PDA

View Full Version : Build Suggestions?

Critical
2010-01-02, 01:48 PM
OK, so here's the situation. Our DM gives out our stats by the standard 4d6, take lowest away. I usually end up with pretty average ones, however this char that was played for some time and got dumped for some reason(and they decided to give it to me) is just amazing, and I couldn't allow it to go to waste.
Halfling Ninja 3
STR 14
DEX 20
CON 17
INT 16
WIS 18
CHA 16

The problem is, I don't know what to make of him. I thought about going to make him 3 Ninja/2 Fighter and take some PrC, but my ideas end there.
So, I need the suggestions for feats and next classes, keep in mind that we level up REAL SLOW, it would be best if the char was a skill-monkey(because in his game - the more, the better). He also puts a lot higher CR than we are(2 people level 2, me level 3, 2 level 5, 1 level 6 , the CR ranged from 4 to 5). The main objective is to survive, but I also want to help the group.
Also, keep in mind that my DM is strict to multi-classing, and will require me to find a mentor(well, unless it's self-taught and I RP doing stuff to learn it, fighter is good here because it's pretty much straightforward), so keep that in mind.
Oh, and you are allowed to have 1-2 magic items of your choice, some may even be homebrew(he will review it though)

So, post your ideas :)

ericgrau
2010-01-02, 01:57 PM
Straightup ranged rogue works, or ninja if you must. He can skillmonkey, and you get your sneak attacks simply by winning initiative and/or sneaking up on something. For items check out the skill boosting armor enchantments and rings, plus eyes of the eagle and goggles of minute seeing. At low level a +1 here and there is also good, like AC of different types, gloves of dex +2, etc.

mabriss lethe
2010-01-02, 02:13 PM
ToB options availible? If so, snag one of the initiator items like crown of the white raven or shadowhand gloves, etc. they're 3k each for the novice variety and grant a single maneuver of 1-3 level that you qualify for, that you can spend 24 hours to swap out for a different maneuver.

Now, that's your way in to taking the class proper. See, you've got this magic item and it's full of nothing but pure knowledge. study it in your downtime, poke and prod at it, attempt to mimic what it allows you to do on your own. Then go into swordsage/warblade/crusader, etc.

You could get a lot out of the Shadowblade feat (add dex to your damage to shadowhand weapons.)

Soranar
2010-01-02, 02:14 PM
talk about insane stats

what feats do you have?

sudden strike works well with ranged weapons (since you can't get sneaks from flanking anyway)

well normally I wouldn't recommend Monk but considering your stats I might go for it you can take the ascetic stalker feat to prevent multiclassing problems but you'll still get a xp hit for your first 2 levels which is rough...

but your DM should probably accept it considering how close the two classes are

don't forget your sudden strike works to qualify for prestige classes that require sneak attacks

Whisperknife would also be a great prestige class for you (full BAB PrC, only for halflings, you get rapid shot for free and you only need BAB 4 to apply)

or you can go for a shuriken build and aim at this feat

Flurry of Throws, basically you can sacrifice sudden strike bonus die to add more shurikens during your full round attack as long as you throw at multiple targets , with your DEX bonus and your str bonus this would be a decent thing to consider

Critical
2010-01-02, 02:27 PM
ToB is availible, I guess and I like that option A LOT. I also thought about that monk/ninja would be nice with those stats, however I forgot to mention that monks and paladins are not allowed(due to strict aligment stuff). I got weapon finnese at the moment(was picked by another player) and I want to change it, DM doesn't allow it though, but at the next game I think I can persuade him into letting me choose my feats, so :)
Oh, and what is the shuriken build exactly?

mabriss lethe
2010-01-02, 02:34 PM
While you *can* use Shadow Blade in place of weapon finesse for feat requirements and such... I wouldn't lose WF from that build (you've got a 20 dex for cryin out loud...use it.) Stack Shadow Blade on top of it and key your entire melee damage formula off dex.

Critical
2010-01-02, 02:46 PM
While you *can* use Shadow Blade in place of weapon finesse for feat requirements and such... I wouldn't lose WF from that build (you've got a 20 dex for cryin out loud...use it.) Stack Shadow Blade on top of it and key your entire melee damage formula off dex.
Alright, seems fine.

Soranar
2010-01-02, 02:51 PM
a shuriken build would require you to cross-class with monk so it won't work

the idea is to use flurry of blows + rapid shot + flurry of throws to get an insane amount of shurikens in the air

weapon finesse is a prerequisite for the whisper knife class

I forgot to mention invinsible blade (even more AC , sneak attacks with daggers , thrown or not)

if you're level 3 then you should have another feat no?

