PDA

View Full Version : Neverending Dungeon - Tiubie

Tanaric
2010-01-02, 08:24 PM
The air surrounding you fairly hums with the residue of magic, an aftereffect of the spell that brought you to this place. A quick glance reveals that you are in a small room, devoid of any life save for yourself. The sound of dripping water can be heard faintly, and the stone walls are slick with moisture. In complete defiance of logic, a torch is already lit, resting in a sconce near the room's single door.
Map:{table]|A_|B_|C_
1|||
2||T|
3|||
4|||[/table]

There is a door at C-4, south side.

DM notes:Sheet. (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=176314)

Chemus
2010-01-03, 04:45 AM
Tiubie checks on the status of her elemental companion, then speaks to it in Terran. "Ok, thanks awfully for coming here today. So, first, I think that we should do a group outing. So I'd like you, alone, to go under the floor here and see if there's anything there that might go off, or be a trap of some sort. So, earth glide down until you're about 1 foot under the surface, then feel upwards toward the surface of the floor. I figure that you can cover the entire floor and the walls of this room in about 4-5 rounds. I'll wait here."

(PS Sorry for the delay after being so insistent about a game. I worked today and actually a scheduled tabletop game tonight...thanks for taking me on Sliver :smallsmile:)

Sliver
2010-01-03, 04:47 AM
No problem.

The room is clean.

Chemus
2010-01-03, 04:58 AM
Ok, Rocky, thanks for doing that. Now I have a standard operating procedure that I'd like you to follow. I'm going to head out the door. I want you to check the floor and walls near me for traps as I had you check the room we were just in. If you can, even secret check the walls and floor for secret doors. If you find something, come back and tell me. I'll move after you come back to report. Do not end your movement above ground at any time unless you're where I was when you left, and are reporting to me. Take about 3-5 rounds at a time, and we'll play by ear from there. Thanks again Rocky"

(Since the elemental has an Int of 4, I assume that I'll have to be directing it closely like that. Also, since I've never seen a ruling on it, that I cannot be taken with the elemental for any distance or duration of an earth glide. Although there is that Eberron ball-thingy, from MoE, that glides carrying passengers...)

Sliver
2010-01-03, 05:03 AM
Alright.. What kind of traps could the elemental detect, at what distance ahead of you it will check before returning and to what hight he will check the walls?

Chemus
2010-01-03, 05:15 AM
I'd like him to be between 15' and 20' ahead, please. I figure that our total movement rate will be 5-10' per round at best. (Aside: Since I didn't take the spellgifted trait, my mage armor is not cast yet; lasting only one hour.)

I presume that it could easily find any pit traps by finding the open spaces with its darkvision as they appear. Also any trap incorporating metal components, like levers, springs, arrowheads, etc., since it can't glide through metal. Traps with openings into a tunnel or room area would also be subject to its darkvision, since it would see the open spaces. Stone only traps may be tricky...I don't know how in-depth your trap details go, and it would obviously be unfair for you to just tell me :smallwink:.

As to how far up the walls, it depends on the assumed thickness if the walls. if the walls are up to 2.5' thick, Rocky should fit entirely within and he's 'stealthed' enough there and I'd like him to swim all the way up, and ceilings too if there's enough material. Otherwise, just as high as he can reach.

Also, I have one more instruction for the elemental: Rocky, do not poke more than your head above the floor, so that you can just see what is in an area. I want you to not engage any creatures; look and leave. Just tell me where they are, and whether you think that they saw you, and we'll get them together. Ok?"

Sliver
2010-01-03, 05:21 AM
Alright, so I'm just going to tell you when there is something to report. I'll assume the walls are thick enough at least until Tanaric will inform otherwise. o just say where are you going and if there is a trap that can be detected you will be informed. Room information will be when you will request it when you are near a door.

You have darkvision up to 60ft right?

You may continue..

Chemus
2010-01-03, 05:26 AM
OK. So Tiubie cringes, then opens the door to the room she is in, and heads out into the hallway after rocky.

(Yes Tiubie's darkvision is 60'. Are earth elementals presumed to have darkvision in the earth as well? I mean that though they can't through the boundary, can they see within the boundary? I'v eseen one description that says yes, but can't recall where. I'm presuming by my instructions that the answer for this is 'no', BTW.)

