PDA

View Full Version : Wall of Thorns

Radiun
2010-01-02, 08:55 AM
What could you do against a Wall of Thorns (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/wallOfThorns.htm) circa level 9?

Presume you have a 4 person party of your choosing going against a druid who is also level 9.

I ask because it has really been irking my DM when he doesn't have Dispel Magic handy (not to mention that I always prepare it with Mass Surefooted Stride so my party simply wades in and cleans up as I sip herbal tea in the sidelines), so I would like to send him some suggestions besides sending more druids at us.

Pharaoh's Fist
2010-01-02, 08:58 AM
Fire. And lots of it.

Radiun
2010-01-02, 09:02 AM
Fire. And lots of it.

"Normal fire cannot harm the barrier, but magical fire burns it away in 10 minutes."
Fights are usually over before 100 rounds :-P

Pharaoh's Fist
2010-01-02, 09:07 AM
It may take less than 10 minutes to burn a passage through the wall.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-01-02, 09:09 AM
Wall of Thorns is probably one of the most effective barriers in the game. You can make it so thick that it mimics a Web spell, and is incredibly resilient to destruction apart from Dispel Magic. There are a few ways to handle it:

Fly over it, go around it, burrow under it, Meld into Stone around it, etc. This is probably the easiest to do when it works but the least likely to work given the layout of the terrain.

It doesn't specify that it blocks line of sight or line of effect, therefore it doesn't. You can cast spells and make ranged attacks through the wall, though targets within and on the other side would probably have both cover and concealment. No matter how thick the wall is, you can still attack and cast spells through it. Enemies with spells that do not require an attack roll can continue using those spells through the wall completely unhindered.

A single Baleful Transposition spell can swap one of the opponents places with one of the PCs, so one PC will be on the side full of opponents and probably get destroyed, while one unlucky opponent will be serving as a distraction to the rest of the party. This will probably mean disaster for the PC targeted, the most likely course of action being for the caster of the wall to dismiss it so that he can be rescued. Hopefully someone with a low Will save will be targeted by the Baleful Transposition.

Shardan
2010-01-03, 12:07 AM
Control Plants
Incorpreal/vaporpous/tunneling/phasing/etc
Illusionary targets
plant door?

olentu
2010-01-03, 12:11 AM
Unfortunately for the control plants wall of thorns is not a plant.

OracleofWuffing
2010-01-03, 12:14 AM
Fly over it.

Then burn it.
Then burn the druid.
Then burn both for good measure.

Then burn the fighter.

Split the money with the rogue and cleric.

Go to town.

Burn the town.

Edit: find some natural critters, start torturing them. Get a mayor to start a city-building project through the habitats of local endangered animals. Druid's gonna fall sometime.

Temotei
2010-01-03, 12:29 AM
Fly over it.

Then burn it.
Then burn the druid.
Then burn both for good measure.

Then burn the fighter.

Go to town.

Burn the town.

Go to town.

Burn the town.

Split the money

Split...money

...:smalleek:

OracleofWuffing
2010-01-03, 12:40 AM
Well, I can't count on the ROGUE to handle money, the Cleric's just going to throw it away at the nearest temple (probably to resurrect the Fighter, again), the Fighter's dead, and the Druid is dead and was probably broke in the first place (oh and was kinda supposed to be my enemy).

Plus, y'know, false sense of security and companionship. And all them coins are heavy until they hit the Magic Mart.

Kelb_Panthera
2010-01-03, 02:06 AM
Party wizard casts wall of stone shaped as a bridge across the barrier. Fabricate to reshape a ten foot section into a passage. Passwall may get you past it. Jump, a fly speed, a burrow speed. Strong ally throws ally over the wall of thorns. A scroll of move earth to dig under the wall of thorns. These are just from the top of my head and referencing the srd to make sure it's all doable by level 9 or lower.

jiriku
2010-01-03, 02:50 AM
Arcane Spells: dark way, dimension door, levitate, teleport, blink, gaseous form, dimension step, dimension hop, dimension shuffle, fly, swift fly, summon monster (summon a monster to engage the PCs, or summon a flyer to fly you over the wall), wall of stone (build a bridge).

Martial Powers: shadow stride, shadow jaunt, leaping dragon stance (jump over the wall), devastating throw or comet throw (throw ally over the wall)

Divine Spells: dark way, knight's move, summon monster (as above), wall of stone (as above), freedom of movement+high AC, air walk, fly, dimension door, teleport (these last three are available via travel domain),

Tier 4 and tier 5 classes: climb and jump. Or use magic device to copy one of the solutions listed above.

It's also worth noting that many classes have abilities that can negate the need to bypass the wall, or even turn it against the NPCs. For example, spells like battering ram, greater slide, and suggestion can be used to get a PC stuck in the wall and use the druid's spell to damage his allies.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-01-03, 03:01 AM
Don't forget about using Dungeoncrasher to knock them into their own wall.

Radiun
2010-01-03, 08:25 AM
2 things I think bear mentioning

The wall can be cast onto creatures. They receive no save. So yes, a bridge over the thorns would be nice, but extracting creatures stuck within the thorns is the more immediate concern

The PCs can run into, out of, and all around the wall thanks to Mass Surefooted Stride (SpC pg216) (DM said that overgrown terrain is simply a different name for difficult terrain, so the spell is good enough to let the PCs waltz in and out of the thorns at their leisure)