PDA

View Full Version : Impressions ITP

Pages : [1] 2

Zincorium
2010-01-02, 11:18 AM
Normally, in person to person social interaction, there's always a subtext to each conversation. The way people look at you, the way they phrase things, aside from intentional misdirection it's easy to tell what people think of you if you pay attention.

Online, not so much. Anyone interested in what the playground actually thinks of them?

The Extinguisher
2010-01-02, 11:26 AM
I am constantly worrying about how people think of me and if they secretly hate me and only put up with me because I'm annoying or out of pity. :smalleek:

Dr. Bath
2010-01-02, 11:27 AM
But there's always intentional misdirection, since everyone is out to get me. It's all an elaborate charade.

It's usually quite enlightening to find out what people really think, but it is all too rare for people to be completely honest.

Mythestopheles
2010-01-02, 11:29 AM
I doubt I'm terribly well known, but I wonder what people think of me. Feel free to say what you think of me, positive or negative.

Zincorium
2010-01-02, 11:35 AM
Huh, didn't figure it'd be quite this popular.

I figure it's on a volunteer, then as known basis. I, and several other people, volunteer to be told what people really think, then we do it as known.

Would it be insulting that I don't have much of an impression of any of you yet? I'm pretty limited as far as what forums I browse.

Dr. Bath
2010-01-02, 11:43 AM
See that's the main problem. If all you've seen of this other person is a couple post there's not much to judge.

"You seem moderately articulate" is probably not the kind of answer you're going for here.

Zincorium
2010-01-02, 11:48 AM
I've been told I'm a sociopath, a generally bad person, and a frothing lunatic at various points. It wasn't entirely unprovoked.

'Moderately Articulate' would be a nice complement.

Dragonrider
2010-01-02, 11:54 AM
I think in general people like me better here than in real life, but that might be because I'm sort of a "dark horse" ordinarily . . . I don't give them much opportunity to know if they like me. :smalltongue:

(This is changing as I get older. but it was true for a long time.)

13_CBS
2010-01-02, 11:58 AM
I'm more interested in knowing whether or not anyone in the Playground at all knows or thinks of me at all. :smalleek: I always get a niggling little feeling that almost everyone in the playground (except for maybe my fellow anime fans) have no idea who or what I am--this notion was reinforced during my little 3 day interview in the forums where no one asked me a single question. :smallfrown:

Dragonrider
2010-01-02, 12:09 PM
I recognize your name (though your old avatar more), but I don't have any particularly impressions about your personality one way or another. :smallwink:

Quincunx
2010-01-02, 12:11 PM
I've done a passable imitation of Frankie Howerd's Lurcio. . .oh, not that sort of impression.

I try to ascertain, once per season or so, whether or not my abstract messages are comprehended and/or on whose end the communication faltered. This involves dumbing down/people-orienting an idea until someone reflects it back in a reply that shows they understood what I meant in the way I understood it, or better. People do not listen to ideas face-to-face unless they're girded for ideas, and they rarely are. Something about print and the echoes of schoolbooks prepares the reader to think, and makes them receptive to ideas. It's more useful than speech or video chat.

Dragonrider
2010-01-02, 12:18 PM
People do not listen to ideas face-to-face unless they're girded for ideas, and they rarely are. Something about print and the echoes of schoolbooks prepares the reader to think, and makes them receptive to ideas. It's more useful than speech or video chat.

Well . . . in my family, people frequently enter a room and proclaim some idea they've but recently had. I do it myself sometimes. Then everyone starts talking, someone Googles to see if it's possible. But we're a rabble band of homeschooled unwashed (:smalltongue:) with PhD parents and a bizarre sense of normality. Among my friends, seldom do such interaction occur.

Quincunx
2010-01-02, 01:27 PM
Now, my impression of the people posting about how they're unsure and would just like to be liked is that those are sniveling. That is wrong. I am wrong. Saying that you're unsure and would just like to be liked is the clearest and the accepted way to ask for affirmation from people-oriented thinkers. The sort of people who can give that reassurance and not sound like they're lying (or suppressing a flawed impression--my biases don't vanish the instant I become aware of them) hear properly and respond, and with the people-oriented folk having found one another, the world spins on with just a bit more order in it.

Also, perhaps, the systems-oriented people wonder why I had to bother writing that out, or stifle a sigh of relief that someone else understands, and having found each other, the world spins on. . .

Mythestopheles
2010-01-02, 01:34 PM
you make a good point. Though I just posted here because of curiosity of what other people (on the internet) see me as. Oh, and boredom.

Mauve Shirt
2010-01-02, 02:00 PM
People like me here more than in real life. At least I think you like me. I have no idea. I worry a lot more about you guys liking me than real people liking me, but that could be because I'm an introverted weirdo (so say my parents.) Though I do really care about people in real life liking me too, since I spend more time here (that's probably a bad thing) I kind of worry more about this.

Moff Chumley
2010-01-02, 02:19 PM
People like me here more than in real life. At least I think you like me. I have no idea. I worry a lot more about you guys liking me than real people liking me, but that could be because I'm an introverted weirdo (so say my parents.) Though I do really care about people in real life liking me too, since I spend more time here (that's probably a bad thing) I kind of worry more about this.

I like you. Your one of the more accommodating, consistently civil people here.

Also, perhaps, the systems-oriented people wonder why I had to bother writing that out, or stifle a sigh of relief that someone else understands, and having found each other, the world spins on. . .

:smallsmile: Hai.

Also, I thought I was the Playground's resident paranoid, attention whore-ing wreck? :smallmad:

Flickerdart
2010-01-02, 02:47 PM
I don't pay attention to individuals unless I get to know them fairly well. While there is a certain concern about making an impression, it's mostly regarding the general one. So, while I might care about what the Playground as a whole thinks of me, that doesn't necessarily translate into caring about the opinions if individuals.

Coplantor
2010-01-02, 03:20 PM
I'm ussually well liked in RL, I dont know here, this place seems to fiendly, like, a lot, so I'm a bit paranoid about what people here really thinks about me, then again, it's poeple over the internet we're talking about, BUT, there are some people here who I consider a friend of mine so I'm starting to get neurothic again.

@V: Did you meant Coplantor?

Dallas-Dakota
2010-01-02, 03:34 PM
I am constantly worrying about how people think of me and if they secretly hate me and only put up with me because I'm annoying or out of pity. :smalleek:
This, this pretty much...

And Coidzor, we wub you, atleast I do.:smalltongue:
Err yes, I always confuse your two names. ><
Sowwy.

Jibar
2010-01-02, 03:43 PM
Huh. What an... interesting idea for a thread.

I always do wonder how I am regarded, but then my popularity surprises me.
'course I fill the same role here as I do offline: a rogue comic lone wolf, not usually present but making my mark when I am.

By which I mean SOMETHING. I'm really hungry.

Morty
2010-01-02, 03:51 PM
People tend to overlook me IRL. I've always kind of felt it was the case here too.

Ikialev
2010-01-02, 04:37 PM
People tend to overlook me IRL. I've always kind of felt it was the case here too.
Heyy, I recognise you. You are one of 4 people posting in BG2 thread. :smallbiggrin:

arguskos
2010-01-02, 05:17 PM
This thread is interesting to watch. I don't particularly care if others like me, merely that they understand why I say the things I do. As long as that is clear, I'm good. :smallamused:

Granted, I am frequently misunderstood, thanks to my heavy use of sarcasm and the internet being bad as a medium for subtexts in communication.

Also, Quin, I STILL can't fully understand your posts. I'd like to think I'm of decent intelligence, but sometimes, you post something, I read it, and my brain goes "wuh..?" Course, my understanding doesn't matter much in the grand scheme of things. :smallwink:

EDIT: I recognize everyone here and have an opinion on them (almost entirely positive), save for Mythestopheles, who I've only seen around once or twice. I think I spend too much time on these forums. XD

Gamerlord
2010-01-02, 05:21 PM
I always wonder what others think of me, but I keep the thought to myself, just like I keep 90% of all of my thoughts to myself.

golentan
2010-01-02, 05:22 PM
I feel like I'm a love 'im or hate 'im kind of guy: people laugh at my comments or argue with everything I say... I feel like a lot of the time my input gets ignored, but I also feel like I'm one of the more regular (and possibly recognizable) posters in the forums I tend to frequent.

Phaedra
2010-01-02, 06:22 PM
I suspect the vast amount of people here have no idea who I am and the few that do have no particular opinion on me one way or another. Which is fine really, I just come here to fill in free time and procrastinate, not to make any kind of world changing impression. :smallwink: At least I'm fairly sure I've not insulted or annoyed anyone here, which is the important thing.

The Demented One
2010-01-02, 06:25 PM
I don't know what people think of me, but I for sure know that Krimm Blackleaf fellow is the charmingest devil in the playground. Don't introduce him to your ladyfriends.

Quincunx
2010-01-02, 06:33 PM
arguskos, you're just very far over on the people-oriented end of the scale, on the other end from me. There's other people who know how to explain that effortless warm fuzziness to the rest of us, although for the life of me I can't think of any of their names right now.

Also, I thought I was the Playground's resident paranoid, attention whore-ing wreck? :smallmad:

There was once a Playgrounder who claimed to have been a Marine and died in combat, then came back with another account to announce this to us and bask in the celebratory glow of condolences, and received a well-deserved blow from the banhammer after someone checked the U.S. military's casualty lists and didn't find the name. You have a ways to go before topping that attention-sucking vortex of doom*. Please, for the good of us all, don't try.

*copyright of Sinfest

Lioness
2010-01-02, 06:42 PM
IRL, I'm fairly well-liked, except by the popular people, who think I"m a nerd.

Here, I get two different impressions.

On the RPG board, I get the feeling that people think I'm a complete noob, and ignorant as well (and I am, at least with D&D)

In the friendly banter, I don't really know. I'm there, but I'm not one of the big names. I'm still new.

Dallas-Dakota
2010-01-02, 06:45 PM
I've always felt that Helgraf's writings and Quin's post were just on a plane of higher intelligence then me.:smalleek:

>.>

Player_Zero
2010-01-02, 07:02 PM
At least I'm fairly sure I've not insulted or annoyed anyone here, which is the important thing.

Damn. Why didn't you tell me this sooner?

Moff Chumley
2010-01-02, 07:11 PM
There was once a Playgrounder who claimed to have been a Marine and died in combat, then came back with another account to announce this to us and bask in the celebratory glow of condolences, and received a well-deserved blow from the banhammer after someone checked the U.S. military's casualty lists and didn't find the name. You have a ways to go before topping that attention-sucking vortex of doom*. Please, for the good of us all, don't try.

*copyright of Sinfest

Well, now I feel paranoid, attention whore-ing, wreckish, AND inadequate. :smallamused:

Solaris
2010-01-02, 09:27 PM
I think I have a fairly good idea of how I'm regarded. Quote's in the siggie. It's even better offline.

But there's always intentional misdirection, since everyone is out to get me. It's all an elaborate charade.

It's usually quite enlightening to find out what people really think, but it is all too rare for people to be completely honest.

... I hate it when they figure it out. Great. This means I have to step up the Plan.

I've been told I'm a sociopath, a generally bad person, and a frothing lunatic at various points. It wasn't entirely unprovoked.

'Moderately Articulate' would be a nice complement.

... Oddly, I've noted you to be at least semi-sane most of the time. What's that say about me?

I think in general people like me better here than in real life, but that might be because I'm sort of a "dark horse" ordinarily . . . I don't give them much opportunity to know if they like me. :smalltongue:

(This is changing as I get older. but it was true for a long time.)

It ought to change, you seem like a nice kid with a head on her shoulders. That's annoyingly rare.

I've done a passable imitation of Frankie Howerd's Lurcio. . .oh, not that sort of impression.

I try to ascertain, once per season or so, whether or not my abstract messages are comprehended and/or on whose end the communication faltered. This involves dumbing down/people-orienting an idea until someone reflects it back in a reply that shows they understood what I meant in the way I understood it, or better. People do not listen to ideas face-to-face unless they're girded for ideas, and they rarely are. Something about print and the echoes of schoolbooks prepares the reader to think, and makes them receptive to ideas. It's more useful than speech or video chat.

You think too much. There's something to be said for speaking succinctly.