Sliver
2010-01-03, 05:30 AM
They don't have tremorsense or x-ray vision, so no..

The hall goes east and south. To the east it goes beyond sight. 10ft into the hall it splits north and south. 30ft into the hall there is a door on the northern side. 60ft into the hall, at the edge of your vision, the hall splits north and south.

To the south it goes for 30ft ending with a T intersection going east and west. 20ft into the hall there is a split east.

You are informed that 20ft east from you (10ft after the + intersection) there is a pit. Also, just south of the same intersection.

Chemus
2010-01-03, 05:41 AM
Tiubie moves to the intersection to the east. "Thank you Rocky, that's very helpful. It seems that there is a room beyond this wall (pats the corner NE of the intersection she's now in, then points to the north corridor), could you check this hallway, then from the floor in what should be the NW corner of that room, carefully check to see if it's occupied, and return to describe any occupants to me?"

Sliver
2010-01-03, 05:45 AM
There is no room directly at the intersection's corner, but as you asked for it to scan 20ft ahead, it reports.. Ugly, blue and scaly. Has fire.

Chemus
2010-01-03, 05:52 AM
(That split to the east, is it a 'T' or is it just a 4-way junction?) OK, Tiubie, presuming that there are no traps in the northern corridor, heads north, Rocky checking for traps.

Sliver
2010-01-03, 05:57 AM
4 way.

The hall goes east 10ft and turns north, then 10ft north and ending with a T intersection. It goes west 30ft before splitting north. 20ft into the hall it splits north. To the east it goes 50ft before turning south. 20ft into the hall it splits north, another 10ft in there is a door to the south, and at the end of the hall there is a door to the north.

Chemus
2010-01-03, 06:06 AM
So, from the corridor north of the intersection with the traps to the south and east, the hall continues how far north before splitting 10' east?

Sliver
2010-01-03, 06:12 AM
http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab192/msliver/Chemus.jpg

Here you go..

Chemus
2010-01-03, 06:20 AM
Wow. Thanks very much. I was close with my mapping, but only close.

OK. heading up the north corridor until the 'T' intersection, I then ask Rocky to go through the floor and check the dimensions of the room beyond the south door in the east corridor.

Sliver
2010-01-03, 06:24 AM
The doors you are aware of are at the edges of the room. The enemy is probably alerted by now..

Chemus
2010-01-03, 06:42 AM
I understand. "Rocky, go under the floor into the room, but don't come up until 1 minute has passed, or you hear me stomp three times on the floor, like this." (*stomps*) When you hear that, come up in the square next to the sound, and if there's a live creature there besides me, attack it."

Tiubie then waits at the 'T' intersection and listens [roll0] for the south door to the room opening, and watches for he north door to open for 2 rounds. If she hears nothing, she readies a fell-draining (1 neg. level applied to target of damaging spell) Acid Splash to attack the blue guy if he's in the room when she arrives, then uses her swift action to abrupt jaunt into the NW corner of the room, and hopefully takes him out. (ranged touch attack roll if he's there [roll1])

here goes nothing...

Sliver
2010-01-03, 06:44 AM

It goes down.

150xp, chainmail..

Chemus
2010-01-03, 06:46 AM
Crap. Forgot the Cloudy Conjuration and the damage roll [roll0].
Cloudy conjuration is at target of spell, so 5' radius of blue-dude's SE corner. Sickened for 1 round, and concealment, both ways, IIRC.

Chemus
2010-01-03, 06:47 AM
Tiubie stomps on the floor three times, after the cloud goes away, and waits for Rocky.

Sliver
2010-01-03, 06:49 AM
Just so you know, that one you just slaughtered, he was killed 5 seconds after you killed it in another game, and he didn't get to act there too!

Chemus
2010-01-03, 06:55 AM
He's killered me once before. I thought I had a good sneaky dude, but that BW sucks hard. So, I made a scry-and-die type first level prick to take him out. Now, I just have to survive the rest of the dungeon, but it's 4am here, and I have to be to work at 10am. So thanks so far :smallsmile:, and I hope that I don't die too soon.

On an unrelated note, I cut off his head trying to prevent its rising as a wight. I adjust the armor so that if it does rise as a wight tomorrow night, and I'm here for it, perhaps it can't move...(can't waste my rope yet...)

Tanaric
2010-01-03, 03:52 PM
Whoa.

