PDA

View Full Version : naked kobold build, need input

Soranar
2010-01-03, 06:43 PM
Race : jungle kobold (with delusions of grandeur)
Alignment: any Good

STATS (32 pts buy)

STR 4
DEX 20
CON 14
INT 10
WIS 14
CHA 8

perks of the build :
-your unarmed strikes are eventually considered +5 Good silver/cold iron weapons
-your DEX does everything
-low strength becomes irrelevant by level 6 and the campaign in mind starts there so it shouldn't be a problem
-swordsage gives me airwalk to kill flying ennemies and tons of other options

not sure what to take after level 16, beast strike (make natural damage stack with unarmed strike) seems pointless since my claws/bite only do 1d3 anyway

EDIT add Feeble (-2 to all STR,DEX, CON skill checks),Inattentive (-4 to spot and listen), Poor Reflexes (-3 reflex saves) and Unreactive (-6 to ini)

1 Swordsage (unarmed variant) sacred vow, dragon tail,vow of poverty, weapon finesse
2 Swordsage bonus feat weapon focus unarmed strike
3 Swordsage multiattack
4 Swordsage
5 Swordsage
6 Swordsage shadow blade (DEX on damage)
7 Swordsage
8 Swordsage
9 Dragon Shen improved multiattack
10 Dragon Shen bonus feat unarmed considered silver weapon
11 Dragon Shen
12 Dragon Shen ?
13 Dragon Shen
14 Dragon Shen bonus feat unarmed considered cold iron weapon
15 Dragon Shen ?
16 Dragon Shen
17 ?
18 ?
19 ?
20 ?

JaronK
2010-01-03, 07:10 PM
First off, consider being a Dragonborn Jungle Kobold. -2 Dex, +2 Con as compared to your current build, but you also could get wings. That's very handy for a VoP build. You also lose light sensitivity.

Fitting in Monk 6/Shou Disciple 5 would give you a bunch more flurry attacks and decent BAB, but flurry doesn't do well with most manuevers, so that's a judgement call.

If flaws are allowed, taking them would be wise. That way you could get VoP much earlier, meaning you get more feats (though admittedly most exalted feats aren't worthwhile at all). And of course there's always Dragonwrought, which would allow you to be venerable for +3 to all mental stats and give you the various dragon bonuses. Shouldn't be overpowered in a VoP melee build.

JaronK

Glyde
2010-01-03, 08:07 PM
No Vow of Nudity? ;)

FishAreWet
2010-01-03, 08:26 PM
When it comes to unarmed builds, try to maximize that weapon damage. Fist of the Forest can go a long way.

Soranar
2010-01-03, 08:29 PM
yeah, no way I'm getting power attack with a kobold so fist of the forest is out, flaws could work though,I'll need to ask the DM

lesser_minion
2010-01-03, 09:47 PM
No Vow of Nudity? ;)

No homebrew, presumably.

Unless there's an official one that I don't know about.

Soranar
2010-01-03, 10:04 PM
homebrew feats

unlikely killer

prerequisite: must be a kobold or a goblinoid

each time you kill a creature of 4 HD or more with your natural weapons each creature within 30 ft must make a saving throw vs fear (DC 10+ creature HD) or be shaken

vow of nudity

exalted feat

you may not wear clothes or armor of any kind

benefits: you are immune to the natural elements related damage (rain, snow, desert heat, etc) and gain resistance 10 to Cold, Fire, Acid, Sonic, Lightning

Glyde
2010-01-03, 10:53 PM
Actually, the Vow of Nudity was a rather popular (At least I thought so) homebrew by Talya, another playgrounder.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45529

Oh and sorry about my comment earlier, didn't know if homebrew was allowed - and I was being a little tongue-in-cheek anyway.

SurlySeraph
2010-01-03, 11:01 PM
You're starting at level 6, right? If so, I'd switch the order in which you take Shadow Blade and Weapon Finesse. Extra damage is pointless if you never hit. Before you take WF, you have a -3 to melee attacks; afterwards you have +5. A difference of 8 is noticeable at any level. I don't remember whether WF is on the Swordsage bonus feat list, but if it is you should take it rather than Weapon Focus (unarmed) at 2nd level.

I assume you're using the Unarmed Swordsage variant? If so, consider taking Improved Natural Attack and/or Superior Unarmed Strike to boost your unarmed damage further. Snap Kick for another attack is an option you might consider.

If your DM rules that you can get an Amulet of Natural Attacks enchanted with weapon properties (which I believe you can by RAW), get one with Wounding and work on getting as many attacks as you can.

I would second JaronK's recommendation of Shou Disciple, though it's your call.