I hate you. Hate! Hate! Hate!
I lie.

loopy
2010-01-02, 10:54 PM
I'm quite curious to find out what people think of me in the playground. As an insecure attention whore, I do tend to constantly wonder about what people are thinking or saying about me. :smallconfused:

Moff Chumley
2010-01-02, 11:02 PM
Hey... HEY!! :smallfurious: STOP THAT!

Solaris
2010-01-02, 11:07 PM
Hey... HEY!! :smallfurious: STOP THAT!

Heheheheh.

Ravens_cry
2010-01-02, 11:15 PM
I like being. . .quotable. That's why I bold AND italicize so my intent still comes through in quote boxes.:smallredface: I love and fear people paying attention to me, I like being noticed. I like making people laugh, even at a cost.
I want to be THAT Ravens Cry.
Yeah.

ghost_warlock
2010-01-02, 11:16 PM
I already know what people think of me; it usually breaks down to one of the following:

A) STFU GTFO
B) QQ MOAR NOOB
C) DEAR GOD WHAT IS THAT THING!?
D) These observations of everyday conditions have led us to a realization which constitutes our minimum basis of agreement, aside from the sympathy which binds us and which is inexplicable. It would not have been possible for us to found our agreement on principles. For everything is relative. What are the Beautiful, the Good, Art, Freedom? Words that have a different meaning for every individual. Words with the pretension of creating agreement among all, and that is why they are written with capital letters. Words which have not the moral value and objective force that people have grown accustomed to finding in them. Their meaning changes from one individual, one epoch, one country to the next. Men are different. It is diversity that makes life interesting. There is no common basis in mens minds. The unconscious is inexhaustible and uncontrollable. Its force surpasses us. It is as mysterious as the last particle of a brain cell. Even if we knew it, we could not reconstruct it.
E) Ooooooh, I want your hott bod!

Murska
2010-01-02, 11:23 PM
I really don't know what most people think of me IRL. It's odd, I'm not that social but I'm not quiet or alone at school either nowadays and I tend to ramble on about music everywhere. It'd really be fascinating to get a close enough friend to ask something like that from, and I think I'll try this year.

Over the internet, I try to be friendly overall. I'm more of a single participant in the conversations without much of my own proactivity in the other board I have close friends on and in the gaming communities I'm in I'm more quiet since I tend to dislike a lot more people in those. Over at the GitP, however, I play werewolf games and sort of hope that people don't look at how I deceive, lie and manipulate them there and drag that template onto me overall. I do have the 'Scheming Wolf'-persona in chats but I at least hope that most people don't take it seriously. I'd have taken that for granted before but I've been getting the feeling from some people that they actually dislike me 'because I'm a lying cheat', which is sad.

waterpenguin43
2010-01-02, 11:24 PM

I agree with you, completely.
If only I could find out....[/hint]

Partof1
2010-01-02, 11:35 PM
I mostly lurk, but i'd love to hear what's thought of what I have posted.

golentan
2010-01-02, 11:36 PM
I'm quite curious to find out what people think of me in the playground. As an insecure attention whore, I do tend to constantly wonder about what people are thinking or saying about me. :smallconfused:

Well, I generally see one of your posts and think *something* interesting is coming up. Not like that one guy I always ignore. "Moss Chumfrey" or whatever his name is. I don't even bother to read those.

Solaris
2010-01-02, 11:42 PM
Well, I generally see one of your posts and think *something* interesting is coming up. Not like that one guy I always ignore. "Moss Chumfrey" or whatever his name is. I don't even bother to read those.

Or that golemtan loser.

golentan
2010-01-02, 11:45 PM
Or that golemtan loser.

Exactly. That guy is a total los... er...

:smallconfused:

Hang on a second...

Neko Toast
2010-01-03, 12:06 AM
Hm. Not entirely sure what people think of me here.

I can tell you what some of my friends outside of the net think of me. A lot of people think I'm spacey and on the slow side. Those people also notice that I'm quite negative and pessimistic, and I complain too much sometimes. I've been told that I don't smile all that often, which implies that I'm frequently unhappy, and I'm more sensitive that most people.

My closest friend knows me a little better. He says that I worry about the little things, and that I feel guilty about most screw ups, even if the screw up is minor, or if I never did anything wrong. He also knows more about what's going on in my life, so he believes that my unhappiness isn't entirely unwarranted (in other words, he doesn't think that I'm a whiny-pretentious-emo-person).

This is all I can recall at the moment.

Pyrian
2010-01-03, 12:54 AM
I suspect the vast amount of people here have no idea who I am and the few that do have no particular opinion on me one way or another.I, for one, adore you. :smallcool:

C) DEAR GOD WHAT IS THAT THING!?Bingo! :smallwink:

I'm quite curious to find out what people think of me in the playground.You seem to be simultaneously one of the luckiest and unluckiest people I know. I figure one day an especially hot set of twins will take you home - and drown you in the bathtub. :smalltongue:

loopy
2010-01-03, 12:58 AM
You seem to be simultaneously one of the luckiest and unluckiest people I know. I figure one day an especially hot set of twins will take you home - and drown you in the bathtub. :smalltongue:

Hahahaha. And if you then told my friends about this, they would not even bat an eye. They've been witness to too much of the crazy stuff that randomly happens to me to be surprised by anything any more. :smallamused:

Apparently people can get jaded by over-exposure to awesome. :smallwink:

Partof1
2010-01-03, 01:06 AM
Apparently people can get jaded by over-exposure to awesome. :smallwink:

Bahahahaha :smallbiggrin:

Sigged.

Recaiden
2010-01-03, 03:02 AM

Now they're even trying to take my position away. :smallsigh: :smalltongue:
I bet someone'll lie and say they like me.

My impression of most people and myself is bad, because I'm oversensitive to things.
I think most people see me, online and offline, as vaguely annoying and eccentric.

Opinions?

I for one really like you.

I always get a niggling little feeling that almost everyone in the playground (except for maybe my fellow anime fans) have no idea who or what I am
I have no idea who or what you are, sorry.

No, we do like you. You're really nice. And forthright.

This, this pretty much...
We all love you, Dallas.

Huh. What an... interesting idea for a thread.

I always do wonder how I am regarded, but then my popularity surprises me.
'course I fill the same role here as I do offline: a rogue comic lone wolf, not usually present but making my mark when I am.

By which I mean SOMETHING. I'm really hungry.
Very highly. You're "The" "Catmuffin".

loopy
2010-01-03, 03:05 AM
Bahahahaha :smallbiggrin:

Sigged.

Woo! I've been noticed! :smallbiggrin:

Anuan
2010-01-03, 04:39 AM
I love nearly everyone on the playground, at least, the Friendly Banterers. Of those in this thread, I'm -particularly- fond of Mauve, DeeRee, Quin, DD, Lioness and Phaedra. Those whom I actively dislike can figure it out themselves. Most people I just don't know too well.

People offline generally think I'm just weird, or in some cases, Felix's boyfriend. That's always uncomfortable.

People here should just tell me what they think :smalltongue:

Phaedra
2010-01-03, 05:02 AM
I, for one, adore you. :smallcool:

:smallredface: Well, thank you. I like you too, I always know when I see a post from you it'll be smart and mature.

Damn. Why didn't you tell me this sooner?

Important for me, but not, I'm guessing, for you. You can carry on as you are, it'd be very weird if you suddenly started being nice to people.

That said, I take my previous statement back since I'm fairly sure I've irritated you at various times.

Dallas-Dakota
2010-01-03, 05:21 AM
Phaedra: I like you, I can always expect relaxed, mature and understandable posts from you.

Anuan: Thenkies
Recaiden: Thenk you, and I've always held you as a calm person, even though you don't think yourself to be one.

Loopy: You know what I think you of you, and when we meet. We'l be wingmen.
And soar the skies in adamn happy good lives.:smallamused:

Setra
2010-01-03, 07:00 AM
I am pretty sure no one thinks much of me.

But I'm also a paranoid schizophrenic, so maybe it's just that? Either way it is realistic for me to believe it, so I do.

Edit: People I have a good impression of..

Saph.. Dallas-Dakota.. several others but I can't think of them at the moment.

Edit Edit: Yuki Akuma is one too.

Lioness
2010-01-03, 07:16 AM
My theory seems to have been accurate. Lioness is invisible (but she still has clothes on :|)

Gamerlord
2010-01-03, 07:22 AM
Sooooo.... any praise or criticism for unknown me? Cause I doubt any of you have a clue who I am.

Lioness
2010-01-03, 07:28 AM
Sooooo.... any praise or criticism for unknown me? Cause I doubt any of you have a clue who I am.

All I know is that you can't wait for video games to arrive.

A completely understandable trait. I spent weeks waiting for a letter from my boyfriend until he told me he hates writing letters, and so didn't reply to mine.

Mystic Muse
2010-01-03, 07:41 AM
I luv you all

Setra
2010-01-03, 07:42 AM
A completely understandable trait. I spent weeks waiting for a letter from my boyfriend until he told me he hates writing letters, and so didn't reply to mine.
My impression of Lioness: Sympathetic

@Kyuubi
I saw that :smalltongue:

Mystic Muse
2010-01-03, 07:44 AM
@Kyuubi
I saw that :smalltongue: :smallwink:

yes but I deleted it so I wouldn't get an infraction. Don't worry. you aren't one of them.

Setra
2010-01-03, 07:45 AM
yes but I deleted it so I wouldn't get an infraction. Don't worry. you aren't one of them.
I doubt it's an infraction to dislike someone, especially if you did not list nor insult them.

But maybe that's just me.

Edit: Maybe I should edit this post just in case?

Gamerlord
2010-01-03, 07:45 AM
Aren't one of what? :smallconfused:

DO I SENSE A CONSPIRACY!? :smalltongue:

Mystic Muse
2010-01-03, 07:49 AM
Aren't one of what? :smallconfused:

DO I SENSE A CONSPIRACY!? :smalltongue:

aren't one of the only two people on this forum I dislike.

the two people do not include banned users.

and yes there is a conspiracy. me and a few others are trying to kill Vecna.:smallcool: Nerull is next and then Tiamat:smallamused:

starwoof
2010-01-03, 08:37 AM
I actually like most of the people on this forum. I tend to notice certain people more though, Kyuubi and Gamerkid among them. Most of my forum friends don't post anymore though. :smallfrown:

onthetown
2010-01-03, 08:40 AM
I don't think I'm that well known around here. I suck at integrating myself into groups like other people do, even online ones.

I tend to notice certain people a lot more than others, as well.

starwoof
2010-01-03, 08:43 AM
I don't think I'm that well known around here. I suck at integrating myself into groups like other people do, even online ones.

I tend to notice certain people a lot more than others, as well.

I've seen your posts enough times to know your name off hand. But yeah, I also suck at integration...

Mystic Muse
2010-01-03, 08:48 AM
I tend to notice certain people more though, Kyuubi among them.

O_o what makes me stand out?

starwoof
2010-01-03, 08:49 AM
I dunno. You post a lot of questions in the roleplaying board and you have a unique avatar I guess.

EDIT: I also think your sig quote from the giant is hilarious.

GrlumpTheElder
2010-01-03, 08:49 AM
I'm another who's not that well known in these forums. I assume that's because I don't spread myself across the whole forum and only really stick to Arts and Crafts. Then again, I always come off worse on the internet than in real life.

onthetown
2010-01-03, 08:51 AM
Then again, I always come off worse on the internet than in real life.

That's exactly my problem. I don't exactly have hundreds of friends IRL, but I'm able to act as who I really am. I find the internet a little awkward... I once had an entire server on an online game refuse to answer my questions, party with me, or even talk to me because they thought I came across as weird and awkward.

Mystic Muse
2010-01-03, 09:07 AM
I dunno. You post a lot of questions in the roleplaying board and you have a unique avatar I guess.

EDIT: I also think your sig quote from the giant is hilarious.

Thanks.:smallbiggrin:

And I post a lot of questions because I'm still kind of a noob to 3.5:smallredface:

Setra
2010-01-03, 09:09 AM
That's exactly my problem. I don't exactly have hundreds of friends IRL, but I'm able to act as who I really am. I find the internet a little awkward... I once had an entire server on an online game refuse to answer my questions, party with me, or even talk to me because they thought I came across as weird and awkward.It's actually rather different for me.

I tend to make friends MUCH easier on the internet, because I am quite shy in real life. If you make a fool of yourself on the internet it's okay because no one knows who you are :smalltongue: So I tend to let myself go a little, and act more .. natural, I guess.