Whoa whoa whoa.

Readied actions do not work that way.

If you take any action after readying, you lose the readied action.

Initiative should have been rolled after teleporting in.

Too late now, but now you know.

Sliver
2010-01-03, 03:55 PM
I treated it as a surprise round..

Tanaric
2010-01-03, 03:57 PM
*shrug* That works.

But readied actions still don't work that way, for future reference. :smallwink:

Chemus
2010-01-04, 08:42 PM
Hmm. I figured that since an immediate action interrupts an enemy action without disrupting it, one could be used the same way on my own turn.

Anyway, if Rocky comes back up at the stomping, Tiubie asks him to check the room and its walls. If he finds nothing, Tiubie then heads out the South door, with rocky checking ahead going east.

Sliver
2010-01-05, 02:07 AM
The hall goes east for 30ft before splitting.

To the north it goes 10ft before turning east.

To the east it goes 20ft before turning south. There is a door on the eastern side.

To the south it goes 10ft before turning west. 5ft into the hall there is a large blue note hanging from the wall. 5ft into the western turn there is a door on the southern side.

Chemus
2010-01-06, 01:59 AM
"Rocky, go get that gray paper on the wall over there. Once I have my eyes closed, bring it here, and touch it to my hand." Tiubie then closes her eyes, and hopes against hope that the paper isn't poisoned.

If she must make a Fortitude save on contact with the note, her total roll is [roll0].

Once she has the gray paper, she keeps her eyes closed, and rolls it up, tying it with...hmmm. I was sure I'd bought string. Well she ties it to one of her sashes, then goes south, Rocky checking the surroundings again for stuff in the walls/floor/etc., as before. Then she goes west...

Sliver
2010-01-06, 09:41 AM
*Card acquired*

The hall goes west for 20ft before turning south. 5ft into the hall there is that door. The hall goes south for 20ft before turning west. 10ft into the hall there is a door on the western side. You see right after the turn west the edge of a bullseye on the floor.

Chemus
2010-01-06, 02:27 PM
Tiubie stops and backtracks until she's 30' from the edge of the bullseye. "Too bad I've memorized neither amanuensis nor detect magic," she mutters to herself.

She backtracks all the way to the pit trap 20' east of room 12 (on the map).

Now she hooks the grapple from her rope and grapple onto the doorframe 10' from the pit, and triggers the trap with her feet while holding onto the knotted rope. If she needs a saving throw of some sort, then here's a reflex save for [roll0]. She takes 10 for a check result of 9 vs. DC 0 for knotted rope against a wall (modified however you say) to climb 15' down into the pit, and drops. Then she has Rocky unhook the grapple and she pulls it down. She then has Rocky go to the the west side of the pit, tosses him the hook to plant and climbs out.

Then she goes west to room 12's south door, goes south then east., and has Rocky check the contents of the room beyond the door while attempting to not reveal himself.

Sliver
2010-01-06, 02:30 PM
Ugh.. What is the problem with a DC5 jump check with running start?

Some man and a catlike beast with him..

Tanaric
2010-01-06, 02:32 PM
No ranks in jump and a negative strength mod? :smalltongue:

Chemus
2010-01-06, 04:06 PM
(Tanaric has the right of it.)

"Rocky, how big was the cat-thing?"

Tiubie casts mage armor. Her AC is now 15.

If the cat-thing was small, Tiubie then instructs Rocky to earth-glide in, charging, power attacking for 1 (max for BAB), to attack the cat-thing. AC hit is [roll0], damage [roll1] (unless a single slam, being 1.5 times str bonus damage is considered a two-handed weapon, in which case it's +6, rocky's AC is 15). She will cast a cloudy conjuration fell-draining acid splash at the man. AC [roll2], touch for [roll3] acid damage, and one negative level. She attempts to places the center of the cloud's 5' radius at the far corner of the man's square, closest to the cat-thing.

If it was medium or larger, Tiubie has Rocky do the same as above, but in one round. She begins summoning an augmented wolf, spontaneously replacing wall of smoke with summon nature's ally I (http://dndsrd.net/spellsS.html#summon-natures-ally-i) and opens the door as her move action on the round following her summoning, allowing the wolf to move and attack the nearest enemy inside the room, hitting AC [roll4] for [roll5], and the trip attempt is [roll6]. Tiubie will cast a cloudy conjuration fell-draining acid splash at the man as her standard action. AC [roll7], touch for [roll8] acid damage, and one negative level. She attempts to places the center of the cloud's 5' radius at the far corner of the man's square, closest to the cat-thing.

