PDA

View Full Version : Level 1-21 IC

Kobold-Bard
2010-01-03, 01:27 PM
It's your second day on the road with Emarco's Travelling Emporium. And so far it's been a relatively mundane affair. Despite (or possibly because of) the partially-mercenary security the half dozen caravans and their occupants have remained untouched.

You are on an almost road; there is no proper developing of the ground, but so many people use it it's been worn down and is basically a road (though it turns to mud when it rains). It's a nice day, slight wind from the South, and sunny but with a bit of cloud cover. You are heading East towards Qiln.

After setting out late afternoon yesterday you camped by the wayside last night, taking watch if you were required to do so, but it was the first day of three and everyone was pretty quiet. This second day though people are more talkative (or at least some of them are).

You have about 5 hours left before resting for the night, and are in pretty empty territory; animals, plants and not much else. Occasionally a passer-by causes the caravan to hold up as the various merchants ply their trade.

----------------------
Okey dokey. You can talk to whoever you like, but I'd like a position for each of you on the (not to scale) map below. You can be with the caravan for any reason you like, some options may be paid (if you're more security etc.), some may be charged (if you're tagging along to take advantage of the extra security etc.).

The caravans are wood and metal, the security are paid NPC's (three Human, one Half-Orc) and are on foot. The front and rear guard consist of two man teams and are horse mounted (front 1 Human, 1 Half-Orc. Rear are both Human, one female.)

Each caravan belongs to a different arm of the Emporium, and hold an ecclectic collection of people, selling everything from armour, weapons, scrolls and potions to unusual pets.

http://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt310/Kobold-Bard/1-21Map1.jpg

Melamoto
2010-01-03, 01:48 PM
Kosj walks along absent mindedly, not really paying attention to the path and using the other travellers to help him. Standing small among the other people there, he feels slightly out of place, but happy to be free nonetheless. He hops up onto the edge of a caravan, and sits, watching the rest of the travellers.

Kobold-Bard
2010-01-03, 01:54 PM
((Re: being small. You are outnumbered size-wise (as usual), but you're not entirely alone. There is a Halfling couple who run the adventurers supplies caravan with a few others, and a Gnome Illusionist who works on the magic caravan. There is also another Kobold who works in the armoury caravan, making weapons for those of smaller stature, but he's a bit of a workaholic.))

rezplz
2010-01-03, 02:56 PM
"Excuse me! Sir Kobold!" Ardil brushes off his dress shirt, which had gotten a bit of dirt on it, as he heads towards the caravan. Walking beside it, he keeps speaking. "Uh, you see, sir, it's just that I'm a huge fan of studying. Of knowledge, and learning things. But I've never been able to study a kobold in a friendly atmosphere before!" Ardil fusses with his pack, pulling out a sheet of paper, and then begins searching for his ink and pen. "And I was wondering, you know, if you wouldn't mind, if you could tell me a bit about your people, and why you're not with them at this point in time?"

Melamoto
2010-01-03, 03:12 PM
Kosj stares blankly for a moment, slightly confused by this request. He responds in a slow voice, "My people? My people are fools who are too stuck up and proud of themselves to notice the world around them." Kosj looks more serious for a moment, before leaning back against the caravan sides. "I'll tell you a few things about them though." Kosj begins to absent mindedly recount facts and information about his home, such as standards of etiquette, work duties, leisure activities, and pseudo-fascism.

vampire2948
2010-01-03, 03:18 PM
Aortal Kyuuketsuki

Aortal walks near the front of the caravan, on the left side relative to the direction it is travelling, and listens to the conversations of others.
It had been a day since she had last fed, having found a homeless man at night in the last town they passed through.
Feeding was going to be a problem.

Wrapped in a heavy cloak to protect herself from the sun, she gazed around at the nearest passengers to try to find anyone who wouldn't be noticed if they were missing. Looking particularly at those who were alone, and not employed by the caravan.
She knew she would likely have to make her move at night.

Aortal continues to walk along, listening to the conversations of the other passengers that are audible.

rezplz
2010-01-03, 03:42 PM
"...fascinating," Ardil hurredly smooths out his papers as he climbs onto the caravan next to the kobold. Dipping the pen into the ink, he begins to write. "Fools... stuck up...proud..." Ardil's pen scratches furiously against the wrinkled paper as he makes sure to get as much down as he can. Even the little details he takes in - things that would be dull to others, Ardil commited to memory, loving knowledge for the sake of knowledge.

"Fascinating. Really really fascinating." Ardil nods, looking at the information he had written down. He leans forward, blowing on the ink, trying to get it to dry faster. "If you don't mind me asking, was there any specific even that lead you to leave your people? What brings you here now?"

Melamoto
2010-01-03, 04:36 PM
"Nothing in particular, I just realised the futility of our society and how pathetic everything there really was. I left in order to seek new and more promising lands." Kosj sits up, looking more alert. "So now, let me ask you something. Why do you want to know? Are you writing a book or something?"

vampire2948
2010-01-03, 04:44 PM
Aortal, having listened to the conversation of the two vertically-challenged people on the caravan next to her, spoke up:

Pardon me for my interruption, but why did you feel that life amongst your kind was futile? It seems remarkably similar to most races existance. You're born, you live your life according to the customs of your race... in the kobold case, building, protection of your own, and pleasing your race's tradition of gathering wealth in emulation of your assumed draconic ancestors.
I think there're quite a lot of parallels with most other races in there.
Did you dislike it because of the lack of adventure, perhaps? Or being stuck in a mine or similar for your life?

Melamoto
2010-01-03, 05:38 PM
Kosj turns to the cloaked woman. "You know nothing of that place. Straight from birth you are shuffled and sorted by body, taught how to hate the other races, of Kobold superiority, and given into eternal servitude to dragons. I have no problem with mines, or boredom. I simply see that most of our society was about being pointlessly loyal to those who returned no favours, and living off of our elitism. I am glad to be rid of such a wretched place." Kosj spits to the ground in disgust, and carries on. "What would you know of such a place? Do you live underground? Are you a Kobold in disguise?" Kosj stares at the woman in defiance.

rezplz
2010-01-04, 02:21 AM
"Hm, a book?" Ardil rubs his chin, thinking for a moment. "No... no, I was not intending to write a book. I'm merely trying to learn as much as I can, and I hadn't previously ever talked to a kobold, so I saw an opportunity. But a book, you say? Maybe I should! Do you think people would read it?"

Then when the woman comes up, asking the kobold a bit more, Ardil's eyes widen a bit more in interest as the kobold continues to go on about the unfortunate parts of kobold life. He goes back to his paper, writing down most of what the kobold says, repeating a few words to himself as he writes. "By body... superiority... dragons... worthless loyalty..."

vampire2948
2010-01-04, 02:42 AM
The cloaked woman replies: All I know of such a place is from things i've read or heard. I was merely curious, and bored. Walking beside a caravan isn't the most exciting thing i've done. And no, i'm not a kobold in disguise.

Trulhammaren
2010-01-04, 07:04 PM
One down, two to go. Let's hope things stay as peaceful as they have been. Golvath thought to himself as he walked alongside the two humans in the rear-guard. He was originally told to stay with the front guard to help act as a deterrent due to his incredible size. It wasn't until they began moving that people noticed exactly how tall he really was. Towering over most of the wagons in the caravan he could be seen pretty much no matter where he stood in the caravan during the day, so he oped to hang out in the back so he could keep an eye on things from the generally most vulnerable area of a group.

Kobold-Bard
2010-01-06, 08:17 AM
You continue along the road for about half an hour before you come across the remains of a burned out horse cart in the middle of the road.

Sending someone to examine it you see/hear a crossbow bolt thud into the man's shoulder, followed by a dozen more at various people/caravans, as well as a dagger or two and some sling bullets. Two other tag-alongs are dropped instantly, but one Gnome manages to dive under the second caravan.

Seemingly from nowhere there are more than two dozen people surrounding you, Humans and Halflings mostly, though there are a few half-orcs as well. They all wear grey and green clothing covered in grass, a masterclass in the art of the ambush.

You hear a deep voice from somewhere, but in the confusion you can't tell exactly where it comes from.

"No prisoners. Kill 'em all!"

Another volley of arrows and slings comes in from both sides. Fortunately you manage to mostly avoid harm, only Ardil takes a sling bullet to the chest ((1 damage)).

The security kick right into gear, charging into battle. The caravanners barricade themselves within their vehicles.