Mystic Muse
2010-01-03, 09:14 AM
It's actually rather different for me.

I tend to make friends MUCH easier on the internet, because I am quite shy in real life. If you make a fool of yourself on the internet it's okay because no one knows who you are :smalltongue: So I tend to let myself go a little, and act more .. natural, I guess.

exact same for me.:smallfrown:

Deadly
2010-01-03, 09:20 AM
Not sure how many know of me around here... beyond having seen my name a few times or so, perhaps. Maybe a few people remember me from way back in Town. I often wonder how many actually notice me, and what they think of me. Hard to tell, really.

I don't really know that many myself, but everyone seem surprisingly nice around here. I remember many from back when I played in Town, but I don't see a lot of them around now, maybe because I don't post too much outside PbP myself.

There are many who stand out, but who I don't really know. I guess it's something to do with their names and avatars being striking and memorable, or simply the fact that they post a lot or seem far more intelligent than I.

Jack Squat
2010-01-03, 09:36 AM
On here, I figure I'm one of those people who's recognized and generally not disliked, but my posts aren't a show stopper either.

In the real world, I'm a bit more regarded - though that may have quite a bit to do with my reputation for following in the footsteps of MacGyver than any real increase in social skills.

Morty
2010-01-03, 09:59 AM
Heyy, I recognise you. You are one of 4 people posting in BG2 thread. :smallbiggrin:

Hey, there were more people there. But yeah, I recognize your from there too. The concentration of Polish posters in this thread was curious.

Gamerlord
2010-01-03, 10:00 AM
It's actually rather different for me.

Same with me, I am sure that if I checked with a therapist they would say I have Xenophobia.

Dallas-Dakota
2010-01-03, 10:01 AM
Ofcourse I know Morty.
Overal good impression, good roleplayer.

This pretty much turned into the ''What Do You Truly think of TPAY'' except that there's no rules and no insistence on tpay....

Gamerlord
2010-01-03, 10:01 AM
I actually like most of the people on this forum. I tend to notice certain people more though, Kyuubi and Gamerkid among them. Most of my forum friends don't post anymore though. :smallfrown:

How do I stand out :smallconfused: ? My unique avatar? Cause lots of people have unique avatars. And a lot of them are more popular then me I bet.

onthetown
2010-01-03, 10:05 AM
How do I stand out :smallconfused: ? My unique avatar? Cause lots of people have unique avatars. And a lot of them are more popular then me I bet.

I seem to see you a lot on the forums, too. The avatar is one reason. I remember people by their avatars.

Gamerlord
2010-01-03, 10:08 AM
I seem to see you a lot on the forums, too. The avatar is one reason. I remember people by their avatars.

I remember people by their avatars too, Mando Knight is Bahumut, Lord Fullbladder is usually some kind of villain, etc.

Mystic Muse
2010-01-03, 10:11 AM
actually I don't really have a fear of meeting new people so much as a fear of looking like an idiot. When I do that or make a stupid mistake I remember it forever

Solaris
2010-01-03, 10:23 AM
On here, I figure I'm one of those people who's recognized and generally not disliked, but my posts aren't a show stopper either.

In the real world, I'm a bit more regarded - though that may have quite a bit to do with my reputation for following in the footsteps of MacGyver than any real increase in social skills.

Yeah, you're one of the cleverer ones on the board and, as I said to an offline buddy of mine in regards to you, "I know US arsenal, he knows anything with a trigger."

Dragonrider
2010-01-03, 11:33 AM
I love nearly everyone on the playground, at least, the Friendly Banterers. Of those in this thread, I'm -particularly- fond of Mauve, DeeRee, Quin, DD, Lioness and Phaedra. Those whom I actively dislike can figure it out themselves. Most people I just don't know too well.

...You get along better with girls than with guys, don't you? :smallbiggrin: (But thanks)

I'm another who's not that well known in these forums. I assume that's because I don't spread myself across the whole forum and only really stick to Arts and Crafts. Then again, I always come off worse on the internet than in real life.

I've actually always thought it was the opposite. If you spread yourself out you're sort of a nominal member of several very different communities. If you stick to one section (or one subsection, if you're me) you sort of . . . become a part of the scenery there. :smalltongue: At least, I'm pretty sure I know most RB people (dunno if they know me but a lot do) and I only step out for Shipping in A&C, which is teeming with RBers anyway.

Gamerlord
2010-01-03, 11:43 AM
The only playgrounder I completely dislike is banned, so I don't really have any enemies here.

Dragonrider
2010-01-03, 11:44 AM
The only playgrounder I completely dislike is banned, so I don't really have any enemies here.

Yeah, the people I dislike tend to get banned, which tells me that the things that irritate me about them are justified. :smalltongue:

Prime32
2010-01-03, 12:14 PM
I remember people by their avatars too, Mando Knight is Bahumut, Lord Fullbladder is usually some kind of villain, etc.Same here - I find it terribly confusing whenever anyone changes theirs (unless it's a "variation on a theme", which actually helps them stand out more). And for that reason, I haven't changed my av once since I started posting here. Has it worked? Do you have any idea who the hell I am?

I'm more active at BG than I am here, and I'm still using my old Wizards av there. :smalltongue:
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd54/Prime32_temp/mindflayer.png

Player_Zero
2010-01-03, 12:26 PM
Important for me, but not, I'm guessing, for you. You can carry on as you are, it'd be very weird if you suddenly started being nice to people.

That said, I take my previous statement back since I'm fairly sure I've irritated you at various times.

I can? Well that's nice of you.

Although... It would be very weird you say? Maybe this would launch my weirdness to unprecedented levels. Eh, maybe not. Seems like a hassle.

Also, you're not capable of annoying me. Your annoyance-foo is weak; you've got a lot to learn before you beat me, try again kiddo. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFuERJn3-Xk)

GrlumpTheElder
2010-01-03, 12:26 PM
Same here - I find it terribly confusing whenever anyone changes theirs (unless it's a "variation on a theme", which actually helps them stand out more). And for that reason, I haven't changed my av once since I started posting here. Has it worked? Do you have any idea who the hell I am? I'm more active at BG than I am here, and I'm still using my old Wizards av there. :smalltongue:

Distinct Avatars definitely help identifiying people. It helps identification better if the avatar is associated to the user name, but it's not neccessary.

I always have a variation on my Gnome Barbarian. Is it a distinctive avatar??

Dallas-Dakota
2010-01-03, 12:34 PM
Avatar does not have to be related to username to be distinctive...

I.E. Cookiemonster(series)( I hope:smalltongue:)

GrlumpTheElder
2010-01-03, 12:48 PM
Avatar does not have to be related to username to be distinctive...

I.E. Cookiemonster(series)( I hope:smalltongue:)

But weren't you DD The Cookie Monster once?

Kneenibble
2010-01-03, 01:12 PM
I feel like I'm a love 'im or hate 'im kind of guy: people laugh at my comments or argue with everything I say... I feel like a lot of the time my input gets ignored, but I also feel like I'm one of the more regular (and possibly recognizable) posters in the forums I tend to frequent.

My impression of you is that you're neat, goldenbeige. I like to read your posts whenever I see them. Although I notice you've been acting less and less like a brain-eating space mantis lately.

Quincunciatrix, I also gravitate towards your posts when I see them because most of the time they are delightful. You practice a boiled-down poetic irreducability in that majority. In this here quoted post, for example.

Now my light person will probably crumple to put on the grave airs of quoting Nietzsche, but hear me: he said "those who know they are profound strive for clarity. Those who would like to seem profound strive for obscurity." Dear lady, if I may be so bold, your sometimes fault is to overdress a small dish.

Dallas-Dakota
2010-01-03, 01:17 PM
But weren't you DD The Cookie Monster once?

Aha, but I was Dallas-Dakota long before that.

golentan
2010-01-03, 01:20 PM
My impression of you is that you're neat, goldenbeige. I like to read your posts whenever I see them. Although I notice you've been acting less and less like a brain-eating space mantis lately.

Well, I'm fighting the urge to kill humanity. It's embarrassing to promise to protect a planet and then wind up raining fire upon it until the crust melts and boils.

Seriously speaking, I'm making an effort to stop acting on my (probable) delusions, esp. IRL but even in my internal persona...

Setra
2010-01-03, 01:21 PM
As far as distinctive avatars go.. Jibar was someone I always recognized when I saw his avatar. Though not as much recently..

Also Saph, definitely... Let's see... Drascin is also one, as well as Player Zero.. Gamerkid, Kyuubi, Prime32 (I love his Avatar), Trog, Vorpal Tribble...

That's about it off the top of my head. What's bad is when I start associating the base avatars with certain users.

Prime32
2010-01-03, 01:27 PM
That's about it off the top of my head. What's bad is when I start associating the base avatars with certain users.Who is this then? I can tell you who I associate it with...
http://www.giantitp.com/avatars/SwashbucklerGuy.gif

Recaiden
2010-01-03, 01:32 PM
There are posters I dislike, but I am afraid to be any more specific.

Setra
2010-01-03, 01:36 PM
Who is this then? I can tell you who I associate it with...
http://www.giantitp.com/avatars/SwashbucklerGuy.gif
Sir Giacomo

Edit: I couldn't remember his username off the top of my head (I ended up doing a google search to figure out who I was thinking about 'giaccomo gitp' :smalltongue: )

Gamerlord
2010-01-03, 01:37 PM
Sir Giacomo

Who? :smallconfused:

Deadly
2010-01-03, 01:41 PM
I change my avatar once in a while (I just changed it today, in fact). I just don't think I could stick to one for any length of time.

Although, many of my avatars have been a raccoon (Deadly Raccoon) of one sort of another for quite some time (my new one is an exception).

Dr. Bath
2010-01-03, 01:44 PM
Pffft.

Nothing wrong with disliking someone, just so long as you're not rude about it.

Personally, the (mock?) rage of Randomizer and The Q rubs me up the wrong way. So I find 'em a bit annoying.

Most people are at the amicable aquaintance level, and I'm sure I lie in a similar position relative to them.

Perhaps 'workmates' on the Friendship graph.
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h24/solarturtle/FotCFriendshipGraph.jpg

Neko Toast
2010-01-03, 01:50 PM
There are posters I dislike, but I am afraid to be any more specific.

It's okay, Recaiden. I already know that you hate me. Frelling creature that looks like a hedgehog but isn't that I can't remember the name of... Oops. Did I say that out loud? :smallwink:

Recaiden
2010-01-03, 01:52 PM
It's okay, Recaiden. I already know that you hate me. Frelling creature that looks like a hedgehog but isn't that I can't remember the name of... Oops. Did I say that out loud? :smallwink:

You know, I don't make dolls for people I don't like. Much less avatars. :smalltongue:

Neko Toast
2010-01-03, 01:55 PM
You know, I don't make dolls for people I don't like. Much less avatars. :smalltongue:

I know. I was just joking.

So there's at least one person on the forums who likes me. :smallbiggrin:

Mythestopheles
2010-01-03, 02:27 PM
I'm probably not too well known. Because like posters above, I suck at becoming part of groups. This is probably due to my shyness in RL giving me no XP whatsoever in this regard.

So far though, I love this forum, the people are much nicer here than in RL.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-01-03, 03:51 PM
I... don't give a tarrasque's bedsores what is thought of me. I prefer it be positive, but if you don't not gonna shed a tear.

Really can't say as I know if anyone likes or dislikes me (liking or disliking the homebrew I write isn't the same btw). But then again... I don't know if I really like or dislike anyone here myself. There are those who can generate a mild annoyance or exasperation, but that's about it.

That's one thing I think is the double edged sword of GITP. Never really know a person til you've riled them up and gotten beyond their public face. GITP rules, while keeping things civil and relatively sane, also rarely lets you provoke anyone to the real person behind the avatar.

I rarely need to do anything to go beyond the rules though (blatantly at least), so generally what you see is me.

Reinholdt
2010-01-03, 04:14 PM
You guys may find this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122272) helpful. Or perhaps not.

And I will leave the post at that. Cause I am afraid to say more and find out things I might not want to mostly.

GallóglachMaxim
2010-01-03, 07:14 PM
I do sometimes post and then think 'Somone is going to read that and think I'm an idiot', don't lose any sleep over it though.

Does anyone else always look at avatars before/instead of names and sometimes get confused when two people are using the same standard one?

Lioness
2010-01-03, 07:16 PM
Does anyone else always look at avatars before/instead of names and sometimes get confused when two people are using the same standard one?

