PDA

View Full Version : So I Just Bought A 360...

Deth Muncher
2010-01-02, 10:37 PM
...and have no games. D:

Here's the thing. I'm not a big FPS fan. "Why'd you buy a 360 then, you fool? You foolish fool?!" I'm trying to figure out just what games DON'T involve shooting from 1st person perspective, and that aren't music sims.

Actually, here's a list of criteria. And any personal experience with a game that you want to add would just be super.

-Can be 360 exclusive, or PS3/360 exclusive.
-Not a movie game.
-Not an FPS (but other first person games, like Bioshock, are okay) [EDIT: Or am I confused about how shooty Bioshock is?]
-Not a music sim (DDR, Rockband, etc)
-EDIT: Not a sports game.

Halp?

potatocubed
2010-01-02, 10:41 PM
My favourite game on the 360 is Lost Odyssey - a JRPG with sort of turn-based combat. If you like JRPGs, pick it up.

Deth Muncher
2010-01-02, 10:43 PM
My favourite game on the 360 is Lost Odyssey - a JRPG with sort of turn-based combat. If you like JRPGs, pick it up.

I do love me some JRPG.

Oooh, if I can find it, I want Dynasty Warriors: Gundam.

13_CBS
2010-01-02, 10:45 PM
Assassin's Creed 2? I've heard lots of good things about it.

Inhuman Bot
2010-01-02, 11:08 PM
-Not an FPS (but other first person games, like Bioshock, are okay) [EDIT: Or am I confused about how shooty Bioshock is?]

I was in a fairly similiar boat when I helped buy a 360, actually.

I'm mostly going to name names as opposed to describe games, but here's a few I liked.

I'd consider Fallout 3 then. I'd say it's less shooty then Bioshock, unless you get one of the two crappy DLCs. (As opposed to Point Lookout or Broken Steel)

Then there's Mirror's Edge. It's not for everyone, but you can pick it up for less then 10$ in most places. It's a first-person platformer, and may be worth looking into.

Then, there's Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. It's available off of the arcade, if you have access to that, and was the start of a new era in Castlevania, the metroidvania. If you like platforming and exploration, it's probably worth trying. It's on the easy side, though. Seriously. If you get the poision cloud relic, you can kill most bosses before the boss music starts. It's fairly far into the game, though, and hard to get.

Anyways, there's also Prototype. If you don't object to obscene amounts of gore, I'd describe it as a hack'n'slash, with lots of gratification for those with power fantasies.

If you're a JRPG, Eternal Sonata is one of the few JRPGs that I don't hate with a burning passion.

Dragon Age: Origins and Mass Effect are both (apparently) great WRPGs, though I haven't played much of either. Bioware made them, though.

Braid is also a good platformer on the arcade. I didn't have loads of trouble once I worked out the gimmick of a level, though there are some annoying and frusterating parts to it.

If you liked Golden Axe, then there's Castle Crashers. It's a straightforward hack'n'slash that M you can play with a few friends.ore players make it far better then going at it solo.

Alien Hominid HD is like Contra, if you've ever played that. Obscenely difficult, and rewarding when you triumph.

Zevox
2010-01-02, 11:10 PM
I actually only recently got a 360 myself (back in late October I believe it was), and I too am not a shooter fan. Being mainly an RPG fan, most of the games I have for it are of that genre, so I can mostly tell you about those. The games I have are:

Mass Effect: A sci-fi RPG from Bioware. The gameplay is rather shootery, albeit third-person rather than first, but there's enough that even an RPG fan who doesn't generally like shooters can enjoy it. Not one of my favorite Bioware games, in no small part because of the shootery gameplay, but a good one overall. And its sequel, Mass Effect 2, comes out later this month.
Dragon Age: Origins: A fantasy RPG from Bioware. Just plain excellent, my favorite Bioware game. I'm told it is better on the PC, though, so if your computer can handle it (mine can't, but it tends to have problems with anything newer than Neverwinter Nights 2), you may rather get it for that.
Tales of Vesperia: A fantasy JRPG I got for Christmas and haven't finished yet. Definitely a great game though - on the whole I may even like it more than the game that got me interested in the series, Tales of Symphonia, and I had a lot of praise for that game. If you're not familiar with the series, it may be worth noting that its gameplay is of the action variety, not turn based like most JRPGs, depending on your opinion of those gameplay styles (I like both, with a slight preference for turn-based).
Soul Calibur 4: A fighting game. Pretty good, though I don't really have much to say about it since I'm not a big fan of the genre. Story mode is very lacking, but there is another good single-player mode, plus the usual "arcade" mode you expect from fighting games, and I liked the little oneline multiplayer I got in before the 1-month trial of the gold subscription expired. Perhaps the highlight of the game is the character editor/creator, though, which is very good.
Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe: Exactly what it says on the tin - Mortal Kombat plus DC superheroes/villains (Superman, Batman, Lex Luthor, the Joker; all the big ones). Pretty much what you'd expect given that. Story mode was okay, but short. Online multiplayer was also fun while it lasted.
Too Human: A western action-RPG. Mediocre - I'd recommend renting it rather than buying it, perhaps not even that. I'd say I regret getting it if it weren't for the fact that I got it on a buy-two-get-one-free deal on used games (along with the above two fighting games), so what I effectively paid for it (something around $17) wasn't anywhere near full price, so it wasn't a bad buy given that. Its unique reinvention of Norse myth is at least moderately interesting. Haven't finished it though, I set it aside when I got Christmas gifts I was more interested in trying.

