PDA

View Full Version : HHHoHHaHH - Lyran Stokes

Lubirio
2010-01-02, 03:01 PM
Day 1

You wake in the cave up to find the storm gone, but the clouds still very present, the result is a grayish sight overhead. Inside the cave a torch is lighting the way in almost invitingly. The torch lights the way for you and you see the hall narrowing to 5ft while it continues as far as you can see. The cave seems to have been made either in a hurry or naturally, as both the floor and the walls are very uneven.

You can see 40ft into the dungeon, it narrows from 10ft to 5ft after 10ft, it then continues another 30ft in a straight line, all 5ft wide. walls have Climb DC15 and you need to succeed on a DC10 balance check to run or charge.

Note: you can try and make a map yourself, or hope Lyran finds some kind of map in the dungeon, but I will only give you small maps when there is combat, not a full map of the dungeon. :smallamused:

Actions go in italics.
"Speech is in color."
Thought is a lighter color
Pick your colors. :smallwink:

Slamexo
2010-01-02, 03:16 PM
Looking around the hallway, Lyran thought back to his tales of travellers being caught in traps by places you'd think were safe, and decided he'd better be extra cautious.

"It may be a cave, but it's a perfect spot for a booby trap!"

Of course, no-one's smart enough to trap Lyran Stokes!

Lyran shall take his time and take 20 to search the corridor for traps, so that's a +6.
Dark red for action colour, red for thinking colour.
I'm assuming this is how you wanted actual non-IC information on what Lyran's doing to be laid out. :smalltongue:
Also, shall I shove dice rolls in the future in a spoiler box like this? (Or outside a spoiler box if that's how you want actions to be shown)

Lubirio
2010-01-02, 03:23 PM
Cautious as he is, he slowly finds his way into the cave, with nothing to worry about until he sees a door. The door seems to be trapped, and Lyran stops in his tracks, afraid to trigger it.

Trap: mechanical location trigger pit trap. Disable Device is possible.

Yes, I'd like any rolls and OOC stuff in spoilers, thanks.

Edit: I'm assuming you take the torch with you, as there's no other lighting except from outside.

Slamexo
2010-01-02, 03:41 PM
Reaching into his backpack and taking out his set of thieves tools, Lyran started working away at the trap.

This'll be a piece of cake...

Disable device, taking 20 again so that comes out to 26.

At least I'm pretty sure you can take 20 on disable device. :smallconfused:

Take 10 if not.

Lubirio
2010-01-02, 03:51 PM
After working on the trap for a while, Lyran hears an audible click, and upon testing it, the trap doesn't trigger and seems to be inactive.

Some traps trigger when a failed disable device check is made, but not this one. In the future though, I'd like you to decide if you take 10 or take 20 or just roll. :smallwink:

Assuming you open the door:
Upon opening the door, Lyran finds himself in a room so big, the torch doesn't reach either end of it, not width-wise or length-wise.

The room is bigger than 40ftx40ft. :smalltongue:

Slamexo
2010-01-02, 04:56 PM
A room this big? Well, I doubt anyone would be waiting for an ambush in here, since I can't see them and they can't see me. Better clear out any bats or such.

Moving back to the torch on the wall from earlier, Lyran shall pick it up and bring it back to the room, before tossing it at what he believes to be the middle of the room.

Basically that.

Lubirio
2010-01-02, 06:41 PM
The torch lands with a low resounding thud. Nothing seems to happen except that the walls of the spacious room that are now in plain view, as well as a portcullis directly to your right, and an archway on the far wall, also to your right.

It should be noted that the door was on the left side of the cave, and you're in a corner of the room, a wall to your left and behind you.

Slamexo
2010-01-02, 07:02 PM
Going into the room and recollecting the torch, Lyran looked through the portcullis for whatever may have sat on the other side.

Looking through the portcullis, spot check [roll0] if necessary.

I'm assuming this porticulis covers the whole gap, and can't be climbed over or anything?

Lubirio
2010-01-02, 07:07 PM
Looking through the portcullis reveals a passage turning left almost immediately, after which is turns right again pretty soon.

Portcullis: after 5ft a turn left, then another 10ft for a turn right, you don't see around two corners... :smallwink:

Also, do you leave the door open?

To specify, the archway is now 10ft behind you, at the far left wall. If you want a map of the room, I can give you that.

Edit: The portcullis does indeed cover the whole gap, and is made out of wood.

Slamexo
2010-01-02, 07:11 PM
Unsatisfied with not being able to see through corners, Lyran turns around and decides to poke his head around the corner of the archway, being careful not to be noticed. He also goes and shuts the door.

Wouldn't want to let a draft in.

Hide check [roll0]
Spot check [roll1]

A map would be fantastic. :smallsmile:

Lubirio
2010-01-02, 07:35 PM
Poking his head through the archway doesn't reveal anything revolutionary, as the archway splits to his right and left. The right portion turns soon and out of sight, and the left portion ends in an archway oriented to the right.

Primitive map:

| = wall/unexplored
- = door
. = open space
, = archway
} = portcullis

||||,|||||||.||||
||||.........||||
||||||||||,||||||
||...........||||
||...........||||
||...........||||
||...........||||
||...........||||
||...........||||
||...........|..|
||...........|.||
||...........}.||
||-||||||||||||||
...........||||||
|||||||||||||||||

You are now under the right-most comma, this is the explored space so far, you can copy this and keep it going for your own map (in notepad for instance), I will provide maps scarcely from now on. :smalltongue:

Slamexo
2010-01-02, 08:01 PM
Deciding to try his luck with the left option, Lyran took the left turn through the archway and peered his head around the second arch.

Same as last time, poke the head round the corner and have a little look. No searching for traps en walking (Which I'm sure I'll regret soon.)
Hide check: [roll0]
Spot check: [roll1]

Lubirio
2010-01-02, 08:21 PM
Walking nonchalantly to the second arch, Lyran pokes his head around to find another rather large room, this time covered in runes and mosaics of some sort, the meaning of which Lyran can't make out. Directly opposite him Lyran sees a door, and on the far right wall about halfway down, there's another door.

Map of the new room:

| = wall/unexplored
- = door
. = open space
, = archway

|-|||||||||
|.......|||
|.......|||
|.......|||
|.......|||
|.......-||
|.......|||
|.......|||
|.......|||
|.......|||
|.......|||
|.......|||
|,|||||||.|
|.........|

I find that maps of a single room do no harm, as any good adventurer makes a virtual map of anything he sees in his head anyway, so there. A map of this entire floor can be found on this floor. Somewhere...

Slamexo
2010-01-02, 08:33 PM
Keeping up with his cautious ways, Lyran crosses over the room to the door on the far well and begins looking over it for any more dangerous devices.

Taking 20 on another search, giving us a 26 again.

Lubirio
2010-01-02, 08:43 PM
Apparently coming too near the door whilst searching for traps, one such device is triggered and Lyran receives a fusillade of darts that spring forward, eager to pierce his flesh.

[roll0] Darts attack you.
[roll1] Hit
[roll2]

[roll3] Miss
[roll4]

[roll5]
[roll6]

[roll7]
[roll8]

After the darts attack, you find nothing else beside the fact that the door is made of iron, the other door out of the room is made of wood.

Slamexo
2010-01-02, 09:14 PM
Yanking a dart out of his stomach with a wince of pain, Lyran pouted as he blamed the installer of the trap for not adhering to common trapping courtesy: never leave it somewhere they may miss.

Deciding not to try his luck a second time, Lyran headed over for the other door. However, this time he was careful to search the surrounding area before moving on to look for any traps.

First a search of the area surrounding the east wall door for traps, which is going to yet again take 20 and get a 26, then a search of the door itself, also taking 20.

Can't be too careful!

Lubirio
2010-01-02, 09:20 PM
Moving to the other door, Lyran finds nothing of note around it, and nothing of note on the door itself, it doesn't even seem to be locked. Opening it reveals a hallway that splits, and ends in a dead end.

I took the liberty to assume you'd open the door. the dead end is 25ft from you, the intersection 15ft, at the intersection, there's a door on the left and a hallway on the right.