Yup. I used to have the same standard avatar as Tyn-something (I'm sorry, I'm terrible with names. I could try to spell it but that would be embarrasing)
When I scrolled down pages looking for my last post, I got so confused.

arguskos
2010-01-03, 07:23 PM
Yup. I used to have the same standard avatar as Tyn-something (I'm sorry, I'm terrible with names. I could try to spell it but that would be embarrasing)
When I scrolled down pages looking for my last post, I got so confused.
Tyndmyr? Yeah, ya'll shared avvy's for awhile, made it hard to see who posted, though your posting styles are VERY distinct.

Happily, no one shares my avatar. :smallamused:

Lioness
2010-01-03, 07:25 PM
Tyndmyr? Yeah, ya'll shared avvy's for awhile, made it hard to see who posted, though your posting styles are VERY distinct.

Yeah, that's the one.

I eventually gave up and got me my sable.

starwoof
2010-01-03, 08:34 PM

Yes! When I see people using the standard avatars I want to to offer to make them a new one...

GoC
2010-01-03, 08:45 PM
I'm moderately curious about what people think of me here. I suspect the little there is will be negative though.

I care a lot more about what people think IRL and am constantly trying to improve the way I present myself there.

Moff Chumley
2010-01-03, 08:55 PM
Not like that one guy I always ignore. "Moss Chumfrey" or whatever his name is. I don't even bother to read those.

A wise move. The guy probably isn't worth listening to...

GallóglachMaxim
2010-01-03, 10:42 PM

Actually, you were one of the people I was thinking of when I wrote that. There was a point when I was talking to you in the Australia thread and her (I assume from the avatar) in something else, and there were some '....hang on' moments.

golentan
2010-01-03, 10:52 PM
A wise move. The guy probably isn't worth listening to...

Yeah. And I'd never consider responding.

Say, you're pretty cool.:smallsmile:

Sneak
2010-01-03, 10:54 PM
I really have absolutely no idea what people think of me. I just, well, do ****.

It's always nice if I leave a positive impression, of course, but eh, I'll take what I can get. At least a leaving a negative impression is slightly more favorable than being completely forgettable.

cycoris
2010-01-03, 11:05 PM
You know, I don't make dolls for people I don't like.

:smallbiggrin:

Yay, someone likes me!

I'm always afraid that I sound too much like the bratty know-it-all I was when I was six. :smallsigh:

And sometimes I worry that people will take me too seriously and take offence at something that I meant jokingly.

Anuan
2010-01-04, 02:44 AM
...You get along better with girls than with guys, don't you? :smallbiggrin: (But thanks)

Yes. Yes, I do. In general, anyway. Online girls, anyway. Now that cycoris has appeared here I'm going to have to mention her awesomeness, too :smalltongue:

Oh, also Kneenibble. You, sir, are amazing. If I weren't heterosexual...:smalltongue:

Lioness
2010-01-04, 06:03 AM
Sneak - your avatar picture looks like someone who used to go to my school.

Cycoris - I remember you pretty much from NaNo. You are awesome.

Anuan - awesome as well.

Zincorium
2010-01-04, 08:28 AM
Well, I was wrong about not having a clear understanding of the impression you're making.

I am now on a poster's ignore list for being "rude".

Yes, on the internet, I am now so uncivil that I can no longer be paid attention to. Should I be concerned about this?

Lioness
2010-01-04, 08:45 AM
Yes, on the internet, I am now so uncivil that I can no longer be paid attention to. Should I be concerned about this?

Not at all. I haven't noticed you being rude, uncivil, or otherwise unsavoury.

loopy
2010-01-04, 08:59 AM
I really have absolutely no idea what people think of me. I just, well, do ****.

I think positively of you, you make insightful/interesting posts, and have a cute sister to boot! :smallwink:

Don't take me particularly seriously though, I don't need someone else telling me to:

-Stay away from their sister
-Stay away from their daughter
-Stay away from their girlfriend (Purely accidental, its not like they had a ring on)
-Get off their plane!

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-01-04, 09:00 AM
...Sneak has a sister on here? :smallamused:

GolemsVoice
2010-01-04, 09:07 AM
I try to leave a good expression, to be reasonable, and see both things of an argument before I write anything. At best, my posts should be calm and funny, if applicable. I also consider if people above me have said the same thing, maybe better, and often get the feeling that I can't provide much valuable insight.
I don't know how much of that comes across, however.

Only when the thread's about Lovecraft or Warcraft. Then it's ON.

loopy
2010-01-04, 09:10 AM

Nope, he just made the mistake of once posting a picture of both of them looking cute. :smallbiggrin:

truemane
2010-01-04, 09:31 AM
Happily, I'm old enough in RL that other people's opinions of me mean less than they used to. Popularity isn't so big an issue any more. So long as my direct supervisors don't dislike me enough to remove me from gainful employment I'm fine.

My biggest problem, so far as other people's opinion of me go, is that I have this habit of appearing far more interested in people's problems than I am. It's not deliberate. BELIEVE me it's not. My uh-huh-yeah-you-don't-say face must just be very sympathetic. So I have several 'friends' in RL who's sole connection to me is that they feel comfortable complaining about their issues when I'm within earshot.

So far as the Playground goes, I think I'm almost completely unknown outside of Arts & Crafts. I've just started my initial forays in the PbP Gaming forum, so we'll see where that takes me. I read the RPG forums and the Homebrew forums quite regularly, so I think I have stronger impressions of most the folks who've posted in this thread so far then they might have of me.

Which is cool. That means I'm like an opinion ninja. You’re wandering near the tall grass, I dart from the shadows, offer several pointed and informed value judgements, and fade away again.

KuReshtin
2010-01-04, 09:52 AM
Happily, I'm old enough in RL that other people's opinions of me mean less than they used to. Popularity isn't so big an issue any more. So long as my direct supervisors don't dislike me enough to remove me from gainful employment I'm fine.

This. Very much this.

My biggest problem, so far as other people's opinion of me go, is that I have this habit of appearing far more interested in people's problems than I am. It's not deliberate. BELIEVE me it's not. My uh-huh-yeah-you-don't-say face must just be very sympathetic. So I have several 'friends' in RL who's sole connection to me is that they feel comfortable complaining about their issues when I'm within earshot.

Also this. I'm too nice for my own good. I've had this pointed out to me several times as well.

itP, I honestly don't contribute a whole lot. I do tend to go on and on about some things that I feel the urge to comment on. And the comments tend to not make a whole lot of sense in the end. Or maybe that's what I think of my own posts. I dunno.

Trog
2010-01-04, 09:57 AM
I'd imagine people on here generally think of me as a troglodyte. Take that how you will.

As to the character of Trog... well...

*Trog pokes his head into the chat room and sees a glowing green award on a pedestal. Lighting a Coffin Nail he saunters casually over to it and stoops to read the inscription*

Let's see here... it says "Liked in the Playground: Trog"

:smalleek: What?! Wow!! :smallbiggrin: *picks up award happily* Trog never knew Trog was so well received here what with the excessive drinking and the smoking and um... you know the throwing up... in the corners of various threads from... uh... all the drinking and... well and from the smoking too, really.

But still! This is GREAT! :smallsmile: Trog never ever expecte...

*large tumor shaped lumps sprout out all over Trog's scaly skin with little popping noises*

:smallconfused: What the...? *examines trophy more closely* Some small print here at the bottom... let's see here... *squints* Made from 100% plutonium waste.

:smalleek: Oh my. *looks at tumors rapidly growing*

*looks up again* Admiral Ackbar is gonna appear here any second isn't he? Damn.

Quincunx
2010-01-04, 10:12 AM
Only when the thread's about Lovecraft or Warcraft. Then it's ON.

So, all's fair in Lovecraft or Warcraft. . .? :smallamused:

GolemsVoice
2010-01-04, 10:27 AM
So, all's fair in Lovecraft or Warcraft. . .?

Well, I try to not let my crazy love for those particular topics cloud my judgement, and I try to see why others dislike it, but while I can ignore other topics I might have an oppinion to, I MUST comment on those. Lovecraft moreso, since he gets mentioned more often, and is easily misunderstood.

golentan
2010-01-04, 10:48 AM
Oh, also Kneenibble. You, sir, are amazing. If I weren't heterosexual...:smalltongue:

I feel the strong urge to grab Knee and shout "MINE!!!"

After all, I need a quick lunch to go. Travel and all.

Dragonrider
2010-01-04, 11:01 AM
It's always nice if I leave a positive impression, of course, but eh, I'll take what I can get. At least a leaving a negative impression is slightly more favorable than being completely forgettable.

You're awesome, Mr Sneakly. :smallamused:

Yay, someone likes me!

Someone also didn't credit me as her avatarist . . . :smallwink:

Yes. Yes, I do. In general, anyway.

I often get on better with guys, although these days because I live in an all-girls' dorm, most of my friends are female.

I'd imagine people on here generally think of me as a troglodyte. Take that how you will.

:smallbiggrin: "Think of you as a troglodyte"? Dude, you're like, Mr Amazing Forum Icon. ....for being a troglodyte. Take what you can get, yeah?

Pyrian
2010-01-04, 11:59 AM
So, all's fair in Lovecraft or Warcraft. . .? :smallamused::smallbiggrin: Sig'd.

The Rose Dragon
2010-01-04, 12:14 PM
I'm awesome. People apparently think I'm awesome. At least, they used to think I was awesome, since I had awesome hair. Now I don't have awesome hair anymore, I have to rely on my personality to make a good impression.

Which is not good.

Mystic Muse
2010-01-04, 12:38 PM
Well, I was wrong about not having a clear understanding of the impression you're making.

I am now on a poster's ignore list for being "rude".

I haven't noticed you being uncivil.:smallconfused:

Sneak
2010-01-04, 12:40 PM
I think positively of you, you make insightful/interesting posts, and have a cute sister to boot! :smallwink:

Nope, he just made the mistake of once posting a picture of both of them looking cute. :smallbiggrin:

...I, er, don't have a sister.

I posted a picture of me with my mom once, I think. :smalleek:

I did also post a picture of me with a couple of female friends, but they're both Asian, so I don't see why you would've thought one of them was my sister.

I think you're just mistaking me for someone else. :smalltongue:

Zincorium
2010-01-04, 12:42 PM
I haven't noticed you being uncivil.:smallconfused:

I am an evil, no good person. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7625557&postcount=289)

GolemsVoice
2010-01-04, 12:54 PM
I either fail to see an in-joke, or you're not being uncivil at all. Not going out of your way to be friendly, but nowhere near rude.

Mystic Muse
2010-01-04, 01:06 PM
I either fail to see an in-joke, or you're not being uncivil at all. Not going out of your way to be friendly, but nowhere near rude.

yeah, that's not really worth blocking somebody over.

GolemsVoice
2010-01-04, 01:09 PM
Ah, I assume this is the post he got ignored for?

Coplantor
2010-01-04, 01:50 PM
Sneak! Come on! You were there on my list of "playgrounders I want to know in RL". So that meanseither I think good of you or that I really want to punch you in the face.

(want a clue? The second one is false! Shhhhh!)

Gamerlord
2010-01-04, 02:01 PM
I am an evil, no good person. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7625557&postcount=289)

LOL WHAT?!

Seriously though, why would somebody ignore you for that?
If you go unto the internet, even here, you need to have a thick skin, somebody should put a sign on google's homepage that says "WARNING: NO CRYBABIES ALLOWED ON INTERNET!"

Also, I have a sister on these forums, fortunately you don't know which forumer she is, go on, GUESS! :smallamused:

Rutskarn
2010-01-04, 02:08 PM
I've gotten generally good vibes from the playground. At least one person told me that I kinda scare them, and a few people have told me I intimidate them in various ways, but if you guys are harboring some sort of death curse for the Skarn, you're hiding it pretty well.

Gamerlord
2010-01-04, 02:10 PM
... but if you guys are harboring some sort of death curse for the Skarn, you're hiding it pretty well.

I plan on turning into a zombie and turning everyone in the playground into a zombie, including you, when the zombie apocalypse comes, does that count?

Coplantor
2010-01-04, 02:19 PM
Rutskarn, have I mentioned that I'm building an altar for you?