Kosj's turn

------------
Initiative:
Bandit Group-1 20
Bandit Group-2 18
Kosj 13
Aortal 11
Ardil 8
Golvath 7
Bandit Group-3 5

There are bandits all around, feel free to attack wherever the hell you like. Just tell me what side you're on.

Melamoto
2010-01-06, 09:30 AM
Upon noticing the attack, Kosj quickly makes a sneaky dash into the nearest Caravan (3) and hides, while observing the attackers.
[roll0]
[roll1]

vampire2948
2010-01-06, 09:50 AM
Aortal - Standing on the left side of the caravan, square A3.

Aortal activates Detect Good, and looks at the bandits infront of her for one of goodly alignment.

Then rushes at the nearest bandit, preferring one of goodly alignment to one that is not, and attacks with her weapons.

Sword 1
To hit
[roll0]
Damage
[roll1]
Sword 2
To hit
[roll2]
Damage
[roll3]

vampire2948
2010-01-06, 09:51 AM
Confirm Critical on Sword 2 [crit range is 19-20]
[roll0]

Failed.

Trulhammaren
2010-01-06, 02:17 PM
Having readied his weapon when the cart was discovered, Golvath was more than ready for anything, or so he thought. Using his height to his advantage he took notice of the cloaked person entering the fray alongside the security on that side of the caravan. "You two take that area, I'll slow down that group."He addressed the two members of the rear guard as he made his way to the closest enemy. ((Rear right hand portion of the caravan))

HIT: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

rezplz
2010-01-06, 04:20 PM
Ardil's face pales for a moment when he first sees the bandits. Having never expected to have to deal with such an encounter, he does the first logical thing that comes to mind.

"I surrender!" He shouts, raising his hands. Their leader, however, yells something that makes the poor man even more pale.

"No prisoners. Kill 'em all!"

"Oh, dear," Then a sling bullet hits him in the chest, causing him to cough for a moment, clutching the wound in pain. "This is not ideal at all!" He digs through his things before taking out one of his scrolls. Reading from the magical words, written by his own neat hand, he sends a bolt of arcane energy at the soldier who shot him.

Move action to take out scroll, standard to cast.
Damage: [roll0]

HP: 5/6

Kobold-Bard
2010-01-07, 01:49 PM
Kosj dives under the caravan, it doesn't seem like anybody noticed him.

Aortal slashes through her target after they duck under her fist blade.
((Shouldn't you be taking a -2 to each of your attacks from 2WF?))

Golvath's orders are obeyed, but his voice and immense stature allow his target to duck and evade his attack.

Ardil's spell hits the sling holding bandit clean. He falls to the ground and doesn't get up.

Around you the security are doing their job, and drop an enemy apiece, the mounted man claiming two in the crossfire.

Aortal's opponent retaliates with a rapier slash across her chest however ((2 damage))

Melamoto
2010-01-07, 02:36 PM
Kosj looks out for the nearest preoccupied bandit, and tries to take a quick, unnoticeable shot at him with his tiny crossbow.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Trulhammaren
2010-01-07, 05:48 PM
Allowing the momentum of his first swing carry his hammer above his head he brings the hammer down with even greater force.

To hit: [roll0]

(power attack 1)

rezplz
2010-01-07, 06:03 PM
Taking a deep breath to calm his nerves, ardil casts a spell causing a shimmering field of armor to form around him. Feeling somewhat safer, he hops off of the caravan, taking a few seconds to look and see where the caravan security might need the most help.

Cast mage armor, AC is now 16.

vampire2948
2010-01-07, 06:13 PM
Aortal curses slightly, and attacks the bandit again.

Sword 1
[roll0]
[roll1]
Sword 2
[roll2]
[roll3]

HP 10/12

Kobold-Bard
2010-01-10, 02:39 PM
Kosj kills a bandit, however his crossbow string hits him in the face and he gives a yelp that alerts everyone within 500 miles his exact location (-3, what you going to do).

Despite his est efforts, the bandits are just to quick for Volgath to hit. The chunk he just took out of the ground however show that when he does hit one, they are going to perish very quickly.

Aortals first blade does what is needed to kill her opponent, utting her clean from shoulder to shoulder.

The security sweep up another wave of attackers, several of the survivors fleeing. A Half-Orc wearing thick leather armour bellows after them. "You cowards will meet your fate on my blades."

The Half-Orc then turns his attention to Aortal, her keen strike obviously making him decide she is a threat. Drawing a pair of handaxes he launched himself at her, cutting her deep ((7 damage)).

--------------------
Just so you don't think I'm picking on you Vamp, I'm rolling to determine who gets hit. Clearly you've done something to anger the d4 Deity.

Melamoto
2010-01-10, 03:23 PM
"That one looks dangerous..." Kosj mutters to himself, while reloading his Crossbow. He then crawls back and gets into a better position out of sight underneath the caravan, in order to lose attention and hide again, hoping nobody pays attention.
[roll0]
[roll1]

rezplz
2010-01-10, 05:29 PM
Okay... I can do this. I can do this." Ardil takes a few deep breaths to calm himself, and then makes his way to wherever it looks like the caravan security is in need of the most help. Standing just far enough away from the bandits to not be in melee with them, he opens his hand, sending a burst of flame at as many bandits as he can get in the blast.

burning hands! Gogogo 1d4 damage! [roll0] reflex save DC 14 for half.

Trulhammaren
2010-01-11, 06:05 PM
Seeing as how the carvan's other security forces were easily causing the bandits to start to break rank Gorvath took a quick look around the battle field and noticed the Half-orc that was barking out the threats.

Cut off the head and the body knows not what to do.

Charge attack the Half-Orc

To hit: [roll0]

vampire2948
2010-01-20, 03:55 PM
What's it like knowing your death is standing infront of you? I imagine you'd be more polite.

I attack the same bandit.

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

Kobold-Bard
2010-01-20, 03:59 PM
The axe blow wounds Aoral, but her attacks strike true

Kosj gets to cover successfully.

The bandit leader dodges right around Ardil's spell, barely being touched by it.

However his move puts him right in the line of Gorvath's blow, which crushes him completely (Damned d6's for HP :smallannoyed:)

Seeing their leader defeated the remainder of the bandits turn to flee, a couple of them being routed by the mounted security.

The bandit leader is badly wounded, but breathing. The caravan head bustles out of his vehicle, only for the Half-Orc security guard to bustle him back in.

"There may be more.Stay inside sir."

-------------------
Victory!!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8NsnLfIAcs)

Everyone collect 150XP.

Melamoto
2010-01-20, 04:11 PM
Kosj comes out from his hiding place, and walks back over to Ardil. "And here I was thinking this would be a quiet trip." Kosj sighs, at least happy that he survived.

vampire2948
2010-01-20, 04:22 PM
That took far too long. I guess we should find out some things...

Aortal looks around to see if any of the fallen bandits are still breathing.

Spot Check
[roll0]

Kobold-Bard
2010-01-20, 04:30 PM
No breathing bandits are found.

vampire2948
2010-01-20, 04:34 PM
I pull out a pair of manacles from my pack, and walk over to the furthest body from where the caravan is.

Uh, this guy looks like he's still possibly alive. I'll tie him up and bind his wounds, it would be good to know if we can expect more ambushes, if he wakes up.

Bluffin' Check
[roll0]

I then pick up the body

Strength Check?

[roll1]

And walk over to any caravan that has space for the body to be laid out, and that is relatively private, and which people won't mind too much having a body in it. If such a place exists.

Kobold-Bard
2010-01-21, 06:11 AM
Aortal only:
Fortunately everyone is too busy to be paying much attention to you, so your appaling Bluff goes unnoticed. You can hide the body in the second to back caravan if you like, it's full of assorted magical bits which will more than mask the smell (the wood is enchanted to keep everyone else outside from having to deal with it).

I can say that finding a corpse will be treated suspiciously by everyone, but if you're careful you should be ok. Roll either an Int or a Wis Check to see if you hide it successfully.

vampire2948
2010-01-21, 12:16 PM
Wis Check

[roll0]

After hiding myself and the body successfully, or not, within the caravan. I proceed to drain the corpse of whatever blood it has left.

Kobold-Bard
2010-01-21, 12:17 PM
((How much blood does a medium have? And how much do you need?))

rezplz
2010-01-24, 06:08 PM
Ardil, breathing heavily, nods at Kosj, putting a hand to his beating chest. He starts to walk back towards the caravan, slowly and shaking slightly. "Well that was... exhilerating, to say the least. I suppose."

