PDA

View Full Version : Planar Druid Build Help (3.5)

Rosalinath
2010-01-03, 04:37 AM
I am in need of assistance on an idea I had a while ago: a druid who focuses on healing and wildshaping into a outsider type creature to bring the hurt.

Build-wise I am starting at 6th level in a roleplay heavy campaign. powergaming is frowned upon but I also don't want to fall behind. the focus for the campaign is alignment so anything but true neutral is ok with me. evil is ok but I'm hoping not to go there.

any ideas? just so I don't look stupid here is a build I was thinking of using: Druid 5/Planar Shepard 1 (I know its broken. I plan on not using the bubble to its overpowered extent.)

PhoenixRivers
2010-01-03, 04:57 AM
I'm afraid I don't offer build advice on the following classes:

Incantatrix
Planar Shepard

I tend to stay away from them because they're too easy. If powergaming is frowned on, then you don't need forum based build advice, as a druid will be plenty strong and non-irrelevant even without Planar Shepard. It's hard to build one bad.

ex cathedra
2010-01-03, 05:00 AM
Honestly, you could fill all of your feat slots with Toughness and still be more optimized that the majority of the game's classes. You really don't need help with this. Druid is an absurd class, and Planar Shepherd exacerbates the druid's power issues.

Rosalinath
2010-01-03, 05:01 AM
I understand exactly y you wouldn't touch those two. I mearly picked it as an example because it relates to the planes in a serious way. if there are any other prcs/substitution levels/e.t.c that I'm missing please tell me

PhoenixRivers
2010-01-03, 05:06 AM
I understand exactly y you wouldn't touch those two. I mearly picked it as an example because it relates to the planes in a serious way. if there are any other prcs/substitution levels/e.t.c that I'm missing please tell me

If you feel that it relates to druids and the planes in a meaningful way, I'll only offer this:

Complete Mage has a Planar Companion feature, wherein you may trade an animal companion for an elemental. It's a power downgrade, but it fits the theme of druids and the planes.

Rosalinath
2010-01-03, 05:11 AM
that is very true, i know first hand how good druid 20 is. But what I'm looking for is a build that will let me do two things: channel planar power into offensive abilities and healing of some sort. Ties to nature are also nice.

Why druid 5/planar Shepard 1? because once I am able to shape into an outsider I will be able to turn into a Throne Archon, my favorate non-unique outsider fluff-wise.

the planar companion is ok but I am hoping to not use any of the elemental planes as the focus. I just don't like elementals, they're either weak or gamebreaking in my oppinion

PhoenixRivers
2010-01-03, 05:43 AM
that is very true, i know first hand how good druid 20 is. But what I'm looking for is a build that will let me do two things: channel planar power into offensive abilities and healing of some sort. Ties to nature are also nice.

Why druid 5/planar Shepard 1? because once I am able to shape into an outsider I will be able to turn into a Throne Archon, my favorate non-unique outsider fluff-wise.

the planar companion is ok but I am hoping to not use any of the elemental planes as the focus. I just don't like elementals, they're either weak or gamebreaking in my oppinion

Then I have nothing to offer you.

You're choosing the most powerful option for druids in a group that frowns on powergaming.

You disregard thematically consistent choices on the grounds that it's too mechanically weak.

I don't know what to tell you. You're building your character in direct opposition to your group's style. It will only end badly. I'm not going to assist you in that effort.

If you want planar power into offensive power and healing?

Cleric. Gods are outer planar entities that grant offensive power and healing to their servants via spells.

Rosalinath
2010-01-03, 05:50 AM
nonono >.< the reason I hate elementals is because of they're ability to be abused. Think summon monster to summon 1d3 greater storm elementals.

To put it simply I wish to use the prc specifically for the fluff. If there was another plane focused alternative I'd be happy with it. I admited immediately of knowing of the brokenness of said prc.

All I'm trying to do is make a druid or other nature-like class that can tap into the power of a group of outsiders. I've looked at the Planar Shepard, The Infused Spellcaster, and even the Master of Many Forms. I just wanted advice while giving an example. I'm not hard-set on the prc, I just showed what I thought would be the best example at the time.

EDIT: I keep revising my ideas >.< I'm sorry in advance

Edit2: I understand how a cleric could fit this role. but its missing one key ingrediant: the ability to morph into an outsider of some type (but not a template such as celestial)

2xMachina
2010-01-03, 06:02 AM
Nerf Planar Shepherd yourself, and present it to your DM?

No Planar Bubble, limited forms (can only wildshape to your Throne archon rather than every celestial outsider out there), limited Su powers of wildshape.

If you don't abuse the planar traits, planar bubble, Su of forms, they're not that broken.

Rosalinath
2010-01-03, 06:13 AM
Thats what I was planning from the beginning, though I didn't really think it through. I wasn't planning on using most of the Su's for the different forms, maybe a few buffs here and there and maybe the healing ability,

does anyone have the planar traits of Celstia? If its normalish I might keep the bubble, though most likely I'll completely avoid it. Or better yet take a vow against using it that would break my druid code if it is broken.

maybe for the SU's put a limit on the amount of them I can use? like down grade it so at wills are 3/day, 3/day are 1/day, and 1/day cant be used.

For the wildshape thing itself would putting a HD Limit list be a good idea? like making a personal list of selectable outsiders from the chosen plane that together are no more then my current HD?

PhoenixRivers
2010-01-03, 06:25 AM
nonono >.< the reason I hate elementals is because of they're ability to be abused. Think summon monster to summon 1d3 greater storm elementals.

To put it simply I wish to use the prc specifically for the fluff. If there was another plane focused alternative I'd be happy with it. I admited immediately of knowing of the brokenness of said prc.

All I'm trying to do is make a druid or other nature-like class that can tap into the power of a group of outsiders. I've looked at the Planar Shepard, The Infused Spellcaster, and even the Master of Many Forms. I just wanted advice while giving an example. I'm not hard-set on the prc, I just showed what I thought would be the best example at the time.

EDIT: I keep revising my ideas >.< I'm sorry in advance

Edit2: I understand how a cleric could fit this role. but its missing one key ingrediant: the ability to morph into an outsider of some type (but not a template such as celestial)

Cleric/Wizard/Theurge. Polymorph/PaO/Shapechange (though clerics can get shapechange with animal domain).

If outsider's an issue, be a lesser aasimar and use Alter Self.

There is no cause for bringing any class starting in "Pl" and ending in "anar Sheperd" to a group that frowns on powergaming. It's asking for problems.