite Evil or Smite Good. You can also Smite Lawful or Smite Chaotic if your patron god is of the appropriate alignment. As Banjo is Chaotic-Good, or possibly Chaotic Neutral, he can grant Smite Lawful to his clerics and paladins. And as a god, he can do his own smiting if he doesn't have a cleric or paladin handy...

*Probably Ninja'd...

WOOT! I din't get ninja'd!

Sewblon
2010-01-02, 06:27 AM
Smite is not limited to Smite Evil or Smite Good. You can also Smite Lawful or Smite Chaotic if your patron god is of the appropriate alignment. As Banjo is Chaotic-Good, or possibly Chaotic Neutral, he can grant Smite Lawful to his clerics and paladins. And as a god, he can do his own smiting if he doesn't have a cleric or paladin handy...

*Probably Ninja'd...

WOOT! I din't get ninja'd! I wasn't referring to what form of smiting it was. Isn't the actual act of attempting to smite your Lawful Good employer over a petty insult evil in its own right? Besides, that looked more like Banjo's Lightning than a literal alignment based smiting.

Turkish Delight
2010-01-02, 08:15 AM
Pfftt. One smite isn't going to hurt Roy much, whether it's Smite Law or whatever else. He's the Fighter; plenty of hit points.

So had it actually happened, it would have at worst been a Belkar vs. V style prank. And, in the meantime, would have given Roy a newfound respect for the faith.

TriForce
2010-01-02, 08:20 AM
A "morally justified" clone if i ever saw one...

perhaps thats why nobody responded :smallbiggrin: people are not really interested in discussing the obvious :smalltongue:

DBJack
2010-01-02, 12:22 PM
It was more of a prank than attacking Roy. Pranks are chaotic. And the Deva didn't complain much about Roy's pranks (although it's unclear if that's because of the pranks themselves or because he was just a kid)

Neopolis
2010-01-02, 03:03 PM
A "morally justified" clone if i ever saw one...

perhaps thats why nobody responded :smallbiggrin: people are not really interested in discussing the obvious :smalltongue:
"Was Banjo morally justified?" Things are going downhill...:smallbiggrin:

Moogleking
2010-01-02, 03:39 PM
No, no, no guys this about him being ethically justified.

Totally different!

Lord Thurlvin
2010-01-02, 03:44 PM
I mentioned this in another thread, but no one replied. http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0080.html Doesn't Elan trying to smite Roy reveal that he is a little bit evil? I mean his thought process went "Banjo can't smite Roy enough. I will recruit more followers so that he can smite Roy effectively."

Truly, this casts a new light on Elan's characterization. I will never view him in the same way again.

goodyarn
2010-01-02, 04:28 PM
We of the Reformed Church of Banjo interpret this episode not as Elan the prophet acting on his own, but rather he is doing Banjo's will by exacting due punishment on one who mocked Banjo.

Please also note that Banjo did not merely "try to smite" Roy, but in fact DID smite him with all of his googly-eyed wrath.

silversaraph
2010-01-02, 06:20 PM
Rule of funny > rule of alignments.

Surfing HalfOrc
2010-01-03, 05:44 AM
I wasn't referring to what form of smiting it was. Isn't the actual act of attempting to smite your Lawful Good employer over a petty insult evil in its own right? Besides, that looked more like Banjo's Lightning than a literal alignment based smiting.

That little baby lightning bolt evil? Nah, I'm sticking with prank (Chaotic) level of damage, even less than a joy-buzzer. It would take a LOT more to elevate this little thread to the headach inducing levels of "Morally Justfied."

Your Flame Bait has FAILED. Better luck next time. :smallamused:

Spiky
2010-01-03, 10:30 PM
I'm confused. The title asks if founding a religion is ethical, but the posting is about a particular smiting.

My confusion is on the forum rules. Are you able to troll your own thread? In the original post?!?

Sewblon
2010-01-03, 11:47 PM
I'm confused. The title asks if founding a religion is ethical, but the posting is about a particular smiting.

My confusion is on the forum rules. Are you able to troll your own thread? In the original post?!? I couldn't think of anything else to call it at the time.

Kumo
2010-01-03, 11:51 PM
I wasn't referring to what form of smiting it was. Isn't the actual act of attempting to smite your Lawful Good employer over a petty insult evil in its own right? Besides, that looked more like Banjo's Lightning than a literal alignment based smiting.

The point of a GOD smiting someone is to destroy them.

The point of a CLERIC smiting is to prove the god exists. It'll sting but it won't neccesarily kill them. Elan probably just intended for it to hurt a lot, since he thinks Banjo really is a god.

Sewblon
2010-01-04, 12:03 AM
The point of a GOD smiting someone is to destroy them.

The point of a CLERIC smiting is to prove the god exists. It'll sting but it won't neccesarily kill them. Elan probably just intended for it to hurt a lot, since he thinks Banjo really is a god.

Thanks, I thought I would never get a serious answer that made sense.

Surfing HalfOrc
2010-01-04, 06:36 AM
Thanks, I thought I would never get a serious answer that made sense.

Well, people like to make sure it's a serious question first. After months of the migrane inducing "Morally Justified" threads, expect people to be a bit cautious answering loaded questions like that.

As said before, Smites come in two forms or levels: Those inflicted by the priests and holy (or unholy) warriors of the god or goddess, and those inflicted by the diety itself. Since Banjo was just getting started, his power level is very low, and his cleric or holy warriors' level would be even lower.

The intent also depends upon the diety; a Major Diety expects prompt and unquestioning obedience, but a diety as minor as Banjo is content with a prank in lieu of a true smite.

B.I.T.T.
2010-01-04, 03:47 PM
Well I could think of a well thought out opinion based on facts, reasonable assumptions and links to the comics as evidence. Or I could just say "Just repete to yourself it's just a comic, I should really just relaxe." Think I'll pick option B.