PDA

View Full Version : [3.5, Core-only] Build Help

Juhn
2010-01-02, 07:38 PM
I'm playing in the same campaign as the one this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135245) is about, and like babus, I'd like some build help.

I'm playing under a first-time DM who's only familiar with the corebooks, so she's ruled core-only until such time as she's had time to digest other books. She's made a couple of exceptions so far, but they have to be submitted to her for review before she'll allow it (so far that's basically just my race and allowing our cold-focused sorceror to take Energy Substitution from Complete Arcane once he qualifies). As such, I'm not looking for any additional non-core stuff at the moment. My party consists of a Human Conjurer, a Human Necromancer, a Dwarf Fighter, and a Halfling Rogue. I myself am playing a Cleric of Fharlanghn with the Luck and Travel domains, and I talked my DM into allowing Gold Dwarf so I don't have to take a CHA hit (and since DEX hits are generally actually worse).

I've rolled the following stats, before racial modifiers: 16, 15, 11, 11, 10, 10; and I have 170 gold with which to buy starting equipment.

What I'm looking for right now is mainly how I should assign these stats, what to spend starting gold on, and what starting feat to take (as well as any other useful tips for how to make my cleric useful to this party, but that's less immediate).

Thanks for any help.

deuxhero
2010-01-02, 07:45 PM
Bedroll, tent, 2 or more 10 foot poles, sovereign glue (don't forget universal solvent), a dagger, waterskin, rations and a good length of rope are all good ideas. Tanglefoot bags are fairly decent even at high levels, half move speed guaranteed (use one on a flyer and note that non-perfect flyers have to go at least half speed or they fall and that you need to go slower to turn or go up... ^_^)

HCL
2010-01-02, 07:50 PM
I would probably do

highest wis
second and third highest str or con (depends on whether you want to focus on casting or mace it up)
cha
Int
Dex

PinkysBrain
2010-01-02, 08:03 PM
Wand of CLW with 10 charges (so the DM doesn't get the wrong idea what healing in D&D is all about).

Eldariel
2010-01-02, 08:34 PM
You can't really pull off a warrior cleric with those stats without going dangerously low on Con. I'd definitely go Middle-Aged if allowed though; 16 is absolutely Wisdom and 15 should probably be Con (if you go Warrior, well, put 11 in Con, but you're gonna be a squishy frontliner that way). If dumping Str, you could toss 10 to Str and get 11 in Cha or Int, upped to 12 with Age-bonuses. Otherwise, you'll want 11 in Con/Str and 10s in Cha and Int.

This gives you the following array:
9 Str
8 Dex
16 Con
11 Int
17 Wis
12 Cha (or 12 Int, 11 Cha)

or
14 Str
8 Dex
12 Con
11 Int
17 Wis
11 Cha

depending on whether you go warrior or melee. For what it's worth, Cha-penalty would be better for you since you don't frankly care about Turning Undead (you'll suck at it anyways) and there are no other worthwhile uses for Turning in Core, but Dex-penalty isn't unsurvivable though it does suck, especially early on before Dex-boosters are available (note, Dex is penalty to AC AND Initiative-penalty in addition to Reflex penalty). It's still at most a tertiary stat though so unfortunately that's the best you can do.

Oh, and if you can't go Middle-Aged, I suggest a similar spread except with 11 in Str ('cause that increases your carrying capacity, while no other 11s are in any way useful). The Middle-Aged spread is most assuredly superior, but...

Juhn
2010-01-02, 08:54 PM
Well, at least judging from my deity, I may not be going Warrior Cleric, though we do only have the one Fighter really for combat right now.

Eldrys
2010-01-02, 08:59 PM
Well, at least judging from my deity, I may not be going Warrior Cleric, though we do only have the one Fighter really for combat right now.

well you also have a conjurer and a necromancer(summons and animate undead) who can act as fighters

Juhn
2010-01-02, 09:02 PM
True enough, though as the Necromancer is a Wizard (as is the Conjurer, as I apparently failed to point that out in my OP as well) she won't be getting Animate Dead for a while. I do see the part where that makes me less vital as a tank versus a buff-machine, though.

Eldariel
2010-01-02, 09:03 PM

Eh, go Hill Dwarf then; you REALLY don't want 8 Dex on a level 1 frontliner, especially one with 12 Con. Middle-Aged, 15 Str, 11 Dex, 11 Con, 10 Int, 16 Wis, 10 Cha, converted into 14 Str, 10 Dex, 12 Con, 11 Int, 17 Wis, 9 Cha. Best you can do, really.

