PDA

View Full Version : New Super Mario Bros. Wii

Green-Shirt Q
2010-01-02, 11:03 AM
WHOOOO! I just beat it! :smallbiggrin:

I loved this game. Everything about it. The new power-ups, the way the combined everything that was good in every single one of their previous platformers together! The ending! Yeah, I have to disagree with anybody who says that it was the same so it sucks, because it really had an identity of it's own.

And it seemed to have a bit more story to it then usual. At least at the end. Which I loved.

Although I really don't think it was as hard as advertised. I mean, some levels were prettyb hard, and I died enough to have the super guide block come up a couple of times, but thought was the the perfect difficulty. Not too hard, not too easy. I always felt that I had accomplished something, yet was never too frustrated by it to throw it across the room in a fit, which is more then I can say for Super Mario Bros. 3.

I look forward to playing it with friends. I hear it's a completely different expirience then playing alone. I also hear that you can really start to hate your friends if you go into it with the wrong mindset. Luckily, I finished the game already by myself, so I don't need to worry about getting worked up when being killed by a buddy while playing it.

My favourite level was running away from giant Bowser. He was just rendered so well and it was a great, action-y, funny climax to a great game.

What do you guys think? :smallbiggrin:

Parra
2010-01-02, 11:05 AM
got it, loved it. Still trying to get the last few coins on world 9 to completely finish the game though.

What I loved was being able to multi-play through the entire game. Its total madness trying to get through some of those levels as a team of 4 it tends to lead to alot of "assassinations"

SparkMandriller
2010-01-02, 11:18 AM
Multiplayer is pretty cool. Even if you're not trying to, you still end up griefing everyone you play with.

Falgorn
2010-01-02, 11:22 AM
Yeah, I love this game. In fact, I'm gonna go play it.

Inhuman Bot
2010-01-02, 01:21 PM
I was rather disappointed with it, actually.

I mean, it wasn't a BAD game, it just wasn't as good as say.... New Super Mario Bros. or Super Mario Galaxy.

Cynan Machae
2010-01-02, 04:07 PM
I've played it, well, only multiplayer and I enjoyed it. But I can't say that the game in itself would be good enough to play by myself, but the multiplayer mayhem was quite enjoyable especially when things start getting chaotic :smallsmile:

Mushroom Ninja
2010-01-02, 04:14 PM
The multiplayer is pretty awesome. So much wacky teamwork and accidental team-killing.... :smallbiggrin:

Cynan Machae
2010-01-02, 05:04 PM
Accidently?:smallamused:

chiasaur11
2010-01-02, 05:05 PM
Accidently?:smallamused:

Lots of intentional team killing, sure, but you claim it's accidental.

CapedLuigiYoshi
2010-01-02, 05:41 PM
This was definitely better than the first NSMB and possibly better that Galaxy. I'll go as far as ranking it right up with SMW.

I managed to get all the Star Coins after a fair amount of effort. It was hard, but not too hard to become frustrating (well, except for a CERTAIN level...). Oddly enough, the hardest level (besides THAT level) as far as finding all the Star Coins, for me, was 2-5, since I couldn't find them easily.

I also managed to get past everything without needing the Super Guide (though in the case of THAT level, I had to go for each Star Coin in its own playthrough to avoid losing 8 times before winning, and even then I barely made it).

Has anyone looked at the Coin Battle-specific levels? In particular, Level Coin-2? Ye gads, I enjoy that one immensely.

Best boss battles ever.:smallbiggrin:

Shyftir
2010-01-02, 05:50 PM
Bought it for my nieces and nephews for Christmas.

Played it with all of them. Great frustration abounded.

Played it with ONE of them. Awesome time! Makes me wanna go buy myself a wii, but I'm a self confessed platformer fanatic.
It's not as good as SMB3 or SMW, but it made me feel like I did playing them. Incredible nostalgia, I especially liked the first part of 1-1, the exact starting configuration of SMB1!!! I squee'd inside a bit.