In either case Tiubie's initiative roll is [roll9], and Rocky's is [roll10]

Sliver
2010-01-07, 12:44 AM
Opening the door reveals the following room:
{table]|A_|B_|C_|D_|E_
1|||||
2|||||
3|||||
4||||B|H[/table]
There is a door at A-2, which you are just outside of, another at E-4, south side and another at E-3. There is a human wearing a chain shirt and holding a longsword standing behind a beast with patchy dark fur that covers its unhealthy shrunken black skin in some places. Open sores dot its hide and a feral, catlike head glances with it's blank eyes at the wall in front of it.
Initiative:[roll0]

If he wins initiative:
He moves forward, casting a spell. A wave of color washes over you. Roll will

Otherwise:
He falls down, and the beast vanishes right away. 150xp, chain shirt, longsword.

Chemus
2010-01-07, 12:53 AM
Tiubie attempts a Spellcraft check on the disappearing mangy undead-looking cat thingy: DC [roll0]

"I think I'm gonna regret using the summon...", Tiubie mutters.

Tiubie sighs and rubs her hands together. "OK Rocky, let's have you check this room out...", she says.

Sliver
2010-01-07, 12:54 AM
It was just a dream illusion.

Nothing.

Chemus
2010-01-07, 01:04 AM
(That's sneaky battle sorcerer using silent image to make the inevitable adventurer waste actions! Good idea for a dungeon crawl!)

Tiubie has Rocky put the chain shirt and sword in his sack, and opens the far door. "Check up to just before the bullseye, and then come back, Rocky."

(I just remembered, is there XP for encountering/triggering/surmounting traps?)

Sliver
2010-01-07, 01:08 AM
(No)

Everything is clear. Also, please use directions (east, south door) and not stuff like far door..

Chemus
2010-01-07, 01:26 AM
(No problem; I'll do that.)

OK. Tiubie heads out the West door, south, west, and south again. If Rocky finds no traps or openings, she heads west again, continuing on until something interesting crops up. If a decision on turning comes up, Left first.

Sliver
2010-01-07, 01:29 AM
The hall goes east towards the door south of the room you just left and west 10ft before turning south. It goes south 10ft before turning east. Not long into that hall you are informed of a pit trap ahead.

Chemus
2010-01-07, 01:34 AM
(Does Rocky's earth-glide ability allow him to dive/fall into earth/stone like water? Reducing falling damage and such...?)

Tiubie plants the grapple at the corner of the wall and holds onto the knotted rope. She steps onto the pit trap trigger, and climbs down and up, as before, using Rocky to assist the grapple planting.

Then she continues on.

Sliver
2010-01-07, 01:37 AM
30ft beyond the pit there is a door on the northern side.

Chemus
2010-01-07, 01:44 AM
Tiubie has Rocky check the contents. (Does the corridor continue on?)

Sliver
2010-01-07, 01:50 AM
Yes, it continues on.

An ugly orc!

Next time, you might want to roll hide for Rocky if you want him to stay undetected.

Chemus
2010-01-07, 02:02 AM
(Of course. I should be doing so. Sorry I didn't think of it. Here's a Hide roll vs. the orc [roll0]

I get two oil flasks from Rocky's sack, and the flint and tinder. I attempt to prapare and light one. Getting the stuff is 2 move actions, and preparing the bomb is a full-round one. Does the orc come out?

Sliver
2010-01-07, 02:04 AM
No..

Chemus
2010-01-07, 02:39 AM
"Rocky, after I throw this oil at the orc, charge attack it through the wall," Tiubie instructs. Then she opens the door and throws the oil bomb at the orc.

Initiative [roll0] (Tiubie), [roll1] (Rocky, holding if he must).

Oil touch attack [roll2] (-2 if greater than 10' away), on 51+, the oil ignites [roll3]. It deals [roll4] fire damage if it's a hit. If a miss, [roll5] for direction and it continues 10' in that direction.

Chemus
2010-01-07, 02:42 AM
Oops! Forgot Rocky!