I also got Fallout 3 for Christmas, a FPS/RPG, but I haven't tried it yet.

Beyond that, I'd recommend trying the free downloadable demos that many games put up on X-Box Live. You don't need a gold subscription (the pay-to-use version) to download them, and they can really help you determine what games you might be interested in. For instance, a free demo convinced me to buy Batman: Arkham Asylum, something I intend to do once the games I received for Christmas have been played through (and I go back and finish up Too Human... probably). Other games whose demos impressed me enough that intend to buy them include Brutal Legend, Blue Dragon, and Eternal Sonata (the former being a humorous action game, the latter two being JRPGs).

Zevox

Deth Muncher
2010-01-02, 11:18 PM
I was in a fairly similiar boat when I helped buy a 360, actually.

I'm mostly going to name names as opposed to describe games, but here's a few I liked.

I'd consider Fallout 3 then. I'd say it's less shooty then Bioshock, unless you get one of the two crappy DLCs. (As opposed to Point Lookout or Broken Steel)

Then there's Mirror's Edge. It's not for everyone, but you can pick it up for less then 10$ in most places. It's a first-person platformer, and may be worth looking into.

Then, there's Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. It's available off of the arcade, if you have access to that, and was the start of a new era in Castlevania, the metroidvania. If you like platforming and exploration, it's probably worth trying. It's on the easy side, though. Seriously. If you get the poision cloud relic, you can kill most bosses before the boss music starts. It's fairly far into the game, though, and hard to get.

Anyways, there's also Prototype. If you don't object to obscene amounts of gore, I'd describe it as a hack'n'slash, with lots of gratification for those with power fantasies.

If you're a JRPG, Eternal Sonata is one of the few JRPGs that I don't hate with a burning passion.

Dragon Age: Origins and Mass Effect are both (apparently) great WRPGs, though I haven't played much of either. Bioware made them, though.

Braid is also a good platformer on the arcade. I didn't have loads of trouble once I worked out the gimmick of a level, though there are some annoying and frusterating parts to it.

If you liked Golden Axe, then there's Castle Crashers. It's a straightforward hack'n'slash that M you can play with a few friends.ore players make it far better then going at it solo.

Alien Hominid HD is like Contra, if you've ever played that. Obscenely difficult, and rewarding when you triumph.

You mean the PS1 game? You mean the game I wasted the afterschool time all of my 4th/5thish grade afterschool time? You mean that game that you can't find, ANYWHERE? THAT'S on Arcade?!

Setra
2010-01-02, 11:41 PM
I would second this. Lost Odyssey is my favorite game on the 360 so far.

Also if you like jrpgs there's Blue Dragon (Made by the same company as Lost Odyssey, it's okay but definitely not as good in my opinion) and Eternal Sonata (Which has fun gameplay). Also there's Star Ocean 4, which is fun..

As far as other RPGs there's Dragon Age, which I haven't played but all of my friends like it.. Fable II which I have played, and if you liked Fable I am pretty sure you'll like Fable II.

Castle Crashers is a sort of beat em up multiplayer game, it's pretty fun... also cheap.

Inhuman Bot
2010-01-02, 11:57 PM
You mean the PS1 game? You mean the game I wasted the afterschool time all of my 4th/5thish grade afterschool time? You mean that game that you can't find, ANYWHERE? THAT'S on Arcade?!

That's the one indeed. It's about 10$.

Beleriphon
2010-01-03, 12:37 AM

Bioshock is a shooter, its and FPS straight up. That said its an FPS with an incredible story.

T.G. Oskar
2010-01-03, 01:33 AM

Yes. THAT ONE. I know, because I bought the full version! (And in about two days of play or so, already into Inverted Castle...

It's actually 800 MS, which is something along the lines of $16. Much cheaper than that when it originally came, that's for sure. And it's a tad better than the original because it has NO LOAD TIMES. Though, it's the PS1 version, not the Saturn one.

I'd be happy if they brought Dragon Force (the Saturn game that's something along the lines of Shining Force) to the Arcade. I'd also enjoy myself some S-E games, but sadly they're mostly Wii or PS3 exclusive T.T

I'd...timidly suggest Operation Darkness, but that's depending on whether you can enjoy a Nintendo Hard turn-based tactical RPG with some glaring flaws. I love it, even though it took me more than 3 days to finish ONE MISSION.

Then again, I finally did it with custom soundtracks. Which makes this full circle: female vampire, aptly named Carmilla. Faced her while listening to Bloody Tears from Castlevania: Judgment; pretty much epic. Before that, two instances of Final Fantasy Tactics music, as well.

Zevox
2010-01-03, 01:37 AM
It's actually 800 MS, which is something along the lines of $16.
Actually, if I remember the math I did when looking at the conversion rates supplied on XBL right, MS points are valued at $1.50 per 100 points, so that'd be $12, not $16.

Zevox

Vespe Ratavo
2010-01-03, 03:45 AM
Retail games:

Batman: Arkham Asylum: Even if you're not that much of a Batman fan, Arkham Asylum is an excellent action-adventure-stealth-detective-type game. And if you are a Batman fan, it's a no-brainer.
Dead Rising: Zombie-smashing fun. It's a little bit old, but on the plus side, that means it's cheap.
Brutal Legend: If you like heavy metal, you should get this game. If you don't, you should still consider it. It kind of reminds me of Zelda, only if you took away Link's ocarina, gave him a guitar that melted people's faces off and a hot rod with machine guns on it, then made him lead an army RTS-style. So it's not like Zelda at all, really.
Crackdown: (In)famous for having the Halo 3 beta on it, but a great game in its own right. Sort of like Grand Theft Auto, only you're a super-powered cop who can jump tall buildings in a single bound and throw cars at people. Ridiculously fun in co-op. Halo addicts traded it in en masse after the beta ended, so it's not that expensive either.
Civilization Revolution: Admittedly, I've only played this game a little, but it's basically a streamlined version of Civilization. Pretty fun, although if you have a PC version already it might be somewhat redundant.
Assassin's Creed 1 and 2: I've only played the first, but it's very fun, if a bit repetitive. Still, hopping around on ancient rooftops and stabbing Templars never gets old. The second, I've heard, is even better.

Arcade/downloadable games:

Psychonauts: From Tim Schafer, the same guy who made Brutal Legend. One of my favorite games of all time. The gameplay is your basic run-jump-platformer, but the story, setting, stages, design, voice acting, etc. are all absolutely amazing.
I MAED A GAM3 W1TH Z0MB1ES 1N IT!!!1 An up to four player twin-stick shooter with lots of zombies and other things to shoot. It's only a dollar. Get it, if for no other reason than to see your friends snicker when they hear the theme song.

Driderman
2010-01-03, 06:14 AM
Seeing as Brutal Legend and Assasins Creed 2 have already been suggested, I'm going to throw in GTA4 and the "expansions", Lost & The Damned and The Ballad Of Gay Tony.

mr.fizzypop
2010-01-03, 07:07 PM
Fallout 3, Mass Effect, and Assasins Creed 2 are all great games.

There's also Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, which as far as I can see hasn't been mentioned yet. Its a fantasy rpg in first person. Its a little old, but its still an amazing game.

Falgorn
2010-01-03, 07:13 PM
Fallout 3, Mass Effect, and Assasins Creed 2 are all great games.

There's also Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, which as far as I can see hasn't been mentioned yet. Its a fantasy rpg in first person. Its a little old, but its still an amazing game.

Seconded.

Also, I found Gears of War 2 pretty fun. Until I sold it.
Um...I like Shooter games, so I don't know what else to recommend.

MrPig
2010-01-03, 09:33 PM

Err, it's been on the PSP for about 2 years now.

Dead Space is a 3rd person horror/shooter. Very System Shock 2ish (read: basically a reskinned System Shock 2, but not as crappy as Bioshock).

Cybren
2010-01-03, 09:35 PM
Lost Odyssey was terrible. Do not get it.
Dragon Age is a PC game. It will play a lot better if you can get it on PC.

Dhavaer
2010-01-04, 03:14 AM
I agree with Cybren about Lost Odyssey. It's dull, frustrating and far too fond of cutscenes. The graphics are very pretty, though.

Setra
2010-01-04, 03:22 AM
I agree with Cybren about Lost Odyssey. It's dull, frustrating and far too fond of cutscenes. The graphics are very pretty, though.
While I admit it is frustrating at times (Two specific times anyways), I didn't really find it dull. The story was great, the characters were interesting, the music was great, the gameplay was.. a bit standard, I admit, but it doesn't need to be groundbreaking to be good.

As for the cutscene fondness... well you obviously dislike that, but I found it preferable.

If the OP likes jrpgs, he will very likely enjoy Lost Odyssey.