PDA

View Full Version : (4e) Do you roll up your own characters or use DDI?

Ozreth
2010-01-03, 09:04 PM
Heya! Was wondering if the majority of 4e players roll up characters using pencil, paper, and the books or if you just hop onto the DDI character builder?

Theodoric
2010-01-03, 09:08 PM
Not everyone has acces to DDI, you know. :smallwink:

Mystic Muse
2010-01-03, 09:17 PM
I use pointbuy calculators on the net usually.

GenPol
2010-01-03, 09:18 PM
I use both, depending on the situation. I usually try to use DDI, just because it compiles all classes/races/feats/backgrounds/etc from all published WotC material.

However, it's nice to have a penciled in character sheet because it's easily editable (assuming you don't carry a laptop with you wherever you go), and is more suited to homebrew rules. There is some way to add homebrew rules to DDI, but it's cumbersome and annoying.

So, yeah, I guess it depends on the situation. I sometimes make the actual sheet with pencil, but keep a copy online so I have all published options in front of me while creating/leveling a character.

DDI is actually pretty affordable too when you split the cost evenly among a five person gaming group. :smallbiggrin:

tcrudisi
2010-01-03, 09:35 PM
However, it's nice to have a penciled in character sheet because it's easily editable (assuming you don't carry a laptop with you wherever you go), and is more suited to homebrew rules. There is some way to add homebrew rules to DDI, but it's cumbersome and annoying.

Before this last update, I would have agreed with you completely. It seems to me that they are changing that though, as the char builder becomes a much more powerful and versatile tool. I always use the char builder as I enjoy how easy it is to make a character with it, but I can understand this criticism. But, as a rebuttal, give it a couple more months and I think it'll be as close to perfect as it can be, including introducing homebrew rules. You can already do many homebrew rules with it right now.

Mando Knight
2010-01-03, 09:44 PM
I use DDI for working with builds and such, especially since I don't have a face-to-face game going right now. If I did, then I'd use it to shuffle around feats and such to plan my build in advance, but scribble down the stuff by hand.

Curmudgeon
2010-01-03, 09:59 PM
I don't have a DDI subscription, but I start with their Character Builder. It's good for levels 1-3, I believe.

Swordgleam
2010-01-03, 10:35 PM
I make my own in Excel (not formula-heavy sheets, just good for formatting), or I use one of my generators.

ninja_penguin
2010-01-03, 11:08 PM
I generally like to Pen and Paper a few things. I can scribble reminders to myself better, and for some reason I can scan information better in my head by using a book.

Although the powers card printout is way superior to having to look the damned things up all the time, or jotting them all on a page.

Colmarr
2010-01-03, 11:11 PM
DDI.

I used to be a diehard pencil'n'paper guy.

Say no more.

Evard
2010-01-03, 11:45 PM
I like to create character concepts (like a "redmage" or specific type of build) but i prefer using pencil and paper for my actual character sheet.

rayne_dragon
2010-01-03, 11:53 PM
I roll my own, with emphasis on the rolling part. Point-buy is for games that aren't D&D. :smallwink:

Just to be clear - I like both 4e and point buy - I just have a personal opinion that the creation of all D&D characters should involve rolling dice. My DM feels the same, fortunately.

Kylarra
2010-01-04, 12:03 AM
I use the charbuilder.

tcrudisi
2010-01-04, 12:28 AM
I roll my own, with emphasis on the rolling part. Point-buy is for games that aren't D&D. :smallwink:

Just to be clear - I like both 4e and point buy - I just have a personal opinion that the creation of all D&D characters should involve rolling dice. My DM feels the same, fortunately.

Either you or I missed the actual question. Here's the way I interpreted his/her question: Do you use the char builder to make your characters or pencil and paper? Considering the char builder can easily be used to randomize stats or you can do point buy with pencil and paper, I think the OP was asking the pencil/paper or char builder question. Whether you prefer point buy or rolling is a topic for another thread. :smallwink:

Nai_Calus
2010-01-04, 02:08 AM
I use Character Builder. I had to make a 5th level Bard without it once, flipping through four different books, two of which weren't even mine, and madly writing stuff down in an attempt to do it quickly. It was obnoxious and miserable and reminded me far too much of the bad old days of 3.5 character gen with endless books that you're getting one feat out of each.

