PDA

View Full Version : Most Feats Possible, SRD Only [3.5]

Dogmantra
2010-01-02, 12:14 PM
I just thought of this, and I wondered. Using only www.d20srd.org, how many feats can you get into a level 20 build? It doesn't have to be playable, but bonus points if it is. So far, the best I can think of is Monk 2/PsyWar 2/Wizard 1/Psion 1/Fighter 14.

2 bonus feats at level 1, a bonus feat at level 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 20, plus normal feats at 1, 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18 gives 22 feats by level 20. I'm sure someone else can do better. By "better", I don't necessarily mean "more feats" either. I also mean "lots of feats without resorting to too many levels of Fighter, or any of Monk".

Eloel
2010-01-02, 12:22 PM
Human Monk 2/Psywar 2/Feat Rogue 1/Feat Wizard 1/Cleric 1 (with right domains, for 2 feats)/Psion 1/Ranger 3/Elocater 1/Fighter 8 with 2 flaws

1 + 3 + 2 + 1 + 1 + 2 + 1 + 2 + 1 + 5 + 2 = 21 non-level feats
Then you get 7 feats for lvling up

For 28 feats total.

Half the feats are pre-chosen, but they're still feats.

Ernir
2010-01-02, 12:27 PM
Use elves over humans, they get more feats. :smalltongue:

SilveryCord
2010-01-02, 12:30 PM
I can get more good feats... Monk 2 might give you three bonus feats, but none of them are incredibly useful.

Feat-Rogue 2/Fighter 2/Psywar 2 gets you the most at level 6 (6 feats of your choice), and from there you..... prestige class out. Or go Barbarian or something.

(Feat Rogue is in the variant classes section; gains feats, loses sneak attacks)

Edit; ah ninja'd, and they did a better job than me

Eloel
2010-01-02, 12:31 PM
Arguably, Feat Rogue only gains 1 feat every odd level. It's replacing Sneak attack after all...

Kylarra
2010-01-02, 12:35 PM
Arguably, Feat Rogue only gains 1 feat every odd level. It's replacing Sneak attack after all...It's not replacing sneak attack -> bonus feats. It's losing sneak attack altogether for the fighter bonus feat progression.

Rogue

The rogue who favors martial training over stealth and cunning can profit if she chooses her fights carefully.
Gain

Bonus feats (as fighter).
Lose

Sneak attack. , else you'd be suggesting that SA variant fighter would purportedly get +2D6 sneak attack at level 2, I mean it is replacing feats after all. :smallwink:

The real hit to feat-rogue comes from the fact that they can't take fighter-only feats.

Quirinus_Obsidian
2010-01-02, 12:37 PM
Pathfinder Fighter 20

Every level has a feat. Plus the Pathfinder fighter is head and shoulders above the WotC fighter.

:smallbiggrin:

----------------
Now playing: The Gathering - Colorado Incident (http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/the+gathering/track/colorado+incident)
via FoxyTunes (http://www.foxytunes.com/signatunes/)

Dogmantra
2010-01-02, 12:39 PM
Human

I feel like an idiot now for forgetting this.

SilveryCord
2010-01-02, 12:42 PM
Pathfinder Fighter 20

Every level has a feat. Plus the Pathfinder fighter is head and shoulders above the WotC fighter.

:smallbiggrin:

----------------
Now playing: The Gathering - Colorado Incident (http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/the+gathering/track/colorado+incident)
via FoxyTunes (http://www.foxytunes.com/signatunes/)

And yet, Pathfinder is still incredibly unbalanced.

UglyPanda
2010-01-02, 12:48 PM
Pathfinder...This is not a Pathfinder thread. Pathfinder is not covered in the 3.5 SRD.

Flaws are included in the SRD, so any benchmarks should be increased by 2. There are also bloodlines, but most of those bonus feats are fixed.

arguskos
2010-01-02, 12:52 PM
Pathfinder Fighter 20

Not only is this a 3.5 SRD thread, but you're not even right about that. The PF Fighter only gets a feat at level 1 and each even level thereafter. Sorta like another Fighter I can think of... :smallwink:

Kylarra
2010-01-02, 12:53 PM
Not only is this a 3.5 SRD thread, but you're not even right about that. The PF Fighter only gets a feat at level 1 and each even level thereafter. Sorta like another Fighter I can think of... :smallwink:
Well they do get pseudo feats (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/basic-classes/fighter) on the odd levels. :smalltongue: but I digress.