Dragonrider
2010-01-04, 02:34 PM
Also, I have a sister on these forums, fortunately you don't know which forumer she is, go on, GUESS! :smallamused:

And I have two brothers on these forums, but you don't know who they are. :smallbiggrin: OOOOOH! gamerkidisnotmybrother

Cristo Meyers
2010-01-04, 02:35 PM
And I have two brothers on these forums, but you don't know who they are. :smallbiggrin: OOOOOH! gamerkidisnotmybrother

3 brothers
2 nieces
1 wife

...eat it. :smalltongue:

Gamerlord
2010-01-04, 02:36 PM

Shes right, I am not her brother, thankfully :smalltongue: .

I doubt 99% of you have even seen my sister's username, seeing as how she is a pixie.

Coplantor
2010-01-04, 02:38 PM

I doubt 99% of you have even seen my sister's username, seeing as how she is a pixie.

Well, it depends on wich part of the forum she spends most of her time, I recall one well known poster over at FFRP who managed to stay a ghost itp for a loooong time

The Rose Dragon
2010-01-04, 02:38 PM
3 brothers
2 nieces
1 wife

...eat it. :smalltongue:

Adopted or real? Cause if the former, I can easily top that (I have at least five sisters at the moment, two mothers, one uncle and one cousin).

Reinholdt
2010-01-04, 02:41 PM
Well, it depends on which part of the forum she spends most of her time, I recall one well known poster over at FFRP who managed to stay a ghost itp for a loooong time
Really? That's crazy. Why would anyone want to do that? :smallconfused:

Cristo Meyers
2010-01-04, 02:42 PM

In constant danger of being hugged?

Dragonrider
2010-01-04, 02:45 PM

You got a problem with me, kid? :smallamused:

My 16-year-old brother has been a member since 2005, but he's hardly on anymore. (Wait . . . just checked . . . he last logged in last night. Heh. But he's a barbarian.)

The 12-year-old is a poor-spelling dwarfling. :smallamused:

And the foster sis (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=42788)is here.

:smallbiggrin: You know we love you, Reinholdt.

@Cristo: I'm with TRD. Real or are you talking about Tooby, Mordy, etc?

Gamerlord
2010-01-04, 02:46 PM
Well, it depends on wich part of the forum she spends most of her time, I recall one well known poster over at FFRP who managed to stay a ghost itp for a loooong time

She spends her time at SMBG.

Reinholdt
2010-01-04, 02:46 PM
In constant danger of being hugged?

Oh. Ok. Makes sense now.
That's a really good reason. :smallsmile:

@ DR - Hush!
>>
<<
*flees*

Prime32
2010-01-04, 02:52 PM
She spends her time at SMBG.I thought you were talking about Neknoh for a second.

Cristo Meyers
2010-01-04, 02:52 PM
@Cristo: I'm with TRD. Real or are you talking about Tooby, Mordy, etc?

When am I ever being serious?

Coplantor
2010-01-04, 03:00 PM
She spends her time at SMBG.

There, SMBG posts doesnt count for the title change.

Rutskarn
2010-01-04, 05:12 PM
I plan on turning into a zombie and turning everyone in the playground into a zombie, including you, when the zombie apocalypse comes, does that count?

Pfft. If I was counting stuff like that, I wouldn't have bothered posting. I don't have time to write a novel, here.

Teddy90
2010-01-04, 05:12 PM
AMazing, sensational, Great.

RabbitHoleLost
2010-01-04, 07:03 PM
I pretty much know half the playground hates me, and the other half loves me.
And its quite the same in reverse- I absolutely adore and dote on half of you, and the other half I don't know...or don't like.
You probably know if you're in that last grouping, because I have the distinct quality of being blunt and speaking as truthfully as possible.
As my friend from work, Mila, says, "100% all of the time".

MethosH
2010-01-04, 10:16 PM
And its quite the same in reverse- I absolutely adore and dote on half of you, and the other half I don't know...or don't like.
You probably know if you're in that last grouping, because I have the distinct quality of being blunt and speaking as truthfully as possible.

Hmm... I don't love you and I don't hate you :smalleek:
And I'm going with... you don't know me? :smallbiggrin:

loopy
2010-01-04, 10:53 PM

We don't talk all that much really, but I like you plenty.

I'm sure my kind of boastful and attention-seeking nature on the boards tends to get people annoyed at me though.

zeratul
2010-01-04, 11:49 PM
I think I'm fairly well liked within the metal thread (although I am a pantera / cradle of filth fan so some may be preparing torches and pitchforks right now)
:smalltongue:
Outside of that I'm not really sure what the forum thinks of me, as I've sort of flown off the radar for the most part this year.

Sneak
2010-01-05, 12:04 AM

I certainly don't love you, but I don't hate you either.

A bunch of people on the boards find you attractive, and you are very aware of that fact and act accordingly. You know that you're A Big Deal. That kind of bothers me, although it probably shouldn't, and it's not even necessarily your fault. Also, you're very internetty. You do the whole self-aware ironic intentional misspelling thing and the "Adjective noun is adjective" meme, and that kind of thing gets on my nerves as well. And if I'm being completely honest, I guess I'm also kind of envious of how close you are with your GitP friends, just because I don't know many people on GitP that I would call my legitimate friends. Additionally, it's completely shallow of me, but I also feel like I would like you more if you were less popular. As much as like to condemn those who let popularity influence their opinions, this critical hippo just can't help himself.

I do think you're a good person, however, and you're entertaining and intelligent. That's gotta count for something, right? :smallsmile:

You're awesome, Mr Sneakly. :smallamused:

Aw, well now, that just warms my bitter young heart. :smalltongue:

I think I'm fairly well liked within the metal thread (although I am a pantera / cradle of filth fan so some may be preparing torches and pitchforks right now)
Outside of that I'm not really sure what the forum thinks of me, as I've sort of flown off the radar for the most part this year.

I think you're nice, interesting, and cool guy, but my subcultural interests diverge so far from yours that I really feel like I can't form too strong an opinion of you one way or the other.

-----

Oh, and Loopy: you stay away from my imaginary/nonexistent sister! :smallmad:

Player_Zero
2010-01-05, 12:04 AM
So the subject has turned to how well-liked you are, eh? Hmmm...

You are descended from toads!

Impressively human society savvy toads apparently, but toads nonetheless.

Player_Zero. You're shifty, morally reprehensible, and a stark warning of the dangers of dissipation and self-abuse. I wouldn't trust you so far as I could throw you, and I always know when you've been sniffing about (my dog's been eaten, and my trash is pregnant). You're scum of the earth...

You're an arrogant, despicable waste of space with no purpose on this earth but to antagonize people.

Go die in a hole. :smallsmile:

I'm pretty loved.

MethosH
2010-01-05, 12:13 AM
I don't think anyone (but Rowsen) has any special feeling towards me. I think that I'm just 'some guy' in the playground to most of you.

loopy
2010-01-05, 12:20 AM
Oh, and Loopy: you stay away from my imaginary/nonexistent sister! :smallmad:

...Man, I swear it was you who posted those picks. Ah well, doesn't matter regardless, I've got plenty of entertainment options around here. :smallsmile:

Serpentine
2010-01-05, 12:21 AM
Regarding OP's question: Yes, always.

Ionno... It nearly seems like I either have sychophantic fanboys, or people who can't stand me :smalltongue: Alright, not really, but you know... I am a bit worried by how many people seem to think I'm scary :smallconfused: And I know I always end up sounding more angry/emotionally involved/whatever in arguments and the like than I mean to.

Alteran
2010-01-05, 12:27 AM
I've gotten generally good vibes from the playground. At least one person told me that I kinda scare them, and a few people have told me I intimidate them in various ways, but if you guys are harboring some sort of death curse for the Skarn, you're hiding it pretty well.

Keep in mind, the best death curses are the hidden ones. I'm not holding any such curse for you, but it's something to consider. As for my personal opinion of you, I consider you to be a rather consistently (and idiosyncratically) funny, nice person whose website I have been meaning to check out for months.

*scribbles down in notebook*

Process of elimination, DeeRee. Process of elimination. :smalltongue:

And since it's sort of the idea of the thread, I might as well what I say what I think of you. For as long as I've been on GitP (or at least, as long as I've been RBing), you've been one of the Big Names on the forum. I have to say, you seem to be deserving of such stature. I've found you to be a very kind, intelligent, and generally likable person. You're also the person through whom I found out about Brotherhood 2.0 and the vlogbrothers, so that's fun too.

I really don't know what Playgrounders tend to think of me, and I try not to think about it. I don't trust that I would be able to accurately judge the opinions of others, particularly through purely-textual communication, and so I'd just end up causing myself some unnecessary anxiety. I'm probably not too well known around here, but I expect that Random Banterers will recognize me. I'm not sure what degree of honesty to expect from replies to this thread, really. I suppose people who aren't comfortable with telling the truth probably just won't say anything? I guess I can't really know.

Edit:

Ionno... It nearly seems like I either have sychophantic fanboys, or people who can't stand me :smalltongue: Alright, not really, but you know... I am a bit worried by how many people seem to think I'm scary :smallconfused: And I know I always end up sounding more angry/emotionally involved/whatever in arguments and the like than I mean to.

I fall into neither category, but I'd put my feelings closer to fanboyism than loathing. I'm also not scared of you. You seem like a pretty non-scary person to me, although you do seem to be rather well-informed and articulate. I guess that can scare some people? I've noticed that you tend to be very honest as well, so I suppose people won't like that if they're doing something that attracts criticism. Or maybe it's just the snake. :smalltongue:

Sneak
2010-01-05, 12:30 AM

As long as I'm doling out Sneak's Opinions...I do think you're a bit harsh sometimes, and I don't always agree with you, but I would definitely put you among the most intelligent and capable playgrounders. And being emotionally involved in an argument isn't always a bad thing, you know.

And I can't imagine why anyone would find you scary. No offense. :smalltongue:

Hope I didn't sound like a sycophantic fanboy there—although I guess it wouldn't be too bad, because saying "sycophantic fanboy" out loud makes it sound really cool. :smalltongue:

...Man, I swear it was you who posted those picks. Ah well, doesn't matter regardless, I've got plenty of entertainment options around here. :smallsmile:

Well, if you find my hot sis, make sure to introduce me. It's not incest if we don't know each other, right? ...Right?

Okay, maybe it is, but it's like...well, it's to incest what manslaughter is to murder. Or something.

Yeah, nevermind. :smalltongue:

Oh, and I do care much more about what people think of me than I like to admit or let on, generally (although you may have picked up on it anyway), because I'm probably the most insecure sonofabitch on the planet. Yeah, I've got issues. :smalltongue:

Reinholdt
2010-01-05, 12:38 AM
You know I almost forgot that I do have a death curse for you. Fortunately you brought this up and reminded me.

You killed Fox :smallyuk: in the most awesome way possible, granted.
And for that you shall pay! Twopence due on the fifteenth of the month or I'll send the collection agencies after you!

cycoris
2010-01-05, 12:49 AM
...Now I'm curious as to whether Sneak even knows who I am, and what he thinks of me if he does. 'Cause I think he's awesome.

Em Blackleaf
2010-01-05, 12:54 AM
It's kind of late into the thread, but I'm curious as to how the Playground views me. I really care what people think of me, if you can't see that. I'm not sure if I make that particularly apparent.

I already know that at least some people like me (or are acting like it).

I think I have trouble forming friendships and even opinions about people online, since I'm more of a face-to-face person. I don't even like phone conversations over talking to a person face-to-face. I just don't get to know someone unless I know them IRL and I don't have much to form an opinion on unless I know a person well.

So, if something worth saying about someone crosses my mind, I guess I'll come back to this thread and say it. I can't think of anything now.

Serpentine
2010-01-05, 01:02 AM
And I can't imagine why anyone would find you scary. No offense. :smalltongue:None taken - I can't, either :smallwink: And honestly, I find compliments far more believable when accompanied by a bit of criticism. Is that odd?

Em: You're ridiculously cute, but down-to-earth and cool enough to not be sickly.

Hrm. I hope this thread isn't turning into another What Do You Think Of TPAY?* thread...

*When I start it, it's inciting flaming. But when someone else starts it... :smallannoyed:

Dallas-Dakota
2010-01-05, 01:09 AM
Em: You know I like you.:smallwink:

Alteran: You da cube!

Serpentine, read page 2 or 3. I pretty much already said that I was afraid that it was gonna turn into that....

Kneenibble
2010-01-05, 01:16 AM

I confess, my impression of you changed drastically after I saw your picture you posted.