Also, I did say you didn't find anything else on the other door... :smallconfused:

Slamexo
2010-01-02, 09:26 PM
Pondering whether to go down this route or to try the other door, which he realised probably didn't have a second trap in store anyway, Lyran took his lucky flipping coin out of his pocket. Seeing it come up on heads, he decided to go down the first door he had tried after all, and moved back over to open it up.

The damage to my ever so tiny hit points scared me away. :smallbiggrin:

Lubirio
2010-01-02, 09:34 PM
Attempting to open the door, Lyran finds it stuck. He tries several times to bash it open, without success.

I'll roll a couple Str checks:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

... which all fail.

I can tell you that taking 20 won't have a better result. :smallamused:

Slamexo
2010-01-03, 06:24 AM
Well that was time well spent.

Going back to the other door, Lyran decided to do another search down the straight length corridor ahead of him, followed by checking the door on his left, for fear of a nasty trap inflicting nasty pain again.

Can you guess what we're taking on the searches?

That's right kids, another 20!

Just to note that Lyran's going to hold onto that torch until the place brightens up enough or he hears or spies anything.

Lubirio
2010-01-03, 06:30 AM
The wooden door Lyran decided to search doesn't seem to have any traps, and none were triggered, but the door seems to be stuck, though not as tight as the previous one.

You can roll a couple times or take 20, either way is fine with me.

Note that if you don't roll any listen/spot checks, I'll assume he's 'distracted' and have him take 5 on them.

Slamexo
2010-01-03, 06:34 AM
They really need to oil these doors more.

Deciding to take the chance to use his muscles, Lyran decided to give the door a good few smashes to try to break his way in. Not the stealthiest approach, but it did the job.

Strength checks!:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Also, that -5 penalty sounds reasonable to me.

Lubirio
2010-01-03, 06:42 AM
Apparantly Lyran had his luck today, and the door broke upon first impact of his shoulders, leaving an echoing crack sounding across the cave. The space now in front of him reveals a long room with a cabinet on one side, and a screen that was supposedly once white directly opposite it. There also seem to be two wooden doors in the wall across from him, and a wooden door on the right wall.

Map of new room:

| = wall/unexplored
- = door
. = open space
C = Cabinet
S = Screen

|-|-|
|.S.|
|...|
|...|
|...|
|...-
|...|
|...|
|...|
|.C.|
|-|||

The -5 comes from the listen and spot skill descriptions for being distracted. :smallwink:

Slamexo
2010-01-03, 06:49 AM
Flexing his muscles at no-one in particular, Lyran moved into the room to examine the cabinet. Curious as to what was inside, he tried the door.

And that's why it sounds so reasonable. :smallbiggrin:

Lubirio
2010-01-03, 06:53 AM
the cabinet seems to be old, as the moment Lyran tries to open it, the wood cracks and the door breaks off.

*Cue: Sound of flying bats* :smallbiggrin:

Anyway, taking 20 on the cabinet reveals nothing, it's a broken cabinet, very, very old.

Slamexo
2010-01-03, 06:59 AM
Well that was disappointing.

Moving over to the screen, Lyran decided to investigate it further since it was so out of place. Assuming that turned up nothing, he would investigate both of other doors on the same wall as the screen for the usual things.

Still taking 20s. Time well spent.

Lubirio
2010-01-03, 07:14 AM
The screen seems to have been hanging there for decades, centuries even, but searching it came up with nothing. The door on the right side of the screen seems locked, and a lot stronger than the unlocked door on the other side.

Pretty much what's up there, screen is nothing of note, door on left is unlocked, door on right is locked and hard to break. Neither seems to be trapped.

Slamexo
2010-01-03, 07:17 AM
Locks tend to be used to secure treasures and such...

Moving back to the screen briefly to pause and leave a mark of his journey, Lyran retrieves his tools once again and gets to work on opening the locked door.

Taking 20 on open lock, and the message being left (assuming there's enough dust or such, if not then nevermind.) is 'Lyran was here!' :smallbiggrin:

Lubirio
2010-01-03, 04:31 PM
Leaving his mark is successful and Lyran unlocks the door without much trouble. As he opens the door, it creaks loudly, and anyone near enough to hear it is obiviously immediately alarmed, the door reveals a room about the shape of the one Lyran's standing in, but just a little bit bigger. The walls seem to be covered with doors, but the floor is empty.

Map of Room:

| = wall/unexplored
- = door
. = open space
, = Archway

|||||||
-.....|
|.....|
|.....|
|.....|
|.....|
|.....|
|.....|
|.....|
|.....|
|.....|
|-|-|-|

Nothing interesting here. :smalltongue:

Slamexo
2010-01-03, 05:38 PM
Hrm, what a strange room. It seems just a little odd that it'd be empty...

Taking no chances, Lyran tosses his torch into the middle of the room in an effort to test for any traps that might be based on his standing, or just anything else of note. After that was done, he'd go carefully poke his head around the arch for his traditional stealthy checking.

Assuming no pitfalls or other traps of doomy doom are apparent, Lyran'll go move over to the archway for a sneaky look around.

Hide check: [roll0]
Spot check: [roll1]

Also, am I right to assume Lyran was entering the room from the top left corner of the map? :smallconfused:

Lubirio
2010-01-04, 11:06 AM
Once more, the torch landed without much effect beyond generating an obscene amount of sound. Checking around the archway, Lyran found a winding and twisting path leading deeper into the cave.

Right after the archway, there's a turn left, then 10ft and a turn right.

You entered from the bottom-right, the door on the bottom in the middle was the same door in the other room.

Slamexo
2010-01-04, 12:32 PM
Sighing at the complexity of this ever twisting cavern, Lyran took it upon himself retrieve his torch and then to trek down this tunnel until he reached anything of note, or fell victim to another scheming mechanism, being sure to keep a low profile whilst being aware of his surroundings along the way.

Moving silently down the path through the archway until Lyran reaches anything new and also making spot and listen checks.

Move Silently: [roll0]
Spot: [roll1]
Listen [roll2]

Lubirio
2010-01-04, 12:50 PM
Following the twisting pattern of the cave, Lyran turns a couple times before stumbling upon a door and yet another turn.

Map of Winding Path:

| = wall/unexplored
- = door
. = open space
, = Archway

|||||||||||||
|||||||||..||
|||||||||.|||
||||||||-...|
|||||||||||.|
|||||||||...|
|||||||||.|||
|...|.....|||
|.|.|.|||||||
,.|...|||||||
|||||||||||||

You're supposed to level up once (or twice) before reaching the next level, imagine how big this complex is. :smallamused:

Slamexo
2010-01-04, 02:47 PM
Sighing with a smirk at yet another door, Lyran proceeded to get to work as he had been doing so for many a door now.

You know the drill: take 20 on a search for traps and such.

Lubirio
2010-01-04, 02:59 PM
The door seems like just your regular old door, except that it's places inside such a cave. Nothing happens as Lyran goes through his long and weary process and the door is revealed to be just like any other door. As Lyran opens the door, he finds himself in a small room, at least compared to the other cavernous spaces he's been in, and an archway leading out of the room in front of him.

The room is 15ftx15ft, archway on the left wall, all the way at the end.

Slamexo
2010-01-04, 03:08 PM
Still uncomfortable with large open rooms, Lyran decided to be careful about checking every step ahead of him before he moved to look through the archway in his usual manner.

Taking 20 to search the whole room for traps as Lyran moves across, then hiding and spotting from behind the archway.

Hide: [roll0]

Lubirio
2010-01-04, 03:12 PM
Lyran seems to be overly careful as his careful movements don't seem to be needed and he detects nothing out of the ordinary.

The archway ends in a dead end.

Hmm... Go back and keep going maybe? :smallbiggrin:

Slamexo
2010-01-04, 03:17 PM
Well that was a waste of time.

Returning to the passage, Lyran continues his journey down the other branch of the tunnel until he arrives at something else interesting, still keeping quiet and alert simultaneously.

Same as before etc.

Listen: [roll1]

Lubirio
2010-01-04, 03:24 PM
The cave continues straight for a while before turning right, making a long U-turn and turning right again, it then comes to a halt at a wooden door.

That's assuming you don't foolishly approach it and possibly tough the door randomly...

Slamexo
2010-01-04, 03:49 PM
Now this looks interesting. A little TOO interesting.

Moving towards the door, Lyran begins his typical routine once again.

To hell with your caution, I are curious!

Take 20 on search as usual.

I do not want death either, but then what else shall I do at this point? :smalltongue:

Lubirio
2010-01-04, 03:59 PM
As Lyran searches the door, nothing seems to happen and the door looks just like any other door.

of course, looks can be deceiving. ... right?

No, I'm not strongly hinting at something. :smallamused:

Slamexo
2010-01-04, 06:17 PM
Well, nothing ventured nothing gained!

Lyran thought to himself, as he moved to open the door.

Lubirio
2010-01-05, 02:08 AM
Lyran moved to open the door, but the moment he touched it, it turned into dust, leaving a gaping hole where the door had been, and some small specks of lifeless particles on the floor. The room wasn't a very small one, and it contained three more doors, all on the other side, nowhere near him. But what was most peculiar is that there was nothing to be seen, but there was some unintelligible whispering that could be heard throughout the room, as if the room meant to warn the rest of the dungeon of the incoming intruder.

Map of Room:

| = wall/unexplored
- = door
. = open space

|||||||||||||
-...........-
|...........|
|...........|
|...........|
|...........-
|||||||||||-|

Hm, now what? :smallamused:

Slamexo
2010-01-05, 06:33 AM
Well, that was unexpected.

As he heard the sound of whispering around his head, Lyran shrugged at its unintelligability. Moving over to the door, he decided to be careful about his movements now, as he had seen his first sign of life since he'd arrived. After all, caves didn't just talk on their own, did they?

Pressing his ear up to the door opposite the one he had entered in, he carefully listened for any noises within, before he yet again went through his routine.

Listen check on the door opposite the entrance to the room, followed by the usual 20 on a search check unless Lyran hears anything of interest on the other side.

Listen: [roll0]

Lubirio
2010-01-05, 06:42 AM
Lyran hears nothing, as he searches, he finds nothing either. When finally he opens it, he finds himself in a hallway that leads directly to the other door on the same wall, effectively making both door useless. Stranger still is the fact that there's nothing at all in the hallway, and yet the whispers get a fraction louder than they have been, though still unintelligible.

Pretty much that:

| = wall/unexplored
- = door
. = open space

|||
-.|
|.|
|.|
|.|
-.|
|||

That leaves one door left unexplored in this room. :smallamused:

Slamexo
2010-01-05, 07:49 AM
Hmmm, now I'm curious...

Deciding to search the hallway in its wholeness, Lyran begins looking up and down every nook and cranny. So long as he finds nothing interesting, he shall move on over to listen and search the last door in the other room.

Take 20 on searching the corridor, then a listen and a search on the door you aren't hinting at at all if nothing interesting comes up.

Listen: [roll0]

Lubirio
2010-01-05, 08:49 AM
Lyran finds nothing more of interest in the redundant hallway and moves on to the door, he looks and looks for traps, but apparently there are none to be found, and he opens the door unexpectantly. The door opens up to reveal a twisting hall yet again, this time not leading back to a door already found, instead it leads to an archway, which makes way for a big room thirty-five feet by fifty-five feet. Entering on the long side, there is a door directly opposite the archway.

You got it, I don't hint. I just don't. :smallamused:

Map of room and hallway:

| = wall/unexplored
- = door
. = open space
, = archway

|||||||||||-|||
|.......|...|||
|.......|.|||||
|.......|.....|
|.......|||||.|
|.......|...|.|
|.......|.|.|.|
-.......,.|...|
|.......|||||||
|.......|||||||
|.......|||||||
|.......|||||||
|||||||||||||||

I'll assume you're hiding just above the square right in front of the archway. :smallwink:

Slamexo
2010-01-05, 09:05 AM
What a large room; you'd think they would use it for something.

Slightly annoyed at the assumption that his first adventure was consisting of nothing more but an empty maze with the odd voice, Lyran once again moved over to the door and began checking for anything that might stab him.

Surely you know the drill by now. :smallbiggrin:

Lubirio
2010-01-05, 09:15 AM
I do, but it's an archway... :smallconfused:

Slamexo
2010-01-05, 09:20 AM
I'm on about the door opposite the archway that I'm under the impression he didn't enter through. :smallconfused:

Lubirio
2010-01-05, 09:33 AM
As Lyran enters the large spacious room, he notices something he hadn't seen before due to the lighting, a Ghoul, standing there, waiting for fresh food. Upon seeing the human, the ghoul stands up and looks at Lyran, poised for the kill.

Surprise round (ghoul): stand up from kneeling

Initiative:
Lyran: 16
Ghoul: 5

Though I don't hint, I hinted at the presence of something twice, once when I said you started hiding, second when I was 'confused' as to what you were doing. I'll try to be less subtle next time. :smallamused:

Edit: map with ghoul:

|||||||||
|.......|
|.......|
|.G.....|
|.......|
|.......|
|.......|
|.......|
|.......|
|.......|
|.......|
|||||||||

Slamexo
2010-01-05, 09:41 AM
Jumping slightly as the figure appeared and stood up, Lyran drew his longbow off of his back and took the oppurtunity to retreat to a safer distance.

Hinting is for the week, let a man live or die by his own accord! :smallcool:

Although dying for my own silliness in this game would be rather sucky considering its fun-ness. :smalleek:

Anywho, Lyran shall draw his longbow and move 30 ft opposite the ghoul or that direction in general, since I'm not bang on certain of his location anyhow. :smalltongue:

Lubirio
2010-01-05, 09:47 AM
Lyran moves away, and the Ghoul moves closer at its own measurely pace, stopping right in front of Lyran and growling once more, almost snapping at his neck in the process.

Map, top of round 2:

G = Ghoul
L = Lyran

|||||||||
|.......|
|.......|
|.......|
|.......|
|.......|
|.......|
|.......|
|.......|
|.G.....|
|..L....|
|||||||||

Note he did not attack, as he couldn't reach you in a single move.

*shakes head at silly comment*
I should lock you up just for that...

and thanks for enjoying it, that's exactly what I meant to do. :smallbiggrin:

Slamexo
2010-01-05, 09:56 AM
Clenching his teeth at the proximity of the ghoul, Lyran decided to take a gamble and shoot faster at the expense of accuracy, using his proximity to his strength.

A flurry of movement resulted in some rapid shooting.

Using rapid shot with Lyran to get off two arrows at +3 each (+1 from point blank shot).

Attack 1: [roll0]
Damage 1: [roll1]
Attack 2: [roll2]
Damage 2: [roll3]

Lubirio
2010-01-05, 09:57 AM
You know the ghoul will get an AoO for that right?

You might want to make a 5ft step away first. :smallwink:

Slamexo
2010-01-05, 10:03 AM
Reflexively, Lyran takes a five foot step away from the ghoul first before he unloads his arrows.

Thank you for not letting me die very quickly. :smallsigh:

To hell with my live or die by his own foolish actions statement.

Lubirio
2010-01-05, 10:20 AM
The ghoul snaps at you just as you jump out of reach and by the time he recovered, an arrow was already planted in his neck. The other arrow clutters away on the floor as the ghoul jumps atop Lyran, snapping at his neck. Apparently the ghoul was still a little disoriented from the arrow as he misses you by a lot.

First arrow hits, second misses, ghoul's attacks all miss, sadly for him...

Map, top of round 3:

G = Ghoul
L = Lyran

|||||||||
|.......|
|.......|
|.......|
|.......|
|.......|
|.......|
|.......|
|.......|
|.......|
|..GL...|
|||||||||

You're up again.

Slamexo
2010-01-05, 10:28 AM
Frowning at himself slightly for not bringing a melee weapon, Lyran decided to make some space between him and the aggressive ghoul. Proceeding a quick hop backwards, Lyran took it upon himself to dash as far away from the ghoul as his legs could carry.

Using a withdraw action, starting out by moving diagonally up and away from the ghoul, followed by heading upwards as far as 55 ft can go.

Lubirio
2010-01-05, 11:11 AM
Lyran removes himself from the room, somewhere the ghoul doesn't seem to want to follow, it claws the open space where the archway is as Lyran hides around the corner.

Wouldn't it be 60ft, since you can move double your move speed in a withdraw action? This moves you through the archway, out of the room.

The ghoul is standing directly inside of the archway.

Slamexo
2010-01-05, 11:27 AM
Realising he has no way to shoot at the undead without putting himself in harm's way, Lyran opts to move back through the winding passage to the room with the earlier mumbling, wait for a fair while, and then return to check if the ghoul is still standing in the archway. Unless of course, something interesting happens en route.

That 55ft was factoring in the 5 ft move to get out of the ghoul's threatened square. :smallwink:

Lubirio
2010-01-05, 11:42 AM
Lyran does what he thought of doing, and moves back to the room to find the ghoul standing near the southern part, gnawing on the arrow sticking out of its neck. As Lyran re-enters, he looks up in anticipation and hope.

Initiative:
Lyran: 14
Ghoul: 14

I'm assuming you were smart enough to draw the bow before re-entering the room. As you probably well know, he'll be flat=footed to your attacks, that means SA! :smallbiggrin:

Slamexo
2010-01-05, 11:52 AM
Taking the oppurtunity, Lyran proceeded to mimic his first attack in the last combat, and unleashes two seperate arrows at the ugly monster.

And as I'm sure you probably know, undead means no SA! :smallbiggrin:

Anywho, two rapid shots at that mean ol' nasty ghoul. I'm assuming Lyran isn't within 30 ft, but if he is then feel free to tack on a 1.

Damage 1: [roll1]

Lubirio
2010-01-05, 12:00 PM
Once again, Lyran launches two arrows at the ghoul, one of which strikes the ghoul in his right leg, injuring him badly enough to drop him. Checking it out, Lyran goes up to the ghoul, and after a short while, its ragged breathing stopped in a final huff.

So you know too huh? :smallbiggrin:

Luckily for you, he was within 30ft. This means 300xp for you. :smalltongue:

Slamexo
2010-01-05, 01:20 PM
Kicking the ghoul slightly, Lyran let out a little sigh.

That thing surprised me; what a dirty tactic!

Retrieving any arrows that he can still find in the room, Lyran proceeded to finally head over to the door and return to the routine, somewhat happier for the fact that he had conquered the undead beast.

Pickin' up any arrows that're stilll around and assuming the ghoul's naked or at least not wearing anything that could feasibly conceal something, and then taking 20 on searching that there door o'er there.

Lubirio
2010-01-05, 02:24 PM
Lyran searches yet another door for any traps and such. His search was, however, fruitless and results in nothing but finding the door locked.

You shot 4 arrows, 2 hit, 1 broke, you find the last one.

Slamexo
2010-01-05, 04:20 PM
Gathering his remaining arrows, Lyran realised he was down to 17.

Maybe I should've brought more...

Oh well! Hopefully I'll find some later.

Continuing with the task at hand, Lyran began working on unlocking the door.

Grabbin' 20.

Lubirio
2010-01-06, 01:38 PM
After long, perilous work, the lock springs open. After opening the now-unlocked door, Lyran finds himself face-to-face with a Burly, mindless being engulfed in its own mindlessness as it hungers for brains.

Yes, it is a zombie. :smalltongue:

Map of room with you and Zombie:

| = Wall/unexplored
- = Door
\ = Open door
. = Open space

-..Z\L.
|...|..
|...|..
|...|..
|...|..

Good luck on this one, Initiative:
Lyran: 18
Zombie: 1

Slamexo
2010-01-07, 07:35 AM
Well that's a pleasant sight to open a door to.

Tensing with a slight case of the nerves, what with being stared down by a zombie and all, Lyran once again employed some careful foot movement to put some distance between him and the undead monster.

Another withdraw action to move directly opposite the ghoul, which I'm suspecting ends Lyran up 10 ft away from the arch he entered the last room in.

Lubirio
2010-01-07, 11:43 AM
You don't have to withdraw, there's an open door between the two of you. :smallwink:

Slamexo
2010-01-07, 02:39 PM
Ah, but Lyran won't be able to kill it if there's a door in the way will he? And then where's he gonna go? Nowhere but backwards, that's where.

Lubirio
2010-01-07, 05:01 PM
Having moved out of its range, the Zombie moved closer to Lyran, slowly as only Zombies do.

You could've moved once, then shot, and the door is open, obviously...

New Map:

| = Wall/unexplored
- = Door
\ = Open door
. = Open space
, = Archway

||||||||||||||||
|||||.......||||
|||||.......||||
|||||.......||||
|||||.......||||
|||||.......|L..
|||||.......|.|.
|...\....Z..,.|.
|...|.......||||
|...|.......||||
|...|.......||||
|...|.......||||
||||||||||||||||

Slamexo
2010-01-07, 05:44 PM
Deciding to reuse his earlier, sucessful tactic, Lyran once again heads back down the corridor for a little bit, waits a short period, then returns to where he can see the zombie to check if its returned to a distance where he can take pot shots at it.

For future reference, whenever I say Lyran's putting space between him and whatever, assume that he's keeping them in line of sight unless I say otherwise.

Lubirio
2010-01-08, 02:35 PM
At moving further back, the Zombie followed, but never left the room, seemingly either blocked by some invisible force that Lyran was unaffected by, or by it's commands.

PBS for the win! :smallbiggrin:

Slamexo
2010-01-08, 03:34 PM
Checking for any field of view, Lyran begins taking pot shots at the zombie until he either runs out of ammo or it drops down dead. If he can't find a way to see the zombie and hit it with arrows, he resumes his initial plan yet again.

I'll just roll five attacks here, but feel free to shove in any extras if necessary. Assuming Lyran can make LoS, that is.

Damage 1 [roll1]
Attack 3: [roll4]
Damage 3: [roll5]
Attack 4: [roll6]
Damage 4: [roll7]
Attack 5: [roll8]
Damage 5: [roll9]

Lubirio
2010-01-08, 03:50 PM
Lyran begins shooting at the Zombie and he takes shot after shot, not seeming to care because of the prize that was waiting for him if he made it through.

He has LoS. Hit, miss (doesn't break), hit, hit, hit. He's taken only 1 damage due to DR. You have 12 arrows left in your quiver.

Then I'll roll some for you, if you don't want me rolling for you, don't open the spoiler and roll yourself: :smallwink:
Hit for 0 damage, hit for 0 damage, miss (doesn't break), hit for 1 damage, miss (breaks), miss (breaks), miss (doesn't break), miss (doesn't break), miss (doesn't break), miss (doesn't break), hit for 3 damage, critical hit for 12 damage.

Your quiver is empty, the zombie's taken 15 damage (DR included), and there are 6 arrows laying around that you can pick up, all in the square the zombie's standing in, you can pick up 5 arrows for a move action that provokes an AoO.

DM notes:
Zombie HP: 18/35.

Slamexo
2010-01-08, 04:07 PM
Reaching into his quiver, only to find himself out of arrows, Lyran lets out a sigh as he sees arrows laid at the zombies feet.

"Why the hell are the undead so not bothered by pointy things sticking inside of them?

Storming off, Lyran goes to sit somewhere out of the zombies line of sight for a short while, then returns to check if its left so that he can pick up his remaining arrows without risking a slap across the cheek and a tooth in the head.

So we're on encounter 2 of this spectacular adventure, and we're already out of ammo?

Groovy. :smallannoyed:

Note to self: Bring a frickin' dagger next time.

Lubirio
2010-01-08, 05:00 PM
Adder returns to see the zombie glaring at him from the other room, as Lyran came into view again, the Zombie approached him, ready to actually strike him this time around.

The move action of picking up the arrows includes putting them in your quiver.

I'm not quite sure where you are, but the zombie's now 20ft from the door archway, he won init, your turn.

Slamexo
2010-01-08, 07:07 PM
Time for plan evasia!

Aiming to move around the zombie, Lyran moved to in the direciton of the southern wall of the room before moving on up and shutting the door behind him, considering how most zombies are too stupid to figure out directions.

Double move this round to head straight for the south wall and along it before heading back up the west wall as much as a double move can, and assuming the zombie doesn't catch up just have Lyran keep moving that way until he gets into the room it started in then shut the door behind him.

Lubirio
2010-01-08, 07:20 PM
Lyran made his way around the zombie and into the room, at which the zombie, too dumb to figure out Lyran's plan, moved down with him. Lyran, seeing his opportunity, moved past the zombie into the smaller room adjecent to the one they were dancing in, and shut the door. Shortly afterward, Lyran heard the zombie's body slamming into the door in a forced attempt to enter the room.

Thinking of going to sleep now huh? :smallamused:

First turn: you move, zombie moved south.
Second turn: you move, zombie moves north-west.
Third turn: you move/close the door, zombie charges the door unsuccessfully.

For good measure, I want you to go to sleep. Since Adder died and you're two days ahead of Damien, you can sleep two days straight for the healing you barely need. :smallbiggrin:

Slamexo
2010-01-08, 08:50 PM
Well, this looks like a good spot to have a little breather: undead monster on the other side of the door that I can only hope will hold it in; should work as a lullabye.

Frowning at his painful situation, being injured and almost out of arrows in a foreign house, Lyran decides to give the room a quick once over, stay up for a short while to see if the zombie manages to do any damage to the door, and then go to sleep for the night and see how he feels in the morning.

Lyran shall do all that and spend one night asleep, unless your DMness is dead set straight on two nights in which case he hits his head when he wakes up and goes back to sleep for another night.

Lubirio
2010-01-09, 06:13 AM
Just as Lyran sat down to relax and take a breather, the Zombie managed to break through the door. After many attempts of doing it, he finally succeeded and seemed a little dizzy because of all the smashings.

I don't care too much, but the zombie doesn't like that...

On the bright side, you get a surprise round, and you win init. :smallsmile:

Slamexo
2010-01-09, 07:00 AM
You know, I'm getting surprisingly sick of this place already.

Hoping to pursue his earlier tactics, Lyran quick headed over to the unsmashed door in the room to check if it happened to be locked or such. If luck was on his side, he'd once again try to slip through the door and rethink his strategy in a less containing-a-nasty-zombie sort of room.

If not, he'd just have to move straight south into the room in hopes of once again getting it to follow him, so he could use his superior agility to outmaneuver it.

All that; double move action straight downwards if the door's locked or happens to be trapped but doesn't manage to kill Lyran.

Lubirio
2010-01-09, 07:19 AM
Lyran seems to be in luck, as the door is neither trapped nor locked, and going around a corner or two, Lyran again sees a new door. He doesn't hear the zombie trying to break the door however, and he finds a place in the hallway where he can see both doors leading into it.

No more maps of hallways, but the description should be enough I think. If you spend the night in the little corner, I'll need to know where you're going next.

Slamexo
2010-01-09, 11:04 AM
Hoping to be safer in this place than in the last spot, Lyran again has performs a quick once over of all the doors to kill time in case the zombies decides to try to help him get to sleep, then sets up for a some camping overnight.

I wish I could say the description was enough, but frankly I'm still a little confused as to what the hall looks like. :smalltongue:

Lubirio
2010-01-09, 11:16 AM
Day 2

Lyran goes to sleep without much trouble, and he wakes up to find the torch he's been carrying with him casually lying on the floor next to his clothes, still fully lit. Lyran lookd around himself to find the doors still fully closed and apparently there's been no forceful attempt to open them.

In the corner you're sleeping in, there's a door 10ft east of you, then another corner 10ft south of you, and directly around that corner is the door.

You're healed 1HP, nice torch huh?

Slamexo
2010-01-09, 11:24 AM
Standing up and stretching, Lyran ate his breakfast of trail rations before starting to get to work. Heading over to the door directly east of him, Lyran began going through the routine he had done so many times the day before and checking for potentially lethal traps.

Assuming that's not the door he came in through, of course. If it is, just use the other one.

Lubirio
2010-01-09, 11:52 AM
Lyran's search revealed nothing beyond the fact that the door was locked, after unlocking the door however, Lyran found the room contained a single dead body that had laid there for so long it was just a skeleton, it was holding a longsword and a light wooden shield, and was garbed in heavy armor. The rest of the room seemed not to be very big and there was a single closed door to his north.

Sorry, I meant west, and it isn't. New room map:

| = Wall/unexplored
- = Door
\ = Open door
. = Open space

|||||-||
|.....\L
|.....||
|....S||
||||||||

Slamexo
2010-01-09, 12:24 PM
Looking over the poor sap, Lyran frowned at his choice of equipment.

"See, if I had learned how to use some more weaponry, this would be a lot more useful."

Unhappy with the unuseful find and only slightly bothered to find a dead corpse, Lyran moved over to the north door for his usual routine before opening it.

Lubirio
2010-01-09, 01:16 PM
As Lyran steps inside the room, the skeleton comes to life and stands up, ready to attack him. Poised in for the kill, the skeleton moves towards Lyran and slashes away at him, swinging into empty air. Upon being able to inspect the skeleton further, Lyran finds the armor to be one of banded mail, providing ample protection for the now undead body.

Surprise! :smallbiggrin:

Map of room as of now:

| = Wall/unexplored
- = Door
\ = Open door
. = Open space

|||||-|
|....L\
|....S|
|.....|
|||||||

Skeleton had a surprise round, in which he stood up, he also won initiative, in which he attacked you, you're up.

Slamexo
2010-01-09, 05:36 PM
You know, it figures that the weapon I can kill the most with has so far been utterly useless in this dungeon.

Thinking how ineffective a set of arrows would be against a ribcage, Lyran decided to look about the room for anything he could use against the undead abomination: rocks, environmental hazards, a well placed cleric, anything!

And in case you require a spot check:

[roll0]

Who's bright idea was it to come to a dungeon alone with one type of damage and only twenty arrows to work it? :smallannoyed:

Lubirio
2010-01-09, 05:42 PM
Looking around the dungeon desperately, Lyran looked around to see the skeleton's probably ancient backpack laying around. It seems to be full of something, but if it's useful is up to Lyran to decide.

Yours. :smallwink:

And don't you have your sap still? (skeletons have DR bypassed by bludgeoning, you know...)

The skeleton was sitting on the backpack, so it's directly behind him.

Also, you picked up 5 of the arrows didn't you?

Slamexo
2010-01-09, 06:01 PM
Seeing a walking skeleton standing between him and a backpack of potentially useful things, Lyran's eyes drifted to the torch in his hand.

Screw it, what've I got to lose.

With a mighty thwack, Lyran brought his torch down at the skeleton's head in hopes of something useful occuring.

Sadly, skeletons like all undead are immune to the non-lethal damage of a sap. If you're trying to give me a break, then damn my pride. :smallannoyed:

Anywho, attack with a torch that you can or can't decide to count as an improsived club, feel free to deduct as necessary.

Attack roll: [roll0]
Damage roll: [roll1]

And tack on any extra damage you see fit for it being on fire and all.

Lubirio
2010-01-09, 06:11 PM
The swing with the torch didn't do much to the skeleton, as it clanged off its shield. The skeleton, in response, made a swing of his own at Lyran, which missed by quite a ways as well.

I'm not trying to give you a break, I'm brainstorming for you.

The torch, as you might have guessed, is under effect of a continual flame spell, otherwise it would only have lasted 2 hours. :smallwink:

The torch counts as an improvised light club, doing 1d6 damage on a hit, with -4 to hit.

Though you're lucky I didn't trap the door, that's what happened to Adder, he was fighting and tried to escape from the fight by going to the door only to find the door trapped. :smallbiggrin:

Edit: I've got an idea: you could fight defensively (with a net -9 to hit), hope for natural 20's, and hope I don't roll them for the skeleton. :smallbiggrin:

Slamexo
2010-01-09, 06:41 PM
Preparing for a tough little encounter, Lyran decided to utilise a defensive tactic whilst he slugged it out with the undead.

You're full of ideas. And dangerous player killing traps.

Fighting defensively for a few rounds until I die.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
Attack: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]
Attack: [roll4]
Damage: [roll5]
Attack: [roll6]
Damage: [roll7]
Attack: [roll8]
Damage: [roll9]
Attack: [roll10]
Damage: [roll11]
Attack: [roll12]
Damage: [roll13]
Attack: [roll14]
Damage: [roll15]
Attack: [roll16]
Damage: [roll17]
Attack: [roll18]
Damage: [roll19]
Attack: [roll20]
Damage: [roll21]
Attack: [roll22]
Damage: [roll23]

With any luck, I'll live with an AC of 18. Of course I won't.

And I was having fun too! :smallannoyed:

Well with any luck, Lyran might just survive until those crits take effect, although I forget if the attack penalty for defensive fighting applies to confirming crits. Probably does; feel free to roll for me or just nag me to do it.

Lubirio
2010-01-09, 07:07 PM
Seemingly trading blows endlessly, the skeleton doesn't notice his opponents focus on defense and keeps battering away helplessly for a good half-minute. After a while, Lyran hit the skeleton twice, at which the skeleton also hit home. In the end Lyran scored another hit, at which the skeleton dropped, blasted into undeath.

Written before rolling: You're lucky the torch is a bludgeoning weapon.

And after rolling: You lucky [foreign-curse-word-you-do-not-want-me-to-translate]. :smallannoyed:

He hit you once for 4 damage. He's dead and you again get 300xp, this was no regular skeleton...

Slamexo
2010-01-09, 07:18 PM
Breathing heavily after an otherwise intensive fight, Lyran took the oppurtunity to pat himself on the back for not dying, then headed over to the now revealed backpack to see what rewards awaited him. Assuming that whatever reward didn't take the chance to bite his face off, Lyran headed over to check the other door in the room.

Hurrah for dumb luck.

Lubirio
2010-01-10, 05:53 AM
The backpack contained a rope, a grappling hook, trail rations that were so old Lyran could barely recognize them as such, a bedroll, and an empty waterskin. Inspecting the door, Lyran discovered that it was neither locked nor trapped, and when he opened it, Lyran saw it opening up into a hallway going both ways, with the one on the right a dead end, and the one on the left there was a portcullis on the far side of the wall.

The rope is 50ft long and made of silk, and the bedroll is made for a medium creature.

Slamexo
2010-01-10, 10:57 AM
Trying the various items, Lyran realised that anything of use would be exerting more weight on himself than would let him retain as much mobility, and tiring him out.

I should've lifted more weights as a child.

Leaving the contents for later retrieval if necessary, Lyran moved over to the porticullis stealthily and looked for whatever may have lurked on the other side.

Stupid weight limits and movement affecting things. :smallannoyed:

Spot: [roll0]
Move Silently: [roll1]
Hide: [roll2]

Question: if someone was plannin' on multiclassing next level for whatever reason, what're your opinions on such a matter.

Lubirio
2010-01-10, 11:12 AM
Looking through the portcullis, Lyran sees several undead seemingly at work, they have several wares laid out in front of them, on various tables and counters. Looking at them, Lyran can't quite figure out what they are, but he can see they aren't as mindless as some of the undead he's encountered. They seem to be in conversation with each other, arguing perhaps and don't seem to notice Lyran as he peeks through the portcullis.

There's 5 undead, two tables, and one counter. make a knowledge dungeoneering check to identify the undead.

I believe I've said I frown on dipping. I don't disallow it however, and anything is fair play as long as it's from the sources I haven't banned. I do use multi-class penalties to further discourage dipping.

Slamexo
2010-01-10, 11:19 AM
Weird; it's like they're preparing something.

Seeing no initial way to infiltrate the room from his current point, Lyran turns around to leave when he spies the dead end point of the corridor.

How strange that someone would build a passage with nothing on the end...

Suspecting it may conceal more than it initially appears to, Lyran begins searching up and down the dead end corridor.

Shame Lyran lacks knowledge (dungeoneering) to make the trained only check.

Lubirio
2010-01-10, 11:26 AM
Further inspecting the dead, Lyran finds nothing of note and goes back to the portcullis.

Not sure what you were trying to do beside take 20 on seaching the dead end... :smallconfused:

Slamexo
2010-01-10, 11:44 AM
Well, this situation is somewhat inevitable. I better stop and think things through.

Lyran was about to go backtrack through the dungeon, when he remembered the zombie that was in his way the night before.

Talk about being stuck between a rock and a hard place.

With not much else to do, Lyran decided to stay hidden between the porticullis and the undead, staying quiet until something interesting happened. After all, they couldn't just stand there forever.

My bad, forgot to be clear about that. :smallbiggrin:

Anywho, Lyran'll hide behind the porticullis until something interesting happens, or enough hours pass for him to get bored and decide nothing interesting is going down; say about four or five.

Hide: [roll0]
Spot (Just looking around the room really, but feel free to apply it elsewhere.): [roll1]

Lubirio
2010-01-10, 11:54 AM
Undead as they were, they stood there, unloading some goods from bags occasionally at regular intervals, and waited there, motionless as only undead could. As Lyran looked into the room closer, he didn't have much better to do, he saw that the wares laid out by the undead seemed in perfect condition, brand new as they were only in a shop.

Taking 20 on your spot check reveals the room to be a shop. They sell and buy anything under 400gp in price. :smallbiggrin:

Their starting attitude is indifferent, if you want to know.

Also, since you decided to wait so long, the time is now about 2pm.

Slamexo
2010-01-10, 01:43 PM
Deciding that he was safe enough behind the porticullis, and not curious about the fact that these undead seemed intelligent enough, Lyran decided to speak up.

Oi! Zombies! What're you doing there?

Lubirio
2010-01-10, 01:57 PM
One of the undead looked up at being spoken at, and approached the portcullis, and began to speak in an offended tone. "We are not zombies, mortal, we are above them." Suddenly changing posture to reflect a businessman's look, the same undead spoke again, "Would you like to view some of our wares? We have much that might interest a fine archer like yourself."

Still indifferent.

If you want to know, they're necropolitan, though Lyran does not know this.

Slamexo
2010-01-10, 02:16 PM
Now confused as to why undead are running a shop, Lyran shrugs and decides to take advantage of the offer.

"What the hell; I knew there was a reason I carried money anyway.

Got anything particularly interesting? Like potions that will make me less dead?

Actually, hold that thought whilst I go grab things to sell to you, if you buy and such."

Lyran then took this oppurtunity to head back and grab all the possessions off the skeleton he had defeated and its backpack for selling, making multiple trips if necessary.

I know that it's essentially everything under 400 gp, but give me a moment to decide on stuff whilst they let him in or decide to steal from him or such. :smallbiggrin:

Also, I don't even know what a necropolitan is anyway. :smalltongue:

Lubirio
2010-01-10, 02:30 PM
Seeming to wonder where Lyran was going, the undead opened the portcullis after much effort, and let him in, saying, "We have arrows, potions, all kinds of stuff, though somewhat limited in our price range, what with being in this damned dungeon and all." Clearly the undead have never been outside this dungeon, and they buy all the stuff Lyran gets for them, eagerly putting it in sacks.

Assuming you sell absolutely everything, you get 14pp and 5cp from them, or 140.05gp.

For healing potions, might I suggest a potion of Faith healing? it heals 9hp to followers of a specific deity, and costs 50gp, as it is a 1st level cleric spell. :smallwink:

Slamexo
2010-01-10, 03:00 PM
Shopping for various things of varying use, Lyran eventually finished his purchases and decided to see if he couldn't learn anything useful whilst he was there.

"So, as a customer to a merchant who could theoretically make more money by surviving longer which he would spend her, do you have any tips or notes about this here dungeon I may find handy? If I'm remembering right, this passage is kind of a dead end."

