PDA

View Full Version : Computer help needed

CoffeeIncluded
2010-01-02, 08:41 PM
Okay, so I have an HP Pavilion laptop with Vista running on it (Unfortunately). I've had it for about 9 months.

Yesterday the sound system started breaking on me. On the top of the keyboard you toggle the volume and stuff not with a dial, but by touching the screen.

But starting yesterday it doesn't respond when I touch it, and in fact the sound toggles up and down randomly. I tried cleaning it off but it didn't work.

Could anybody please help me with this?

lesser_minion
2010-01-02, 09:28 PM
I'm not sure how much I can really help you myself, but I've posted your question to the Computer Help Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135059&page=2).

Hopefully somebody there will be a bit more knowledgeable.

I'm not really a hardware person.

BisectedBrioche
2010-01-02, 09:40 PM
I'd contact the manufacturer for tech support, or just take the keyboard back if it's faulty.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-01-02, 09:50 PM
I'd contact the manufacturer for tech support, or just take the keyboard back if it's faulty.

It's a laptop. That wouldn't work.

Jack Squat
2010-01-02, 11:04 PM
Try wiping it with a rag that has a bit of 91% rubbing alcohol on it. If that doesn't work, I'd check drivers for it (not sure which ones would control it, hopefully someone else could come in with that). And if that doesn't work, I'd suggest taking it to Geek Squad or a computer repair store. You could buy the part online and replace it yourself, but I'm not sure how complicated doing so could get/seem.

bluewind95
2010-01-02, 11:20 PM
I'm not much of a hardware person either, but the erratic behaviour sounds like something might be broken in the sensor. I think you'd definitely need to take it to a repair shop.

Lupy
2010-01-03, 01:17 PM
Call the store where you bought it, if they can't help you, call HP. If it's only been 9 months you should be in the clear.