PDA

View Full Version : Three Pronged Assault (Level 9 Spell)

Lysander
2010-01-03, 06:04 PM
This is an idea for a powerful level 9 spell that attacks a target with three weaker spells, each requiring a different kind of save. That way it's likely that at least one of spells will get past a save the target is weak at.

Three Pronged Assault
Universal
Level: Sor/Wiz 9
Components: V, S, M, XP
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: See text
Target: See text
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: See text
Spell Resistance: Yes

You simultaneously attack a target with three spells: Fireball, Feeblemind, and Flesh to Stone. Treat them as three separate spells of their own normal spell level (3rd for Fireball, 5th for Feeblemind, 6th for Flesh to Stone) with separate saving throws, except if counterspelled Three Pronged Assault counts as a single 9th level spell. A target will only be affected by spells it is vulnerable to and in range of. You can choose to substitute Magic Missile (with a single target) for one or more of the three spells, or to not cast all three spells.

Material Component
The components for the three spells:
Fireball: A tiny ball of bat guano and sulfur.
Feeblemind: A handful of clay, crystal, glass, or mineral spheres.
Flesh to Stone: Lime, water, and earth.
If the caster only has some of the material components they may cast Three Pronged Assault and only produce the spells they have components for. No material component is needed to substitute Magic Missile.

XP Cost
It is possible to cast spells from barred schools with Three Pronged Assault but you must pay 100xp per barred spell cast, except for Magic Missile which incurs no XP cost.

Milskidasith
2010-01-03, 06:09 PM
This is weak. There's a third level save or suck (Great thunderclap) that targets three saves for seperate save or suck effects. Getting a bad damage and two save or sucks in a ninth level spell is strictly worse than just quickening one save or suck spell and casting another.

Lysander
2010-01-03, 06:32 PM
This is weak. There's a third level save or suck (Great thunderclap) that targets three saves for seperate save or suck effects. Getting a bad damage and two save or sucks in a ninth level spell is strictly worse than just quickening one save or suck spell and casting another.

True, but Feeblemind is a particularly nasty spell against other arcane casters, and if quickened along with Flesh to Stone would require a 9th level spell slot to cast anyway. This effectively lets you cast a quickened Feeblemind, along with a free casting of Flesh to Stone and Fireball.

Plus, you can still cast a quickened spell alongside this, giving you four spells in one round.

deuxhero
2010-01-03, 07:07 PM
I can cast gate and get another caster for 4 spells in one round for a number of turns.

GenPol
2010-01-03, 09:23 PM
Not a bad spell at all, but when comparing it to other 9th level spells (Wish, for example), it doesn't seem like it's on the same level. Maybe as an 8th level spell? If you jack up the price of the spell components and the casting time, it might even be a 7th level spell.

Gorgondantess
2010-01-03, 10:36 PM
I say make it a full-round action to cast (3 spells at once, eh?) And make it 7th level. Or mix it up a bit- maybe substitute fireball with disintegrate, or something along those lines.

arguskos
2010-01-03, 10:40 PM
I'd make it level 7, full-round, and swap Fireball for Acid Storm (SpC, radius 20 ft, CLd6 acid damage caps at 15d6). Gives it some more punch, makes it really worth the effort.

I DO like the idea of combined spells in the Universal school and casting as one. It's a great idea and I really like it. ^_^

Milskidasith
2010-01-03, 11:02 PM
I like the idea, I'm not complaining about that. It's just that it's a lot easier to replicate the effects of the spell without needing anything; but a full round with disintegrate or a reflex SoD (are there reflex SoDs?) works out nicely.

arguskos
2010-01-04, 12:45 AM
I like the idea, I'm not complaining about that. It's just that it's a lot easier to replicate the effects of the spell without needing anything; but a full round with disintegrate or a reflex SoD (are there reflex SoDs?) works out nicely.
Reflex Save or Die? Uh... I am unaware of any, but they surely exist. Here's a thought: Explosive Lingering Flames. That's pretty rough, if an 8th level equivalent (though, Explosive shouldn't be a +2 honestly).

Actually, on that thought, perhaps Lingering Flames would make a good Fireball replacement. It does more damage over time. Seems like a good thing to combine with some brutal stopping spells (Solid Fog or somesuch would be great here). Perhaps a combo of Feeblemind/Lingering Flames/high-end paralyze or stun effect would be good for this?

Lysander
2010-01-04, 08:38 AM
Thanks for the good advice everyone. I think making it 8th level with acid storm instead of fireball is a working solution.

Here's another take on the spell:

Triplecast
Universal
Level: Sor/Wiz 9
Components: V, S, See text
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: See text
Target: See text
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: See text
Spell Resistance: See text

Pick three spells you know of level 6 or lower. One must allow a reflex save, one must allow a fortitude save, one must allow a will save, and all must have an instantaneous duration. All three spells must be used to target the same creature or object and/or cause an effect in the space it currently occupies. These spells do not necessarily have to be harmful. You cast all three spells simultaneously within a single standard action. This counts as three separate spells rather than one, with each spell counting as a spell of its own normal level. Counterspelling Triplecast is difficult. To counterspell it a person must make three seperate spellcraft checks to identify each spell you're casting, and then they can usually only choose one of the three to attempt to counterspell. Triplecast can be used to counter all three spells at once, as can applicable epic spells with the dispel seed.

You must pay all normal material and xp costs, and have any required focus of each spell.