RandomLunatic
2010-01-02, 02:50 PM
OK, here is what I came up with:

Human Fighter 4/Feat Rogue (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#rogue) 2/Bear Totem (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#bearTotemClassFeatures ) Archery Style (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#barbarian) Barbarian 3/Monk 2/TWF Ranger 3/Wizard 1/Psychic Warrior 2/Psion 1/Soulknife 1/Elocator 1

You get:
Toughness
Rapid Shot
Improved Grapple
Great Fortitude
Improved Unarmed Strike
Stunning Fist
Combat Reflexes OR Deflect Arrows
Track
Two-Weapon Fighting
Endurance
Scribe Scroll
Any Psionic, Metapsionic, or Psionic Item Creation feat
Weapon Focus (Mindblade)
Wild Talent
Sidestep Charge
5 Fighter Bonus Feats
2 Fighter Bonus Feats OR Psionic Feats
1 Bonus feat for being human
7 level-up feats

For 30 feats. In addition, Alertness is granted when your familiar and/or psicrystal is within 5 feet of you, for a grand total of 31, plsu weapon and armo prodficiencies.

Overshee
2010-01-02, 03:02 PM
Technically gestalt is in the SRD, I believe :-P

Evard
2010-01-02, 03:07 PM
yes...yes it is :D

Pyro_Azer
2010-01-02, 04:50 PM
So are flaws.

Dogmantra
2010-01-02, 05:07 PM
Technically gestalt is in the SRD, I believe :-P

Go for it. Make a build with the highest number of feats Gestalt, too.

JaronK
2010-01-02, 05:17 PM
Go Elf for the race. They get a bunch of Martial Weapon Proficiencies as feats. You wanted most feats possible right? Not most useful ones? So here's my entry

Elf Feat Rogue 20//Overwhelming Attack Monk 2/Psychic Warrior 2/Wizard 1/Ranger 3/Bear Totem Barbarian 2/X10 with two flaws.

Total Feats Gained:
4 Martial Weapon Proficiency Feats (Elf Race, Longsword, Rapier, Longbow, and Shortbow)
2 Misc feats (Flaws)
11 Fighter Bonus Feats (Feat Rogue 1-20)
4 Misc Bonus Feats (Feat Rogue 10-19)
Toughness (Bear Barbarian 1)
Improved Grapple (Bear Barbarian 2)
Power Attack (OA Monk 1)
Improved Unarmed Strike (OA Monk 1)
Improved Bull Rush (OA Monk 2)
Two Psionic or Fighter Bonus Feats (Psychic Warrior 2)
Scribe Scroll (Wizard 1)
Track (Ranger 1)
Rapid Shot (Ranger 2)
Endurance (Ranger 3)

With 10 levels still to go on one side of the gestalt, that's 31 feats. I'm sure someone can fill in the remaining 10 levels with stuff that grants more feats!

JaronK

Dogmantra
2010-01-02, 05:19 PM
Most useful is better, most is the primary target though. If I was to declare a winner, I'd look more favourably on one chosen feat than two or three decided-for-you feats.

Flickerdart
2010-01-02, 05:19 PM
Soulknives get Wild Talent for free, so that's potentially another feat.

9mm
2010-01-02, 06:36 PM
OA samuri 2 can net you two feats from a list dictated by your clan.

Ravens_cry
2010-01-02, 11:08 PM
OA samuri 2 can net you two feats from a list dictated by your clan.
But. That. Isn't. SRD.
:smallannoyed:

Lysander
2010-01-02, 11:20 PM
What about applying +0 LA templates?

For example the Blood Ghoul template grants free alertness. Downside, it's temporary and you become a vampire's slave. But a feat is a feat.

Zeta Kai
2010-01-02, 11:36 PM
But. That. Isn't. SRD.
:smallannoyed:

I think we need to state that a bit more, because they're not getting the massage.

SRD ONLY HERE.

deuxhero
2010-01-02, 11:39 PM
@ozgun92

The fact that that character doesn't get any XP penalties (while Fighter 10/Ranger 5 does) shows how stupid that rule is.

Eloel
2010-01-03, 01:51 AM
@ozgun92

The fact that that character doesn't get any XP penalties (while Fighter 10/Ranger 5 does) shows how stupid that rule is.

You actually use that rule? Wow...