12 Con is a bit low, but if you want to be a Warrior, you really need some Str (for Power Attack later too); level 1 combat is mostly a bunch of attribute checks (though your spells can pick up the slack a bit later). And yeah, a Cleric needs Wis. You'll get to 18 on level 4, which is a boon. Your Cha will suck, but eh, you're a Dwarf, that's not really surprising, no more than it is bothersome.

If it wasn't level 1, it wouldn't be such a big problem, but on level 1, having penalty to any combat stat just really sucks.

deuxhero
2010-01-02, 09:05 PM
Druid really seems like a better choice at this point.

Juhn
2010-01-02, 09:10 PM
Quite possibly, though I'm rather locked into the class at this point.

Aldizog
2010-01-02, 09:27 PM
It's a first-timer DM? Play a healer cleric. Don't mess around with the more complicated options (e.g. no druid). She's probably going to balance the encounters on the given CRs, for which a really low level of optimization is appropriate. Slowly bring in the buffing spells and stuff now and then, but not so much as to create an arms race.

Focus on surviving. You have great domains which will contribute to that. Maybe 16 Con (which becomes 18), 15 Wis. Then bump the Wis to 16 at 4th. I doubt that a first-time 3E DM would run a game much past level 10 or throw anything seriously optimized at you, so a 15 starting Wis is just fine; could do it the other way around if you really want. But I think at levels 1-3 in a low-optimization game the extra HP are more help than the spell DCs.

Turning does work pretty well at low levels. Probably not enough for Extra Turning or Improved Turning to be worth it, though. I'd take Improved Initiative as your feat. Maybe Brew Potion, Craft Wondrous Item, or Scribe Scroll at level 3.

Paul H
2010-01-02, 09:39 PM
Hi

I'd still take the standard Dwarf, so:

Str 10 Dex 11 Con 17 Int 10 Wis 16 Cha 9 (Adjusted for Race)

AS for equipment, DON'T FORGET the BASICS!

Holy Symbol, Spell Component Pouch, 2 Waterskins, Backpack, Whistle, 10x Chalk, Winter Blanket, Cold Wthr Clothes, 2 Daggers, Belt Pouch, Lge Wood Shield, Std Lthr or Chain Shirt armour (whichever you can afford), 3 days trail rations, Flint & Steel.
Take a Club & Sling for free, but buy some lead bullets. You can upgrade to Morningstar & Lt Crossbow when you've got the money.

I normally take some soap, pitons & small hammer too.

Don't worry about encumbrance - you're a Dwarf, and you can totally ignore anything less than your max carry load.

Lastly, spells. I find that Bless & Magic Wpn are good. (You normally spont at least one into healing, anyway....). For Orisons make sure you've got Create Water & Guidance.

Hope this helped
Paul H

Juhn
2010-01-02, 09:45 PM
Is starting at Middle-Age still a good idea, or should I just stick with Adult?

As for equipment, we've been told that our first session has us starting in a city that we've ended up in after a shipwreck, so wilderness-survival equipment may not be as necessary as usual.

I keep remembering things like this that I should have put in my OP...

Also, thanks for all the help so far. Those last two replies in particular have been very direct and helpful.

Eldariel
2010-01-02, 09:57 PM

As for equipment, we've been told that our first session has us starting in a city that we've ended up in after a shipwreck, so wilderness-survival equipment may not be as necessary as usual.

I keep remembering things like this that I should have put in my OP...

Also, thanks for all the help so far. Those last two replies in particular have been very direct and helpful.

With so many odd scores, yes, middle-age is perfect. 11, 15, 11 are all going to physical stats anyways so all the Middle-Aged does you is...give you no penalties while increasing your main stat by 1. That's pretty much it. You trade 15 - 16 for 14 - 17; everything else remains the same. As you aren't putting level ups in the 14 anyways, that's great.

Aldizog
2010-01-02, 10:00 PM
Starting at Middle Age is done to push the starting Wis to 17 and drop the Con to 14 (16 after Dwarf bonus). You'd start as Adult if you wanted starting Wis as 15 and starting Con as 16 (18 after dwarf bonus).

The older dwarf will have +1 on save DCs, Will saves, and some skill checks. The younger dwarf will have +1 HP/level, and +1 on Fort saves and Concentration checks. No difference in bonus spells at levels 1-6.
At levels 7-11, the older dwarf gets a bonus 4th-level spell per day. The poster in the other thread indicated there was only a remote chance of this campaign going past 11.