I'm sure that people go :eek: when a person's photo doesn't look at all like their forum persona just as often as the face seems to perfectly match the character.

loopy
2010-01-05, 01:17 AM
It's kind of late into the thread, but I'm curious as to how the Playground views me. I really care what people think of me, if you can't see that. I'm not sure if I make that particularly apparent.

Small, cute, and small.

And your avatar always makes me think you are a five year old, but that can't be helped. :smallsmile:

Solaris
2010-01-05, 01:35 AM
I... don't give a tarrasque's bedsores what is thought of me. I prefer it be positive, but if you don't not gonna shed a tear.

What? Nonsense, everyone knows that your continued health and wellbeing is entirely dependent on what people you'll never meet think of you.

I'm moderately curious about what people think of me here. I suspect the little there is will be negative though.

I care a lot more about what people think IRL and am constantly trying to improve the way I present myself there.

I have a reasonably positive association with you, considering we generally tend to end up on the same sides of arguments.

I'd have to agree, that doesn't even blip the radar of stuff I'll say to someone who talks without thinking.
As someone's sig points out, this is the Internet. Being informed takes only ten seconds longer than being uninformed.

... Don't panic, don't panic, he's not onto us. He's bluffing.

Well, I'd play a game with you as the DM, but I don't know about sycophantic fanboyism. We simply happen to have similar DMing styles, from what I could tell, and your responses tend less towards the "RARGH! Blood for the Blood God!" end of the spectrum than mine do - hence why I'll go "What Serp said" rather than go out and collect my daily skulls.

SurlySeraph
2010-01-05, 01:38 AM
I assume people think that I generally don't know what I'm talking about, since I tend to post the first thing that pops into my head rather than a fuller examination of the topic I'm responding to. The fact that I tend to write "Hm." at the start or other indications that thought went into the post probably doesn't help with that. I think I might be considered a bit reactionary and resistant to change, since I tend to make jokes in that direction ("You damn kids get off my lawn!" and such). Other than that, I don't think I'm considered anything special. I had a more distinct persona when I posted in the SMBGs a lot, but that was such a timesuck that I stopped posting there altogether.

My impressions:

Bor, the Barbarian Monk, who hasn't posted here yet but whom I want to mention because he's awesome: Kind and caring to the point of sainthood, gives very good advice, moderately self-hating, with much worse luck than he deserves (though better than some people I know of).

Dallas-Dakota: Strong positive impression, good sense of humor, nice person, occasionally awful luck.

Dragonrider: Vague warmth and goodness.

Mauve Shirt: Good sense of humor.

Moff Chumley: Esoteric taste in music, music seems to be his life, not much other impression.

Coplantor: Generally a good guy.

Jibar: Good person. Deeply insecure person. Mildly eccentric, in an adorable way. Sets off every protective instinct I have.

Morty: Quiet, but generally knowledgeable.

Quincunx: Kinda distant and confusing. I tend to read your posts and then spend a few seconds trying to decide whether I got the point you were trying to get across or not. Your posts are clearly not gibberish, I just have trouble processing them.

The Demented One: Nice guy, good guy, responsive to others' questions and comments, one of the giants of homebrew.

RabbitHoleLost: You're... you. I dunno, you have a pretty distinct personality. It hadn't really occurred to me whether I had a positive or negative view of you, you're distinctive enough that I think it would be hard to have an inaccurate view of you. I guess I'd say positive, though.

Em Blackleaf: Fun to banter with, sets off my protective instincts.

Kneenibble: You really remind me of Ian, a friend of mine. Perhaps a bit more open and direct than he is, but very similar. So every time I see your posts it's colored by what I think of that guy. This is a good thing, in case you were wondering.

Now they're even trying to take my position away. :smallsigh: :smalltongue:
I bet someone'll lie and say they like me.

My impression of most people and myself is bad, because I'm oversensitive to things.
I think most people see me, online and offline, as vaguely annoying and eccentric.

I don't have a strong sense of your personality, just a vaguely positive one. I feel like you posted some things that I really liked, but had a different avatar at the time and so I'm not entirely sure that it was you I'm thinking of.

Really can't say as I know if anyone likes or dislikes me (liking or disliking the homebrew I write isn't the same btw). But then again... I don't know if I really like or dislike anyone here myself. There are those who can generate a mild annoyance or exasperation, but that's about it.

That's one thing I think is the double edged sword of GITP. Never really know a person til you've riled them up and gotten beyond their public face. GITP rules, while keeping things civil and relatively sane, also rarely lets you provoke anyone to the real person behind the avatar.

I rarely need to do anything to go beyond the rules though (blatantly at least), so generally what you see is me.

I think you seem to have slightly odd interests (but hell, that applies to everyone here), are friendly, have a decent sense of humor, and make really good homebrew. Other than that, I really don't have a sense of your personality. You seem like a good enough guy.

I have a distinct impression that you have waaaay more common sense and life experience than I do, but I wouldn't call myself sycophantic. You do seem to get emotional, but not that emotional.

*negative quotes*

I'm pretty loved.

Frankly? I think that you take pride in having people pissed off at you, and intentionally provoke them for that purpose. Other than that tendency, I've liked what I've seen of you. You have a pretty good sense of humor.

If I didn't mention you, it's probably because I don't have a strong enough impression of you to say anything. But if you want to know my opinion, ask.

Serpentine
2010-01-05, 01:46 AM
I have a distinct impression that you have waaaay more common sense and life experience than I do, but I wouldn't call myself sycophantic. You do seem to get emotional, but not that emotional.Life experience? I'm still at uni and likely to stay in education for at least another year, very middle-class upbringing (I had to lend money to my dad for dinner occasionally, at one point, but that's the closest I've ever been to poverty or anything), never been out of the country, only recently discovered just how flaming big Australia is (Cairns is like another country, and if I'd taken notice no doubt central Aus would've felt the same way), only had my heart broken once, had reasonably ordinary relationships, only person I've really known who's died is my Grandmother, present dramas aside my family generally gets along pretty well... Life experience? Hardly.
Maybe I just have a good imagination... :smallwink:
But thanks.

Silverraptor
2010-01-05, 01:49 AM
I've been always trying to make a reputation of myself on this forum, and hopefully a good one. I guess now's the chance to see what people think of me...:smallcool:

loopy
2010-01-05, 01:52 AM
I've been always trying to make a reputation of myself on this forum, and hopefully a good one. I guess now's the chance to see what people think of me...:smallcool:

I don't have much of an impression of you bar "Silverraptor writes well"... Though I suppose that is something? :smallsmile:

Silverraptor
2010-01-05, 01:57 AM
I don't have much of an impression of you bar "Silverraptor writes well"... Though I suppose that is something? :smallsmile:

Works for me!:smallbiggrin:

And I've been inspired to write the next part in the shipping. After I get a good nights rest of course. I can b-barely keep m-my eyes o...open...

*Wonk*

ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

loopy
2010-01-05, 01:59 AM
Works for me!:smallbiggrin:

And I've been inspired to write the next part in the shipping. After I get a good nights rest of course. I can b-barely keep m-my eyes o...open...

*Wonk*

ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

*nudges with foot*

Ah well. I've found tonights dinner!

*hangs Silverraptor up by his feet, goes off to fetch the cleavers*

Solaris
2010-01-05, 02:03 AM

Who're you again?

Anuan
2010-01-05, 03:08 AM
I recognise Silverraptor by name and also cause of his usual avatar and the awesomeness of the concept of a mercurial raptor running around...

I have a lot of respect for Solaris, too, even if I disagree sometimes.

Zeb The Troll
2010-01-05, 05:37 AM
Life experience? I'm still at uni and likely to stay in education for at least another year, very middle-class upbringing (I had to lend money to my dad for dinner occasionally, at one point, but that's the closest I've ever been to poverty or anything), never been out of the country, only recently discovered just how flaming big Australia is (Cairns is like another country, and if I'd taken notice no doubt central Aus would've felt the same way), only had my heart broken once, had reasonably ordinary relationships, only person I've really known who's died is my Grandmother, present dramas aside my family generally gets along pretty well... Life experience? Hardly.
But thanks.That's what crosses my mind when I read your posts in the various "helping people" threads like RW&A: "Imagine if she had the wealth of experience to go along with all of that insight. Amazing."

That may sound worse than it is. I just mean that you seem very insightful for someone so young, and once your experience catches up, it will no doubt compound your insight to an extraordinary level. I mean it in a very good way.

Serpentine
2010-01-05, 05:45 AM
Thanks, Zeb :smallsmile:
At least I can say I have more sympathy for jealousy and cheater-haters and the broken-hearted, now :smallsigh:

GolemsVoice
2010-01-05, 06:18 AM
I like Surly Seraph, he was one of the two people that kept commenting on my Stalker LP.

Recaiden
2010-01-05, 07:19 AM

Well, I'm afraid of you, but you're not scary.

You do sound emotional in arguments, but now I know you aren't. Hmm. Very impressive that you give off the appearance of more emotion.

And you know I admire you: good person, good artist, insightful, etc. etc.

Serpentine
2010-01-05, 07:23 AM
I meant more, "more emotionally invested than I actually am" in a topic... But thankee. You need to grow a self-esteem :smalltongue:

Recaiden
2010-01-05, 07:32 AM
You need to grow a self-esteem :smalltongue:

I need to be less critical of everything. I know. I'm working on it. :smallsigh:

And that's what I meant. It just seemed awkward to type 'emotionally invested' several times. Sorry?

MethosH
2010-01-05, 08:09 AM

I kind of like you :smallbiggrin:
I would say that I like you but I don't really know you that well.
On the other hand you have the cutest avatar around.

Well, I think you are cool. :smallcool:

Sneak
2010-01-05, 09:06 AM
...Now I'm curious as to whether Sneak even knows who I am, and what he thinks of me if he does. 'Cause I think he's awesome.

Heh. Well, thanks. Of course I know who you are. I don't think we've ever really interacted, though. You seem really sweet and nice and intelligent and stuff, but I like it when people are a bit caustic sometimes. Maybe that's just me.

You have good taste in music.

(Also, you seem like a nice person, but that's not important. :smalltongue:)

None taken - I can't, either :smallwink: And honestly, I find compliments far more believable when accompanied by a bit of criticism. Is that odd?

No, that's reasonable. It's seems reasonable to assume that most people don't think you're a perfect being without any flaws. Thus, if they post criticism as well as compliments, it seems like they're being more open and honest and not just sucking up to you.

That said, compliments are still nice. :smalltongue:

Hrm. I hope this thread isn't turning into another What Do You Think Of TPAY?* thread...

Not to knock on that thread, but many FBers don't go there and I'd like to hear their opinions. And to be honest, most of the posts on that thread are just "TPAM is hilarious, awesome, cool, and helped my grandma cross the street last week. Sadly, he didn't manage to save the baby bird across the block from falling out of its nest, but he sure as heck tried his darndest. TPAM, will you marry me? Of course you will, because you're so sweet and amazing. Yay!"

Gamerlord
2010-01-05, 09:40 AM
I don't think anyone (but Rowsen) has any special feeling towards me. I think that I'm just 'some guy' in the playground to most of you.

Thankfully, nobody here has special feelings to me here, cause that would be creepy.

Nobody has special feelings for me, right guys? Guys?

Trog
2010-01-05, 10:22 AM
:smallbiggrin: "Think of you as a troglodyte"? Dude, you're like, Mr Amazing Forum Icon. ....for being a troglodyte. Take what you can get, yeah?
*Stops examining the now huge tumors, looks around for a bit then points up in the sky* Whoa! What is that?! :smalleek:

*nabs the words "Mr Amazing Forum Icon" and runs away yelling*

:smallamused: Good advice! Haha! You'll never catch Trog now!
Trog's mom always said Trog was a good peeersoooon...
It's Trog's! All Trogs! Whoop whoop whoop! ... ...... ... .....

*collapses somewhere in the distance. An arm raises to the sky*

Medic!

Dragonrider
2010-01-05, 11:51 AM
I gotta say, I share some people's concerns about this thread, because it seems like the sort of place where people come and post for sympathy. But that might be cynical. :smalltongue: Just . . . a lot of threads about popularity turn into "How many times d'you think I'll be mentioned? None? Better post so people don't forget about me!" (Of which I have been as guilty as anyone, although to be honest I couldn't care less anymore. Not because I don't care about you guys, but it just seems like what people say when presented with the direct question is less important than how they interact.