ToB is very nice but hard to multiclass with , you could take the two feats to learn maneuvers and stances to qualify for a prestige class though (eventually)

Try to abuse your stats since they're so good

Champion of Gwynharwyf is basically a prestige class Barbarian/Paladin

you get wisdom based spellcasting + your CHA to your saves and rage (considering your CON you might as well rage too)

Abd al-Azrad
2010-01-02, 02:56 PM
Swordsage levels, particularly focusing on the Setting Sun and Shadow Hand disciplines, would probably work fantastically for your small, Dex-heavy ninja. Setting Sun largely lets you stay out of melee and negate some advantages that larger, stronger fighters would use against you; Shadow Hand has some interesting mobility powers and can add a ton of extra offense options. And, since Swordsage allows you to add Wis to AC, even when wearing light armor, well, it lets you take advantage of your ridiculous scores.

Invisible Blade (CW) would similarly add to your AC, give a bit of sneak attack, and offer the rather nice ability to feint as a free action in combat.

Weirdly, I could almost suggest taking up Blackguard levels- Cha to saves, some Wis-based buff spells, a small sneak attack pool, turning (and thus access to the Divine feats), etc. It's not a particularly stellar class, but if your DM is limiting multiclassing, it covers a fair range of bases.

mabriss lethe
2010-01-02, 03:06 PM
ToB is very nice but hard to multiclass with

I beg to differ on that last part. All the initiator material was designed with multiclassing in mind. Just for starters, it's one of the only options in D&D that automatically continues to scale when you take levels of other classes. (Your initiator level is your initiator class level +1/2 your level in all other classes.)

But now you do have me curious, I'd like to know why you think that ToB classes aren't multiclass friendly? but let's keep it quick simple. I don't want to hijack this thread, but your reasoning behind this advice would help the OP shape things for the character.

Critical
2010-01-02, 03:06 PM
So, I pretty much rounded it up to two variants, Ninja/Fighter and taking Whisperknife class, or Ninja/Swordsage(which is good because I love ToB :D). Luckily, we have a swordsage in our group so I could get him to "train" me. Though I don't like that the both classes have the Wisdom score bonus to AC thing, do they stack?

Soranar
2010-01-02, 03:12 PM
no the bonus doesn't stack

what a waste of stats to put in a ninja...

Abd al-Azrad
2010-01-02, 03:15 PM
Doubtful- even if you could find a way to argue it, I don't think your DM sounds like the type to allow it. But the Swordsage's bonus is more versatile, because you can wear armor with it- an extra at least 4 points of AC, and it's comparatively cheap and easy to enchant.

Critical
2010-01-02, 04:29 PM
Observing it all, I think I'll be going with 3 Ninja/2 Fighter/1 Swordsage/*rest* Whisperknife, or maybe even no Swordsage at all if the DM will let me qualify for the Shadow Blade feat with the Shadow Hands item.

Soranar
2010-01-02, 04:36 PM
is your DM just going to let you multiclass without xp penalties? cause you'd get a really high one from all of this

Critical
2010-01-02, 04:43 PM
is your DM just going to let you multiclass without xp penalties? cause you'd get a really high one from all of this
Yes he will, I guess, he never told about it and he hates calculating XP anyway, so mostlikely yes, no penalties.

Smythen
2010-01-02, 05:32 PM
a level of warblade and a lvl of bloodstorm blade, stacks nice with whisperknife. you get to throw kukries that are returning. ad a lvl of masterthrower to get the crit modifier to 3.

Critical
2010-01-02, 07:28 PM
a level of warblade and a lvl of bloodstorm blade, stacks nice with whisperknife. you get to throw kukries that are returning. ad a lvl of masterthrower to get the crit modifier to 3.
Since I'll be using ordinary knives/kunais/shurikens I doubt that I'd need something returning, because they're cheap. And also, I would not increase the multiplier if my range wasn't high.

Smythen
2010-01-03, 03:41 AM
Since I'll be using ordinary knives/kunais/shurikens I doubt that I'd need something returning, because they're cheap. And also, I would not increase the multiplier if my range wasn't high.

what would you need range for?

Critical
2010-01-03, 06:47 AM
what would you need range for?
I meant critical range, sorry.

dspeyer
2010-01-03, 12:29 PM
Have you looked at psychic warrior? It's got some nice buffs, which should fit with your ninja abilities. And since it's a power native to your hindbrain waking up, the rp should be easy.

Critical
2010-01-03, 12:53 PM
Have you looked at psychic warrior? It's got some nice buffs, which should fit with your ninja abilities. And since it's a power native to your hindbrain waking up, the rp should be easy.
Ow, I also forgot to say that the psionics are banned too. Pretty strict DM, huh?