I'd continue Swordsage at levels 17-20, for more maneuvers.

d13
2010-01-03, 11:13 PM
With a single flaw, you could work wonders with that build

Flaw. Sacred Vow
1 (UnSw). Vow of Poverty
2 (UnSw Bonus). Weapon Focus Unarmed Strike
3 (UnSw). Weapon Finesse
6 (UnSw). Shadow Blade
9 (DS). Improved Natural Attack
10 (DS). Unarmed Strikes considered Silver Weapons.
12 (DS). Superior Unarmed Strike
14 (DS). Unarmed Strikes considered Cold Iron Weapons.
15 (DS). Multiattack or Snap Kick
16 (DS)......

As for the rest of the levels (17-20), you could always fill in with more Swordsage. You'd get Evasion at level 17, and more maneuver goodness.

Random question: Does Touch of Golden Ice (was that the name? :smallconfused:) trigger when you punch someone/thing?

Soranar
2010-01-04, 12:40 AM
alright, just to remind people I cannot use ANY item or armor because of vow of poverty so no amulet that give you manic claws

my DM just told me I am allowed to take multiple flaws (as long as they actually affect me)

kobolds (outside of sorcerers) are so weak he doubts I can munchkin myself something decent

so I intend to take several as kobolds are weak and it just adds to the fun

add Feeble (-2 to all STR,DEX, CON skill checks),Inattentive (-4 to spot and listen), Poor Reflexes (-3 reflex saves) and Unreactive (-6 to ini)

I agree that I should take weapon finesse earlier so I intend to take that feat , I also intend to take dragon tail (dunno how I forgot to take that!) to gain another natural attack and start with Vow of Poverty to maximize nymph's kiss (+1 skillpoints per level)

with access to airwalk through shadowhand stances I don't see the point of having wings (considering the cost in feats) so I'm going to avoid them

that still liberates 2 feats to either improve the build or qualify for a prestige class

and yes touch of golden ice works with unarmed strikes

Tyndmyr
2010-01-04, 12:46 AM
VoP is not level specific, right? IE, there's no particular reason to take it at level 1, you always get the same bennies?

If so, put it as late as legally possible, and spend the moneys paying a wizard to permanency stuff on you. I mean...why not? Its not as if the moneys any good once you take the vow, and magical effects from spells are completely kosher.

Soranar
2010-01-04, 12:53 AM
hum, my DM is already letting me use multiple flaws, not sure how he's feel about a permanently enlarged kobold (assuming that's what you had in mind)

Tyndmyr
2010-01-04, 12:56 AM
Eh, up to you what you go for. Detect Magic is a handy thing to have permanencied, IMO. Especially when looting magic items can make you lose the bennies of VoP, you want to make sure not to do it accidentally.

Enlarge is the most obviously useful, but it only makes you medium. Good for damage, bad for other stuff. I don't know if it's really a big power shifter. The idea of being a really big kobold is amusing though.

Soranar
2010-01-04, 12:59 AM
actually swordsage makes you able to detect magic at level 7, besides I'm not allowed to use anything outside of basic clothing (at level 5 I stop needing to eat and drink from VoP) and simple weapons

Deth Muncher
2010-01-04, 01:01 AM
Eh, up to you what you go for. Detect Magic is a handy thing to have permanencied, IMO. Especially when looting magic items can make you lose the bennies of VoP, you want to make sure not to do it accidentally.

Enlarge is the most obviously useful, but it only makes you medium. Good for damage, bad for other stuff. I don't know if it's really a big power shifter. The idea of being a really big kobold is amusing though.

I'd say Arcane Sight would be better. It IS Detect Magic's big brother.

Kylarra
2010-01-04, 01:03 AM
VoP is not level specific, right? IE, there's no particular reason to take it at level 1, you always get the same bennies?

If so, put it as late as legally possible, and spend the moneys paying a wizard to permanency stuff on you. I mean...why not? Its not as if the moneys any good once you take the vow, and magical effects from spells are completely kosher.VoP is "level specific" in terms of gaining bonus exalted feats.

Glyde
2010-01-04, 10:09 AM
I don't think you can take VoP at say, 18, and get all the benefits from it that were already there. I always thought it was a 'build from here' thing. But I guess if the only thing you didn't get was exalted feats then it would make sense-ish.

Kylarra
2010-01-04, 11:25 AM
I don't think you can take VoP at say, 18, and get all the benefits from it that were already there. I always thought it was a 'build from here' thing. But I guess if the only thing you didn't get was exalted feats then it would make sense-ish.Pretty much you can just figure out how many exalted feats you want and then take it at that point.