Then again, they could just be good actors. I know there have been some posters [not really around anymore] of whom I was less than fond but to whom I was particularly polite to make up for it. And try and beat those "whom"s for pompousness, why don't you? :smalltongue:)

Still . . . I'm still here and responding to anyone who vaguely mentions me. :smallamused: Hubris, I name thee. :smallbiggrin:

*nabs the words "Mr Amazing Forum Icon" and runs away yelling*

Um . . . bye . . . :smallamused:

Process of elimination, DeeRee. Process of elimination. :smalltongue:

Curse my flapping tongue!

(By the way - flapping tongue. How come we don't use that much anymore? I should have said "a pox on" it as well, just for good measure. Also, excessive parenthesis?)

And since it's sort of the idea of the thread, I might as well what I say what I think of you. For as long as I've been on GitP (or at least, as long as I've been RBing), you've been one of the Big Names on the forum. I have to say, you seem to be deserving of such stature. I've found you to be a very kind, intelligent, and generally likable person. You're also the person through whom I found out about Brotherhood 2.0 and the vlogbrothers, so that's fun too.

I didn't realize you learn about B2.0 from me, but that's great. :smallbiggrin: Two years ago, when I first started watching (right at the end of every-day videos) I was, like, the only Nerdfighter in the whole Playground and now there are a TON. It's a nice feeling.

I don't know if I can take credit for you thinking I'm nice, though, because I feel like sometimes I'm overly unforgiving of silliness (seems as if the longer I'm here the more likely I am to write people off, which is a baaaad thing) but perhaps, as I said above, it's less likely to make it onto the screen and more likely to stay in my head.

In case your worry bells are going off, the people I'm talking about are mostly relative newbies who walk into a thread, make some post screaming of "Look at me! I didn't read the OP and I want attention!" I don't usually respond, of course, because it's more a minor irritation and I don't want to quash someone's enthusiasm when they could turn out to be really nice (and if it's RB, kudos to them for having the guts to try it, anyway).

Dragonrider: Vague warmth and goodness.

Oh . . . thanks. :smallsmile: Goodness is nice.

I like it when people are a bit caustic sometimes. Maybe that's just me.

I actually know what you mean but I've never thought about it in those terms before. Like . . . supersweetness without a bite starts to irritate me after a while (might be why I like dark chocolate). I feel like it indicates trying too hard to be liked, which is, naturally, the worst of sins. :smallwink: The flip side is that people who seem artificially sarcastic can be equally frustrating.

At the same time, people whose automatic response to everything is attack are FAR more annoying. Because all-sweet people are harmless and the last thing they want is to offend; those who just seem to want to argue drive me absolutely crazy.

(I think you're cool, Sneak, because it seems like you don't care. Not about things - it's annoying when people are too cool for that - but about what people think. I've always thought that, but it's also the impression I've gained from your posts in this thread. You seem self-assured enough to be okay with whatever impression people gain, which allows you to say what you think or just be off-the-wall - that's something I've always wanted to be able to do.)

END EPICALLY LONG MULTIQUOTING POST.

MethosH
2010-01-05, 12:17 PM
Thankfully, nobody here has special feelings to me here, cause that would be creepy.

Nobody has special feelings for me, right guys? Guys?

:smallamused: roawr

Sneak
2010-01-05, 12:49 PM
I actually know what you mean but I've never thought about it in those terms before. Like . . . supersweetness without a bite starts to irritate me after a while (might be why I like dark chocolate). I feel like it indicates trying too hard to be liked, which is, naturally, the worst of sins. :smallwink: The flip side is that people who seem artificially sarcastic can be equally frustrating.

At the same time, people whose automatic response to everything is attack are FAR more annoying. Because all-sweet people are harmless and the last thing they want is to offend; those who just seem to want to argue drive me absolutely crazy.

Yeah, that's pretty much exactly what I mean. Although I'm not sure I would agree that people who attack all the time are far more annoying than all-sweets. I will say that I like people who are all-sweet more than people who are all-bite, but I think I find all-bite people more...interesting, simply because of the controversy that tends to surround them.

(I think you're cool, Sneak, because it seems like you don't care. Not about things - it's annoying when people are too cool for that - but about what people think. I've always thought that, but it's also the impression I've gained from your posts in this thread. You seem self-assured enough to be okay with whatever impression people gain, which allows you to say what you think or just be off-the-wall - that's something I've always wanted to be able to do.)

Hah. Well, thanks. Like I said, I actually do care quite a bit about what people think of me. I just don't care enough to alter or temper my behavior to get a different response. So I still worry about whether people like me, I just won't do anything to make sure they do. Probably not the best combo, but it works for me, I guess.

Dragonrider
2010-01-05, 01:04 PM
I will say that I like people who are all-sweet more than people who are all-bite, but I think I find all-bite people more...interesting, simply because of the controversy that tends to surround them.

Mmm. I do see that distinction. I think it's a matter of degree . . . if their attacks have an interesting point, than yeah, I'm interested in them because they seem like insightful people who are just impatient with others' failings. If, however, it seems like they just enjoy hurling insults for insults' sake (this does not include people like P_Z and Rutskarn, who are funny about it; just those who take themselves too seriously), then I have little patience.

Hah. Well, thanks. Like I said, I actually do care quite a bit about what people think of me. I just don't care enough to alter or temper my behavior to get a different response. So I still worry about whether people like me, I just won't do anything to make sure they do. Probably not the best combo, but it works for me, I guess.

I think a certain degree of cavalier-ness makes people better liked. (As opposed to attempting to ingratiate themselves.)

Gamerlord
2010-01-05, 01:12 PM
Yeah, that's pretty much exactly what I mean. Although I'm not sure I would agree that people who attack all the time are far more annoying than all-sweets. I will say that I like people who are all-sweet more than people who are all-bite, but I think I find all-bite people more...interesting, simply because of the controversy that tends to surround them.

Would you say I am all-sweet or all-bite?

Just wondering.

cycoris
2010-01-05, 01:16 PM
Heh. Well, thanks. Of course I know who you are. I don't think we've ever really interacted, though. You seem really sweet and nice and intelligent and stuff, but I like it when people are a bit caustic sometimes. Maybe that's just me.

Moi, sweet?

Oh dear. :smalleek:

What have I done? :smallconfused:

Dr. Bath
2010-01-05, 01:24 PM
You're all as sweet as fructose. Sweeter perhaps. With a smattering of arrogance. Or vise versa. That is my general impression of most people here.

Sneak
2010-01-05, 01:58 PM
Would you say I am all-sweet or all-bite?

Just wondering.

Honestly? Sorry, but I have absolutely no idea. I just don't know you very well. I recognize your name and your avatar and I remember some of your posts, but I don't really have a good impression of who you are as a person. Also, most people are a mixture, not 100% one or the other. Hell, some people are neither.

Moi, sweet?

Oh dear. :smalleek:

Well, uh, like I said, I really haven't talked to you at all, so maybe I'm completely off base here. Take my comments with a mountain of salt.

EDIT: Oh, and when I say sweet, I don't mean humorless. Just so you know.

Dragonrider
2010-01-05, 01:59 PM
You're all as sweet as fructose. Sweeter perhaps. With a smattering of arrogance. Or vise versa. That is my general impression of most people here.

*vice versa.

[/arrogance] :smallamused:

Actually, that wasn't arrogant, just mildly pedantic and therefore irritating. Still, it served my purpose. :smallbiggrin:

Edit: Rissy: A full character analysis would be awkward given we are currently in the same house (no, it wouldn't be negative, just weird :smallbiggrin:) but I would say that your forum persona is pretty sugar, yeah, largely because you do the Cobra thing. In fact, your posts have a very similar tone to his.

(Not saying this is a bad thing. It's not much like real-life you, though.)

Coidzor
2010-01-05, 05:35 PM

Mostly you've been a darling. :smalltongue:

I'm paranoid... and feel that the only lasting impression I've made is through having a beard. Which is an interesting feeling to feel.:smallamused:

That, and I usually assume people will get my sense of humor, even when it's being obscure, even by my standards.

amidoingitrite?

Dragonrider: sort of love-hate relationship, for whatever reason. I feel like I serve as some kind of moral bete noir. I find this to be a shame, as I rather like her when I don't disagree strongly, adamantly, and viscerally about something.

Well, that, and I just get this strange urge to noogie her.

Pyrian <_< >_> Still reminds me of someone I'm related to. Also, I am incredibly deeply jealous of his life of hattery.

Rabbit Hole Lost: Sort of initially struck me as this universal darling type. Haha. Now I just can't quite place my finger on what makes her so charming. I'm starting to suspect that her glasses have the powers of a circlet of persuasion or something equally suspicious.

Mr. Mud: Reminds me of the kind of guy you actually want to have a sworn brotherhood with.:smallbiggrin:

Sneak and Dizposition: I am incredibly reminded of this one awesome greek guy a year behind me in school who lived around the block from me in highschool. Plus I can't help but go d'aww at how adorable they are.

Curly I just find it irresistible to try to mess with her. I don't know why, either, really.

Quincunx: I actually am afraid of on some level that I'm not quite sure about. I think because I keep misinterpreting the screen name as something so dirty I can't even comprehend how it could be dirty. I think it all goes back to having a crush on her briefly and being confused as to what it was about her posting style that intrigued me so.

Ghost Warlock: I keep imagining a southern drawl alternating with Nascarspeak when I read through his posts. Something about the way he looks when he goes all squinty in his photos just reminds me of this odd portmanteau of two guys I've known before. So I feel favorably disposed towards him despite that one episode with the dress and the mushroom-ghoul.

Most of the rest of the people I recognize regularly don't really extend much beyond a general warmth in their general direction or an admiration of one of their general qualities which would readily come to mind if I but named them.

Hell Puppi
2010-01-05, 06:32 PM
Soooo...this is kind of like a more honest "Crushes ITP" thread? :smallconfused:

I have some opinions of posters here and very few of them are bad. I could go individually but that would take a while and I always feel bad to think I've left someone out.

Not that what I think really matters. I'm the wandering monster of the playground, perhaps an interesting diversion but of no real consequence :smalltongue:.

Coidzor
2010-01-05, 06:43 PM
Soooo...this is kind of like a more honest "Crushes ITP" thread? :smallconfused:

I have some opinions of posters here and very few of them are bad. I could go individually but that would take a while and I always feel bad to think I've left someone out.

Not that what I think really matters. I'm the wandering monster of the playground, perhaps an interesting diversion but of no real consequence :smalltongue:.

One could say that's what this forum is in and of itself.

... :smalleek:

zomg, a monster made out of monsters. Monster Golem? Golem Golem?

*This is why one shouldn't be capable of thinking while sick.

CrimsonAngel
2010-01-05, 06:47 PM
I know some of you hate me. I hate some of you, to.

Silverraptor
2010-01-05, 06:57 PM

And some of us like you too.:smallsmile:

golentan
2010-01-05, 07:32 PM
And some of us like you too.:smallsmile:

He didn't say that.

Silverraptor
2010-01-05, 07:34 PM
He didn't say that.

I know.:smallamused:

MethosH
2010-01-05, 07:40 PM

you hate me? :smallfrown:

CrimsonAngel
2010-01-05, 07:47 PM
No, Methos, you have done nothing to aggrivate me.

Silverraptor
2010-01-05, 07:49 PM
Hey. I'm wondering what people's impressions of Roland is. To me he's a nice, cool guy. I also love his jokes he gives from time to time.:smallbiggrin:

Sneak
2010-01-05, 07:56 PM
@Crimson: You get a bad rap that you don't deserve. You're a cool kid.

But your spelling could use a little work. :smalltongue:

Hey. I'm wondering what people's impressions of Roland is. To me he's a nice, cool guy. I also love his jokes he gives from time to time.:smallbiggrin:

Er, let's stay away from discussing our feelings about mods, shall we? Seems like that's just asking for trouble. Plus, not that I have anything bad to say about Roland, but even if I did, I wouldn't want to say it, and just hurling compliments at people isn't really what I'd like to think this thread is about.

Coplantor
2010-01-05, 07:59 PM
Oh yeah? Well... what do you thinmk about this!

*hurls a bunch of compliments*

Ha! Take that Sneak.

Moff Chumley
2010-01-05, 08:02 PM
I certainly don't love you, but I don't hate you either.