Simba
2010-01-25, 05:17 AM
Out of the underbrush steps a person in rough, homespun clothing and leather armor. He looks almost human, but has a strong bestial touch to his features. The youth in his face belies the grey in his long, braided hair. He looks strong, with well defined muscels, and moves with the grace and surety of a predator. You see a Skythe in his hands and a few knives in his belt.

"I see you have already met!" he says, looking at the corpses "I am sorry for being late, but I had to run after them all day. My name is Kar'ish."

Kobold-Bard
2010-01-25, 06:03 AM
As the newcomer arrives the caravan leader gives the order to set up camp for the night. The security get to work burying the bandits haphazardly (to keep the smell away more than everything).

Melamoto
2010-01-25, 11:29 AM
Kosj sighs, before turning to the newcomer, and sizing him up. "Kar'ish, huh? Well, you would have done better to get here earlier. Are you going to come with us now? Because if you are then you had better listen and get ready to camp out for the night."

Trulhammaren
2010-01-26, 07:37 PM
Golvath did his part in helping dispose of the bandits before removing himself from the camp to pray to Kuliak and Vanua in peace.

rezplz
2010-01-27, 12:21 AM
"Kar'ish, you say?" Ardil fusses with his robes, making them straight as he goes up to the newcomer, extending his hand. "My name's Ardil. If you don't mind me asking, what brings you out here?" A curious, yet friendly eye looks the newcomer over, studying him.

Simba
2010-01-27, 02:40 AM
Kar'ish

Kar'ish looks Ardil straight in the eye, then shrugs: "I've been hunting these bandits for a few days now. There might be more in the area, looking for caravans to prey on. I would join you if you will have me, I know this land quite well and can lend a hand in everyday chores if necessary."

Kobold-Bard
2010-01-29, 06:31 PM
Night falls and passes without further incident.

((Unless anyone wants to do anything specific I'm skipping forward to kick the game back to life. If you want to do something feel free to do it)).

Mid afternoon the next day you arrive in Qiln, the caravan is searched and allowed to enter the city (assuming Aortal gets rid of the body). Qiln is a busy market city, people are everywhere.

-----------------------------
Everyone who said they were hired as security get paid 20gp. Everyone who said they were tagging along for a safer ride pays 5gp. Simba does neither.

Do anything you want, or I'll move on.

rezplz
2010-01-30, 01:53 PM
Throughout most of the morning Ardil occupies himself by asking questions about various things to the caravan that had escorted them, trying to learn what he could. Once they arrive at Qiln, after paying his five gold, Ardil heads towards the nearest library to find some book to bury himself in. He'll likely stay there until it's time to move on.

Melamoto
2010-01-31, 07:29 AM
Kosj, upon arrival at the city, pays his 5g, and looks around for a bit. "Nice place.", he says to himself, and goes out to find someone to sell his various legitimately acquired trinkets and items to.

Kobold-Bard
2010-02-02, 12:13 PM
((Moving on))

As you take care of your errands and affairs in Qiln you each receive a message via courier urchin from Lendra; the Halfling owner of one of the caravans you travelled with, with a talent for collecting and selling magic items (everything from trinkets that whistle and flash when you snap your fingers to scrolls containing relatively powerful and obscure spells).

The notice says that she has some business outside Quil, and each of you proved that you can hold your own on your previous journey. If you're interested you should meet her at the fountain in the centre of the city tomorrow morning.

Despite his late arrival, Kar'ish's note also offers the job. Apparently you had an impression on her.

Trulhammaren
2010-02-02, 12:32 PM
Thus far having been unable to find some form of work that he deemed suitable for himself Golvath was glad when he received word from Lendra at the very least it was work and possibly even an avenue to make his way to another place to find work.

Melamoto
2010-02-02, 12:55 PM
"Sounds like a good bit of pay. And if it isn't, sounds like a good bit of pilfering to be had." Kosj wanders around the city some more, before heading to a nearby tavern to get himself a room for the night.

Simba
2010-02-03, 12:52 AM
Kar'ish

After receiving the note, Kar'ish decides to stay around and accept. For the first time in his life he goes looking for a tavern to sleep. "I might as well, let's see how it is. Can't be too bad, those people do it all the time..."

rezplz
2010-02-03, 02:53 PM
Ardil looks over the note, thinking about it for a good while, thinking about the possibility. "Hm... my funds are running kind of low..." Mercenary-type work wasn't quite the kind of thing that was normally his thing... but... he could use the money, he thought, as he looked into his coin purse. He decided that he would at least show up the next day, and see what this offer was.

For the rest of the night, Ardil stays in the library for as late as he can until he gets kicked out. Then he will find a tavern to stay at for the night.

Kumo
2010-02-05, 10:53 PM
Mordio put the note slowly into his pocket, smirking a bit. The lead he'd followed there had turned out to be a load of crud, and there was nothing keeping him in that city. He turned and made his way to the inn, paying with his wage from the caravan for a room.

Of course, 5 gold pieces ain't worth much fare at an Inn. So he had to pay a little more.

All he had to do now was wait till morning. His searching that day had turned up absolutely no information about the woman he was hunting, or her brother. So that meant going to a new town, and the halfling's offer was as good as any.

Kobold-Bard
2010-02-06, 05:45 AM
The next morning, when you get to the fountain you see no Halflings. What you do see is a Half-Orc with a pair of axes. When you get close he acknowledges you before motioning to the rope dangling behind him. Looking up it, it just sort of stops 5ft up.

((DC 5 Climb check to get in, no Taking 10/20. If you can't do it the Half-Orc will give you a boost for 1gp/+1gp per size category above Medium))

Once at the top you pass through an invisible doorway and into a big round "room" of swirling black and purple. Sitting in there is the Halfling who sent you the note, as well as another rather burly Half-Orc standing behind her, this one bearing a mace and steel shield emblazoned with a lightning bolt. She is sat on what looks like a golden throne with plush red cushions. There is a pink disk to her side bearing assorted things.

She welcomes each of you by name as you come in and thanks you for responding. Once you're all in and the meet-and-greet is done she'll continue.

"Thank you for coming, I hope you'll not regret it. Essentially my offer is a collection mission, but as you can imagine my need for hiring outside of the usual channels means this is a slightly more delicate endeavour. And I should point out up front that there is an inherent risk in accepting my offer, though you will of course be appropriately compensated."

She pauses for a moment. "If any of you wish to walk away now is the time to do it, no consequences of course."

Melamoto
2010-02-06, 05:53 AM
[roll0]
Kosj seems comfortable in the room, taking to sitting at the edge, folded up. "I'm up for it. I need a good way to get money in this place, and selling my various wares doesn't seem fully up to the task. And I'm not one for grunt work either; this seems like a good offer. What would be the details of this job you want from us?"

rezplz
2010-02-06, 01:53 PM
Climb check:
[roll0]

Ardil raises an eyebrow as he sees the rope simply stop five feet up. He gives the rope a tug - it stays put, anchored to something hidden from his sight. His curious mind demands for him to find what it is - magic, or mundane camouflage? Taking hold of the rope with both hands, he climbs up, his weak muscles straining with the effort.

When he gets inside, he looks around, scratching his head as he looks behind him. What had hidden this entrance? He pokes and prods for a bit, trying to discover the means of the disguise. Eventually, the words of the halfling draw him away. He walks up to where he could speak with her a bit easier. One hand goes to his chin, eyebrows narrowed in thought as he looks this over. "Well, obviously it is best to know all of the details of such an operation before accepting or denying this job offer. It sounds... interesting, and I wish to learn more before making a decision."

Simba
2010-02-06, 06:10 PM
Kar'ish

Climb check:
[roll0]

Kar'ish easily climbs up, showing no hesitation. When he hears his associates' words he simply nods, showing that he, too, would like some details before joining in.

Kumo
2010-02-06, 09:25 PM
Climb check
[roll0]

Mordio climbed up easily, then looked to the halfling. "Some concrete details would be nice." he admitted as he dusted off his pants. As he spoke, his eyes wandered a few places they probably shouldn't have. "Where exactly are we going, for starters?"

Trulhammaren
2010-02-07, 10:42 AM
Climb
[roll0]

After making his way up the rope and into the 'room' Golvath stayed silent while the others proded for more info.

I worry more about the danger I pose to any compatriots.

Kobold-Bard
2010-02-09, 05:42 PM
"Well since you've all signed on I'll give you the additional information. You will be heading west, to the former keep of Tellenia, a Mage of considerable power. I have it on good information that there is an item that has peaked my interest within. The Eye of Chronepsis; seemingly a spherical red orb around the size of a Human fist.