Rocky's charge at the orc [roll0] uses power attack for 1. Damage [roll1] (Unless 1.5x damage for a slam means that it's a 2-handed attack...then add 1 more.) Rocky's AC is 15 until his next turn.

Sliver
2010-01-07, 02:54 AM
[roll0]

If he lost initiative:
You hit but the oil fails to ignire. But Rocky kills the orc.
150xp, chainmail, ripper, javelin, 300gp.

If wins:
He charges you:
[roll1]
[roll2]
If you don't instantly die, see first spoiler

Chemus
2010-01-07, 03:10 AM
Tiubie is at -3 HP. Rocky kills the orc without waiting (I hope) and tries to stabilize her 6 times (since the 7th she's already dead, as he can't try this round; he attacked.) [roll0], [roll1], [roll2], [roll3], [roll4], [roll5], and Tiubie has 7 (counting her turn this round) rounds to become stable herself, 91-100 is stable: [roll6], [roll7], [roll8], [roll9], [roll10], [roll11], [roll12].

If she stabilizes, Rocky's tending should keep her from dying until she wakes at 0HP.

I think Rocky would drag her inside the room and close the door, but that's not my decision. If she has hours, each hour's roll is here (91-100, she goes to 0 and is conscious and disabled): 1 [roll13], 2 [roll14], 3 [roll15], 4 [roll16], 5 [roll17], 6 [roll18], 7 [roll19], 8 [roll20]. If that's not enough...I dunno.

Sliver
2010-01-07, 03:18 AM
After all these rolls.. How long it takes you to regain consciousness? :smallredface:

Chemus
2010-01-07, 03:24 AM
Rocky stabilizes her on the first round. If he moves her inside the room and tends her, she doesn't regain consciousness for the first 8 hours. At the end of the 8 hours she would gain 1 HP, and if there are more hours before something dramatic happens, then here are the remaining 16 rolls before she gains 1 more HP for the day and night of 'resting': [roll0] [roll1] [roll2] [roll3] [roll4] [roll5] [roll6] [roll7] [roll8] [roll9] [roll10] [roll11] [roll12] [roll13] [roll14] [roll15]. I have no idea if she actually has these hours. I neglected to get even one potion of healing...

Sliver
2010-01-07, 03:27 AM
There is a high chance of a random encounter in those 8 hours..

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]

Chemus
2010-01-07, 03:27 AM
on the 10th hour, she would become disabled at 0 HP and could then heal herself with a Vigor spell, go to -1 and have fast healing 1 for 11 rds. If there are no interruptions, that should be the course of events...

Sliver
2010-01-07, 03:30 AM
Alright... after 3 hours there is a random encounter.. If you survive 7 more hours, you get to live..

It's a battle between Rocky and a lizardfolk!

Initiative: [roll0]

Chemus
2010-01-07, 03:30 AM
Is it presumed that since Tiubie is alive that Rocky defends her?

Chemus
2010-01-07, 03:33 AM
Rocky's initiative: [roll0]

If he wins, he charges that big lizardfolk, hitting AC [roll1] for [roll2] damage. If he can't charge, those rolls are at 1 less each.

Sliver
2010-01-07, 03:37 AM
The lizardfolk charges, striking with a club:

[roll0]
[roll1]

If Rocky survives, his attack hits and the lizardfolk retaliates:

Club:
[roll2]
[roll3]

Bite:
[roll4]
[roll5]

Chemus
2010-01-07, 03:40 AM
Rocky is hurt, but lives on. He swings at the lizardfolk, hitting AC [roll0] for [roll1] damage. He then glides 5' into the floor.

Sliver
2010-01-07, 03:42 AM
That drops the lizardfolk.

The next random encounter... Lets check..

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]

Sliver
2010-01-07, 03:44 AM
After another 3 hours, a half giant appears!

Initiative [roll0]

Chemus
2010-01-07, 03:48 AM
(I keep forgetting earth mastery!)

Initiative [roll0]

On Win: Charge for [roll1] to hit, [roll2] damage.

On loss, if up: Attack as above, but for one less each to-hit and damage, and glide 5' down.

Sliver
2010-01-07, 03:50 AM
He charges:
[roll0]
[roll1]

If Rocky survives, giant is down.

I believe Rocky is defeated? CDG, GG.

Chemus
2010-01-07, 03:52 AM
Nope. That's it. You got me. :)

*Sigh* rocky is at -7...toast.