Personally, I'd stick with Adult, though not for mechanical reasons. More that 3E's rapid level rise always makes it jarring to me when somebody who's never gained a level in the past 100 years shoots up 5 levels in a month. The cleric being just out of the seminary makes more sense to me.

Juhn
2010-01-02, 10:02 PM
Alright, so then my stat array as a regular dwarf looks like this then?

10 STR
10 DEX
16 CON
12 INT
17 WIS
10 CHA

That gives me... 3 skills I can fill up. Spellcraft, Concentration, and Knowledge (Religion) I assume?

As for the rapid XP gain vs. age, perhaps the guy has seen as much of the safer parts of the world as he can, and his pilgrimages for Fharlanghn have started to get more dangerous starting at this point as a result?

Eldariel
2010-01-02, 10:12 PM
Spellcraft isn't strictly necessary (though it's exceedingly useful when dealing with other casters); you may interest yourself in Diplomacy, cross-class Sense Motive (with your Wis, you're still pretty good at it), the other Knowledges or maybe Survival if the party lacks a wilderness guy (the skill is pretty huge on 1). But that's a fine skill array, yes.

And yeah, either 14 Str/12 Con or 16 Con depending on whether you go warrior or pure caster (remember that Summons don't come onto their own until at the very earliest level 3-5 simply for Casting Time/Duration-reasons). You'll obviously only get 18 Wis on level 4.

As for starting age, you must remember that even just level 1 in a class, especially one like Cleric, means a lot of work so if you found your calling even a bit later, after a civilian age, Middle-Aged Dwarf Cleric isn't even pushing it.

If you've been a traveler, seeing places over the road instead of just training piously (very appropriate for a Cleric of Fharlanghn), late training and thus late 1st level seems very logical, not to mention adventurers can gain levelS in a matter of weeks during adventures so levels are a very large abstraction as far as they are concerned.

Juhn
2010-01-02, 10:18 PM
These stats were rolled, so I don't think I can actually split my 16 into a 14 and a 12, if I understand what you're suggesting. Concept-wise, I see him as more of a wanderer and less of a warrior, so high-Con mediocre-Str-and-Dex makes sense for that part.

I'm pretty sure the Necromancer at least is going with Diplomacy (as she's a LN-leaning-toward-LE devotee of Wee Jas hoping to eventually go for Lich, so she's trying to not be immediately burned at the stake or anything), and we've also got a Sorc who'll probably sink a point or two into it.

I do like the idea of Sense Motive, though, and the fact that it's cross-class baffles me to no end.

Eldariel
2010-01-02, 10:50 PM
These stats were rolled, so I don't think I can actually split my 16 into a 14 and a 12, if I understand what you're suggesting.

"Splitting" would involve placing the 15 into Str and 11 into Con; that leaves you with 14 Str and 12 Con. I was referring to the other stat arrangement.

Concept-wise, I see him as more of a wanderer and less of a warrior, so high-Con mediocre-Str-and-Dex makes sense for that part.

Wanderer...well, as you will, but you'd imagine he'd also have some skill in fighting, if only wild animals, with all his travels. But yeah, either option is fine; just, the party might want another Fighter.

I'm pretty sure the Necromancer at least is going with Diplomacy (as she's a LN-leaning-toward-LE devotee of Wee Jas hoping to eventually go for Lich, so she's trying to not be immediately burned at the stake or anything), and we've also got a Sorc who'll probably sink a point or two into it.

I do like the idea of Sense Motive, though, and the fact that it's cross-class baffles me to no end.

As it does everyone else. Cleric, of all classes, with cross-class Sense Motive? WTFBBQARETHEYSMOKINGOHGODTHINKFORAMOMENTPEOPLE

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-01-03, 01:07 AM
I'll agree that concentrating on defense and survival is better than making an offense-focused character, especially with those ability scores. I'd actually go with a Deep Dwarf (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/dwarf.htm#deepDwarf) from the Monster Manual, and get a pair of sunglasses to counteract the light sensitivity. Remember that a Dwarf isn't slowed down by medium or heavy armor/load, so you won't need an extremely high Strength score. I'll agree that starting out middle-age is a good idea, just say that he lived an ordinary mundane life up to this point and is just now setting out to find some sort of purpose. Maybe he has a wife and family already, or maybe he lost them to a disaster/attack and has turned to religion. Here's what I'd do for stats:

Str 10 (11, -1 age)
Dex 9 (10, -1 age)
Con 16 (15, +2 race, -1 age)
Int 11 (10, +1 age)
Wis 17 (16, +1 age)
Cha 10 (11, -2 race, +1 age)

Do you intend to stay single-classed Cleric, or go into one or more prestige classes? Even outside of Core-only, Thaumaturgist is a very strong choice. At character level 12 you can get a Ghaele Eladrin as your Planar Cohort, which is superior to any PC of that level. You need to take Spell Focus: Conjuration to qualify, which is very lackluster with the core-only spell list, but the core-only feat list is also a bit lacking. I'd probably get Spell Focus: Conjuration at level 1, Extend Spell at 3, and an item creation feat at 6th. Alternatively, get Extend Spell at 1, Craft Wondrous Item at 3rd, and Spell Focus: Conjuration at 6th. Use Extended Longstrider when adventuring, mostly so you can keep up with everyone else and maneuver better in combat.

Talk with the other two spellcasters in the party and coordinate item creation feats, which should include Craft Wondrous, Craft Arms/Armor, and Craft Wand, so each person can take one. They can each get Wand or Arms/Armor at their 5th level bonus feat, so you could get Wondrous to have each as early as possible. Forge Ring and Craft Rod are also excellent to have, especially if the party has an array of metamagic feats to make metamagic rods. Remember that multiple characters can work together to create a magic item, with each contributing a portion of the item's prerequisites, and remember that the item's caster level is not one of the prerequisites required to create it.

Juhn
2010-01-03, 01:51 AM
I'll probably stay Cleric, though Thaumaturgist does look tasty, so I'll certainly consider it. Is it useful to a True Neutral Cleric? From what I'm seeing, Planar Ally spells summon something that matches your alignment. Are there even any True Neutral Outsiders?

I know that the Necromancer is getting Wondrous Item for her phylactery, but I think she's starting with it, so that's good.

Sir Giacomo
2010-01-03, 09:16 AM
Wand of CLW with 10 charges (so the DM doesn't get the wrong idea what healing in D&D is all about).

Some people might say that the rules do not allow this :smallwink:

Anyhow, here are some ideas:
- take DEX and CON of 14 and 12 instead of 10 and 16. This way, buying a chain shirt and large shield the cleric has, while fighting defensively, a starting AC of 20. You'll hardly hit anyone but can protect well the 2 wizards together with the fighter. And high CON will not be as important as DEX at these levels. DEX boosts your only weak save, it increases the initiative (take the improved initiative feat for a very good +6 mod.; with your domain luck re-roll, your cleric will often go first) , vital for a spellcaster. Finally, you're not a complete failure when stealth is needed.
- as domain spell, I'd take longstrider most of the time.
- the other two spells should be obscuring mist (protecting the whole group and/or giving cover for escape.) and cause fear.
- combine cause fear in Teamwork with the other dwarf who should then max the intimidate skill. Result: within 30ft, your cleric can "turn" without save any one opponent up to 5 HD. (as per fear stacking rules). Even with no CHR mod, the fighter can have a mighty bonus of +9 (one of the wizards providing an enlarge and you buffing with a guidance 0-level spell).
- for skills, I recommend maxing heal and spellcraft first.

Good luck!

- Giacomo

Yuki Akuma
2010-01-03, 09:50 AM

And none of those people include you, Mr. Monk-With-Partially-Charged-Wands.

Pharaoh's Fist
2010-01-03, 09:55 AM
Who sneaks up on wizards in order to get a drop on them while permanently enlarged at the same time.

Eldariel
2010-01-03, 11:36 AM

They should be fine on character creation if the Wand is cheap enough that it could have conceivably been used previously to reach its present charge range.

That's pretty much the only reason to get the Wand you want without full charges; otherwise, it's a lot of luck and happenstance you're asking for. As such, on level 1, they should not be available as the party hasn't had a chance to use one yet and whoever is in possession of a Wand of CLW is like to use it all.

So yeah. In this case, and most of the time in real games, partially charged Wands have no place. When making a level 20 character for some short run, for someone with high UMD assumed to have used them for the whole of the game? Sure, it'd be helluva coincidence that all his Wands were fully charged. If actually playing a game, or making a starting character tho? Yeah, they don't belong.

As for the rest of the advice, all I'm gonna say is, for a character with Cure Minor Wounds and Cure Light Wounds, Heal is a rather weak skill. You can take 10 for most of the relevant functions anyways.