A bunch of people on the boards find you attractive, and you are very aware of that fact and act accordingly. You know that you're A Big Deal. That kind of bothers me, although it probably shouldn't, and it's not even necessarily your fault. Also, you're very internetty. You do the whole self-aware ironic intentional misspelling thing and the "Adjective noun is adjective" meme, and that kind of thing gets on my nerves as well. And if I'm being completely honest, I guess I'm also kind of envious of how close you are with your GitP friends, just because I don't know many people on GitP that I would call my legitimate friends. Additionally, it's completely shallow of me, but I also feel like I would like you more if you were less popular. As much as like to condemn those who let popularity influence their opinions, this critical hippo just can't help himself.

I do think you're a good person, however, and you're entertaining and intelligent. That's gotta count for something, right? :smallsmile:

This. I do tend to do the adjective noun is adjective thing, and perhaps a little too much ironic 1337, (:smallwink:) but I was indoctrinated into Internet culture at about age 11, so it's not an intentional thing.

Aside from that, though, and not specifically directed at RHL, this is my main complaint about people on this forum. Because, ya see, I'm a bitter and lonely bastard.

[my rageflame]

I'm pretty loved.

I was being sarcastic on that one, but I can't remember the context. I do tend to think you're a little on the narcissistic side, by which I mean a lot on the narcissistic side, but you're very witty/intelligent.

Moff Chumley: Esoteric taste in music, music seems to be his life, not much other impression.

Basically this, yes.

Playground, I'll be honest: I don't know many of you. There are a decent amount of you, though, that I don't particularly like. Then there's people like Sneak, Surley, Bor, Trog, SilentNight, and no doubt a couple more, who I respect very much. :smallsmile:

Recaiden
2010-01-05, 08:03 PM

Wasn't there a thread about this? No need to do it again.

And, do I happen to convey any impression besides lacking self-esteem? :smalltongue:

Serpentine
2010-01-05, 08:08 PM
I like you :smallsmile: Even if you are one of my sycophantic lackeys! :smalltongue: But really, the main reason your lack of self-esteem is so notable is because so far as I can tell there's not much for you to not esteem about yourself...

Dragonrider
2010-01-05, 09:36 PM
[spoiler]Dragonrider: [spoiler]sort of love-hate relationship, for whatever reason. I feel like I serve as some kind of moral bete noir. I find this to be a shame, as I rather like her when I don't disagree strongly, adamantly, and viscerally about something.

Yeah, that's probably pretty accurate. :smalltongue: Though I don't know that I'd word it quite so strongly . . . :smallamused:

loopy
2010-01-05, 09:49 PM
*pokes his head into the thread to get a bit more information as to what people think of him*

Also, if you want to know what I think about you, if anything, just ask. :smallsmile:

Serpentine
2010-01-05, 09:51 PM
I think I'd like hanging out with you, Loopy, though I suspect you'd be too "cool" for me.

DeeRee, I'd feed treats to. Make of that what you will.

CrimsonAngel
2010-01-05, 10:40 PM
There's alot of you I admire, Cobra, Rabbit, Q, Sneak, but some of my favorite plaaygrounders are Keveak, Nameless, and Bright. Kev's amazing oots art and how nice he is, Namelesses personality, and Brights cool shading and ability to make mind blowing snow effects. I like Bright's shading more than anyone elses, not to simple, not to freackin complicated.

loopy
2010-01-05, 11:26 PM
I think I'd like hanging out with you, Loopy, though I suspect you'd be too "cool" for me.

Too cool for you? I gave up on notions of coolness a long time ago, otherwise I would have considered myself a lost cause and not bothered trying to self-improve.

I'm sure we'd have fun hanging out. :smallbiggrin:

The Extinguisher
2010-01-05, 11:28 PM
I think it wasn't a wise move to change my username. I lost all my internet popularity that way. But I loves my new username. It's all awesome and sweet.

Honestly, I can say that there's no one on here I really dislike. I guess the kind of forum attracts a different kind of person then most forums I go to, that and the lack of political/religious discussions probably causes me less ire towards people. This is a good thing.

Except Fullbladder. Oh how I hate him so :smalltongue:

Dragonrider
2010-01-05, 11:34 PM
I think it wasn't a wise move to change my username. I lost all my internet popularity that way. But I loves my new username. It's all awesome and sweet.

Who were you before?

Serpentine
2010-01-05, 11:37 PM
I'm sure we'd have fun hanging out. :smallbiggrin:It would be an education :smallwink:

There's a couple of people I seem to have a deep, fundamental ideological and worldview opposition to. It's sort of beyond the possibility of dislike, per se, just complete and utter incompatibility... No hard feelings, but I don't think we would ever be friends.
And there's a couple of people who annoy the bajeebus out of me, normally only in specific contexts though unfortunately it can spill out into my attitude toward them. But not many.
For most Playgrounders, though, it's a resounding "who're you, again?" :smalltongue:

Recaiden
2010-01-05, 11:41 PM

I remember you, ex-Flame Master Axel.

Also, I just now got your new username. Maybe. Ashling. Extiguisher. *head-desk*

And I like you, but I wish you'd cheer up. :smallsmile:

loopy
2010-01-05, 11:42 PM
It would be an education :smallwink:

An education? Que?

Dragonrider
2010-01-05, 11:42 PM

Also, I just now got your new username. Maybe. Ashling. Extiguisher. *head-desk*

OHH! Okay! I get it.

Serpentine
2010-01-05, 11:44 PM
Or, to put it another way, "I'm sure I'd learn a thing or two :smallwink:"

Moff Chumley
2010-01-05, 11:46 PM
Oh, that's who Extinguisher is... :smallannoyed:

xPANCAKEx
2010-01-05, 11:49 PM
there are a few people from the playground i talk to, but for the most part im just not fussed what the vast majority think of me. Still, theres a few i'd talk to given half the chance, just for laughs over a few drinks

as for the real world - well, i've got enough friends, and i don;t wanna spread myself too thin, so im selective who i spend real time with and im pretty horrible to the rest. Yet a lot of people think im "really nice" and let me get away with some quite vile behavior only to say "oh he's a good guy really" and let me carry on

life is sweet

loopy
2010-01-06, 12:48 AM
xPANCAKEx is one of the GitPers that is closest to me in goals and values, and if we were to ever meet the volume of sheer concentrated awesome released would probably destroy the planet. :smallsmile:

Serpentine
2010-01-06, 12:49 AM
I get what you mean, but Pancake seems... meaner? more bitter? Something like that.

SurlySeraph
2010-01-06, 01:14 AM
Wait, Extinguisher was Flame Master Axel? I have, in fact, barely noticed you since you changed your name, but I recall you making me laugh out loud several times. On SMBGs, I think. I'll pay closer attention to your posts from now on.

Loopy, my only real impression of you is that you tend to know what you're talking about, though I always recognize your avatar and signature.

Life experience? I'm still at uni and likely to stay in education for at least another year, very middle-class upbringing (I had to lend money to my dad for dinner occasionally, at one point, but that's the closest I've ever been to poverty or anything), never been out of the country, only recently discovered just how flaming big Australia is (Cairns is like another country, and if I'd taken notice no doubt central Aus would've felt the same way), only had my heart broken once, had reasonably ordinary relationships, only person I've really known who's died is my Grandmother, present dramas aside my family generally gets along pretty well... Life experience? Hardly.
But thanks.

Well, I'm 19, halfway through my first year of college and going to stay there for 3 more years and probably going to do med school after that, upper-middle-class upbringing, and went to a private school with kids so rich that I literally have no scale on which to judge wealth anymore. I guess I might be considered rich, but since I was surrounded by people who bought new cell phones every month and had last names I remembered from jewelry ads and donor lists, I sure as hell can't think of myself as rich. I've traveled abroad a bit, have no romantic experience whatsoever, and haven't had anyone close to me die. Bit of family drama, but nothing that 50% of families in the US don't go through. You're probably still ahead on the life experience. Definitely way ahead of me on insightfulness.

I like Surly Seraph, he was one of the two people that kept commenting on my Stalker LP.

Start it up again. It was so awesome.

I think he's a good guy who does his job well, and manages to get in humor on the side. His "There is no mind control, citizens. Go back to your fun." post is a great example of that. I *do* think that the rules against political and religious discussion are a lot more strictly enforced than they used to be, but I wouldn't say that's a bad thing.

loopy
2010-01-06, 01:15 AM
I get what you mean, but Pancake seems... meaner? more bitter? Something like that.

Yes, I acknowledge that. I've got a friendlier more open outlook. It remains to be seen which of us influences the other, and in what ways. :smalltongue:

The Extinguisher
2010-01-06, 01:16 AM

Hey, I wish I'd cheer up too. I depress myself sometimes :smalltongue:

To the people who didn't/don't recognize me, don't worry about it. It's no big deal :smallsmile: Someone on another forum that I switched names on once told me I act too much like "that Flame Master Axel jerk" once, so I think plain anonymity is a bit better.

Temotei
2010-01-06, 01:21 AM
Sometimes, I feel like I'm kind of disliked here on the Playground. Maybe it's because in real life, I'm far better at interactions than I am online. Or maybe it's my grammar pirate nature.

Whatever it is, I sometimes feel like some of the people of the Playground are out to get me. :smallfrown: Maybe it's just me. :smalleek: :smallamused:

arguskos
2010-01-06, 01:27 AM
Sometimes, I feel like I'm kind of disliked here on the Playground. Maybe it's because in real life, I'm far better at interactions than I am online. Or maybe it's my grammar pirate nature.

Whatever it is, I sometimes feel like some of the people of the Playground are out to get me. :smallfrown: Maybe it's just me. :smalleek: :smallamused:
Keep making stuff like the Debaser, and I'll defend ya. :smallwink:

Also, I have a bad tendency to put my foot in my mouth, probably puts folk off. Never got the feel I was much liked or known about these parts cause of it. Oh well, I do try and make up for it when I'm stupid like that. Better to ask forgiveness than permission and all that jazz.

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2010-01-06, 03:35 AM
I'm sure people here must get very annoyed with me. I've let people down commitment-wise on here before (many times with Midget on a Horse - it will be back someday!) since I live a pretty busy life and all that.

I find it hard to convey meaning and subtleties when typing in a conversational manner, so I often revert to smileys to get what would otherwise be tone or infection across on here, which probably annoys some people who see a smiley in every post I make... :smalltongue:

But I don't think I'm well-known or anything around here anyway.

Anuan
2010-01-06, 03:55 AM
Ooh! Ooh! I sometimes act like a complete douche.

It's because, in general, I kind of am.

Temotei
2010-01-06, 04:16 AM
Ooh! Ooh! I sometimes act like a complete douche.

It's because, in general, I kind of am.

:smallbiggrin:

I haven't seen you post. Maybe I'm lucky? :smalleek: Nah. :smallredface:

Thank you arguskos. It means a lot that you like my class enough to mention it in other threads. :thog:

It makes me happy! :smallcool:

Coidzor
2010-01-06, 04:26 AM

I think it's either her hair or her nose tied for first with her cheeks in third for the source of that sort of feeling. I might be misremembering though, but I can see where you could be coming from there.

Hmm... Now I'm trying to remember what it was about FMA-***-Extinguisher that stuck out in my mind that I noticed the changeover. Other than having sympathy for a similar sort of romantic woe that both of us went through...

Kind of annoying, really, my memory. People'll do things I think are awesome and then a week or two down the line it'll have degraded into, "well, I know that I've witness awesomeness from this person, but now I can't remember what it was specifically and can't even tell if that's part of my brain turning into tapioca or it only being mildly cool at best and seeming more than it was at the time."

Which leads to far too much navel-lint-gazing.

MethosH
2010-01-06, 04:59 AM
No, Methos, you have done nothing to aggrivate me.

That is cuz I love everybody :smallbiggrin:

GolemsVoice
2010-01-06, 07:41 AM
One thing I noticed is that a lot of people, even very intelligent and profund people, seem to have a very radical opinion about their fellow human beings, or about life in general, and some will not suffer anyone who doesn't share their opinion, because they're obviously right. I find that to be very odd and it annoys me to no end, because my personal view of life is so very different.

loopy
2010-01-06, 07:52 AM
One thing I noticed is that a lot of people, even very intelligent and profund people, seem to have a very radical opinion about their fellow human beings, or about life in general, and some will not suffer anyone who doesn't share their opinion, because they're obviously right. I find that to be very odd and it annoys me to no end, because my personal view of life is so very different.

But your view is wrong! :smallfurious: