PDA

View Full Version : Paladin help. 3.5

Mystic Muse
2010-01-02, 07:00 PM
okay. I'm making a Paladin of Bahamut as a backup character for a game I'm playing. I'm using the Paladin variant here http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133737

currently I'm level seven. I'm using an Aasimar/dragonborn and was thinking about taking either the wings or mind aspect. Breath is okay but 7d8 every 1d4 rounds at 18 HD is kind of lackluster. The disadvantage of the wings aspect is I can't use it If I have a heavy or medium load. My stats before Racial or level adjustments are these.

I can take one flaw. I was thinking of getting a drakkensteed mount but My DM informed me that the reactions to me having a mount that looks like a dragon wouldn't be good (we're playing red hand of doom) I have 19,000 gold to spend. I like Scythes and greatswords but a charging build wouldn't be bad I guess.

Is THIS enough info?

also, slightly off topic. why isn't soulbind an evil spell? Or did I misread something?

Soranar
2010-01-02, 08:28 PM
first there are feats that allow using medium loads with flying you might want to consider (powerful wings , str 15 requirement)

a diving charge while flying can be impressive too with the proper feats

charging with a lance with spirited charge effectively makes you do triple damage with a smite , even with smites/ encounter it's a worthy strategy

considering the extra damage from a two-handed power attack + divine might most of the time you've just killed 1 minion or severely impaired him

you can then set yourself up in the middle of the battlefield and threaten everyone with your reach

deuxhero
2010-01-02, 08:31 PM
Raptorians have a ACF for fighter that lets them drop heavy armor for ability to fly in medium, ask your DM if you can work that to dragonborn/Paladin.

robotrobot2
2010-01-02, 08:38 PM
Unless you can find another method of flight, pick up the wings. The biggest benefit a melee-type character can get is the ability to maneuver around and over enemies to hit weak targets and the ability to hit flying enemies. Not relying on the party wizard to cast fly means that he has one more spell slot and you don't have to worry about the duration. A really nasty combo would be flight with a reach weapon. Against grounded targets you can just sit there attacking them while they can never get into full attack range. If you are worried about maneuverability or carrying capacity, there are two feats that improve those two aspects of your flight. Flyby attack is always fun to.

Mystic Muse
2010-01-03, 07:10 AM
okay, So I'll take wings and maybe the shorten grip feat just in case? http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Shorten_Grip

ex cathedra
2010-01-03, 07:20 AM
I would go with Mind aspect, and rely on having a flying mount.

What does your DM mean? You're a paladin of Bahamut, with a glorious silver drakkensteed mount. You kill chromatic dragons. The people in RHOD who'll take offense to your mount are probably the ones that you should be killing.

I suggest reasoning with him about a drakkensteed, picking up a Valorous lance and Spirited Charge, and have fun.

Mystic Muse
2010-01-03, 07:32 AM
where is the valorous lance from?

Grumman
2010-01-03, 08:08 AM
where is the valorous lance from?
One of the Faerun books. Unapproachable East, I think.

Prime32
2010-01-03, 08:24 AM
"valorous" is a weapon enhancement which lets you deal double damage on a charge.

Mystic Muse
2010-01-03, 08:51 AM
how much does it cost?

ex cathedra
2010-01-03, 08:58 AM
It's a +1 equivalent. It provides the same bonus as the Spirited Charge feat, but they stack. Two doubles equates a tripling.

Mystic Muse
2010-01-03, 09:01 AM
which means I've only spent 2,000 of 19,000. hmm. what to buy next. Since I've already got a 20 in Charisma (+2 racial bonus +1 level up bonus) should I focus on increasing other stats like strength or constitution?

ex cathedra
2010-01-03, 09:07 AM
You could get a +1 Valorous Platinum Lance for like 9300gp. That's 8d6+4+4xStr on a mounted charge, not accounting for your two-handed power attack returns.

Edit: Yes, I would invest in Strength and Constitution as well.

Mystic Muse
2010-01-03, 09:08 AM
what's platinum from/what's it do exactly? (I'll probably use it since I'm a Paladin of the Platinum dragon.:smalltongue:)

ex cathedra
2010-01-03, 09:10 AM
Platinum is a weapon material from Magic of Faerun. It gives the weapon the Heavy property, which increases your die size by one step. So, a lance does 1d8 damage, while a platinum lance does 2d6.

Mystic Muse
2010-01-03, 09:13 AM
I can't get divine might though if I have power attack, mounted combat, ride by attack and spirited charge. (the middle two are required for spirited charge and I have to take a flaw just to get power attack)

EDIT: rule I forgot about. since we only have two or three players most of the time (other players have problems getting there sometime) the DM is giving us max HP

ex cathedra
2010-01-03, 09:21 AM
Right, I didn't realize how strapped for feats you are. Is the homebrew paladin's spellcasting based on wisdom or charisma? Considering that it already lets you burn turn attempts for your weapon, at level 9 I'd consider taking Battle Blessing. That would let you cast a Paladin spell and still charge in a round.

Mystic Muse
2010-01-03, 12:06 PM
Right, I didn't realize how strapped for feats you are. Is the homebrew paladin's spellcasting based on wisdom or charisma? Considering that it already lets you burn turn attempts for your weapon, at level 9 I'd consider taking Battle Blessing. That would let you cast a Paladin spell and still charge in a round.

still based on wisdom unfortunately.

it seems most of the good abilities are based off of charisma though So I don't think I have to be overly concerned about spellcasting prowess.

EDIT: if I buy gauntlets of ogre power and an amulet of health that leaves me 1,700 GP (since I bought the lance) I'm also going to take the wing aspect in case my mount dies and leaves me without a form of flying. (no wizards/sorcerers in the party) what should I get with the remaining GP?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-01-03, 12:59 PM
I'd highly recommend the Heart aspect with the feat Entangling Exhalation. The damage is irrelevant when you've got an entire encounter debuffed to moving at half speed with -2 to hit and -4 to Dex, and having to make Concentration checks to cast spells and use spell-like abilities.

Why would it matter that your mount looks like a dragon when your character looks like one as well? Just be sure that Bahamut's logo is emblazoned on its barding, ignorant illiterate townsfolk may be frightened but their pitchforks and torches cannot harm you. Anyone important would recognize what you represent and have a positive reaction, so appearances won't really matter.

Mystic Muse
2010-01-03, 08:52 PM
I don't know if entangle is worth possible no flight and an entire feat. (remember, If my mount dies I'm screwed for thirty days or until I get another level.)

Mystic Muse
2010-01-07, 01:33 AM
okay. I'm wondering if these'd be good feats (after I get the suggested charge ones)

1. winter's mount. I also have to ask, is this a feat I have to take or does my mount take it? http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Winter~s_Mount
2.trample http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Trample
3. swift call http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Swift_Call
4. reinforced wings. http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Reinforced_Wings

or are there other feats I should take?

Pharaoh's Fist
2010-01-07, 01:52 AM
Why would it matter that your mount looks like a dragon when your character looks like one as well? Just be sure that Bahamut's logo is emblazoned on its barding, ignorant illiterate townsfolk may be frightened but their pitchforks and torches cannot harm you. Anyone important would recognize what you represent and have a positive reaction, so appearances won't really matter.

Because Dwagon Widers are super speshul awesum! I learned it from Eragon!