Your mission is to retrieve the Eye and return it to me. You will each receive 500 gold weight in payment, as well as free rein on anything else left in the keep. You leave at once and you should reach the keep by early afternoon, it is not especially difficult to find.

I have gone through less than official channels here because the idea of dealing with the Mage's Guild over such an interesting item is unbearable. Any questions?"

Melamoto
2010-02-09, 05:52 PM
Kosj seems interested by the offer, standing up to lean against the wall, although he is still the shortest in the room. "So you wish us to collect this item for you, in exchange for 500 gold each? That's more than I could make in a year working in this place. I'm in." He sits back down again, still leaning on the walls.

rezplz
2010-02-09, 06:07 PM
Ardil seems stunned at the impressive offer of gold. 500?! Why, with that he could do nothing but study, without worry for shelter, or food for... well, a year! Or more! He nods, fully intending to take the offer. But this Eye of Chronepsis... He wonders, has he heard of it before?

Knowledge check, to see if it sounds familiar. I guess it's knowledge arcana right?

[roll0]

In case knowledge history (or religion or the planes, since they all have the same modifier) would help, [roll1]

Kobold-Bard
2010-02-09, 06:16 PM
((You know nothing of the item.))

rezplz
2010-02-09, 06:24 PM
Ardil frowns, dissapointed with himself that he knew nothing about this item. Well, more studying to do, he supposed... "This sounds like something that interests me, and for good pay, too. If you don't mind me asking, what else is IN this keep, and what does this magic item do?"

Kobold-Bard
2010-02-09, 06:28 PM
"It's the former home of a relatively impressive Mage, your guess of what is in there is as good as mine. And I have no idea what the Eye does, but given it's namesake I'm looking forward to examining it."

rezplz
2010-02-09, 06:48 PM
"A chance to visit and explore the unknown in a mage's keep is an opportunity I can't pass up. I can set off within the hour."

Kumo
2010-02-09, 06:57 PM
Mordio smirked, his hand resting on one of his daggers. "Let's get started, then."

Simba
2010-02-10, 01:39 AM
Kar'ish

Kar'ish listens, then nods: "Fine with me, let's go. Anybody need anything before we leave?"

Trulhammaren
2010-02-10, 11:53 PM
Powerful mage.....perhaps there will be something in the tower that will be able to remove or suppress my curse. Golvath thinks to himself before answering.

"Yes, let's prepare to leave. The sooner we can get to the tower the better."

Kobold-Bard
2010-02-12, 10:28 AM
With your agreements, she hands you a map and sends you on your way.

You can get anything you need now, or set off.

----------
I may be afk for the weekend, feel free to get to know each other on the journey, or simply wait for me to move you on.

Melamoto
2010-02-12, 04:20 PM
After leaving, Kosj turns to his companions. "I guess we'll be working together from now on. Not something I often do, but I'm sure it'll be fine. I have what I need, you guys can go ahead and get any equipment you may want. I don't know much about wizards, but sorcerers can be jerks, so I bet this guy probably put some cruel defences in his tower. Best be careful about it."

Simba
2010-02-13, 03:17 AM
Kar'ish

"I usually work alone, but this seems a good time to work together. I have all I need with me, but I will wait for you to finish your shopping."

Kobold-Bard
2010-02-19, 12:45 PM
You set off, walking through the fields for about five hours. As the land becomes less flat you reach the beginnings of some woodland. Wlking through you come to a clearing with the remains of a tower.

The base remains intact up to the first floor of windows, but the grey stone that made up the rest of it is in a huge pile to one side of it. Moss has begun to grow all over, though the rotten wooden door remains (barely). The clearing is surprisingly clear of overgrowth.

Melamoto
2010-02-19, 02:06 PM
"This place looks a total wreck. If the old man left any tricks around for after his death, I wouldn't be surprised if they're almost all gone by now."

Kumo
2010-02-20, 12:02 PM
Mordio frowned as he looked around. "I'm no expert, but aren't there supposed to be plants all over this tower?" He asked, looking back at the others. To him, this was just a detour until he could find some kind of clue to continue after the black blades. His parents came first.

Trulhammaren
2010-02-20, 08:33 PM
"Not really, stones don't generally make good places for plants to grow. The moss looks normal to me. However, the fact that the clearing is in fact clear surprises me, shouldn't something have grown in over time.

rezplz
2010-02-21, 05:42 AM
"Hm. Odd." Curiosity gets the better of the young wizard, and Ardil starts moving forward, towards the tower. He looks around at the ground and the tower that he approaches, but isn't quite sure what the lack of vegetation meant. "I wonder what's stopping plant growth. Maybe someone's been cleaning up around here?"

Melamoto
2010-02-21, 06:15 AM
Kosj ponders this for a second. "Maybe the land is simply infertile, and he placed his keep here for that reason. Or perhaps he had some spell that is keeping the land clear. Or," Kosj pauses for a moment, just to make sure he collects his thoughts right, "the place is not as abandoned as we may have believed."

Simba
2010-02-22, 01:50 AM
Kar'ish

Kar'ish looks at the vegetation around the tower, trying to find out why it has not grown as it should. Was it cut back? Destroyed for some reason? Is it under any negative effect that hinders its growth?

Trulhammaren
2010-02-22, 08:51 PM
Despite his concerns, the thoughts that there might be some arcane power within the tower that could rid him of his curse caused Golvath to forgo any normal cautious steps and made his way to the door, ignoring any warnings from his companions or from any other source.

(Assuming he does not set something off).

As he reaches whats left of the door he takes the time to look into any crack or space in the door and listening for anything out of the ordinary.

Spot - [roll0]
Listen - [roll1]

Simba
2010-02-23, 01:53 AM
Kar'ish

"I don't know what caused the abnormal vegetation, but it has no natural reasons I can see. It must be something magical."

Melamoto
2010-02-23, 03:05 AM
"The big one has it right. We won't gain much from simply observing, we need to get inside if we want to get anything done. And as long as he leads, I feel safe enough." Kosj runs after Golvath, looking and listening for anything odd about the door, or anything behind it.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Kobold-Bard
2010-02-23, 03:12 AM
Volgath:
The door is rotten wood. You hear some background noise, mostly scuttling and the wind. Nothing intelligible.

Kosj:
You hear nothing but the wind. However you do notice two runes. One is on the door itself and is faded and rotten with the wood. The other is on the remaining hinge.

rezplz
2010-02-23, 12:39 PM
Ardil comes up behind Volgath, and then goes up to the door, running his hand accross it. "I wonder if any of the old mage's power still rests within this building... fascinating," he says, as he looks up at it in awe.

Melamoto
2010-02-23, 12:46 PM
Kosj turns to his companion and makes a stop sign with his hands. "Don't touch the door!" he hisses. "There is some kind of rune hidden on the door, probably magical. We ought to make sure we don't set off any traps before we even step inside. I saw you doing magic before, perhaps you can identify it?" Kosj carefully points out the runes on the door for Ardil to see.

Simba
2010-02-23, 01:41 PM
Kar'ish

Kar'ish follows the others to the tower, careful to step where they did. He stops about 10 feet from the door, waiting for those who know something about doors to get it opened.

rezplz
2010-02-23, 01:58 PM
Ardil flinches, stopping his hand just an inch away from the door. "Oh! So there is," he says, seeing the rune pointed out to him by Kosj. "The idea that there could still be a trap after all this time is... amazing. I'd have never thought of that." He leans forward, careful not to touch the door as he studies the runes, trying to see if he recognizes them.

Knowledge: Arcana.
[roll0]
Spellcraft:
[roll1]

Kobold-Bard
2010-02-24, 03:57 PM
rezplz:
You don't know what the runes are specifically. You do know they are both arcane, and the big one on the door is innactive due to the weather damage to the door. The small one on the hinge is active, but it is beyond your skill to identify.

Using Detect Magic will give you the school of the small rune, or using Read Magic will give you another Spellcraft check to identify it if you like.

Kumo
2010-02-24, 04:36 PM
Mordio calmly took a step back. "Uh, maybe we should back up a bit. Ya know. in case the trap is..." He frowned and mentally wracked his brain for the right word. "volatile enough to get us from there."

Melamoto
2010-02-24, 04:39 PM
"Easy now, we don't know what this will do. Wizard...what was your name...Ardil? What's on the door?"

rezplz
2010-02-24, 05:49 PM
"Hm. There seems to be two runes on this door, as fas as I can tell. The larger one is no longer active, due to a prolonged deterioration of the door, likely caused by weather over time. The smaller one, placed over the hinge of the door, still seems to be active, but the identity of the rune seems to be escaping me. Hold on a moment."

Not touching the rune, but letting his hand hover over it for a bit, he wiggles his fingers a bit and mutters something seemingly unintelligible, trying to gain some more understanding of the rune.

Cast read magic. Spellcraft: [roll0]

And if that fails me, then Ardil will cast detect magic.

Also, Ardil has a pack donkey, but I forgot to mention that I brought it with me. Would I be allowed to have it with me, pretty please?

After casting the spell, he blinks for a moment, suddenly remembering that Kosj, the kobold, had asked his name. "Oh! Yes, by the way, my name is Ardil."

Kobold-Bard
2010-02-24, 05:55 PM
rezpl:
Sorry, SRD says DC19 so no. Detect magic reveals Faint Abjuration magic.

rezplz
2010-02-24, 06:04 PM
Ardil frowns, frustrated. "Somehow, the exact purpose of this rune has escaped my studies. I have, however, been able to determine that its aura is a faint one, of abjuration. So it likely has some purpose in protecting this door. My first guess would be that it is simply some kind of magical lock, which would prevent it from being opened. The larger one, logically speaking, may have then been at one point some kind of trap, like you suspected."

Deductive reasoning, as far as he was concerned, being done, Ardil reaches a hand out to the door to try to open it.

Kobold-Bard
2010-02-24, 06:14 PM
The door starts to disintegrate as you touch it (age not magic), but opens very easily. As it does so the rune on the hinge glows and an ear piercing screech is emitted, followed by a female voice.

"You have violated my sanctum and will pay for it, prepare fooooo-oo-or a woo-orll-d of-ff hurrr..."

The voice slows and deepens, before stopping entirely. Apparently the alarm was a bit old as there was definitely more to that message. Nothing seems to be attacking you, but you do hear dull noise in the background.

Inside there is a dirty round room. The tower is grey stone, but the floor is worn wood. There are leaves, dust, small animal bits all over as when the tower collapsed this room became exposed to the elements.

There are a pair of bookshelves with a couple of books apiece. There are tables and chairs, and stairs to your right. They go up the wall until the tower ends and obviously collapsed.

--------
Any more info needed?

Trulhammaren
2010-02-24, 06:56 PM
"Well if somethings going to attack us I imagine it would have done so by now. In either case...." Golvath readies his hammer and proceeds through the doorway, keeping his eyes and ears open for anything strange. He also takes a good long look at the room looking for any signs that in the architecture for hidden doors or the like.

Spot - [roll0]
Listen - [roll1]
Know (arch & eng) - [roll2]

Kobold-Bard
2010-02-25, 01:37 PM
@Trul:
You see very little of interest, the big open top of the room has let the wind ad the rain ruin the room.

The other two were too low to figure anything out; you hear nothing interesting and...lets say the ruined nature of the building prevents you from noticing anything meaningful.

Melamoto
2010-02-25, 02:12 PM
"I say we do this with caution. We know that the wizard's spells still work, although they seem to be a bit diminished." Kosj looks around the room, searching for anything interesting or of value.
[roll0]

Kobold-Bard
2010-02-25, 02:33 PM
@Melamoto and his natural 20:
You may not have been able to work out the rune, but your keen eye does see metal under the detritus on the floor. If you clear it out the way you'll find an iron hinged trap door with a hole at the other end.

Fortunately for you your eye is so keen you notice a T-shaped piece of similarly black iron on one of the tables that seems to fit into the hole.

Your Detection spell also locates a trio of small vials that are whole amongst the broken glass around. The seals around the tops are whole (unlike some of the others that have congealed) and each gives off a faint magical aura.

Melamoto
2010-02-25, 03:05 PM
Kosj clears away the mess and debris on the floor to reveal a trap door with a hole on one end. "A good look around never hurt. And I think I see a key for it." Kosj gets up and grabs a T-shaped piece of iron, and holds it up to the hole. "Looks like a fit to me. This is probably a cellar, or some strange kind of trap. Either way, if it was locked, then it probably contains something that I want." Kosj takes the piece of iron and inserts it into the hole in the trap door.

Simba
2010-02-26, 01:38 AM
Kar'ish

The Shifter watches his commerades as they search the tower and find the trapdoor. Stepping a little closer, he takes care not to disturb anyone while still being close enogh to help should the need arise.

Kobold-Bard
2010-02-27, 12:43 PM
As the trap door is opened a smell of damp emanates, the wreak is unpleasant but tolerable. However after a few seconds something much less pleasant comes forth in the form of a magnificent swarm of bats, the tiny animals screeching and clawing at you all as more and more just seem to pore out of the hole in the ground.

---------------
Run, Fight or Other?

(If fight) Initiative:
Golvath - 20
Kar'ish - 19
Kosj - 7
Mordio - 5
Ardil - 3
Bats - 3

Hell, post in any order since you're all in one group before the enemy.

Trulhammaren
2010-02-27, 02:46 PM
Watching as his comrade opened the door with his hammer readied for any surprises, he thanks the caution bred from his few years in the mines as bats swarm forth from the hole in the ground. The miners he worked with taught him that the best thing to do in these kinds of situations is swing first and hope the questions you might have asked have no reason to surface.

With this thought in his body he swings down with the full force of his strength.

Power Attack - [roll0]
Damage - [roll1]

rezplz
2010-02-27, 03:08 PM
Ardil was always too curious for his own good. So after his nerves had calmed after the alarm spell, he walked straight into the room. He took a few moments to look around. While Kosj first found the trap door, his wide eyes were still taking in the old room. Everything in here seemed a wonder to him. He was about to pick up some old piece of trash to examine it when he heard something from behind him. Finally taking the time to look over his shoulder, he saw the trap door. "Interesting. So there is more to this place than meets the eye!" He walked over to the trap door, eager to look down inside and explore what magnificent things might be in here.

Nothing pleasant came out though - bats! And a horde of them! As soon as he saw the first bat, with only more to come, Ardil panicked. "Aaaah!" he yelled, aiming his hand down at the trap door. With a quick word and movement of his fingers, fire spewed out from his hands down and into the trap door. "Bats! I hate bats!" he shouted, moving back after casting his spell.

Cast burning hands down into the trap door, then move thirty feet back, or until I'm up against the wall of the tower, whichever comes first.

Reflex save DC 14 for half damage.

[roll0]

Melamoto
2010-02-27, 04:41 PM
Kosj leapt back upon seeing the swarming creatures appear. He yells out frightened, "I take it back! This did NOT contain something I wanted!" He quickly ducks and draws his crossbow, panicking and firing a futile shot into the swarm.

Taking a 5-foot step back from the swarm and firing with my hand crossbow.

I'm assuming swarms keep their weapon damage immunity; however, on the off chance you've fiated that away, I'll roll attack anyway.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Simba
2010-03-01, 02:30 AM
Kar'ish

Kar'ish lifts his Skythe and slashes at the swarm.

attack: [roll0]
damage: [roll1]

Kumo
2010-03-01, 06:20 AM
"Ya THINK?!" Mordio shouted, drawing one of his daggers and slashing at the swarm, though he sincerely doubted it'd do anything useful.

Attack: [roll0]

Kobold-Bard
2010-03-01, 10:06 AM
Golvath instinctively knows his hammer; while it may have crushed a few bats due to it's size, was basically ineffective ((attack missed)).

Bats in the face also surprise Ardil and his spell is poorly aimed ((the made the Save)).

The rest of you are more successful, Kosj's bolt is especially accurate and manages to pass through about a dozen of them by sheer luck/skill.

However the bats are still flying wild and the flames of Ardil's spell have infuriated them. They swarm in his direction, dozens of tiny claws scratching him ((Ardil takes 1 damage)).

-----------------
As usual I decided initial target by rolling a d10, sorry rez. DC11 Fort Save or Nauseated for 1 round, and take a second point of damage at the end of your turn for bleeding.

I've traded their weapon immunity for DR 1/-, just fyi.

Trulhammaren
2010-03-02, 09:58 AM
The jarring force of his mostly ineffective attack shook Golvath for a moment, but not long enough for his focus to shift away from the adversaries at hand.

Attack - [roll0]
Damage - [roll1]

Simba
2010-03-02, 10:59 AM
Kar'ish

Kar'ish attacks the swarm once more, slashing above his head.

attack: [roll]1d20+3[roll]
damage: [roll]2d4+3[roll]

Simba
2010-03-02, 11:02 AM
One more try...

attack: [roll0]
damage: [roll1]

Melamoto
2010-03-02, 11:52 AM
At the sign of the swarm attacking Ardil, Kosj makes a quick decision, and, bravely runs and hides under a table. He shouts over at Golvath, "You! You're strong, do something!" as he reloads his crossbow.

Kumo
2010-03-08, 05:51 PM
Mordio snarled and swiped his dagger at the swarm again. There were so many of them, and his attacks were mostly ineffective. Granted, they were doing something, but it wasn't anywhere near enough for him.

Fort Save
[roll0]

Attack
[roll1]

Damage
[roll2]

Kumo
2010-03-08, 05:52 PM
reroll damage...

[roll0]

rezplz
2010-03-09, 06:51 AM
Fort save: [roll0]

With the bats all around him, ardil panics and grabs his staff, swinging at the bats to try to fend them off.

[roll1]

[roll2]

Kobold-Bard
2010-03-09, 07:55 AM
Between all of you (except Kosj and Ardil :smallwink:) you manage to crush enough bats that the rest lose their sense and either fly back down the hole in the ground or out of the open top of the broken tower.

As the last few squeaking vermin fly around harmlessly it goes quiet again.

--------------
240XP each. Well done. How many does that make now?

Melamoto
2010-03-09, 12:05 PM
Kosj waits a moment to make sure the bats are gone, then steps out from under the table and brushes himself off. "Well, I think that was a great group effort by all of us. I'm sure we can all agree that nobody is to blame for the unforeseeable consequences of opening the trap door, and that we should forget about the whole thing immediately. Now, what else was inside there?" Kosj hops over to the trap door, and looks inside.
-------------
[roll0]
[roll1] (Just in case it's relevant)

We have 690 xp so far.

Kumo
2010-03-09, 04:30 PM
Mordio rolled his eyes. "Whatever helps you sleep at night, little fella." He muttered as he made his way inside as well, dagger still in his hand. His eyes scanned the room, sweeping like the street rat he was for any sign of movement. He kept his head turning so his ears could grasp as much of what was going on as possible as well.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Spot
[roll0]
Listen
[roll1]

Kobold-Bard
2010-03-09, 04:54 PM
@Melamoto:
Thanks to your Darkvision you see a sort of ladder built into the tunnel that goes down beyond your Darkvision range.

@Kumosabe:
No movement.

Melamoto
2010-03-09, 05:11 PM
Kosj looks in closer. "Hey, there's something down here! It looks like...a ladder! And it goes down really far! I bet it leads to some kind of treasure. Can't think of much else he'd put down here." He begins to mount the ladder to climb down, but suddenly looks at the dead bats around him, and scrambles back up. He looks around at the rest of the group, and spots Golvath. "I think it would be best if you went down there first. You know, as a reward for doing so well against the bats." Kosj edges behind him, and gives him a small nudge on the hip.

Trulhammaren
2010-03-09, 06:53 PM
"Right....."

Taking a quick look into the hole, Golvath takes a look at his companions.

"I don't suppose anyone happened to bring a lantern or anything like that."

Melamoto
2010-03-10, 03:11 AM
Kosj looks surprised for a moment. "If it's dark, then why don't you just use your darkvision like me?" After a brief pause, he suddenly starts thinking deeply about something, before realising his mistake. "Oh, sorry, I forgot you people can't do that. Don't worry, I've got something for it just..." Kosj reaches into his backpack, fumbles about for a few seconds, and brings out a foot long iron rod, tipped with gold. "This." Kosj smacks the end on the floor, and the golden tip spews forth light, illuminating the whole room. He passes the rod over to Golvath; "There you go, now lets go down!"

Not sure whether openly referring to Darkvision is IC or Metagaming; I'll note your opinion down for future reference.

Kobold-Bard
2010-03-10, 11:48 AM
...Not sure whether openly referring to Darkvision is IC or Metagaming; I'll note your opinion down for future reference.

Things like that are ok, because Darkvision/seeing in the dark aren't too different. Try to keep it out of OotS style references though please because it's funny in a comic, but annoys me in games.

Trulhammaren
2010-03-10, 01:57 PM
"Very well." Golvath takes the rod and starts to make his way down the hole.

[roll0] - Climb, if I need it
[roll1] - Listen, anything funky
[roll2] - Spot however useless it might be

Kobold-Bard
2010-03-10, 02:38 PM
((I completely forgot about Climb checks, thanks Trul :smallbiggrin: DC10 everyone, DC15 if you're doing it one handed like Golvath is.

You hear assorted vermin, but nothing concrete. You see rungs of stone built into the side of the tunnel you're going down and your own feet.))

As you descend you go through 50ft of enclosed space before is suddenly opens up into a room maybe 30ft square. It is dreary grey stone, mossy but dry. There are bat droppings scattered across the floor and two very conspicuous broken skeletons directly opposite one another, one on either side of the only door which is opposite you on the other side of the room.

There is no other light besides you.

Melamoto
2010-03-10, 05:08 PM
Kosj surveys his surroundings briefly. "Skeletons...creepy. Were they intruders who fell victim to traps, or did the old wizard simply have a cruel streak? They can't be placed that way by chance though; I think this is a warning. Still, a job's a job. I'd recommend we exercise caution as long as we remain down here." Kosj creeps forward, and examines the door to make sure that it is safe.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Kumo
2010-03-10, 05:10 PM
Climb
[roll0]

Mordio gritted his teeth, holstered his weapons, and climbed down into the hole, feeling his muscles strain as he heads deeper and deeper into the dark. His eyes worked alright if there was a little light, so he didn't have an issue seeing anything. However, he had a bit of trouble keeping his arms moving. The climb was definitely a workout for the changeling.

When he reached the bottom, he jumped down and sighed, breathing a little deeper.

Melamoto
2010-03-10, 05:20 PM
Forgot about the Climb Roll...
[roll0]
...and I got a fairly substantial failure apparently.

Kobold-Bard
2010-03-10, 06:09 PM
((Kosj takes 2 points of damage. Luckily Kobold's are light so he bounces rather than slams :smallcool:)

Kobold-Bard
2010-03-15, 04:34 AM
((Sorry, missed those rolls :smallredface:))

Kosj:
Spot: The door is wood, but unlike last time is very solid with iron hinges.
Listen: You hear nothing of relevance.
Search: There are no traps that you can see. The skeletons are armed with rusted weaponry.

Simba
2010-03-15, 04:41 AM
Kar'ish

Kar'ish follows the others down the hole, carefully following the Kobold who lost his grip.

Climb: [roll0]

Melamoto
2010-03-15, 11:15 AM
"Well, it looks pretty safe to me. The door's in better condition than the last, but that's probably just because its been left alone down here. I bet that this time, nothing could possibly go wrong with opening the door." Kosj stands up straight, grasps the door handle, and quickly pushes it open.

Kumo
2010-03-15, 11:29 AM
Mordio groaned. "You just had to go and say that, didn't you?" He asked, eyes scanning the room.

Spot
[roll0]

Listen
[roll1]

Kobold-Bard
2010-03-15, 01:01 PM
Mordio sees and hears nothing change.

The door is locked.

Melamoto
2010-03-15, 01:48 PM
Kosj stares blankly for a moment. "Oh. Well, ok then, it's not like a lock ever stopped me before...in helping others." Kosj takes out a set of finely crafted thieves tools, labelled "For helping others". He gets to work on the lock expertly, picking it like he's quite often picked before.
[roll0]

Kobold-Bard
2010-03-15, 04:41 PM
((Ok that's a natural 1. Normally that would break your thieves tools but you're Level 1 and really quite poor. Any suggestions?))

Melamoto
2010-03-15, 04:58 PM
((We could say I actually end up ruining the locking mechanism, making it completely unworkable.))

Kobold-Bard
2010-03-15, 04:59 PM
Kosj attempts to pick the lock. However his head is still reeling from dropping off the ladder and he manages to wreck the mechanism, meaning it can't be unlocked even if they had the key.

Melamoto
2010-03-15, 05:20 PM
Kosj looks at the lock with deep frustration. "A lock RARELY stops me. Damn, our only option now is to just break it down. I didn't bring any hammers or saws with me however, does anybody else have any ideas?"

Kumo
2010-03-15, 05:23 PM
Mordio rubbed his chin. "Sarcastic comments about the word 'never' would be too obviou- oh, you meant getting past it." He chuckled. "Sorry." He said, sounding perfectly genuine. "Well, we could all try ramming it at once, or at least, say, the two strongest people here."

Trulhammaren
2010-03-15, 06:50 PM
"Or I can just break through it. I've had to break through tunnel collapses before, a wooden door shouldn't be to much of a problem."

Golvath hands the rod to the kobold and takes a swing at the door with his hammer.

Sunder - Attack: [roll0] (4 bab, 4 2hander, 2 combat engineer, 4 improved sunder
Damage: [roll1] (ignore up to 10 hardness from combat engineer)

Kobold-Bard
2010-03-15, 07:04 PM
Golvath smashes the **** out of the door, his blow shattering it with an almighty BOOM!!, splinters and chunks of wood flying into the next room.

Kumo
2010-03-15, 07:59 PM
Mordio stared at the door for a full four seconds before speaking. "If i ever start to seriously tick any of you - particularly this guy - off, please remind me of this particular moment of our adventure and i will promptly shut up." He said calmly before bringing his eyes up to scan the room that had just been opened.

Spot
[roll0]

Listen
[roll1]

Simba
2010-03-16, 01:35 AM
Kar'ish

Standing bye as the others work on the door, Kar'ish looks relieved when nothing jumps out to eat them. He keeps an eye on the room and especially the opening they came down through, watching the party's back.

Kobold-Bard
2010-03-16, 08:42 AM
Inside the room there are 4 stone platforms, uniformly set two in the front, two behind them. There is broken glass everywhere, along with the odd damaged book. The light just about brushes the back wall, where there is a portcullis-thing blocking another wooden door.

The room stinks of death and rotted flesh, as well as various unfamiliar scents.

Trulhammaren
2010-03-16, 10:43 AM
Readying his hammer, Golvath moves to the front of the group keeping an eye out for anything that might need a swift smashing. "I don't like this one bit."

Spot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]

Kobold-Bard
2010-03-16, 10:52 AM
((Damn you Natural 20's :smallannoyed:))
Volgath:
You see a humanoid body on the floor in a pool of blood. It is an elderly male, seemingly Elven. He holds a crystal rod in his hand. It is purple and dull, with cracks running up and down it, one of them is a fairly severe fracture.

Trulhammaren
2010-03-16, 10:55 AM
Pointing out an apparently elven body not to far from the group, "There's a body down here and by the looks of the blood, it might be fairly recent. Someone go check on the body, I'll be watching your back."

He will move with whomever goes to the body, keeping within arms reach, should his hammer be needed.

Melamoto
2010-03-16, 11:47 AM
Kosj

Kosj, after staring in shock, confusion and fear for a few brief moments, walks in the room after everyone. He stops in surprise at the body, and backs away slowly. "Yeah, somebody really ought to check the body. " He turns to Kar'ish. "How about you go over there and check? Seems just your sort of thing."

Simba
2010-03-16, 01:40 PM
Kar'ish

Kar'ish moves over to the body, careful not to disturb anything, and examines it and its surroundings. He murmurs a little to himself, looking around once more.

Take your choice of rolls needed:
Heal (I guess this covers the examination of wounds): [roll0]
Spot: [roll1]
Search: [roll2]

The Scent feat might help in some cases.

Casting: Detect Magic

Simba
2010-03-17, 02:56 AM
Kar'ish

After taking a deep breath to check for odd smells, Kar'ish suddenly becomes pale and doubles over, looking decidedly sick: "It stinky like death." he manages to say as he slowly rights himself, one hand pressing his nostrils together to stave off the stink: "Arghhhhh"

Kumo
2010-03-17, 10:15 AM
"Yeah, funny thing about dieing, it has some harsh side effects. Including becoming a lot less aromatic." Mordio muttered, rubbing his temples. "Except to ghouls. They love it." He lets the others examine the corpse and keeps his eyes scanning the rest of the room.

Spot
[roll0]

Listen
[roll1]

Kobold-Bard
2010-03-18, 04:09 PM
@Simba:
The wounds were caused by a variety of sources, slashes and blunt blows cover him.
He is wearing a leather apron which is scorched and damaged and there are assorted notes in his pocket, none of which is particularly interesting.
The smell in here is from all around, not just him specifically. Not that he isn't a key cause.
There is faint magic on him, but to investigate you'll have to get in closer, which will not be fun.

@Kumo:
There are hairline cracks in two of the platforms.
One of the books is intact.
There are blood footprints occasionally on the floor.

Tacitus
2010-03-18, 05:11 PM
Horfire

Without much of any effort at all the ghastly half-elf descend the ladder, upside-down on the wrong side mind you, and scuttles across the ceiling where he hangs for a few moments to give the room a cursory glance before he descends one of the walls. He does his best not to breathe in too much of the staleness of death and decay, but with the stench so pervassive there isn't much choice. The soft bounce of a ball striking the floor starts up as he glances to the others, "Anyone want to check the portcullis?"

Kumo
2010-03-18, 05:26 PM
Mordio frowned as he knelt down to the floor. "Hey guys, there's some bloody footprints here," he gestured to the platforms, "and i don't think those are safe to walk on." Mordio stood up and took another look. Out of the corner of his eye he saw a book that looked relatively undamaged compared to the others. He frowned and walked over to pick it up.

Trulhammaren
2010-03-18, 06:40 PM
Seeing Kar'ish become sickened by the smell of the room, Golvath set his hammer down to make sure the Shifter was ok. When he was sure it was nothing too serious he remembered the purple crystalline rod that he had initially seen when he first noticed the body.

Removing the artifact from the body, Golvath called out to his companions. "Anyone happen to know what this is?"

Tacitus
2010-03-19, 02:12 PM
Fire

He spares a glance towards the goliath and the crystal rod before shaking his head, "Not much for crystal myself, sorry." He turns his gaze back to the portcullis and, lifting himself up onto the walls, heads over to inspect it.

Kobold-Bard
2010-03-19, 02:16 PM
The book is an instruction manual that details the creation process for making flesh golems.

Nothing happens as you reach the portcullis. There is an alcove behind it.

Kumo
2010-03-19, 02:27 PM
Mordio stared at the book for a moment, then shut it calmly. "Uh, guys?" He turned back to them, a sheepish fear-grin on his face. "We may have a problem here. Unless anyone knows an easy way to destroy flesh golems?"

Tacitus
2010-03-19, 02:35 PM
Fire

While looking through the porcullis rater intently he hears Mordio speak somewhere in the room behind him. He nearly falls off the wall as he glances backwards rather quickly, "A flesh golem? What the hell are you talking about?"

Spot check through the portcullis? I know you mentioned a wooden door on theother side, but what does the alcove look like? How big is it beween said portcullis and door? Am I terribly confused?

Kobold-Bard
2010-03-19, 02:49 PM
You see that there is no door and that was just a trick your mind played on you. ((There is no door. That was a mistake :smallredface:))

You see nothing in the alcove, though with light you can see you blood on the floor.

Melamoto
2010-03-19, 02:51 PM
"Flesh Golems? Big scary monsters capable of ripping a man in two, crazed unnatural berserkers that should never have existed? Those flesh golems?" Kosj looks around sheepishly for a moment, and steps slightly closer to Golvath. "What makes you think we'd be finding them?"

Tacitus
2010-03-19, 03:03 PM
Fire

The half-elf begins pacing along the wall, rubbing his chin in thought as he does so. He looks over to the others after hearing the berserk bit, "So we've got a rotting dead man, a crystal rod, a ton of blood, and an alcove with a portcullis. You think maybe, assuming for the moment that there was at one point a flesh golem in the area, the rod was related to the golem and it went berserk and killed everyone?"

Kumo
2010-03-19, 03:44 PM
Mordrio shrugged and held out the book. "They were definitely researching methods to create one. Problem is, once you make a golem, it isn't easy to kill. And if these guys were weak enough to lose control of it, they probably weren't powerful enough to stop it from killing them, either."

Melamoto
2010-03-24, 11:05 AM
"So you're saying there's a very real possibility that there is a murderous monstrosity wondering around here, waiting for someone to kill?" Kosj gulps, looks around a bit, and quietly asks, "How much did they say they were paying us for this?"

Simba
2010-03-24, 11:21 AM
Kar'ish

Recovering from his initial shock, the shifter takes out a piece of cloth, pours some water over it and uses it to cover his nose. Then he once more concentrates on the faint traces of magic on the body i front of him, doing his best to ignore the stink.

Kumo
2010-03-24, 03:11 PM
Mordio sighed and pulled the book back to him, placing it in his pack. It could come in handy later. "Calm down, Kobold whose name i forget, it doesn't matter at this point. We were just supposed to find out what happened here, and we have: flesh golem. Let's get out of here before it shows up, our chances of beating a flesh golem are pretty slim."

Tacitus
2010-03-25, 05:21 PM
Fire

Returning to the portcullis the warlock is back to rubbing on his chin with the ocassional glance to the indicated bloody footprints and the portcullis. For a moment he studies it and then begins trying to pry it out of place and open it up, "Ye with the giant hammer. Come 'ere and gimme a hand with this."

Strength! [roll0]

Tug, Tug, FAIL

Kobold-Bard
2010-03-25, 05:26 PM
Tug, Tug, FAIL

Must...resist...innuendo...

Trulhammaren
2010-03-25, 05:46 PM
Pocketing the crystal rod, Golvath heads over to the portcullis. Taking a look around he makes an educated guess what the warlock wanted, due to the way he mentioned the hammer.

"I'd move, if I were you."

Unless the warlock doesn't move or otherwise impede his progress, Golvath takes a mighty swing at the object impeding the groups progress.

Sunder: Attack - [roll0]
Damage - [roll1] (ignore 10 hardness)

Kobold-Bard
2010-03-25, 05:59 PM
Volgath's attack is so precise that the portcullis not only buckles, it completely disconnects from the wall before effectively turning to dust. It's not over though, a door is revealed at the back of the alcove (which is about big enough for a human to stand in, just fyi) as the force of the blow knocks it wide.

As a sort of final "reward", one of the cracks that extends out from the wall reveals a hidden wall panel to the left of the alcove. Inside are three bottles containing different coloured liquids, a highly polished darkwood stick, and a leather pouch.

Tacitus
2010-03-26, 12:00 AM
Fire

The warlock is barely able to scramble away from the goliath, clambering across the wall at speed, before the terrible crash of his hammer decimates the old portcullis and the alcove beyond. Once the particulate remains of the wrought iron begins to settle he slowly wanders back over to peer into the alcove, "God damn son, what the hell have they been feeding you?" He doesn't reach into the alcove or try to slide inside to the door beyond, leaving whatever spoils there may be for the goliath after his terrific display of brawn. That and, well, he sure as hell doesn't want to be the first one to walk into a secret room with blood pooled at its entrance.

Kobold-Bard
2010-03-29, 03:19 PM
((Sooooo....who wants to do something?))

Kumo
2010-03-29, 03:21 PM
Mordio watched as the steel and rock crumbled like cardboard and the debris cascaded. He was silent for a few moments before he got down on his knees and started praying.

"I know i'm not a very pious person, but PLEEEEEEEASE oh beloved gods in heaven, don't let me be stupid enough to get on this guy's bad side."

Tacitus
2010-04-03, 01:54 AM
Fire

With a sigh and a roll of the eyes the eccentric man slips past the goliath to gather up the strange objects and push his way into the new room... along the ceiling.

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-05, 12:01 PM
Through the door is a descending staircase. It is pitch dark but the light from the torch is sufficient for seeing. It gets colder as you descend for a full 5 minutes before you reach a small room at the bottom.

There is a torch bracket on the wall with a torch in it. The room is cold and a little damp, but the torch is dry. There is a lever in the floor in the opposite corner to the staircase.

Tacitus
2010-04-06, 12:03 AM
Fire

When the staircase opens up into a room the half-elf scrambles along the wall to examine the room in detail and then the lever.

Spot/search?
Search: [roll1]

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-06, 05:23 AM
You notice the floor. It is below you :smalltongue:

Simba
2010-04-06, 05:46 AM
Kar'ish is still trying to find out more about the magic on the body.

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-06, 05:57 AM
Kar'ish is still trying to find out more about the magic on the body.

Oh. What were you trying?

Simba
2010-04-06, 06:39 AM
This:

[QUOTE=Kobold-Bard;8104977]@Simba:
The wounds were caused by a variety of sources, slashes and blunt blows cover him.
He is wearing a leather apron which is scorched and damaged and there are assorted notes in his pocket, none of which is particularly interesting.
The smell in here is from all around, not just him specifically. Not that he isn't a key cause.
There is faint magic on him, but to investigate you'll have to get in closer, which will not be fun.

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-06, 07:10 AM
did you roll/cast something?

Simba
2010-04-06, 07:34 AM
Detect magic is running, you said I needed more time for it to analyze. Let me know if you need another roll or spell.

Melamoto
2010-04-08, 04:28 AM
Kosj examines the body a little more closely searching for anything of interest, or for valuables.
[roll0]
If he finds anything of interest, he'll pocket it before moving on through the door cautiously.

At the bottom of the stairs, he takes a look at the room around him. "Wizards, always trying to be tricky about their own houses." He goes forward and examines the lever, trying to see if it is linked to a trap.
[roll1]

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-08, 04:33 AM
Kosj only:
You find an amulet in the apron pocket, though if you want to get it without Simba's character noticing you'll need a spoilered slight of hand roll.

There are no traps on the lever, though you do notice a series of cogs connecting it to another room.

Simba
2010-04-08, 04:34 AM
Kar'ish

After finishing his thorrow investigation of the corpse, Kar'ish follows the others, forming the new rearguard. "Necromancy...arghh, disgusting!" he mutters to himself as he slowly regains mastery of his composure.

Tacitus
2010-04-08, 04:45 AM
Fire

The warlock laughs as he wanders about the ceiling, "I'll keep in mind your dislike of necromancy if I ever get my hands on a wand designed to cure wounds. Nasty stuff, that Necromantic White."

>.> It may be a pime taradox and I might be referencing a whole different game with Necromantic White, but it had to be said so I don't care. XP

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-08, 05:00 AM
((I don't get it (I think), but if you mean that healing is necromancy then it's all good. Though technically Cure/Inflict spells are evocation in my games :smalltongue:))

Simba
2010-04-08, 05:16 AM
((CLW is conjuration(healing) officially, as are the other cure spells.))

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-08, 05:21 AM
((CLW is conjuration(healing) officially, as are the other cure spells.))

((You should really look at the misc. section in my houserules.))

Melamoto
2010-04-08, 06:34 AM
[roll0]

Simba
2010-04-08, 08:55 AM
((You should really look at the misc. section in my houserules.))

((That's why there is an 'officially' in my post, I know that rule of yours.))

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-08, 08:56 AM
((That's why there is an 'officially' in my post, I know that rule of yours.))

((Fair enough.))

Tacitus
2010-04-16, 03:27 PM
Fire

For several long moments the warlock studies the lever as Kosj inspects it. Once the man is finished without any apparent surprise he simply reaches out and attempts to move said lever.

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-18, 07:59 AM
Pulling the lever unleashes an unholy screech like nothing you've ever heard before, it chills you to your core.

The wall section next to the lever moves aside, revealing a corridor that is blocked at the other end.

-------------------
Search/spot please.

Kumo
2010-04-18, 10:43 AM
Mordio gritted his teeth and pulled out his daggers, eyes scanning the area ahead. "This can't be good." He muttered.

Search
[roll0]
Spot
[roll1]

Tacitus
2010-04-18, 01:56 PM
Fire

The warlock peers around the corner from his perch on the wall, "Secret doors composed entirely of stone operated by levers. Nah, I think this must be something quite god, actually."

"Arrow slits... we need to be careful passing through this corridor, I suspect traps or perhaps an isolation chamber to put down unruly test subjects. Scratches on the walls makes me think of the latter, given that we've seen evidence of golem building already."

Melamoto
2010-04-18, 02:07 PM
Kosj

Kosj backs away quickly and makes sure that there are plenty of allies between him and the door. He waits for the others to lead the way, making sure that it is safe.

Tacitus
2010-04-18, 02:43 PM
Sorry, I hadn't thought anyone had posted. Added an edit to my last post.

Trulhammaren
2010-04-18, 09:55 PM
Golvath readies his hammer as the noise pierces the air.

[roll0] - Spot
[roll1] - Search

I'm going off of memory for my mods right now, I can't get on mythweavers from where I'm at right now, so please check my Spot and Search mods and adjust accordingly.

Melamoto
2010-04-19, 05:05 AM
[roll0]
[roll1], 24 for the purpose of finding traps

Simba
2010-04-20, 12:30 AM
Kar'ish

Kar'ish scans the coridor, just like the others.

Melamoto
2010-04-21, 10:15 AM
Kosj steps ahead of everyone else. "I would stand back if I were you, this looks like it could be trapped." Kosj examines the corridor, trying to search for traps while not activating them.

[roll0]

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-21, 11:57 AM
Kosj:
The little lever above the door does seem to connect to something, but it's too high up your your little Kobold self to reach :smallwink: