View Full Version : So what now for our intrepid adventurers?

Turkish Delight
2010-01-03, 04:56 AM
I've gotta say, with the debunking of fan theories in the last comic, I'm extremely curious how the plot is going to proceed from here. Aside from the salvation offered by Girard scrying the area and teleporting in to settle things, which would be the easiest way to advance the plot but also the one least likely to make us all gape in wonder at the author's cleverness, all the simple solutions seem gone.

What Chevkov's guns that I haven't noticed are lying around waiting to go off? If you were writing, where would you go from here?

Setra
2010-01-03, 06:54 AM
If I were writing?

*coughSabinelovescenecough*

... On a more serious note, I'd probably have Girard find THEM. But that's just me :smalltongue:

Comet
2010-01-03, 07:08 AM
More Dune jokes to distract the readers. :smalltongue:

Asta Kask
2010-01-03, 07:20 AM
I'What Chevkov's guns that I haven't noticed are lying around waiting to go off? If you were writing, where would you go from here?

Sereni has been alerted to the other gates' destruction and also by this message. She is a high-level adventurer and can easily turn up.

factotum
2010-01-03, 07:53 AM
Sereni has been alerted to the other gates' destruction and also by this message. She is a high-level adventurer and can easily turn up.

But the question would then be, WHY would she turn up? She didn't turn up to the destruction of any of the other Gates, as far as we know, what's so special about this one that she'd leave her OWN gate unguarded to check it out?

Setra
2010-01-03, 07:54 AM
But the question would then be, WHY would she turn up? She didn't turn up to the destruction of any of the other Gates, as far as we know, what's so special about this one that she'd leave her OWN gate unguarded to check it out?
Well if she and Girard are indeed a couple, that might be what is special about this gate.

Thanatosia
2010-01-03, 09:09 AM
Given that Xykon got his skeletal Paws on her Diary and how long its been, I highly doubt Sereni is still alive.

Setra
2010-01-03, 09:11 AM
Given that Xykon got his skeletal Paws on her Diary and how long its been, I highly doubt Sereni is still alive.
I'm a fan of the "If you haven't seen the body, assume they are alive approach". Doesn't always work, of course, but it's somewhat common.

Turkish Delight
2010-01-03, 09:38 AM
Even if Sereni is still alive, there is no indication she's a sorcerer/wizard or has any means of teleporting herself to the middle of the desert from wherever she is now. She might, by freak accident of history, be within a short hike of where the Order is now...that is, hanging out for some obscure reason in the middle of an enormous desert next to another Scribble member's decoy trap that was placed there decades ago...but c'mon, now. That's just lazy storytelling. Sereni won't show up, I'm pretty certain of it.

Girard teleporting in to settle things makes more sense, but it also feels pretty lazy. It's just the most predictable plot path and solves the conundrum in such a dull, straightforward fashion that I don't think the Giant will go with it.

On the other hand, with the pieces we have on the board right now...that is, not taking into account any new factors that pop up in the next comic or two...I'm honestly very curious as to what the Order can do about their plight. On their own, they seem to be pretty screwed.

Zigg
2010-01-03, 10:03 AM
I think that it will be a cutaway to :xykon: and team :-)

Carnivorous_Bea
2010-01-03, 10:13 AM
I think it's time for a cutaway scene to Nale, Thog, and Sabine again.

Watching the Order run around in circles and debate things is going to get tedious if it goes on for too much longer, and the only alternative to doing exactly that or having some kind of too-hasty resolution is to go somewhere else for a while.

Mind you, I'm not sure exactly what Nale & Co. should be up to. :smallbiggrin: But it should ultimately work into accidentally helping the OotS find Girard/the Gate or misdirect Xykon, as long as that can be worked into the plot.

At this point, if I were playing one of the characters in the party there, I'd say, "Well, we're not going anywhere, let's look for a side quest. Where were those hives of slavers, now?" And that would be a big ol' invite for the DM to drop a few clues into the slaver hive as to where the gate is (like rescuing someone who's 'seen strange things in the desert'). :smallwink:

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-01-03, 10:51 AM
Roy starts taking Psion levels. Why? This. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137096)

Kish
2010-01-03, 10:54 AM
Roy starts taking Psion levels. Why? This. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137096)
Roy doesn't even think it's likely the Gate is there. Why would he focus at least three levels (where would he get them?) on getting another "no" answer to the question, "Is the Gate here?"

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-01-03, 11:11 AM
Roy doesn't even think it's likely the Gate is there. Why would he focus at least three levels (where would he get them?) on getting another "no" answer to the question, "Is the Gate here?"
That's no more less likely than the scenarios you have so far provided.

Kish
2010-01-03, 11:14 AM
That's no more less likely than the scenarios you have so far provided.

You're absolutely right, given that I haven't provided any. What's your point? The same could be said about speculating that Xykon will suddenly reform and never appear in the comic again.

rewinn
2010-01-03, 11:22 AM

I wonder how many copies of "Sereni's Diary" are floating around Stickworld ...

... with helpful answers to riddles, e.g. "Kill me now."

SaintRidley
2010-01-03, 12:14 PM
I'm inclined to think that if Girard is alive, he may be watching them. He'll observe them and see what they're doing. Whether or not he gets over his paranoia and is helpful to them when he chooses to reveal himself is another matter.

That or V can start trying to scry on Xykon or Redcloak to see whether or not they've begun to head out, maybe try and catch them looking at the Girard's Gate entry in the diary. Provided Cloister has worn off.

Scrying would give an easy transition into following Team Evil, too.

Zevox
2010-01-03, 01:17 PM
Well, first, we don't know that she didn't turn up at any of the other gates after their destruction. It's not like we hung around any of those for an extended period of time, and she is an epic-level Rogue, so it'd be easy for her to avoid being seen when doing so.

Second, we were told that she was not going to retire to guard her gate, which is in part why she guarded it with a dungeon full of powerhouse monsters. She doesn't need to just sit around personally guarding hers, and may well never have done so.

Zevox

Asta Kask
2010-01-03, 01:18 PM
It is at this point they start threatening and/or bribing the DM for clues.

Optimystik
2010-01-03, 01:44 PM

As I pointed out in your "psionics" thread, Legend Lore can do that just as easily.

TVTMaster
2010-01-03, 02:18 PM
I'm inclined to think that if Girard is alive, he may be watching them. He'll observe them and see what they're doing. Whether or not he gets over his paranoia and is helpful to them when he chooses to reveal himself is another matter.

That or V can start trying to scry on Xykon or Redcloak to see whether or not they've begun to head out, maybe try and catch them looking at the Girard's Gate entry in the diary. Provided Cloister has worn off.

Scrying would give an easy transition into following Team Evil, too.

Scrying on Xykon is probably a bad idea: for one thing, scrying can be detected and traced (as evidenced by Eugene's discovery of Shojo), thus warning Xykon that there's folks after the gate, and either way it's unlikely to work- if Cloister wore off, he'd probably cast it again, or if not at least have Redcloak set up some wards or spells against magical detection. Besides looking for the phylactery, they really have nothing to do in Azure City, so it's not like they need the spells for toasting adventurers or setting traps.

Asta Kask
2010-01-03, 02:19 PM
Scrying on Xykon is probably a bad idea: for one thing, scrying can be detected and traced (as evidenced by Eugene's discovery of Shojo), thus warning Xykon that there's folks after the gate, and either way it's unlikely to work- if Cloister wore off, he'd probably cast it again, or if not at least have Redcloak set up some wards or spells against magical detection. Besides looking for the phylactery, they really have nothing to do in Azure City, so it's not like they need the spells for toasting adventurers or setting traps.

SoD Spoiler

Xykon detects a scrying sensor from Dorukan in SoD.

DBear
2010-01-03, 02:40 PM
Girard and Serini had kids and at least one is watching the OotS.

Acero
2010-01-03, 02:57 PM
I think it's time for a cutaway scene to Nale, Thog, and Sabine again.

Watching the Order run around in circles and debate things is going to get tedious if it goes on for too much longer, and the only alternative to doing exactly that or having some kind of too-hasty resolution is to go somewhere else for a while.

Mind you, I'm not sure exactly what Nale & Co. should be up to. :smallbiggrin: But it should ultimately work into accidentally helping the OotS find Girard/the Gate or misdirect Xykon, as long as that can be worked into the plot.

it'd be alot more interesting if they went to Kraagor's Gate and went toe-to-toe w/ O-Chul and Lien

Kieran Cage
2010-01-03, 04:42 PM
it'd be alot more interesting if they went to Kraagor's Gate and went toe-to-toe w/ O-Chul and Lien

Hmmm. O-Chul vs. the Linear Guild, you say?

At the risk of sounding like an excitable fanboy...

YESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYES!!!!!!!!! :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

Also, as author of one of the few crackpot theories that remain standing after #697...

The gate is in a nearby location, the coordinates to which are encoded in Girard's message.

I'm still holding on to the slim hope that I somehow got it right, and their next step will be deducing that.

TimelordSimone
2010-01-03, 05:46 PM
My money is on cutting to somewhere else.
Whether that be Team Evil or the Linear Guild, or something else altogether.

Souhiro
2010-01-03, 08:01 PM
If I were the writer, would have
a) Belkar LITERALLY become the sexiest shoeless god of war.
bee) Miko returns
cee) Belkar eats Tiamat and the Oracle for breakfast. Both of them alive.
dee) Miko becomes the butt-monkey for every character.

CapedLuigiYoshi
2010-01-03, 08:17 PM
Considering that we're still in the beginning of what will eventually become Book 5, there's no way the resolution will be coming anytime soon.

Give it 150+ strips, then start wondering.

Zxo
2010-01-03, 09:02 PM
My 10 gp is on Xykon finding the phylactery and teleporting to the desert. Then, OoTS learns about them (maybe Team Evil does something that sets off special effects visible/audible from miles, maybe Blackwing notices them from the sky). OoTS then sneak up on Xykon while he is trying to figure out the illusions Girard left at the real gate.

FoE
2010-01-03, 09:04 PM
We cut to the Linear Guild.

Sewblon
2010-01-03, 11:58 PM
Have the Linear Guild show up and unknowingly dispense critical information about the location of Girard's gate right before The Order defeats them. I am pretty sure that was the IFCC's plan.

jlvm4
2010-01-04, 12:47 AM

If not kids, associates. We know there are 'involved parties' we haven't met yet, what better way to introduce them than as Gerard's or Serini's version of the Sapphire Guard. A group of people unaware of the true nature of their assignment, having been fed a cover story which they will act to protect/defend. Soon chose paladins because that tied into how he believed the gates should be defended. Who knows what methods the others would choose if they felt the need to take additional precautions?

Hatman
2010-01-04, 01:29 AM
REVENGE! from this guy's:
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0021.html
girlfriend

Sewblon
2010-01-04, 01:34 AM
girlfriend That guy had a girlfriend? I know this is a fantasy story, but that is raping suspension of disbelief.

Hatman
2010-01-04, 01:42 AM
That guy had a girlfriend? I know this is a fantasy story, but that is raping suspension of disbelief.

umm.... http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0019.html

Sewblon
2010-01-04, 02:00 AM
umm.... http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0019.html Darn, I keep forgetting stuff from this comic.

Hatman
2010-01-04, 02:11 AM
if you think about that guy would get to be in an orgy every time he did it.
hmmmm:smallcool:

Setra
2010-01-04, 02:54 AM
girlfriend
You know, that's actually a relevant point.

If the Mother of that Black Dragon came back... you never know.

xwing
2010-01-04, 04:57 AM

And their child is ... BELKAR!:smallbiggrin:

Blas_de_Lezo
2010-01-04, 12:05 PM
Even if Sereni is still alive, there is no indication she's a sorcerer/wizard or has any means of teleporting herself to the middle of the desert from wherever she is now.

If she has a way to know that the signal is activated, she can just use a Teleport Scroll. Remember she's a high level rogue, so he could have Use Magic Device maximized.

lee7pwnage
2010-01-04, 01:38 PM
My money is also on the Linear Guild getting involved somehow. I'd love to see them "team up" again. Much mistrust and fun would ensue, and maybe both parties learn something from it.

Then, of course, "Curse your sudden and inevitable betrayal!"

normalphil
2010-01-04, 06:54 PM
Finding Girard dove-tails into dealing with the Haley's Dad subplot. Watch them be related. Genetically.

Turkish Delight
2010-01-04, 08:18 PM
Finding Girard dove-tails into dealing with the Haley's Dad subplot. Watch them be related. Genetically.

This is why I was betting on Haley gaining some kind of shock of recognition from Girard's image. Somehow or other, the Giant has to drag the entire party into the Haley's Dad subquest before the main quest is done with. Having Haley's Dad be the key to Girard in some fashion would accomplish that.

But nope, no nothing so far. We'll see if that changes.

Shale
2010-01-04, 08:52 PM
It's also possible that we'll cut to two red-haired old men in a cell together, somewhere in Former Tyranaria.

Axl_Rose
2010-01-05, 12:00 AM
I expect something badass and

a. Girard-related
b. Xykon-lated
c. Both

for number 700; so whatever major thing happens, I expect it to happen soon! (stripwise, that is. Timewise, perhaps not as much)

Hatman
2010-01-06, 01:13 PM
It's also possible that we'll cut to two red-haired old men in a cell together, somewhere in Former Tyranaria.

hehe, that would be sweet. or better yet, two old red headed guys slaughtering guards as they escape. i mean girard at least doesnt seem to have a problem with killing lawfuls