That, and putting 14 in Dex would be good NOW on 1st level, but it'd start to suck really quick as you gain levels, as would 12 Con. If it were a level 1 arena character, sure, but if you actually expect to level up, that gives up the advantages of your heavy armor, your HP, your offense and...well, yeah. Just about everything. As for defensive fighting, mite as well use Total Defense or Aid Another; making attacks at -4 for 1d8 damage is pretty much a waste.

Juhn
2010-01-03, 05:12 PM
Well, thanks for all the help so far. Current character sheet is here (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=167515) (and still unfinished), if anyone wants to make suggestions based on what I'm working with so far. Nothing in there is sacred beyond class and deity selection. I'm also not sure I calculated remaining gold right, and I think he might be horribly encumbered (in which case I'll just give him less rope, or less food considering we start in a city), but I'll get to double-checking that soon.

I'm currently still lacking a Feat, I believe, as well as which spells to prepare (and that negative Dex mod is bothering me more than I thought it would, but at this point I don't know whether a negative STR, INT, or CHA mod would serve me any better (considering I only get to max 2 skills as it is right now, I need STR to hit things (though I am more of a buffer than a fighter, a negative mod probably isn't a good idea) and I need CHA to turn). I can of course just pick some spells myself, but if there's anything absolutely vital for level 1 (or even just especially good) I'd appreciate being aware of it. :smallsmile:

Aldizog
2010-01-03, 05:26 PM
Rather than maxing out skills, I might scatter some.
Knowledge (Religion) isn't that essential, and doesn't fit the theme of somebody who is maybe more well-traveled than book-smart. Maybe 1 rank there, 2 ranks in Survival, and 1 rank in something else? I'd ask the DM if Knowledge (geography) can be a class skill, then take 1 rank. It doesn't seem to fit that a cleric of Fharlanghn would be limited to "common knowledge" about places.

For the feat, I'll still say that Improved Initiative is the best core option, but Scribe Scroll isn't bad either. Spells, you probably want Longstrider in your domain slot (because you can always take Entropic Shield as a regular spell), Protection from Evil as your standard cleric spell, and then one more as your bonus from Wis. Maybe Obscuring Mist or Sanctuary.

Juhn
2010-01-03, 05:58 PM
Well, I've altered the skills to fit that, pending approval

Eldariel
2010-01-03, 06:47 PM
Feat; well, Extend Spell is excellent for future use as is Quicken. All the first level feats unfortunately tend to be quite weak later on; stuff like Skill Focus: Concentration, MWP (you can't get EWP on level 1), WF/Dodge (for which you don't even qualify) and company tend to be useful on the first level, but quickly grow out of it.

If you intend on summoning things (and eventually going Thaumaturgist), heading for Augment Summoning through Spell Focus: Conjuration is a fine option, as is the Spell Penetration-line of feats for later. Spell Foci in general are probably the best 1st level feats that don't lose their usefulness, but for it to be good on 1st level, you need to pick a school with a 1st level Save or X, like Necromancy (Cause Fear) or Enchantment (Command).

Of those, Necromancy is the better longterm investment with a slew of solid Fort SoDs, but Cause Fear is quickly obsolete as is Scare. So...yeah. Pick what you want. Most of them will only kick in later.

Notice though that your latter feats quickly become extremely precious; you want some Crafts (Craft Wondrous Items, Craft Rod, Craft Magic Arms and Armor, maybe even Craft Wands; especially Craft Wondrous Items though) are all great as is Extend Spell/Quicken Spell (for your buffs and combat spells, respectively; Extended Greater Magic Weapon/Magic Vestment last all day already in the teens, and Extend Spell is the only way to make Heroes' Feast last all day without excess hassle) and yeah, Spell Penetration/Greater are very useful too, especially for a caster Cleric once the enemies start to pile up.

Improved Initiative is kinda middle-ground; always useful, but not exceedingly so. Still, if you want something that's useful on level 1 and doesn't lose its usefulness, it's a great alternative.

Without 14 Str, I wouldn't really bother much with melee, so meh. Also, Cha penalty is definitely WAY easier than Dex-penalty since the only mechanic it punishes for you is Turn Undead which, as I've mentioned a few times, is plenty weak in Core. Weak enough that you should not really need it. And it's not very good with 10 Cha either. Dex-penalty, on the other hand, punishes your Initiative, Reflex-save and AC. That sucks.