Too bad Lyran's an atheist. Stupid shooting self in the foot repeatedly. :smallannoyed:

Anyway, shopping list!
~ Dagger (2gp)
~ Club (Although there's no listed price, just deduct however muc the zombies feel they can extort if they have anything that'll work. Otherwise just ignore this one.
~ Enough arrows to have 20 of 'em again, which I'll just call 3gp.

Also selling that leather armour, and buying some padded armour instead to increase carrying capacity for everyone's benefit, but mostly Lyran's.

And a diplomacy check as needed. [roll0]

Slamexo
2010-01-10, 03:03 PM
Forgot the 4x potions of cure light wounds, one of which Lyran'll drink immediately for [roll0] healing, add on whatever caster level the maker was.

Lubirio
2010-01-10, 03:10 PM
The undead either don't seem to care or don't want to answer Lyran's questions, as they look up in unison, then look down again and get the man's stuff for him. "We do not know of things outside of this room, I am sorry."

Clubs are free, they do 1d6 damage, weigh 3 lbs and can be thrown with a range increment of 10ft. You are proficient with a club.

That's all you buy, nothing else?

Edit: they cost 50gp each and are Caster level 1st, you get healed 7hp for the first one.

Edit2: no more than 20 arrows?

Slamexo
2010-01-10, 03:16 PM
"Hrm, that's a shame. Can you at least tell me who you work for?

Oh, and some more of those arrows please."

Now that Lyran has more space for carrying, more arrows are viable without making mobility suffer.

Another 20, at that.

Lubirio
2010-01-10, 03:27 PM
Looking somewhat surprised at being asked who they work for, the undead tells Lyran a little irate, "But we work for the omnipotent X'Challa, surely you must know that!" After the retort, the undead took another quiver full of arrows out from under the counter and gave it to him, accepting the money in exchange.

Try pronouncing that. :smallwink:

You about ready to get going again?

Slamexo
2010-01-11, 12:28 PM
"I have no idea who that is, but I'm sure you have better things to do than to spread religious knowledge."

Giving the undead a small wave goodbye, Lyran proceeds to exit the store and return through the passage he initially came through unless something nasty occurs en route or something has visually changed. When arriving at the door he escaped the undead through, Lyran shall take the chance to press an ear to the door and listen for the sound of shambling corpses.

Hohum, where to go now...

Listen check: [roll0]

Lubirio
2010-01-11, 02:16 PM
Listening at the door reveals nothing of particular interest to Lyran, and keeping his ear there for a somewhat longer time, he still doesn't detect anything suspicious.

Taking 20 on listen there for you. :smallwink:

Slamexo
2010-01-11, 02:44 PM
Still cautious despite his lack of any audible dangers, Lyran will keep his dagger at the ready before gingerly shoving the door open. If nothing appears imminent, he will take a few cautious steps into the room and the next one after that.

You're so thoughtful.

Checks for whilst on the move:

Spot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]

Lubirio
2010-01-11, 02:52 PM
As Lyran opened the door, the zombie he'd faced before suddenly sprang to life at his entering, and looked murderous, the arrows half-gnawed as he'd tried to eat them.

If you don't move, you don't make a sound. :smallbiggrin:

You win init, no surprise rounds.

Map:

| = Wall/unexplored
- = Door
. = Empty space

|||||
L...-
|...|
|..Z|
|...|
|...|
|||||

Slamexo
2010-01-11, 02:57 PM
You sod! I'm going to cut your face open now to teach you a lesson in being a pain in my arse!

Lyran, now quite annoyed to be faced with the undead yet again, rushed towards the zombie with the intention of giving it a good slice with the dagger.

ATTACK!!!

L shaped move towards the zombie so as to end up north of it (near the door for a quick escape) without provoking attack of oppurtunity, followed by an attack of deadly slashing death.

Lubirio
2010-01-11, 03:10 PM
Slow as Zombies are, it didn't dodge Lyran's attack so much as Lyran just missed. Swinging its club around slowly, the zombie hit Lyran in the face with it, creating a clear bruise where is made impact.

Miss, his attack hits for 4 damage.

Also, for easy reference, could you post your current HP and AC in every post while in combat?

Slamexo
2010-01-11, 03:21 PM
Grunting at the large bruise across his face, Lyran continued his slash fest on the undead foe.

GRR!

HP = 3
AC = 15

Attack roll: [roll0]
Damage roll: [roll1]

Lubirio
2010-01-11, 03:31 PM
Lyran slashed at the undead's face, only to be met by little resistance, much less than he'd experienced with his arrows. A deep gash was left on the zombie's cheek, which apparently made him weak to retaliate and his attack clattered off Lyran's armor harmlessly.

Yours hits, and his misses.

Slamexo
2010-01-11, 03:39 PM
Growing uncomfortable with the proximity to the undead, Lyran clutches his dagger tightly.

Damnit, a melee combatant I am not!

Turning tail to run, Lyran carefully manuevered himself to go out the door he had not entered, and run for the arch he knew the zombie did not enjoy crossing.

Withdraw action to move 60 ft in the direction of the ol' arch from yesterday.

AC: 15
HP : 3

Lubirio
2010-01-11, 03:41 PM
The zombie, as before, did not follow through the archway, and just stood there, motionless for quite a while, waiting for something he didn't know wouldn't happen.

Gonna shoot him from there huh? :smallconfused:

Slamexo
2010-01-11, 03:52 PM
Deciding that this route is a dead end save for the shop and the undead monsters that were a bitch for him to overcome single handedly, Lyran decided to take the oppurtunity for a good long backtrack.

Assuming nothing happens to delay him en route, Lyran eventually backtracks to the room he arrived in immediately following the room with the sheet where he had made his mark, and sought to check the door opposite the arch he had not tried before hand.

And waste all those arrows trying to overcome that pain in the arse damage reduction? I think not.

Anywho, loooooooooooooong walk back to that room, then taking 20 on searching the door unless something happens to make Lyran die en route.

Lubirio
2010-01-11, 03:53 PM
Um... beyond the shop the hallway goes on... :smallconfused:

Slamexo
2010-01-11, 03:57 PM
It does?! Holy poop!

Stupid lack of imagination.

Would you be willing to let Lyran withdraw in the other direction or will additional removement be necessary?

Lubirio
2010-01-11, 04:12 PM
Don't you want to xp from the zombie?

also, you are where you are, zombie in the archway, figuratively breathing in your neck. :smallamused:

Slamexo
2010-01-11, 04:19 PM
Yes, yes I do. But I also want to live.

Thank you, proximious shop.

Keeping the zombie within sight, and also out of its reach, Lyran took out his bow and arrow and started opening fire until the zombie was nothing more than a pin cushion.

And now for a long list of arrows.

Attack: [roll24]
Damage: [roll25]
Attack: [roll26]
Damage: [roll27]
Attack: [roll28]
Damage: [roll29]
Attack: [roll30]
Damage: [roll31]
Attack: [roll32]
Damage: [roll33]
Attack: [roll34]
Damage: [roll35]
Attack: [roll36]
Damage: [roll37]
Attack: [roll38]
Damage: [roll39]

Tha'ssalottaarrowsa!

Slamexo
2010-01-11, 04:20 PM
Sole crit confirm.

[roll0]

Go go x3 max damage dead zombie! :smallcool:

Lubirio
2010-01-11, 04:29 PM
the zombie stood there, motionless, as Lyran began shooting at it again, taking 2 arrows without complaint or sign of weakness. The third arrow Lyran shot seemed like an intent to miss, as the next arrow was so dead-on in the zombie's neck that it was hard to believe Lyran ever missed him in the first place. The final arrow the the neck made the zombie gurgle loudly and after what seemed like an eternity, the gurgling became lower in volume and the zombie finally fell down on the floor, lifeless.

Hit, hit, miss (breaks), hit and confirmed, dead. Normally instead of doing x3, you roll twice more and add that, but for this one...

Also, these were all PBS's. :smallbiggrin:

you shoot 4 arrows, and lose all 4, but the zombie's dead and you get 300xp, almost level 2 now, you can almost smell it!

