PDA

View Full Version : 4e Favorite Hybrid

Evard
2010-01-02, 11:29 PM
At first I hated the hybrid, I thought it was to restricted.. Until I made a hybrid Warlord/Sorcerer to make a Red Mage. I wont bog you all down with the details but with the close blasts and the healing from the warlord it makes a great mix of arcane powers, martial proficiency, and healing.

So everyone what are your favorite hybrids? Do you make them from a concept or just whatever works best.

Shardan
2010-01-03, 02:03 AM
I've not played with hybrid much. i have learned it is a little weakened from being unfocused... but the flexibility can make up for that.

Decoy Lockbox
2010-01-03, 04:43 AM
Paladin/str-based sorceror gets good mark damage (with the mighty challenge feat), all armor and sheild profics with a single feat (paladin armor), plenty of close blasts for an frontline build, and does good damage due to the strength+charisma sorceror bonus. Probably not all that optimal, but the mental image of a holy sorceror in full plate dishing out flame blasts is pretty cool.

wizard/invoker has alot of stat synergy, and the flavor is quite cool.

We had someone play a ranger/dex-based sorceror which was pretty effective. If there was one person that needed shooting, they went into ranger mode, when they needed aoe, they busted out the sorceror spells. It was like machine gun/rocket launcher modes.

barbarian/paladin can do some fun stuff as well, each class gets a number of encounter-long self buffs (bless weapon, wrath of the gods, heart strike, etc) that, when stacked, are pretty crazy. Also benefits from cha/str build synergy like the paladin/sorceror.

Blas_de_Lezo
2010-01-03, 04:57 AM
Fighter/Rogue. It's made of win.

Chose Hybrid Talent feat, the tempest technique, and the Bladestorm Duelist PP. You'll have the coolest swashbuckler around!

BTW, who can tell me if you can take Hybrid talent more than once?

Haven
2010-01-03, 05:39 AM
Paladin/str-based sorceror gets good mark damage (with the mighty challenge feat), all armor and sheild profics with a single feat (paladin armor), plenty of close blasts for an frontline build, and does good damage due to the strength+charisma sorceror bonus. Probably not all that optimal, but the mental image of a holy sorceror in full plate dishing out flame blasts is pretty cool.

Besides this, the other thing that really makes me want to try a 4e Sorcadin is the "damned if you do, damned if you don't" aspect of Burning Spray.

Pramxnim
2010-01-03, 05:53 AM
Fighter/Rogue. It's made of win.

Chose Hybrid Talent feat, the tempest technique, and the Bladestorm Duelist PP. You'll have the coolest swashbuckler around!

BTW, who can tell me if you can take Hybrid talent more than once?

You can never take a feat more than once, unless explicitly stated. Therefore, the only way to get Hybrid Talent more than once is by Paragon Hybriding

Sir Homeslice
2010-01-03, 05:54 AM
@ Blas_de_Lezo: Due to how feats work, you can only take Hybrid Talent once, unless you Paragon Hybrid, in which case you get a second Hybrid Talent for free.

Anyways, I'm currently playing a Longtooth Shifter Fighter|Avenger/Son of Mercy with Avenging Resolution, Marked Scourge, Painful Oath, and a houseruled 2d4 Whip. Against a target he's marked, Oathed, and Lawbreaker's Doomed, he can once per round (with a Cleave), deal 2d4+33 damage, 6 of which is radiant and necrotic, and deal 9 ongoing damage if there are no adjacent enemies to the target. Also, any 1's or 2's rolled are treated as if they were a 3. Additionally, two of my encounter powers are off-turn attacks, one is a free action, and another is a minor action.

Come on. Lacerations. With a whip. Badass. The game also happens to be Castlevania themed.

Blas_de_Lezo
2010-01-03, 06:03 AM
Thanks! Anyway, the Fighter/Rogue hybrid is still awesome. If you pump dex and strenght, there's a great synergy. You would be half defender, half striker, with considerable amount of HP/HS, and lots of skills, so you can excell in combat and social situations.

I'm myself playing one of those (a rogue/fighter rapier wielding, with nothing in the off-hand, and the Brutal Rogue Hybrid Talent, with main stat being Dex, then Cha and Str, and the Flash of the Blade feat), it's so cool and funny to play!! :smallwink:

I call the combo "The Roghter" :smallbiggrin:

Night Monkey
2010-01-03, 09:07 AM
I like the Warden/Barbarian, taking Hybrid Talent: Warden's Armoured Might, to get Con to AC. If playing one of the Strength and Con races (eg, Goliath) it can be a bit of a melee monster.

I'd also like to try out a Githyanki Warlock/Swordmage.

Thajocoth
2010-01-04, 03:18 PM
I like the Warden/Barbarian, taking Hybrid Talent: Warden's Armoured Might, to get Con to AC. If playing one of the Strength and Con races (eg, Goliath) it can be a bit of a melee monster.

I'd also like to try out a Githyanki Warlock/Swordmage.

There's a feat now, in Primal Power, that gives Con to AC for Primal classes that take it... So you can take that and use Hybrid Talent for another bonus if you wanted to.

Galdor Miriel
2010-01-04, 03:35 PM
I made a hybrid ranger rogue and have found it a bit suboptimal as I ended up using ranger powers mostly and just missed the extra powers. The idea was to have quick draw to switch between a short sword and a bow depending on the situation.

When I say suboptimal, it was really that I felt the rogue was underused as the bow dominated, which made it feel pointless. But it could have been just the battles we had. I threw in an assassin multiclass to up the damage for striking from the shadows.

Talyn
2010-01-05, 02:02 PM
I've got a Charismadin/Bard combo whom I love. The extra healing from the Bard means I can use Virtuous Touch instead of Lay on Hands, making me extremely resistant to status effects. The heavy armor and shield let me use the front-line bard powers without the inherent squishyness of the Bard.

CarpeGuitarrem
2010-01-05, 02:35 PM
I made a hybrid ranger rogue and have found it a bit suboptimal as I ended up using ranger powers mostly and just missed the extra powers. The idea was to have quick draw to switch between a short sword and a bow depending on the situation.

When I say suboptimal, it was really that I felt the rogue was underused as the bow dominated, which made it feel pointless. But it could have been just the battles we had. I threw in an assassin multiclass to up the damage for striking from the shadows.
Sneak Attack. On a ranger. And don't forget Deft Strike, which targets Reflex...as an At-Will. Oh, shoot. That's a light blade power. Darn. You could try a ranger/rogue with a crossbow, that should provide some better synergy, letting you use rogue or ranger powers with the crossbow (except the melee rogue powers).

A ranger with the Brutal Scoundrel damage on top of Sneak Attack, though...and Hunter's Quarry...that's fun.

Yakk
2010-01-05, 02:39 PM
Ranger/Rogue should generally go Crossbow (so you can use Rogue powers at, you know, range).

Either that, or take spiked chain training, and take Ranger minor action offhand attacks for most of your encounter powers.

hamishspence
2010-01-05, 02:39 PM
Would that be called a roguer? :smallamused:

Ichneumon
2010-01-05, 02:40 PM
I was thinking the other day. If you wanted to build a character for a solo campaign (so 1 player and 1 DM), what would the best character class be for that? Role most likely leader or defender, but with hybrids, maybe a combination between leader|defender?

Draz74
2010-01-05, 02:44 PM
I was thinking the other day. If you wanted to build a character for a solo campaign (so 1 player and 1 DM), what would the best character class be for that? Role most likely leader or defender, but with hybrids, maybe a combination between leader|defender?

I'm thinking the aforementioned Bard|Paladin.

Duos Greanleef
2010-01-05, 03:16 PM
Ranger|Fighter.
Beastmaster + Defendery stuff.
Not optimal, but TONS of fun.

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Keira, level 6
Human, Ranger|Fighter
Hybrid Talent: Ranger Fighting Style
Ranger Fighting Style: Beast Mastery (Hybrid)
Hybrid Ranger: Hybrid Ranger Reflex
Beast Companion Type: Bear
Background: Vadalis Griffon Rider (+2 to Nature)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 17, Con 12, Dex 14, Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 11.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 12, Dex 13, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 11.

AC: 18 Fort: 19 Reflex: 18 Will: 18
HP: 50 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 12

TRAINED SKILLS
Heal +11, Nature +13, Endurance +9, Athletics +11, Acrobatics +10

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +3, Bluff +3, Diplomacy +3, Dungeoneering +6, History +3, Insight +6, Intimidate +3, Perception +6, Religion +3, Stealth +5, Streetwise +3, Thievery +5

FEATS
Human: Hybrid Talent
Level 1: Mark of Handling
Level 2: Human Beast Mastery
Level 4: Beast Protector
Level 6: Weapon Expertise (Polearm)

POWERS
Bonus At-Will Power: Predator Strike
Hybrid Fighter at-will 1: Knockdown Assault
Hybrid Ranger at-will 1: Hit and Run
Hybrid encounter 1: Synchronized Strike
Hybrid daily 1: Flanking Assault
Hybrid utility 2: Pack Alertness (retrained to Pass Forward at Level 6)
Hybrid encounter 3: Hesitation Slash
Hybrid daily 5: Lacerating Maul
Hybrid utility 6: Practiced Rider

ITEMS
Adventurer's Kit, Cloak of the Walking Wounded +1, Battle Harness Leather Armor +1, Flesh Grinder Glaive +1, Riding Horse, Potion of Healing (heroic tier) (3), Cart, Tent, Bag of Holding (heroic tier)
RITUALS
Raise Beast Companion, Scroll of Raise Beast Companion (10), Animal Messenger
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

Theodoric
2010-01-05, 03:31 PM
Is there a good thing to Hybrid a Beastmaster Ranger with? I think Fighter with the synergy. Ofcourse, I'd probably go for human, seeing as I'd be burning through feats.

Edit: I got distracted when typing, so the guy above me ninjaed me. :smallredface:

Reverent-One
2010-01-05, 10:32 PM
Hybird a Beastmaster Ranger with Shaman, then multiclass Invoker, grabbing the daily power swap feat to grab the biggest angel you can summon. You still only have to focus on two attack stats, since Shaman and Invoker both use Wisdom. Boom! Instant army! Warning: Controlling all these creatures is quite a strain on your actions though.

incubus5075
2010-01-06, 10:28 AM
infernal warlok/shielding swordmage for the win. Good damage, the shielding swordmages mark reduces major damage, keep your armor profiecincies, using a longsword works awesome. I used an eladrin for it made 18 con, 16 int+2 due to race, took up the Luskan background. Was a sneaky swordmage that went to hell and came back warped (ie warlock) worked well for me.

Night Monkey
2010-01-06, 11:16 AM
There's a feat now, in Primal Power, that gives Con to AC for Primal classes that take it... So you can take that and use Hybrid Talent for another bonus if you wanted to.

However, if your whole gaming group avoids the X Power books for being op, that's not an option. I played with the charbuilder and made a Druid with that feat that added her huge Con bonus to AC and resistance to all when in beast form. Swarm Druid with that feat is far too tough.

Galdor Miriel
2010-01-06, 11:42 AM
Sneak Attack. On a ranger. And don't forget Deft Strike, which targets Reflex...as an At-Will. Oh, shoot. That's a light blade power. Darn. You could try a ranger/rogue with a crossbow, that should provide some better synergy, letting you use rogue or ranger powers with the crossbow (except the melee rogue powers).

A ranger with the Brutal Scoundrel damage on top of Sneak Attack, though...and Hunter's Quarry...that's fun.

The thing is, you only get the sneak attack on rogue powers, and the hunters quarry on the ranger powers. They do not stack. So you are either being a ranger or a rogue. If you just multiclass rogue from ranger you can get sneak attack once a round on top of hunters quarry!.

Its hard to get combat advantage from a distance so the distance attacks are the ranger attacks and the close fighting attacks are the rogue attacks. Hence no superior crossbow.

GM

CarpeGuitarrem
2010-01-06, 01:06 PM
The thing is, you only get the sneak attack on rogue powers, and the hunters quarry on the ranger powers. They do not stack. So you are either being a ranger or a rogue. If you just multiclass rogue from ranger you can get sneak attack once a round on top of hunters quarry!.
My bad, that's right.

Its hard to get combat advantage from a distance so the distance attacks are the ranger attacks and the close fighting attacks are the rogue attacks. Hence no superior crossbow.

This is not necessarily true. You can gain sniping combat advantage pretty well. That's even the basis of one of the rogue paragon paths (Cloaked Sniper), which uses a crossbow from the shadows. It's all about using concealment properly. If you are hidden from a creature, when you attack them, you gain combat advantage against them. There's even a feat you can take, I think it's in PHB2 (?), that lets you gain combat advantage by ranged flanking.

As far as the stealthing goes, it's pretty simple: move action to move behind cover, say, a barrel, make a Stealth check at the end of the action. Then use Deft Strike to pop out and pop them. Or, if you've got the benefit of a nice hiding spot, use any power. Not to mention, even without the combat advantage, a rogue has a couple of nice AoE powers, too.

It's all about versatility.

Yakk
2010-01-06, 01:43 PM
I'm having some fun with my Shielding Swordmage | Fey Warlock multiclass Wizard (for Enlarge Spell).

While the character is a Striker|Defender hybrid, I picked powers from both classes that lean heavily towards controller (long-range marks, immobilisation, teleports, grabs, etc).

He can defend in a pinch, strike in a pinch, but is mainly a skirmishing controller.

Thajocoth
2010-01-06, 02:53 PM
However, if your whole gaming group avoids the X Power books for being op, that's not an option. I played with the charbuilder and made a Druid with that feat that added her huge Con bonus to AC and resistance to all when in beast form. Swarm Druid with that feat is far too tough.

I personally don't find this to be the case. Haven't had a lot of Primal characters, but when Martial Power came out, in an all-Martial Paragon Tier party, we were allowed to retrain anything we wanted to new stuff, and I didn't really notice much of a difference in the group.

I'm actually about to start playing a Swarm Druid with that feat... Replacing my old Rogue in that party...

Also, Barbarians and Swarm Druids are the only builds that don't get either their primary or secondary stat to AC... So I see the feat as a patch, really.

Gamerlord
2010-01-06, 03:00 PM
Druid/ranger, who specializes in melee combat.