PDA

View Full Version : How to build a better monk (with a warlock)

Snikies
2010-01-03, 05:03 AM
I am a martial artist, i practice Shaolin, and they are considered to be fighting monks. I have always hated the fact that monks are far from worth while in D&D. I have tried over and over to make a 'good' monk, but so far all i can see is that dipping into a few lvls of monk is all its worth. So i've been trying to find a build that is not really a monk, but follows a theme like one. After a great deal of research, things like warblade and swordsage come to mind. But i found the warlock in complete arcane. As soon as i saw the hideous blow invocation, i was hooked. What better 'monk' like fighting power would a d&d monk have than ki energy strikes when they hit. Yes i realize it is a bit low powered, but with a good combination of other invocations, along with some high save dcs, hideous blow can really knock someone around martial style. :smallbiggrin: So my question here, besides spiked gauntlets, can anyone think of a good hand weapon of choice that would lead to the martial arts feel? And maybe some good build ideas to make the martial warlock much more dps oriented? The low (d6) HD really makes this build hard, but i think with a good build, something will make it good. I like this idea, it feels fun, and i can't wait to play one. Thanks for any suggestions.

ex cathedra
2010-01-03, 05:08 AM
Note that hideous blow is explicitly a standard action attack. That means, regardless of level, you'll only be able to attack once each round. As such, you will never do level appropriate damage.

I strongly suggest against this idea. If you want a Monk's flavor, I suggest using the Swordsage's Unarmed adaptation, in which it gains the unarmed strike progression of a monk.

Edit:
I suppose that, in one manner, Hideous Blow would suit your needs. It is very like a quintessential D&D monk in that it is utterly terrible.

Tokiko Mima
2010-01-03, 05:14 AM
One thing you should know:

Hideous Blow...
http://blogtown.portlandmercury.com/images/blogimages/2009/09/22/1253637561-admiral_ackbar.jpg

It's one of the worst invocations ever. It's a regular melee attack (not a touch attack,) you provoke AoO's if you're in melee, it triggers spell resistance, and it's a standard action only. The weapon damage you will add is insignificant to the amount of damage lost from Hideous Blows drawbacks.

If you are planning on being a melee lock, my recommendation is to take Summon Swarm at warlock level 1 then switch it out for Eldritch Glaive (a MUCH better melee warlock option) as soon as your BAB gives you multiple attacks.

Temotei
2010-01-03, 05:16 AM
Admiral Akbar knows his stuff.

Totally Guy
2010-01-03, 08:26 AM
I found that the Complete Arcane's Enlightened Fist class was enough to accomplish the Monk I wanted to play.

He was pretty good at levels 7 and up. But was a complete and utter liability from 1st-3rd level.