Slamexo
2010-01-11, 04:54 PM
Patting himself on the back through a smile, Lyran sought to check the zombie's body for any concealed goods, head back to the store and resupply himself with four more arrows, giving a generous tip to the merchants, and then continue ahead through the hallway for whatever dangers may await him.

All that, I'll just pag 1g for the extra arrows as needed. Stop Lyran when anything noteworthy appears and all.

Lubirio
2010-01-11, 05:05 PM
Having himself resupplied, Lyran went on through the dungeon to find himself going around several twists and bends, but eventually came to a door that looked normal enough.

You could maybe get some kind of slashing/bludgeoning ranged weapon?

Throwing the dagger can do just that, since it's slashing or piercing.

Slamexo
2010-01-11, 06:48 PM
Looking at the door like he would any other, Lyran began his routine.

Search 20 yadayadayada unlock if needed yadayadayada.

I would buy a sling, but then I'd be over into a medium load. Dear lord do I hate playing the encumbrance game. :smallannoyed:

Lubirio
2010-01-12, 09:53 AM
Lyran finds nothing of interest on the door, and opens it without further ado. Beyond the door, the room was a narrow, pretty long one, with a door at the long side. What's more interesting though, is that, crouching against the wall trying to blend into the surroundings, was a human so nasty-looking, so vile, decayed, that it was unmistakeably a zombie. Though less reptile-looking than the last one, and lacking any sort of tail, this one seemed more fearful than fearsome, but it was still one hell of a nasty sight to look at. At Lyran's entrance, the zombie-man looked straight at him, seemingly unaware of the danger ahead.

Right, that doesn't treat sneaky people well, dwarf fighter types are fine with it though, but not you sneaky folk. :smallwink:

Next time you face a door I'll just do the routine for you, saves us both time.

No surprise round, you win initiative.

Also, map:

| = Wall/unexplored
- = Door
\ = Open door
. = Empty space

|||||
|...|
|...|
|..L\
|...|
|...|
|..Z|
|...|
|...|
|...|
|...|
|...|
|||-|

Slamexo
2010-01-12, 02:40 PM
Just once, I'd like to meet something in here with a discernable anatomy! Is that so much to ask for?!

Quite annoyed with events, Lyran pulls out one of his potions of cure light wounds and downs it, before drawing his dagger in preparation.

That lot, drinking the potion shall produce me [roll0] healing, unless I'm mistaken.

Lubirio
2010-01-12, 02:52 PM
The zombie seems unwavered by his dagger and logs his body into Lyran, hoping to mutilate his body in the process.

Yes it does, and nice rolling. :smallwink:

he hits for 3 new damage. :smalltongue:

Slamexo
2010-01-12, 03:12 PM
Nope, I'm not playing this game.

Moving back into the hallway, Lyran proceeds to sheathe his dagger and draw his bow, checking behind himself to see if the zombie follows him down the corridor or remains where he can see it.

I think we all saw this coming eventually.

Move action down the corridor whilst combining it with sheathing the dagger, then standing as far back as can be whilst keeping line of sight Lyran shall draw out the ol' arrow shooter.

Lubirio
2010-01-12, 03:14 PM
sheathing/drawing a weapon whilst moving required BAB +1, and doing that (moving) provokes an AoO... :smallwink:

Slamexo
2010-01-12, 03:18 PM
Forgetting laws is as irritating as sneak attack proof enemies. :smallyuk:

Call it a withdraw action, then we'll worry about weapon drawing once I see if the zombie follows Lyran through the door and such.

Lubirio
2010-01-12, 03:24 PM
Lyran moves himself swiftly out of the way from the zombie's reach, and the zombie seems to be unwilling or unable to go after him, as if goes back farther into the room, discouraged.

You're in luck. :smalltongue:

It's still in LoS, without cover.

Slamexo
2010-01-12, 03:29 PM
Taking this oppurtunity, Lyran draws his bow and opens fire.

Lyran shall fire a beautiful barrage of bullets!

I mean arrows.

Attack: [roll24]
Damage: [roll25]
Attack: [roll26]
Damage: [roll27]
Attack: [roll28]
Damage: [roll29]
Attack: [roll30]
Damage: [roll31]
Attack: [roll32]
Damage: [roll33]
Attack: [roll34]
Damage: [roll35]
Attack: [roll36]
Damage: [roll37]
Attack: [roll38]
Damage: [roll39]
Attack: [roll40]
Damage: [roll41]
Attack: [roll42]
Damage: [roll43]
Attack: [roll44]
Damage: [roll45]
Attack: [roll46]
Damage: [roll47]
Attack: [roll48]
Damage: [roll49]
Attack: [roll50]
Damage: [roll51]
Attack: [roll52]
Damage: [roll53]
Attack: [roll54]
Damage: [roll55]
Attack: [roll56]
Damage: [roll57]
Attack: [roll58]
Damage: [roll59]
Attack: [roll60]
Damage: [roll61]
Attack: [roll62]
Damage: [roll63]
Attack: [roll64]
Damage: [roll65]
Attack: [roll66]
Damage: [roll67]
Attack: [roll68]
Damage: [roll69]
Attack: [roll70]
Damage: [roll71]
Attack: [roll72]
Damage: [roll73]
Attack: [roll74]
Damage: [roll75]
Attack: [roll76]
Damage: [roll77]
Attack: [roll78]
Damage: [roll79]

That's a big beautiful barrage of bullets. Arrows.

Until it stops being in LoS and such.

Slamexo
2010-01-12, 03:31 PM
Sole crit crit confirm and damage. I expect it's still quite alive-ish, seeing those rolls. :smallannoyed:

Confirm: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1] [roll2]

Lubirio
2010-01-12, 03:54 PM
As Lyran was shooting it, the zombie walked over to him and looked at him sadly, as if he wanted to escape, and after hitting it more than enough times to kill a normal human being, he finally fell down, his trapped spirit released.

Hit, hit, hit, hit, hit, miss (doesn't break), hit, miss (breaks), hit, hit, hit, hit and kill. You lost 11 arrows in this process.

I try to make every encounter unique you see. :smallwink:

Slamexo
2010-01-12, 05:58 PM
An effective tactic, if not one that's getting old fast.

Moving over to the corpse, Lyran gives it a quick once over before downing another one of his healing potions, and moving over to search the other door in the room.

If that corpse is wearing clothes or anything that could hide anything and such Lyran'll take 20 on a search, and if not then Lyran shall drink his potion for [roll0] healing and then search the south door in the room now.

Have I levelled up some? :smallbiggrin:

Lubirio
2010-01-13, 10:32 AM
Yes, but barely, you get 150XP, this one was easier than the others, clearly. I believe you're now at 1050XP?

I'll wait for you to update your sheet, then we continue, once you've updated your sheet:
Lyran searches the only other door in the room after dismissing anything on the zombie's person to be worthless, and found nothing of particular interest on the door, and continues through it to find himself going through yet another hallway, though this one seemed like an endless one, indeed it took him quite a while to trespass it before he came to a split in the road.

One is straight, one to your left, they look identical.

Slamexo
2010-01-14, 10:16 AM
I feel more evasive.

Looking at the two passages ahead of him, Lyran decided to take the one straight ahead of him; he headed down there as quietly as possible, in order to not attract attention to himself, whilst keeping an eye open for any dangers that may have lied in wait.

Moving silently down the hall straight in front of Lyran, whilst making spot and listen checks on the go.

Listen: [roll2]

Also taking average HP at level up, which is 4 more hp for Lyran if I'm not mistaken with his 14 constitution and such.

Lubirio
2010-01-14, 10:19 AM
Crap... :eek:

I lost the map of the dungeon... :smallredface:

Taking the other passage, you would've found the stairs up, let's assume you do that, because I still have the second level map. 'mkay?

Slamexo
2010-01-18, 06:56 PM
Suddenly remembering his loss of arrows from before, Lyran makes a brief backtrack to the store to resupply himself once more before forgetting which way in the caves he was going, and instead going down the left passage rather than the one straight ahead of him.

If you'll let me remember to do that first. :smallbiggrin:

Why yes, there was a subtle bump just here.