PDA

View Full Version : Neverending Dungeon - Terkis

Tanaric
2010-01-02, 08:16 PM
The air surrounding you fairly hums with the residue of magic, an aftereffect of the spell that brought you to this place. A quick glance reveals that you are in a small room, devoid of any life save for yourself. The sound of dripping water can be heard faintly, and the stone walls are slick with moisture. In complete defiance of logic, a torch is already lit, resting in a sconce near the room's single door.
Map:{table]|A_|B_|C_
1|||
2||T|
3|||
4|||[/table]

There is a door at C-4, south side.

DM notes:Sheet. (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=7867)

BobElliot
2010-01-02, 08:26 PM
quick ooc: I am taking this opportunity to learn by doing with pbp. From your comment on the rope I take it that I can add now with no problem?

I invoke spiderwalk; I then proceed southward and attempt to open the door quietly, hopefully preventing any creatures on the other side from attacking me.

Tanaric
2010-01-02, 08:54 PM
Sure thing. If you want to make any further purchases, finish them before exploring.

--

Opening the door reveals an unlit hallway running to the south and east. To the south, it runs for thirty feet before teeing to the east and west. After twenty feet, it splits east.

To the east, it runs beyond the range of your darkvision. After ten feet, it splits to the north and south. After thirty feet, there is a door on the north side of the hall. After sixty feet, it splits to the north and south.

BobElliot
2010-01-02, 09:31 PM
I climb 20 ft up the wall to my west; I then travel 20 ft south on the wall, allowing me to look down the east branch of the hall.
--
I hope buying less than 50 ft is allowed, my character is a bit of a weakling...

Tanaric
2010-01-02, 09:35 PM
Five feet to the south, you trigger a dart trap on the ceiling. [roll0] darts shoot out toward you.

Rolls, as necessary:[roll1] for [roll2]
[roll3] for [roll4]
[roll5] for [roll6]
[roll7] for [roll8]

BobElliot
2010-01-02, 09:39 PM
I climb 20 ft up the wall to my west; I then travel 20 ft south on the wall, allowing me to look down the east branch of the hall.

... I was walking an the wall, if it changes anything...
well, 2/4 darts hit my ac, putting me at... dead.

Suggestions so I don't insta-gib next time?

Tanaric
2010-01-02, 09:40 PM
Higher AC, damage reduction, some form of infinite healing. Pick one and I'll go into more detail.

BobElliot
2010-01-02, 09:46 PM
Lets start with how I find traps. Do I need to actively search each time? If yes, will saying "I search for traps. I move 5 ft. I search again." put me as a victim of DM lightning of some sort?

To do another run, I need a fully new character, right?

Are all the ceilings/walls trapped to discourage this kind of attempt?

sigh... I like the sneaky/glass cannon type of guy, but I haven't done a meat head in a while. I'll try to have another character that might last 3 rounds this time, and get some hacking in...

Thank you for your time.

Tanaric
2010-01-02, 09:50 PM
Floor 1 does not penalize for being careful. You may Take 20 on every square if you like. Mind that things like torches, lanterns, and exhaustion are timed.

You can restart with the same character if you like.

I can't really comment on my trapping methods, for obvious reasons. :smallwink:

BobElliot
2010-01-02, 09:52 PM
For simplicity's sake, may I revert my last turn of movement to a crawl to the ceiling, followed by a search? (You roll for that?)

Tanaric
2010-01-02, 09:53 PM
You may. I don't advise actually rolling in this case, though. Search DCs are fairly high, and unlikely to be routinely made without taking 20.

BobElliot
2010-01-02, 09:56 PM
20's take 2 minutes, right?
I take 2 minutes studying the area that I can see, searching for deadly devices that wish to shorten my adventuring lifestyle.
Sorry, couldn't help myself back there. I take a 20 on a search check. while on the ceiling.

Tanaric
2010-01-02, 10:00 PM
Take 20 takes as long as it would take to do something 20 times, which is 2 minutes for a search check, yeah.

Take 20 on a search check applies to one square. Which way are you searching?

BobElliot
2010-01-02, 10:05 PM
I'm not sure I'll be able to get through this hallway within a week...

I search south, where my previous demise happened.
---
I'm done for the night. When I'm on, posts will likely come this fast. If not, it will take 6-24 hours each post.

I'd still like to thank you for your time. It is an immense pleasure to play, even if it involves dieing. Again.

Tanaric
2010-01-03, 04:03 PM
You find the same dart trap in the same place. :smalltongue:

It triggers on adjacent squares, so you speculate that you could bypass it by crawling low enough on the wall, or walking on the floor.

BobElliot
2010-01-03, 09:05 PM
Alright, I crawl to the floor. I then walk 20 ft southward, to the junction.

Tanaric
2010-01-04, 12:35 AM
At the split, the hall goes east for ten feet before turning north. There is a door on the east side of this bend.