Copacetic
2010-01-02, 06:29 PM
Yes, in multiplayer you will kill your teamates. Quite a lot. This only adds to the fun, as beating the levels while constantly watching your back for revenge assassinations only adds to the enjoyment.

Dihan
2010-01-02, 07:17 PM
I've only played solo but so far I'm up to world 3. I got to the haunted house before losing all my lives. I feel so ashamed. :smallsigh:

Zocelot
2010-01-02, 10:41 PM
I've played it casually and solo and I've got to World 5 so far. Today, I finally played it with some friends for the first time, and it is both completely different and a lot of fun.

Comet
2010-01-03, 05:54 AM
I've only played two-player mode and I have to say it's really good. Having an extra character jumping on the same screen and bumping into you at every turn makes the game slightly more challenging in a fun way.
On the other hand, managing to pull off some awesome triple-walljump-bounce-off-your-partner-backflip-penguinslide manouver is extremely satisfying.

To sum it up, NSMBW multiplayer results in either:
"**** you"
or
"High five, pal! We rule!"
And both make the game hilarious to play :smallbiggrin:

Temotei
2010-01-03, 06:00 AM
I generally dislike the Wii, but this game is a lot of fun to play on multiplayer. They did a wonderful job with it. I personally like throwing frozen enemies to knock over my teammates, then running up to lift them and throw them into a goomba or similarly humiliating enemy.

Vorpal word
2010-01-03, 12:07 PM
IMO this game is superior to the original NSMB. It has the supreme power-up storage of SMB 3, combined with SMW-like gameplay (Yoshis for the win!), and the multiplayer fun of Mario Bros Battle (ah, flipping spinys into your buddies and trapping them inside a garbage can in Battle mode...so much fun!)

Player_Zero
2010-01-03, 12:31 PM
Five minutes in me and my brother started to kill each other over and over. We went from twenty lives a piece to five in in one level.

I don't work well with others.

Not an orc
2010-01-03, 01:10 PM
I got this at Christmas. It's been great fun up to the world 6 fortress and multiplayer with my brother is pretty cool. We fight fairly frequently due to different playstyles, but it's fun.

Oregano
2010-01-03, 03:22 PM
Had the game since launch day, haven't completed it yet.... although other games did come up. I've been taking it bit by bit... stuck on world 8 though.

Multiplayer is insane... even though I always miss a jump and kill by bro by landing on his head on the rebound.:smallbiggrin:

To me personally as well... this is harder than the old Marios.... especially SMW...

Flarowon
2010-01-03, 04:55 PM
Lots of intentional team killing, sure, but you claim it's accidental.
Except when you pick up your teammate, carry him to a bottomless pit and throw him in. Ah, good times.

Shyftir
2010-01-04, 12:36 AM
This game is easier than earlier Marios because, you never run out of continues. Otherwise its tougher in some areas but not everywhere.

chiasaur11
2010-01-04, 12:51 AM
Except when you pick up your teammate, carry him to a bottomless pit and throw him in. Ah, good times.

"Gosh-darn, but these controls are complicated!"

Linkavitch
2010-01-04, 11:24 AM
My family got this game for christmas, but sadly, we only have one Wiimote (Until wednesday) So, we weren't able to do multiplayer. That being said, I like this game alot. i haven't beaten it yet, but will make a great attempt at it today.:smallsmile:

AgentPaper
2010-01-04, 04:29 PM
Got this for Christmas for the rest of my family. Definitely the best present I could have gotten, since, well, let's just say 4-player co-op is crazy, and crazy fun. You are guaranteed to kill and be killed accidentally more than anything else. Even if you're trying to kill them on purpose, you'd be hard pressed to kill them more often on purpose than accidentally, unless you literally do nothing but stand around and try to throw each other in pits. :smalltongue: We ended up getting through the game, and all the coins on the first world to start trying world 9 a bit the week after christmas.