View Full Version : Anything wrong with this spell? [3.5]

Zeta Kai
2010-01-02, 08:21 PM
Dispel Magic, Perfect
Abjuration
Level: Sor 8, Wiz 9
Components: V, S, X
Range: Touch

This spell functions like dispel magic (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/dispelMagic.htm), except that the dispel attempt automatically succeeds, with no need for a caster level check.

Additionally, perfect dispel magic has a chance to dispel any effect that remove curse can remove, even if dispel magic can’t dispel that effect.

XP Cost: 1,000XP + 500XP per caster level of the spell dispelled.

Flickerdart
2010-01-02, 08:30 PM
The "has a chance" bit is odd, as you state that the check to dispel always succeeds. It's also strictly better than the Superior Dispel Epic Spell.

Temotei
2010-01-02, 08:32 PM
How high of a chance?

Eurus
2010-01-02, 08:36 PM
The "has a chance" bit is odd, as you state that the check to dispel always succeeds. It's also strictly better than the Superior Dispel Epic Spell.

Not really - Superior Dispelling doesn't require an XP cost (which incidentally is really quite high for this spell, since anything you'd be using it on would have to be something that you couldn't take down with a Greater Dispel). It's also not limited to touch range.

My biggest worry would be that it's strictly worse than Disjunction.

Siosilvar
2010-01-02, 08:36 PM
XP Cost: 1,000XP + 500XP per caster level of the spell dispelled.

So a minimum XP cost of 8500 XP (assuming you're not going to bother with anyone below CL 15)?

I'm not going to be sacrificing half my next level to cast this, tyvm.

Zaydos
2010-01-02, 08:56 PM
So is it a touch ranged area dispel? You're only using it on one target and it says "spell dispelled" and then has an XP cost.

If it is only 1 spell then it's worse than Greater Dispel Magic and Reaving Dispel, and the only time you'd use it is against a CL 21+ spell (as those give you a 50% chance against anything less by CL 20 which isn't too hard to get) and then it costs over 10000 XP.

Even without the XP cost if it dispels one spell it's a weak level 9 spell (the epic spells in the book tended to be weaker than Lv 9s or completely self destructive).

That's just my opinion, but I wouldn't use the spell.

Lysander
2010-01-02, 09:22 PM
Maybe you could lower the xp cost a bit if instead of granting auto-success the spell worked liked Greater Dispel Magic except you take 20 on your check.

erikun
2010-01-02, 09:35 PM
How do you know what you're dispelling? Dispel Magic is either an area dispel, only hitting the highest level spell effect on each target, or a targetted dispel, hitting every active magical effect on the target. I assume that with a range of Touch that it only affects one target, but does it hit everything on the target?

When/How is the XP cost calculated? Is it the total of all the effects currently active? Do you just choose a single effect? Can you choose one single effect, like "Dispel Lesser Glove of Invulnerability" and leave the higher level spell effects alone?

The biggest problem is what it actually affects/dispels, as it's not clear if it affects everything (like Dispel Magic) or just a single spell effect (and the XP cost would imply). The second is if the spell would actually be worth casting, and the third is the XP cost. I mean, for that much, I might as well just Disjunct someone - I'll need to get back either the XP or gold either way.

Milskidasith
2010-01-02, 10:15 PM
How do you know what you're dispelling? Dispel Magic is either an area dispel, only hitting the highest level spell effect on each target, or a targetted dispel, hitting every active magical effect on the target. I assume that with a range of Touch that it only affects one target, but does it hit everything on the target?

When/How is the XP cost calculated? Is it the total of all the effects currently active? Do you just choose a single effect? Can you choose one single effect, like "Dispel Lesser Glove of Invulnerability" and leave the higher level spell effects alone?

The biggest problem is what it actually affects/dispels, as it's not clear if it affects everything (like Dispel Magic) or just a single spell effect (and the XP cost would imply). The second is if the spell would actually be worth casting, and the third is the XP cost. I mean, for that much, I might as well just Disjunct someone - I'll need to get back either the XP or gold either way.

I don't disagree with your post, but... lesser glove of invulnerability? That's a funny image, right there. Just one glove, too...

DaTedinator
2010-01-02, 10:19 PM
The level splitting is odd. Not necessarily bad, but it'd be interesting to hear your reasoning.

Also, what about a dispel with no caster level limit (or just a high one), that allows you to spend XP if you fail to make it succeed? The amount of XP spent would vary depending on how big the difference is. I could see a player taking that over Disjunction.

deuxhero
2010-01-02, 10:37 PM
Hmm... to destroy loot or to destroy your character level. Neither strikes me as pleasant.

Siosilvar
2010-01-02, 10:53 PM
Hmm... to destroy loot or to destroy your character level. Neither strikes me as pleasant.

There's loot destroying going on? :smallconfused:

Milskidasith
2010-01-02, 11:05 PM
There's loot destroying going on? :smallconfused:

Either casting this, or casting disjunction (hint: Disjunctions less self destructive).

DracoDei
2010-01-02, 11:35 PM
I would lower the XP cost I think... but this is nicely temporary on magic items so... maybe am to make it the XPs it would cost to make the items surpressed on an average LA +0, class-leveled NPC opponent?

Also, if you ONLY dispel magic items with a use of this and NO active spells, does it only cost 1000 XPs currently?

GoC
2010-01-03, 04:36 PM
In a word: NO. Dispelling uber-epic and deity spells is a big no-no (which due to it's ridiculous cost is the only thing this will ever be used for).

Try lowering the xp cost by a factor of 10 and using Lysander's suggestion.