Pigkappa
2010-01-03, 07:04 PM
Even if you already have 2 wizards in the party, I think Scribe Scrolls is a great feat to take at level 1 or 3 for a cleric. There are lots of low-level Cleric-only spells which you could eventually need, many more than you can prepare.
Just staying in core, at level 1 Bless Water, Comprehend Languages, Detect Evil, Endure Elements, Hide from Undead, Obscuring Mist, Remove Fear... Can't really have all of that ready, even at high levels, since you'll certainly take Divine Favor too
At level 2 Align Weapon, Calm Emotions, Darkness, Delay Poison, Enthrall, Remove Paralysis, Resist Energy, Lesser Restorations, Silence, Undetectable Alignment
At level 3, considering spells which don't become much better with CL, you could eventually need Daylight, Deeper Darkness, Locate Object, Magic circle against Evil, Meld into Stone, Obscure Object, Remove Blindness/Deafness, Speak with Dead, Water Breathing, Wind Wall and Water Walk.

The one time you'll save your life (or the life of someone in the party) with a scroll of Delay Poison will make this feat probably much more worth than most people expected.

Also, I wouldn't take a feat that just can't be used, such as Quicken Spells. You won't be able to use for 6 levels, and I really can't imagine a decent in-game reason for a level 1 character to have that feat.

GallóglachMaxim
2010-01-03, 07:28 PM
I'll probably stay Cleric, though Thaumaturgist does look tasty, so I'll certainly consider it. Is it useful to a True Neutral Cleric? From what I'm seeing, Planar Ally spells summon something that matches your alignment. Are there even any True Neutral Outsiders?

You can cast spells that aren't opposed to your alignment, which if you're True Neutral means you can use all of them (but your DM may have an opinion about using evil ones).

Aldizog
2010-01-03, 07:33 PM
You can cast spells that aren't opposed to your alignment, which if you're True Neutral means you can use all of them (but your DM may have an opinion about using evil ones).
Planar Ally spells are a bit different.
From Complete Divine, the Planar Allies that Fharlangn sends are Medium elementals (lesser), Large elementals (regular), and Elder Arrowhawks (greater).

Juhn
2010-01-03, 10:36 PM
If you intend on summoning things (and eventually going Thaumaturgist), heading for Augment Summoning through Spell Focus: Conjuration is a fine option, as is the Spell Penetration-line of feats for later. Spell Foci in general are probably the best 1st level feats that don't lose their usefulness, but for it to be good on 1st level, you need to pick a school with a 1st level Save or X, like Necromancy (Cause Fear) or Enchantment (Command).

Of those, Necromancy is the better longterm investment with a slew of solid Fort SoDs, but Cause Fear is quickly obsolete as is Scare. So...yeah. Pick what you want. Most of them will only kick in later.Well, we already have a Necromancer Wizard and a summoning-focused Conjurer Wizard, and I don't really want to step on their toes...

I'll probably pick either Extend Spell or Scribe Scroll. I can't really use Extend Spell at level 1, but then starting out I won't have any XP to scribe scrolls with either.

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-01-04, 01:29 AM
I will direct you to the d20SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/) website. It has the entire Core rules, plus some more that I think enhances the game significantly. Look it over and link it to your GM.

Juhn
2010-01-04, 02:02 AM
I've looked it over several times before, and yes, linked her to it. Currently she's still going with Core books only, at least for now.

In other news, apparently our Fighter has dropped out due to school obligations. This will complicate things.

Optimystik
2010-01-04, 02:04 AM
Personally, I'd stick with Adult, though not for mechanical reasons. More that 3E's rapid level rise always makes it jarring to me when somebody who's never gained a level in the past 100 years shoots up 5 levels in a month. The cleric being just out of the seminary makes more sense to me.

Ah, but can you not stay in the seminary into your middle years? Age and experience go hand in hand, but they aren't joined at the hip after all. And even if he was traveling extensively, he could have been doing so in a missionary or teaching capacity - limiting his combat experience and thus his levels.

As it does everyone else. Cleric, of all classes, with cross-class Sense Motive? WTFBBQARETHEYSMOKINGOHGODTHINKFORAMOMENTPEOPLE

This, I think, is one of the more pleasing fixes they made in 4e. :smallwink:

And none of those people include you, Mr. Monk-With-Partially-Charged-Wands.

Ba-zing

Eldariel
2010-01-04, 09:15 AM
I've looked it over several times before, and yes, linked her to it. Currently she's still going with Core books only, at least for now.

In other news, apparently our Fighter has dropped out due to school obligations. This will complicate things.

14 Str, 12 Con, go warrior. Honestly, you really want at least one guy capable of smacking skulls on 1st level. Your stats aren't ideal, but they could be worse.