I carry a laptop instead with the character builder on it and just create/update with it and run it from the charsheet viewer.

...Especially for stuff that I'd otherwise be trying to work up from PDFs. Ugh. DDI is worth 10 bucks every few months just for the CB, seriously.

Beleriphon
2010-01-04, 02:23 AM
I carry a laptop instead with the character builder on it and just create/update with it and run it from the charsheet viewer.

http://www.asmor.com/programs/digitalsquire/index.php

You might want to check that out, it lets you run a character right from the character generator file. Its really cool.

Guinea Anubis
2010-01-04, 07:41 AM
I love the CB, its a great tool. I have found one or two little things that bug me that I wish I could figure out how to fix/change. Infact I will just ask here since someone may now. Is there a way to get the DDI CB to count in your feats in to the powers, like weapon/implement expertise?

What I like to do to have both a DDI CB sheet saved on my computer so I can up date it, But I also like to keep a P&P sheet too. I just copy all the stuff from the DDI CB to my P&P sheet

DabblerWizard
2010-01-04, 08:49 AM
I'm also a pencil and paper kind of guy. I checked out the DDI, and it was cool, but, frankly, I enjoy filling out the paper form, watching my ideas and decisions come closer to "completion".

Hal
2010-01-04, 09:08 AM
Oh, I can't imagine playing without the character builder anymore. Having everything worked out on paper for you, it's nice. Though, if I don't know what I'm looking for in, say, a feat or a magic item, I'd still rather be flipping through books.

tcrudisi
2010-01-04, 09:46 AM
Is there a way to get the DDI CB to count in your feats in to the powers, like weapon/implement expertise?

Let's say you selected Orb Expertise as one of your feats. If you have an Orb in your main hand? Well, it'll automatically count in the Expertise feats without you having to do anything. If you don't have an Orb in your main hand? Well, no, it doesn't count the Implement Expertise bonus because you aren't supposed to get the Orb Expertise bonus when using another implement. You can test it by creating any level 1 Wizard, buying the non-magical Orb, and equipping it into your main hand. You'll see your attack mod go from Int mod. to Int mod +1 when you are selecting powers.

Guinea Anubis
2010-01-04, 10:32 AM
Let's say you selected Orb Expertise as one of your feats. If you have an Orb in your main hand? Well, it'll automatically count in the Expertise feats without you having to do anything. If you don't have an Orb in your main hand? Well, no, it doesn't count the Implement Expertise bonus because you aren't supposed to get the Orb Expertise bonus when using another implement. You can test it by creating any level 1 Wizard, buying the non-magical Orb, and equipping it into your main hand. You'll see your attack mod go from Int mod. to Int mod +1 when you are selecting powers.

well I sure feel stupid, I did not even see that I had my implament in my off hand and that it would matter since by RAW you can use eather had as your main hand when ever you feel like it.

valadil
2010-01-04, 11:40 AM
By hand. I don't have a DDI subscription (as the CB can't be emulated in linux) but I still prefer by hand while I'm learning the system. Once I have a better grasp on what goes where in the character sheet I may change my mind.

eepop
2010-01-04, 02:26 PM
I flip through books for ideas, but once I know what I want its all about the character builder. It just speeds up the process so much I can't imagine doing it by hand unless the apocalypse has come and there is no longer any electricity to power my computer.

Gamerlord
2010-01-04, 02:29 PM
I use DDI when I am thinking of my character's advancement, but I write down the details on my dead-tree char sheet.

Thajocoth
2010-01-04, 03:11 PM
I don't like making a decision without seeing all my options, so I use DDI. Otherwise I have to go through every book and Dragon article so many many times to do anything. Even for my first char (there only WAS the PHB at the time), this was more tedious than DDI is now.

Galdor Miriel
2010-01-04, 03:17 PM
I roll all the abilities and use the character builder to put them together, it does not force you to use point buy. I print it off and then use a pencil and paper in the game itself. Who wants a computer in front of them while playing? That would be crazy.

The character builder has very few bugs, or to put it another way, it makes fewer mistakes than I would make with pencil and paper and the ones it does make, I just correct them by hand after reporting the bug.

GM