Bakkan
2010-01-03, 02:12 AM
I took a look at this here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6969512&postcount=18), look at the third analysis for all of SRD. I managed to get a build with 32 "useful" feats. Adding flaws in will increase this to 34. The final build looks like

Elf Ranger 3/Bear Totem Barbarian 3/Feat Rogue 2/Monk 2/Fighter 2/Psychic Warrior 2/Cleric 1/Wizard 1/Psion 1/Soulknife 1/Elocater 1

This did not include bloodlines, which can certainly add in at least a few more. Also, for gestalt, simply replacing Fighter 2 with Feat Rogue 2 on one side and taking Fighter 20 on the others will net another 10, for a total of 44 feats.

Draz74
2010-01-03, 03:10 AM
So far, I don't think this thread has considered feats that can be granted by magic items.

The only one (in the SRD) that I can think of offhand is Alertness (dark blue Ioun Stone), which is redundant with the familiar/psicrystal trick. But I'm 80% sure there are other items that grant feats in the SRD.

Oh, and then I think there's some crazy feat-sharing madness possible with psicrystals and psionic powers. Again, I'm too tired to come up with specifics.

Xenogears
2010-01-03, 03:16 AM
That reminds me of all those feats you could get by visiting various locations. Are those in the SRD? Im too lazy to check...

Draz74
2010-01-03, 03:45 AM
That reminds me of all those feats you could get by visiting various locations. Are those in the SRD? Im too lazy to check...

No, they're in books like PHB2, DMG2, and Complete Scoundrel.

deuxhero
2010-01-03, 01:59 PM
You actually use that rule? Wow...

No, I'm saying that is why the rule is stupid and no-one uses it.

Mongoose87
2010-01-03, 02:36 PM
I think we need to state that a bit more, because they're not getting the massage.

SRD ONLY HERE.

Can I get the massage? I have back problems.

dspeyer
2010-01-03, 04:41 PM
As I read SRC, an afflicted werebadger gains agile, track, weapon finesse and iron will for la +2 and one rhd.

I can't figure out how to make lycanthropes from animals with less than one hit die. That might be able to do better.

Also, I question calling racial weapon proficiencies "feats". You might as well say that a fighter has a feat for every martial weapon in every potential splatbook.

Arakune
2010-01-03, 04:51 PM
As I read SRC, an afflicted werebadger gains agile, track, weapon finesse and iron will for la +2 and one rhd.

I can't figure out how to make lycanthropes from animals with less than one hit die. That might be able to do better.

Also, I question calling racial weapon proficiencies "feats". You might as well say that a fighter has a feat for every martial weapon in every potential splatbook.

Each single wp prof is a feat, consult the srd.

JaronK
2010-01-03, 05:01 PM

No, because elves explicitly gain them as martial weapon feats. Fighters just have proficiency. Check the SRD. Elves have more bonus feats than anyone (which comes up with the Dark Chaos shuffle).

JaronK

Dogmantra
2010-01-03, 09:00 PM
I'd count "Elven Weapon Proficiency" as a single feat, myself. Remember, the focus is on lots of good feats over lots + 5 mediocre feats.

Xenogears
2010-01-03, 09:12 PM
I'd count "Elven Weapon Proficiency" as a single feat, myself. Remember, the focus is on lots of good feats over lots + 5 mediocre feats.

yeah but if you get ten million bad feats you can chaos shuffle them into ten million awesome feats...

UglyPanda
2010-01-03, 09:46 PM
The chaos shuffle combo is not possible with only the SRD.

It should have gone without saying that this does not count for the purposes of this challenge.

Edit:
It appears I forgot the not.

dspeyer
2010-01-03, 11:37 PM
No, because elves explicitly gain them as martial weapon feats. Fighters just have proficiency. Check the SRD.

Hmm, the page for elves as a race says they get the feats, but the page for elves as a moster says they "are automatically proficient with" those weapons, and explicitely lists their feats, which do not include martial weapon proficiency. Clearly the authors of core didn't think the distinction mattered.

The war domain, however, explicitly grants the weapon proficiency feat everywhere it is referenced.

tyckspoon
2010-01-03, 11:53 PM

I've seen that argued. As well as feats for light/medium/heavy armor proficiency and shield + tower shield proficiency, because all of the armor proficiencies say "a fighter.... starts with this feat." I disagree with it, at least for the weapon profs. It's kind of hard to argue with the armor profs.

Draz74
2010-01-04, 02:34 AM
Can I get the massage? I have back problems.

You win the thread.

Mongoose87
2010-01-04, 02:38 AM

One RHD is ok, since, with single RHD, you can replace it with your first class level.